Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Programmes that went on too long

Comments

• Options
    Northern Exposure
  • Options
    Waking the Dead.  What a pile of crap.  Trevor Eve mistaking shouting at people for acting.
  • Options
    I'm with pp on...... 

Two & a half men. 

Minder.

When one of the main characters leaves or dies best to end it there. Dont bring in his nephew /cousin/ long lost brother just to milk the show.
    For the most part I'm with you completely. I can think of just two exceptions, OFOH: Uncle Albert for Grandad was a good swap.  Two Doors Down: Gordon for Jaz.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Auf Weidersin Pet. Original first 2 series were brilliant. But they should never have brought it back years later. 
  • Options
    Benidorm still found it funny but nowhere near as good as the 1st couple of series's.
  • Options
    NCIS and its various spin offs. There was an NCIS LA episode recently with Vinny Jones that was just embarrassing, total cringefest.
  • Options
    Red Dwarf
  • Options
    I'd go with Dexter. Although it was supposed to be six seasons, the show runner left and it fell apart. Anyone who thinks GoT ended badly can console themselves with the fact that Dexter STILL has the title of worst final season ever. 

Also, The X-Files. Again, supposed to end around season 6 but Fox were making too much money out of it and it went on to season 9, and those last 2-3 were woeful. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Another vote for Homeland.

First three series were brilliant with a fantastic storyline and some superb acting, particularly by Damian Lewis. Went downhill after he left and Claire Danes just makes me want to scream.
  • Options
    Only Fools - After getting the money it should have ended 

Shamless - Should have ended at series 2

Men Benhaving Badly - Just got unfunny although they did end it well with the last 3 specials.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eastenders. Is it true the BBC have just shelled out £86m on a new set for it?
  • Options
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Another vote for Homeland.

First three series were brilliant with a fantastic storyline and some superb acting, particularly by Damian Lewis. Went downhill after he left and Claire Danes just makes me want to scream.
    Don’t disagree, I just think there have been some good stories in the last few series, it’s just not consistent. And Danes’s ‘scared face’ is nauseating. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Waking the Dead.  What a pile of crap.  Trevor Eve mistaking shouting at people for acting.

The lad in it has gone from being about 5 to in his late teens and all they seem to do is find a new settlemnt, get found or fight with the locals, move on again. Throw is the occasional shag in a deserted chemist
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Homeland 
    You’re joking ... season 8 is just starting to warm up
  • Options
    Peep Show. The first four series were the perfect character arc for Jez and Mark, ending with them both miserable, every relationship around them broken from their own selfishness and stupidity, driving off in the back of a wedding car together. Perfect. What followed was generally still funny, but delved more into cringe comedy and putting the characters in increasingly unlikely and out-there situations to try and get some story to happen. It goes from Mark working in a boring job and trying to build up the courage to ask out his coworker to holding a man captive in his flat to trick a woman into running away with him at the end. If they'd stopped at s4 I think it would probably have been the best sitcom ever.
  • Options
    Shameless. The latter series were abysmal. 
  • Options
    It is indeed. Currently delayed and over budget due to the location, which is causing disruption to the local residents.

It's in a middle of a housing estate in Elstree. I worked on the initial planning for the project. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    cafcfan said:

The lad in it has gone from being about 5 to in his late teens and all they seem to do is find a new settlemnt, get found or fight with the locals, move on again. Throw is the occasional shag in a deserted chemist
    Erm...that's the Walking Dead.

Easy mistake to make though. Just shows how much crap is served up, there's even 2 that sound the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    cafcfan said:
    I read that as Walking the Dead.  I thought I was on to a great idea, using zombies to solve murders with pathology.  I then I realised it's already been done with I, Zombie.
  • Options
    It is indeed. Currently delayed and over budget due to the location, which is causing disruption to the local residents.

It's in a middle of a housing estate in Elstree. I worked on the initial planning for the project. 
    BBC getting that done before their tax money is pulled
  • Options
    And for a show that ended at just the right moment with everything wrapped up, I give you Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
  • Options
    And for a show that ended at just the right moment with everything wrapped up, I give you Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
    Breaking Bad, although El Camino managed to continue it without spoiling what came before. 
  • Options
    Sons of Anarchy ended really well, breaking bad too

Ray Donovan should have ended but I've heard good things so I shall catch up on the New York series and see if I'm wrong 

Game of thrones, man alive that was rushed. Ok it ended but it was done in such a way that it felt like a different programme 

The Walking Dead I think has had its day now, I'd like to see a conclusion one way or the other last episode was pretty good but apart from the odd really good episode I am only really watching out of habit and misplaced loyalty
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Miranda.

There were 20 episodes over 3 series so probably went on too long by 20 episodes over 3 series,
    Like Mrs Brown's Boys, I cannot see how Miranda Hart is so successful. I think she's better playing in a drama from what I see of it
  • Options
    Suits
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Only Fools and Horses originally had the perfect ending with the Trotters getting rich. It’s a shame it didn’t actually end there as was originally planned.

Then again, it only went on too long by 3 episodes - some shows go on too long by about 3-4 seasons.

The eventual ending scene of Only Fools is still fantastic though - with Del finally admitting to Rodney about them not being full brothers, and Rodney finally having a kid and naming them after their mum. Has a bit more of warmth element to it than them simply winning money and never to be seen again.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Only Fools and Horses originally had the perfect ending with the Trotters getting rich. It’s a shame it didn’t actually end there as was originally planned.

Then again, it only went on too long by 3 episodes - some shows go on too long by about 3-4 seasons.

The eventual ending scene of Only Fools is still fantastic though - with Del finally admitting to Rodney about them not being full brothers. Has a bit more of warmth element to it than them simply winning money and never to be seen again.
    I think with Only Fools, some of the actors lost it a bit with their delivery of the lines. Maybe because of a long time away, or just getting old. Thought Boycie and Marlene were always good, and so was Albert, but do think Del Boy and Rodney were both a little bit hard work towards the end, over the last few episodes