Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Bonne done more in last two cameos than Hemed done all season. 

Sorry, he didn't do bad against forest but other than that a huge let down for me. 
    The great thing about Bonne's cross for the goal is that many strikers would have tried a shit from there.....would would have invariably been blocked or gone wide/into the side netting. He had the nous to take a touch which gave him half a yard, which was enough to get a cross into a dangerous area. 
    Would have tried a what!!!

Are you suggesting they would have tried something crap🙃
  • Options
    Good assist by Davis for the first goal, he's slowly warming up. 
    That was probably the worst pass Lyle Taylor has ever received from a range of less than five yards in his professional career. It was behind him  too hard and bouncing at neck height. God knows how he got it under control and buried it but yes, technically an assist.  

It was the winning back of the ball that was more impressive than the pass. 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    As for the atmosphere. I was in the NW quad and thought the atmosphere was pretty good. The covered end brilliant sung 'theres only one Ethan Matthew's', but when I've seen a video of it filmed from middle of the west stand its barely audible. To those that sit at the Jimmy Seed end of the east and west does the covered end come across loud?
    If not, maybe the rest of the stadium could get involved a bit more ? Not being flippant, just a suggestion. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ChiAddick said:
    As for the atmosphere. I was in the NW quad and thought the atmosphere was pretty good. The covered end brilliant sung 'theres only one Ethan Matthew's', but when I've seen a video of it filmed from middle of the west stand its barely audible. To those that sit at the Jimmy Seed end of the east and west does the covered end come across loud?
    The away fans in the Jimmy Seed always sound loud to the East and West stands because they usually have a westerly wind behind them. We in the Covered end can't hear them* because of the noise from us.

*Until some twat decides to start "you're not singing anymore" just after we've scored. This seems to be the cue for the opposition to attack and score.
  • Options
    Not convinced at all that we should have got a penalty. Lapslie smashed it at Collins and he looked just to be instinctively defending himself.
    He punched it away when it was probably a foot away from him.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    The away fans in the Jimmy Seed always sound loud to the East and West stands because they usually have a westerly wind behind them. We in the Covered end can't hear them* because of the noise from us.

*Until some twat decides to start "you're not singing anymore" just after we've scored. This seems to be the cue for the opposition to attack and score.
    Similarly ‘we forgot that you were here’ just as they launch an attack and score. Save those ones for when we are well in too pls. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Good assist by Davis for the first goal, he's slowly warming up. 
    That was probably the worst pass Lyle Taylor has ever received from a range of less than five yards in his professional career. It was behind him  too hard and bouncing at neck height. God knows how he got it under control and buried it but yes, technically an assist.  

It was the winning back of the ball that was more impressive than the pass. 
    Decent tackle but didn’t quite win the ball back, still needed Cullen to intervene. 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Similarly ‘we forgot that you were here’ just as they launch an attack and score. Save those ones for when we are well in too pls. 

Not forgetting "is that all you take away?*" to a stand with more away fans in it than we'd have had at the corresponding fixture. 

*not so much this season, which makes a nice change. Although now I'm thinking about it who would be the teams we have taken more to than they've brought to us ?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not forgetting the moronic 'your support is farkin shit' to a nearly full away end, singing loud & proud.
    It just makes me think ours is, when I hear that. 
    Ok if they had 500 silent fans, that's fair enough, but they didn't.
    You would think some of our fans are blind & deaf. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I just had a peek at the match thread from the bit before we scored. OMG. 
  • Options
    Not forgetting the moronic 'your support is farkin shit' to a nearly full away end, singing loud & proud.
    Think it's more the case they are idiots 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Not forgetting "is that all you take away?*" to a stand with more away fans in it than we'd have had at the corresponding fixture. 

*not so much this season, which makes a nice change. Although now I'm thinking about it who would be the teams we have taken more to than they've brought to us ?  
    Midweek fixtures tend to skew such comparisions, but Wednesday will be one of them!
  • Options
    Not been ozzys biggest fan but he put in a awsome shift run them ragged
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Well thats easy when Luton only give you 1,000. Which we sold out for a midweek game. 
  • Options
    Millwall is another.  They only give us top tier and we give them the full whack. Brentford/ Fulham/QPR are others with a smaller away allocation 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in the valley gold box for yesterday’s game, my word I’m glad I sit in the covered end normally, the atmosphere is as dead as a dodo in the East Stand 
    Open the window !
  • Options
    A great win and was quality to see Lyle Taylor be so unplayable.  Running out of things to say about him and how good he’s been for us.  I would be over the moon if we saw him in a CAFC shirt next season.  That’s 11 league goals now in a season he’s had a bad injury, after taking a step up to the Championship for the first in his career.  Hands down for me becoming another legend of the Kermorgant mould, although I appreciate they are different types of players.

Re: the game, as others have said, a deserved 3pts after a tricky 1st half.  I was under the impression Oshilaja was part of a back 3, but reading the comments on here it appears he was at the base of our midfield.  In my head when we went in 1-1 at half time, I was blaming the 3 at the back for the reason we were getting overran in the middle of the pitch 

Still, second half we worthy winners and fair play to Bowyer, bringing on Lapslie, then Bonne were two very good substitutions.  Lapslie was class.  So pleased to see him get his first goal, and he’ll be a very important player in the run in.  I think Albie Morgan may be a better footballer, but you can see why Bowyer will probably opt for Lapslie ahead of him in terms of what he brings to the team on an all round level.  Probably more of a Bowyer type player.  

Oshilaja obviously got caught in possession for their offside goal, but moments before Sarr also dallied.  Sarr was quality, not digging him out, just highlighting these mistakes can happen to anyone.  Lockyer was a good example of this last week against Blackburn.  We need to try and eliminate them, but it’s football.  I like Davis’ effort and fight, but I don’t think he’s the best with the ball at his feet.  I was so annoyed about Taylor’s good work being undone within minutes.  

It again just goes to highlight for me the concentration needed in the Championship as opposed to League One.  It's reared its head on the basis of how many goals we were conceding late on before xmas, and the goals we concede just after half time.  

I truly believe we will be okay.  If we can't get 11pts from the next 12, then we won't deserve to stay up, but that's not the sort of team we are under Bowyer.  He worked miracles again this season, and I would even love to see a late run of wins like we had last season to push on and end as high up as possible.  Positive attacking football at home is the way forward 
  • Options
    Phillips: quiet game but delivered when required
    Lockyer: under little or no pressure from Hatters but still looked shaky, distribution is poor
    Oshilaja; adequate first half sort of shielding back 4, appalling 2nd half looked like he'd never played, rightly subbed
    Sarr: inches from a spectacular goal, decent defensive showing under no threat from a weak Luton side
    Matthews: decent
    Cullen; struggled in that sort of left sided role first half, looked much much better after change of shape
    Oztumer  willing, industrious and inventive, nothing quite came off but he's essential while JW is unfit
    Davis: plodding defensive showing undermined by that heinous blunder, he's no Pratley is he?
    Doughty; a superstar in the making
    Taylor: everything we want from a striker plus a bit of stupidity to get booked, which is a price worth paying we can well afford
    Green: variously described by my neighbours as "half-hearted", "disinterested", "thick as pigsh!t" for my money thoroughly underwhelming - the one time he really got himself where we needed him to be and when - he fluffed his lines in spectacular fashion - odd.
    Lapslie: changed the game with his effort, strength, pace and skills - splendid.  When he's fully fit he's straight in the team so Cullen can go back to his preferred position and we can dodge the failings of Davis
    Referee: expectations were a big fat zero - prem referee relegated to Championship?  Well known referee = bad reputation for being shit, a show pony or both - knock me down with a feather he got everything right, he was consistent with what he let go and what he penalised and was clearly intent on staying out of it as much as he could - well done Mr Marriner - not his fault the west stand lino got the offside wrong for Luton's 2nd 'goal'.

Bonne: contributed more in his 16 minute cameo than Hemed and Green have achieved in about 4 whole matches - underwrote his position as Taylor's striking partner 

• Options
    Phillips: quiet game but delivered when required
    Lockyer: under little or no pressure from Hatters but still looked shaky, distribution is poor
    Oshilaja; adequate first half sort of shielding back 4, appalling 2nd half looked like he'd never played, rightly subbed
    Sarr: inches from a spectacular goal, decent defensive showing under no threat from a weak Luton side
    Matthews: decent
    Cullen; struggled in that sort of left sided role first half, looked much much better after change of shape
    Oztumer  willing, industrious and inventive, nothing quite came off but he's essential while JW is unfit
    Davis: plodding defensive showing undermined by that heinous blunder, he's no Pratley is he?
    Doughty; a superstar in the making
    Taylor: everything we want from a striker plus a bit of stupidity to get booked, which is a price worth paying we can well afford
    Green: variously described by my neighbours as "half-hearted", "disinterested", "thick as pigsh!t" for my money thoroughly underwhelming - the one time he really got himself where we needed him to be and when - he fluffed his lines in spectacular fashion - odd.
    Lapslie: changed the game with his effort, strength, pace and skills - splendid.  When he's fully fit he's straight in the team so Cullen can go back to his preferred position and we can dodge the failings of Davis
    Referee: expectations were a big fat zero - prem referee relegated to Championship?  Well known referee = bad reputation for being shit, a show pony or both - knock me down with a feather he got everything right, he was consistent with what he let go and what he penalised and was clearly intent on staying out of it as much as he could - well done Mr Marriner - not his fault the west stand lino got the offside wrong for Luton's 2nd 'goal'.

Bonne: contributed more in his 16 minute cameo than Hemed and Green have achieved in about 4 whole matches - underwrote his position as Taylor's striking partner 

Stig......where were you in order to decide that their disallowed goal wasn’t offside?
    Unless you were pretty much in line with it there’s NO WAY you or anyone else can say for sure.
    The TV footage is totally inconclusive......no one can say for sure, indeed, the Quest guys watched it over and over again and were also unable to decide.
  • Options
    😂🤣 great post! 
  • Options
    I judged by the speed of the Lino's flag myself.

• Options
    On a separate note, id love to see the lower north safe standing. Think it would improve the atmosphere.. would defo get an st there if so. 
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Millwall is another.  They only give us top tier and we give them the full whack. Brentford/ Fulham/QPR are others with a smaller away allocation 
    Is that something the trust could look into @Pico?
  • Options
    Davis got a lot of grief for his clearance attempt for their goal. It wasn't great, but in mitigation it was a clearance on the turn that he had to screw his body round to get away and didn't quite manage to pull it off. Far more important there though is where the hell was Doughty? When you watch it back he's absolutely nowhere, I'm not even sure he was still on this planet when they broke down our left. Considering it was 2 minutes after we'd scored and reset it's insane that he was so far out of position for that goal. Granted he's not a natural left back, but even for a player who's not as comfortable there, 'don't be in outer space' is a pretty standard positioning tip that most players should be comfortable with. Bonkers.
    He's experienced enough to know he should have played it the way he was facing rather than twist and risk a weak clearance.