Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Programmes that went on too long

Comments

• Options
    Not going out, is still going on i believe, first few series were good but not now.
    Another one I agree with, and like the 3 in my OP it should have ended when a main character left, as soon as Tim Vine left it started to go down hill, then the actually put Lee and Lucy together and that killed it
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Only Fools and Horses originally had the perfect ending with the Trotters getting rich. It’s a shame it didn’t actually end there as was originally planned.

Then again, it only went on too long by 3 episodes - some shows go on too long by about 3-4 seasons.

The eventual ending scene of Only Fools is still fantastic though - with Del finally admitting to Rodney about them not being full brothers. Has a bit more of warmth element to it than them simply winning money and never to be seen again.
    I think with Only Fools, some of the actors lost it a bit with their delivery of the lines. Maybe because of a long time away, or just getting old. Thought Boycie and Marlene were always good, and so was Albert, but do think Del Boy and Rodney were both a little bit hard work towards the end, over the last few episodes
    Trigger became a bit too stupid as well.
  • Options
    X Factor, surprised no mention yet. also Ant and Dec's fucking takeaway!
  • Options
    Cold Feet. Used to love it but dragging on a bit now. 
  • Options
    Peaky Blinders - the series with the Mafia was ridiculous, I didn't bother with the last series.
  • Options
    I'd echo others in saying Only Fools & Horses and The Simpsons.

The whole thing about OFAH was them becoming millionaires and when it happened it made the perfect sign off for the show.

The Simpsons I haven't watched a new episode for donkeys years. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Game of Thrones

once Sheffield's own Sean bean died the whole series went right downhill 

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Only Fools and Horses originally had the perfect ending with the Trotters getting rich. It’s a shame it didn’t actually end there as was originally planned.

Then again, it only went on too long by 3 episodes - some shows go on too long by about 3-4 seasons.

The eventual ending scene of Only Fools is still fantastic though - with Del finally admitting to Rodney about them not being full brothers. Has a bit more of warmth element to it than them simply winning money and never to be seen again.
    I think with Only Fools, some of the actors lost it a bit with their delivery of the lines. Maybe because of a long time away, or just getting old. Thought Boycie and Marlene were always good, and so was Albert, but do think Del Boy and Rodney were both a little bit hard work towards the end, over the last few episodes
    They were always pretty limited actors, particularly Nicholas Lyndsey. It was really noticeable when a good actor like Jim Broadbent appears. 
  • Options
    There were only three Christmas specials after the OFAH special where they get rich.
    I think it should have ended before then.

Minder

Red Dwarf

Shameless

Still Open All Hours (should have been a one off)
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I'd go with Dexter. Although it was supposed to be six seasons, the show runner left and it fell apart. Anyone who thinks GoT ended badly can console themselves with the fact that Dexter STILL has the title of worst final season ever. 

Also, The X-Files. Again, supposed to end around season 6 but Fox were making too much money out of it and it went on to season 9, and those last 2-3 were woeful. 

Dexter was bad TV, but the final season of GoT was a far bigger catastrophe.  It was the biggest TV show on the planet and its final collapse will cost HBO dearly in the long run.  All that rewatch/syndication business down the toilet, DVD and BluRay box set sales killed dead in their tracks.  GoT could have been a landmark classic for the ages, instead its just something with a shit ending that people won't even bother with in years to come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Royle Family.  The first two series were good, but all the others after that didn't hit the spot unfortunately (the ones offs at Christmas etc.)
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Sons of Anarchy ended really well, breaking bad too

Ray Donovan should have ended but I've heard good things so I shall catch up on the New York series and see if I'm wrong 

Game of thrones, man alive that was rushed. Ok it ended but it was done in such a way that it felt like a different programme 

The Walking Dead I think has had its day now, I'd like to see a conclusion one way or the other last episode was pretty good but apart from the odd really good episode I am only really watching out of habit and misplaced loyalty

Ray Donovan has just recently been cancelled so the current series is the last.

Power - should have stopped with the current series but now have created 3 spin off series, just leave it out.

Killing Eve - Judgment is out and will see how the 3rd series plays out but not sure how far they can go with it. Might be a season too many.

• Options
    New Tricks.
    Should never have carried on once the original cast started to break up. New characters never worked 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Sons of Anarchy ended really well, breaking bad too

Ray Donovan should have ended but I've heard good things so I shall catch up on the New York series and see if I'm wrong 

Game of thrones, man alive that was rushed. Ok it ended but it was done in such a way that it felt like a different programme 

The Walking Dead I think has had its day now, I'd like to see a conclusion one way or the other last episode was pretty good but apart from the odd really good episode I am only really watching out of habit and misplaced loyalty

Ray Donovan has just recently been cancelled so the current series is the last.

Power - should have stopped with the current series but now have created 3 spin off series, just leave it out.

Killing Eve - Judgment is out and will see how the 3rd series plays out but not sure how far they can go with it. Might be a season too many.

Re Power, I think the Tommy spin off will be good. Possibly the prequel. But that should be it. It’s actually something like 5 or 6 spin offs they’re doing.
  • Options
    Top Gear - Once Clarkson and co left, I really think they should've just ended it there.
  • Options
    Neighbours.   It just wasn't the same after Mrs Mangle snuffed it.
  • Options
    Frasier - when they started filling it up with Daphnes old girl and brothers it got painful.

Glad I'm not the only one who wondered how Trevor Eve was so highly rated in Waking the Dead, just total bombast every time he opened his mouth.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    When one of the main characters leaves or dies best to end it there. Dont bring in his nephew /cousin/ long lost brother just to milk the show.
    This is generally true, but Only Fools and Horses did this well. Uncle Albert was just as good, if not better, than Grandad. 
    However...

SuedeAdidas said:
    *Fixes bayonet *

Only Fools and Horses
    @SuedeAdidas I don’t think this is as controversial as you think! As already mentioned by @North Lower Neil they should have finished it when they got rich. It was the perfect ending.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    shine166 said:
    Homeland 
    You’re joking ... season 8 is just starting to warm up
    gave up 2 seasons ago when it leapt forward and she had her kid and still went back on a 'mission'. If I don't read when this series ends that Saul was dodge all along i'll be annoyed. I called it first series. 
  • Options
    Top Gear - Once Clarkson and co left, I really think they should've just ended it there.
    it went dodge once Clarkson & Co left (when Evans/Le Blanc did it), but I really am enjoying catching bits of the most recent ones. And I don't even like Paddy. I like Freddie and the other guy and the ridiculous missions. I don't even like cars. it's probably not for car enthusiasts anymore, but it is entertaining. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The Simpsons - should have stopped around the end of the twelfth season.

Happy Days - when? you know the term 'jump the shark'?

There are quite a few where one thinks they should never have done the second series.  The first was perfect, wrapped up the story, they could have left it there.
    The Simpsons declined from Season 10 onwards I feel. Have all the boxsets from season 1 to 18 on DVD and still wait to see when a classic Simpsons episode comes on. Always been a big fan.

When a show like the Simpsons runs for so long , a decline is expected at some point, as ideas run out and the same writers aren't going to stick around forever. 

Think between season 10-12 the main episode writer was Mike Scully. I heard somewhere ages ago that his aim back then was to "create episodes that his children would like to watch", so he bought in forced jokes that were suited to crap like Family Guy. It was such a stupid comment as it's not like children couldn't watch it anyway. It's what makes the Simpsons so clever is that it appealed to all ages and you didn't always have to get the jokes or references, because there were so many that only some people would get, by watching or listening to other things.

Think that period also coincided with the Simpsons commercial income increasing significantly. It became a period of selling out to taccy merchandise and planting their names over theme park rides like seen at Universal Studios. 

Episodes became recycled and forced. A lot of them became based on guest stars having starring roles as themselves. Like that Ricky Gervais episode, what was the point of that. While before you had Johnny Cash playing a coyote, in one of the best episodes, when Homer ate that hot chili.

They make enough money to keep churning out new episodes and show old ones on sky and fox. So can't see it stopping until they are told to
  • Options
    The last series was atrocious.

The professional northerner McGuinness gets right on my tits. About as funny as a fart in a spacesuit.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    The last series was atrocious.

The professional northerner McGuinness gets right on my tits. About as funny as a fart in a spacesuit.
    Top Gear to me is evidence that sometimes it's the people that make the show, not the show itself.
  • Options
    Doctor Who
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Doctor Who
    I'm not sure it's gone on too long. It's just that the current writing team are a bunch of woke morons delivering sermons rather than stories.
  • Options
    Match of the Day.
  • Options
    Veep. First 5 seasons were great. The last two were tosh. 

Peaky Blinders - last series was rubbish. 

Ready Steady Cook - watched the new series yesterday. Kin ell......
  • Options
    Teachers. The main guy left to be Rick Grimes after s2, then they killed the new stand ins for leads at the end of s3. The cast literally piss on their graves in season 4 ep1...

As a teacher I was quite enjoying it!
  • Options
    Friends.  Hated it early on and then all of sudden it became the only thing channel 4 could show at any opportunity, coinciding with me being at uni and having summers off etc etc.

Never ever understood how a show built on a load whiny voices repeating the odd catchphrase of ‘smelly cat’ or ‘how you doing’ can sustain itself over so many years, but all subjective.  Dystopian stuff if ever there is one 

Of course Miranda.  Dire, atrocious.  We didn’t deserve that as a human race 

Oppositely, they should’ve given El Dorado a longer run.  That was just getting going