Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Luton Sat 22 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    It looks a penalty from the Jimmy Seed stand camera angle.
    Yes, and that's the angle the referee saw. He was right there. Bang on penalty.
  • Options
    Important win. Good team performance in a hard-fought relegation battle. It will be close, but we look as if we'll survive.
  • Options
    Some very silly marks for Oshilaja emerging in the marks thread.

He was there to do a job in the face of a serious head wind and gave us great physicality there, just what we needed with the ball bouncing all over the place and in the air. 
    He was playing out of position.
    He's not played many games this season.
    He's just back from injury.
    A lot of mitigating factors, but he was bloody awful and "gave them their second goal", which was incorrectly ruled out.

As soon as he was hooked and Lapslie came on the the game turned very quickly in our favour.
    The game changed as we took off a player in one position, brought on another in another position with a different remit a d changed our shape with it. Lapslie was brilliant with what he come on and did. Not saying Oshilaja was man of the match or anything but he did a job in very difficult wind conditions and I find marks of 3/10 completely OTT and unfair. I clearly saw a different game to most others.
    I was begging Bowyer to sub him and thankfully he did about a minute later.
    The game immediately changed from looking like we would lose to win.
    I agree 3 was harsh, I gave him 4 :-)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I saw them preparing Lapslie on the touchline. They weren't just getting him ready, they were rushing him on. It was getting to the stage where Oshilaja was making so many errors a second yellow was a likelihood, not a possibility 
    Bit of an exageration... Ball went out for a throw in about two times whilst Lapslie was standing on the sidelines - If they'd been rushing him on he'd have been on during one of those breaks in play
    We were defending when the ball was out. Sensible not to substitute whilst defending.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Leuth said:
    I saw them preparing Lapslie on the touchline. They weren't just getting him ready, they were rushing him on. It was getting to the stage where Oshilaja was making so many errors a second yellow was a likelihood, not a possibility 
    Agreed, it was the quickest sub we've made for years.
    Lapslie was being rushed to get his kit on (he did wait to come on when we weren't in a dangerous position).
    I thought it was so he didn't give them another goal as he had done a minute earlier (incorrectly disallowed).
    He nearly gave them another shortly before that.
  • Options
    As for the atmosphere. I was in the NW quad and thought the atmosphere was pretty good. The covered end brilliant sung 'theres only one Ethan Matthew's', but when I've seen a video of it filmed from middle of the west stand its barely audible. To those that sit at the Jimmy Seed end of the east and west does the covered end come across loud?
  • Options
    What an atmosphere what a 3 points! Place was rocking and you kept us plugging away onto wednesday now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think many of us, myself included, sometimes don't appreciate the tension/fear in the players in these kind games. Barnsley and now Luton were pretty much nailed on "must win" games and we have won both.

Taylor is huge plus. Getting Cullen, Bonne and others back is also really positive as they get back to full match fitness/sharpness.

Laplsie made a real impact and that can only be good. 

There will be tough moments ahead, like the disappointment of last weeks games but overall we have forward momentum again. 
  • Options
    Bonne done more in last two cameos than Hemed done all season. 

Sorry, he didn't do bad against forest but other than that a huge let down for me. 
  • Options
    Good assist by Davis for the first goal, he's slowly warming up. 
    That was probably the worst pass Lyle Taylor has ever received from a range of less than five yards in his professional career. It was behind him  too hard and bouncing at neck height. God knows how he got it under control and buried it but yes, technically an assist.  

Watch it again, the ball although a looping delivery reached Lyle at shin/knee height.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Not convinced at all that we should have got a penalty. Lapslie smashed it at Collins and he looked just to be instinctively defending himself.
    Both hands and arms were fully stretched above his head.
    How can that be defending yourself?
  • Options
    Not convinced at all that we should have got a penalty. Lapslie smashed it at Collins and he looked just to be instinctively defending himself.
    No way could it be deemed that. Hit his arm undoubtably and his arm was in an unnatural position as defined by the new interpretation of the law. Stonewall penalty 
  • Options
    I was in the valley gold box for yesterday’s game, my word I’m glad I sit in the covered end normally, the atmosphere is as dead as a dodo in the East Stand 
  • Options
    I was in the valley gold box for yesterday’s game, my word I’m glad I sit in the covered end normally, the atmosphere is as dead as a dodo in the East Stand 
    But at least we get a great view of the game from the middle of the East Stand!
  • Options
    But does the covered end come across well from the east?
  • Options
    Delighted for Lapslie. He's Charlton through and through. Changed the game when he came on and great to see him get his goal. Onwards and upwards!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    No way could it be deemed that. Hit his arm undoubtably and his arm was in an unnatural position as defined by the new interpretation of the law. Stonewall penalty 
    He could have just headed it and that is what should be natural reaction from a footballer. Putting both hands isn’t.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Deji had a okayish first half, he won quite a lot in air although he didn’t seem to have much control over where the ball was ending up - a few (not just from him) went straight up in the air and caused further chaos in our defensive third. 

He definitely unbalanced the midfield, although it wasn’t so much him individually as having both him and Davis in the team. One of them should really have come off at half time but Bows has become a bit more cautious with his subs these days. Once Deji had a bit of a calamitous start to the half it was clear it was him who needed to come off. The game changed because partly because Lapslie played much better than Deji but also because having a midfielder with more attacking instincts gave us the balance we’d been missing.

i personally think Davis is being underrated a bit. He had a so-so debut, again being asked to play in an overly defensive midfield, but was excellent at Forest, one of our better players vs Blackburn and was good again yesterday, when played in his proper position in the second half. I think he’s actually been better as a screen in front of the back four than Pratley as he has a bit more pace and can keep up with the play a little better but Pratley has a bit all round ability. He’s clearly not one we can ask to fill in further up the pitch, and Bowyer has a lesson to learn there that he needs to get back to picking the best available players for each position rather than playing who he thinks are his best players but putting them out of position. 
  • Options
    Hoping it’s just me expecting the worse and I’m mad 

Yes, OoohAaagh ........ you're always expecting the worst.

And sorry, can't resist,  you've already convinced me you're mad!  :smile:

• Options
    Rob said:
    seth plum said:
    It looks a penalty from the Jimmy Seed stand camera angle.
    Yes, and that's the angle the referee saw. He was right there. Bang on penalty.
    Definitely 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    But does the covered end come across well from the east?
    You can tell it’s noisy but the acoustics aren’t as good as the Jimmy Seed, probably because of the corrugated metal sides and much lower roof. The Luton fans were loud in fairness