Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Brits

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Anyone watch the Brits last night?
    saw Mabel and that was it. Her Mum is Nenah Cherry if anyone didn't know that.
    Her Dad is a music producer as well. I thought she was a bit twee but I am far above the age range she would appeal to! 

• Options
    Can't we all just blame Boris?  That's the hip thing to do, I hear.

I mean, he spends most of his time forcing young hooligans to shank people, apparently.  Well when he's not bollocksing up HS2 and flogging the NHS to Jeff Bezos, that is.  Or something.
  • Options
    I know the comments around Dave’s name are tongue in cheek but I’ll explain the reasoning behind it anyway.

His full name is Dave Santan. His mum wanted him to be a banker when he was growing up. So, when he became a rapper, he flipped his two names around so it became ‘Santan Dave’, which sounds like Santander (the bank). However, after recently becoming successful, he dropped the Santan from his stage name.
    Santan at least sounds a bit more interesting than just Dave (sorry to all the Dave's out there).
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Anyone watch the Brits last night?
    saw Mabel and that was it. Her Mum is Nenah Cherry if anyone didn't know that.
    Her Dad is a music producer as well. I thought she was a bit twee but I am far above the age range she would appeal to! 

...and her Uncle is Eagle-Eye Cherry!
  • Options
    I know the comments around Dave’s name are tongue in cheek but I’ll explain the reasoning behind it anyway.

His full name is Dave Santan. His mum wanted him to be a banker when he was growing up. So, when he became a rapper, he flipped his two names around so it became ‘Santan Dave’, which sounds like Santander (the bank). However, after recently becoming successful, he dropped the Santan from his stage name.
    So confusing.

So is this who we’re talking about?:

• Options
    I found this helpful to read up on him.  Classically trained.  I only remember him from the Glastonbury set.  So I am going to download Psychodrama and give it a listen.  Quietly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49764402
  • Options
    And I thought Harry Styles looked at an absolute plonker in each and every outfit he wore.  What the hell was he wearing during his song?  

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    And I thought Harry Styles looked at an absolute plonker in each and every outfit he wore.  What the hell was he wearing during his song?  

The yellow suit and purple gauze cravat was just dreadful! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I am going to explain something very clearly. Society looks at a black person very differently than a white person.

My son is 8, half white, half black. Is consistently in the top 3 or 4 in his class across all subjects.

recently, he was trying to do the right thing and break up a fight in the playground when one of the kids  turned round and punched my son in the eye, my son has had blurry vision ever since and his retina may be permanently damaged.

The playground supervisor said that it was just "black boys being black boys". So if you for a minute going to make light of things you have got another thing coming.

Playground supervisor has outdated borderline racist views and that means we all do ? 

Be Interested (genuinely) to hear what action was taken against the supervisor if this was reported further up the command chain at the school. 
  • Options
    The three outfits in here.  

https://www.vogue.co.uk/miss-vogue/article/harry-styles-brit-awards-2020

At least he has got his own style i suppose... we can slag Harry off cant we, without offending anyone? 

• Options
    Thought lizzo,Celeste, Harry styles, Billy eilish etc were very good 

Rod Stewart was embarrassingly poor 

Seen lots of argument regarding stormzy and Dave...they have the potential to do an enormous amount of good with their work I hope it turns out that way 

• Options
    Curb_It said:

I thought he was performing in a set of my Nan's curtains.
  • Options
    Only saw the clip of Dave doing Black. I thought it was brilliant. Moving, intelligent and relevant. 

This thread however...
  • Options
    This thread is almost as educational as the North Upper Incident thread.

I almost think I know the difference between drill, grime and rap, though am still confused about drill rap and chopped and screwed.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Curb_It said:

The yellow suit and purple gauze cravat was just dreadful! 

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'm keep thinking I'm too old for all  this synth voiced girl music or the tone deaf rap/grime/drill/shite/whatever.
    Then I have a real think, I'm not old and I actually like real music that has lyrics, melody, musicians that can actually play an instrument and "stars" that dont have to make juvenile speeches.
    Lucky for me me my old mother was in the A&E at Woolwich  last night so I got to see the real grit of South East London and was spared ITV and the "best" of British music annual backslapping.  My wife watched it but she is tone deaf, the target audience.
    "Real music". Man, what a concept. That's a great example of generational thinking (not that that's a value judgement, it's just the way it is).

People fully rioted at the 1913 premiere of Rite of Spring in Paris, because the bitonality was "shocking". 

Wagner's contemporaries in Paris almost ubiquitously described his music as lustful, or otherworldly, or tempting - whether it was good or bad though is down to opinion and how socially conservative or liberal you were. Gasperini's response to Tristan and Isolde is basically puritanical - he views the harmony and music as immoral. Would we think that today? Would we view the high range, lack of bass, and descent through alto/tenor to the bass register in the Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin (which was novel exploration of music at the time) as too dangerous or exciting?
    Or maybe I'm onto something and you may  be over playing the "I understand the kids" bit with wordy history.  ;)

Also the French have always loved a riot if wasn't the Rite of Spring it would have something else.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not me, like all genre's of music. Maintain the opinion that Stormzy is shite though, if I may
  • Options
    When I listen to what my son is listening to I feel very old. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Curb_It said:

He was mugged last week, maybe the nicked his best clobber?  ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51548689
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

At least he has got his own style i suppose... we can slag Harry off cant we, without offending anyone? 

Harry fair game for public criticism but Flack not .......?
  • Options
    Just playing devils advocate.
    who are we to judge someone ?

Anyway, off to the player mark thread to slaughter someones career....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Curb_It said:

didn't she fuck him when he was 17 and she was in her 30's?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Curb_It said:

didn't she fuck him when he was 17 and she was in her 30's?
    Don’t tell Rose McGowan, she’ll be up in arms and starting a new movement..... oh hold on ......
  • Options
    C'mon lads there are so many other things that should be drawing our attention tonight...

I'll start with the news that they have uncovered a new Cilla recording AND have released it!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    C'mon lads there are so many other things that should be drawing our attention tonight...

I'll start with the news that they have uncovered a new Cilla recording AND have released it!!!!
    Surprise Surprise
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Also I wouldn't call Dave's album grime in the slightest
    If i can be so bold, I thought Dizzee was grime and Dave more drill? 
    Dizzee is grime, Dave is crap.