Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cooking with rations

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    se9addick said:
    Lentils with beef stick work as a really good alternative to mince if you’re running a bit low 
    That’s the stuff , great tip
  • Options
    Also made olive and rosemary bread with the kids earlier.
    That sounds delicious. If you've got a recipe I'd like to try it with my two kids.
    Here you go mate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aussie_olive_damper_47860

Quite dense I warn you, but few ingredients, very easy to make with the kids, and tastes lovely still warm with either butter or balsamic vinegar/olive oil.
  • Options
    Kids had great fun making pasta this week & so cheap & easy 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Bad light & black chopping block under a glass dish but defo not burnt
    Nibble
  • Options
    We make batches of stew/soup using whatever fresh veg we have ( onions, carrots, maybe mushrooms, tomatoes that are too soft for salads) plus tinned tomatoes, tinned haricot beans/other pulses, tomato puree, garlic puree ( good staples to have in the cupboard) with several pints of hot chicken &/or veg stock. 

Soften the chunks of carrot & sliced onion in a little olive oil, then add the rest of the ingredients. 

Simmer for an hour or so & then batch up for the freezer. Sometimes we add florets of frozen broccoli to soften 15 minutes before serving. 

We eat with bread or rolls but can also bulk out with pasta then eat on its own. Really filling & pretty healthy too. And cheap.

We often buy a couple of rings of chorizo from Sainsburys which we cut into discs, soften in olive oil, and add to the stew. 

Mmmmm ! 
    I was all over this until I saw “healthy” I love cooking but I’m rubbish at it. 
  • Options
    We’ve noticed!
  • Options
    We make batches of stew/soup using whatever fresh veg we have ( onions, carrots, maybe mushrooms, tomatoes that are too soft for salads) plus tinned tomatoes, tinned haricot beans/other pulses, tomato puree, garlic puree ( good staples to have in the cupboard) with several pints of hot chicken &/or veg stock. 

Soften the chunks of carrot & sliced onion in a little olive oil, then add the rest of the ingredients. 

Simmer for an hour or so & then batch up for the freezer. Sometimes we add florets of frozen broccoli to soften 15 minutes before serving. 

We eat with bread or rolls but can also bulk out with pasta then eat on its own. Really filling & pretty healthy too. And cheap.

We often buy a couple of rings of chorizo from Sainsburys which we cut into discs, soften in olive oil, and add to the stew. 

Mmmmm ! 
    Yum,

Doing this 2mo.

Ty 
  • Options
    I'm a former chef. Have been cooking a lot at home and loving it. 

Dal is a good one to make at a time like this. All store cupboard stuff and really easy, but it's a very satisfying curry as well. 

Also Jollof Rice. I tried this for the first time at a Spitalfields food truck when I was back in London last month. Thought I'd give it a go. Made it with chicken thighs. Bloody fantastic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also want to start making bread. What are the essential things I’d need? Both ingredients and utensils. 
  • Options
    Also made olive and rosemary bread with the kids earlier.
    That sounds delicious. If you've got a recipe I'd like to try it with my two kids.
    Here you go mate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aussie_olive_damper_47860

Quite dense I warn you, but few ingredients, very easy to make with the kids, and tastes lovely still warm with either butter or balsamic vinegar/olive oil.
    Thanks Neil. I'll give that a go tomorrow.
  • Options
    Bare minimum would be flour, yeast, water baking tray (or bread tin), oven and mixing bowl. I’ve always used olive oil but not sure how essential that is. 

Nice to have yeast imo but if you like flatbread don’t need it (sorry)

I’ve never managed to get my parents bread maker or kitchen aid with dough hook to work, don’t track on you can beat using arm power for the kneading but I know others disagree. 
  • Options
    I am adding garlic and ginger to our meals.
  • Options
    Bit late for the rate my plate, but here we go.

Horseradish and gravy did follow.

That is so Xmas 'rate my plate', I can even see a bit of Christmas tree poking out above your plate.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Beef looks dry. Potatoes neither fluffy nor crispy. Cant judge a roast dinner without seeing colour and thickness of the gravy. 2/10 ;)
  • Options
    I was surprised by the fact the carrots and peas were separate, have to assume some family members don’t like one or the other because otherwise for us the peas are added late for us into the carrot pan.

Mind you probably be a -1 for presentation then with this bunch of judges 😂
  • Options

Are you still chewing that beef now?
  • Options
    Cooking is how I filled my quarantine time, my two highlights were a Phaal and a salmon pie, making puff pastry from scratch, I was very happy with how it came out.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Nice slippers
    'can't live in a Chinese house without slippers!
  • Options

Yorkshire puddings, of varying sizes.

Not only are they pantry friendly but they also form a good base for many meals. Dried herbs can play a vital role in jazzing them up a bit.

Flatbreads. Perfect for a quick homemade pizza, incorporating that tomato puree that's been stuck in the cupboard for 6 months. Kids made a fish finger pizza at the weekend. I tried to stop them but they insisted. Turned out okay to be honest. Not sure I'll ever be a fully fledged fish finger and cheese convert but they seemed to like it, the weirdos.

• Options
    Good effort on the puff pastry I’ve not made it myself since collage 26 years ago. 
    I got some frozen lamb so I’m chopping her up today so I got some diced for stew etc but with the remains I’m going to grind down & have a go at making sausages using cabbage leaf as  skins which I’ve not done b4  if these go well I’m using them for a toad in the hole with a bit of rosemary in the Yorkshire batter & a nice onion gravy thanks to my left over lamb leg bones.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    My wife's puttanesca is a great way of using up pasta, passata and tinned tuna. 
  • Options
    Bare minimum would be flour, yeast, water baking tray (or bread tin), oven and mixing bowl. I’ve always used olive oil but not sure how essential that is. 

Nice to have yeast imo but if you like flatbread don’t need it (sorry)

I’ve never managed to get my parents bread maker or kitchen aid with dough hook to work, don’t track on you can beat using arm power for the kneading but I know others disagree. 
    Some good tutorials on how to make yeast on you tube. All you need is a jar, flour and water (not chlorinated). And a few days.  
  • Options
    Ahh so the mrs yeast infection is no good here
  • Options
    I’m going to make parsnip soup with the unused ones from today’s roast.
    It was lovely (even my fussy daughter liked it) and a piece of piss to make. 

Didn’t have chilli flakes so used chilli oil to fry off the parsnips and used long life cream instead of fresh.
  • Options
    I’m going to make parsnip soup with the unused ones from today’s roast.
    It was lovely (even my fussy daughter liked it) and a piece of piss to make. 

Didn’t have chilli flakes so used chilli oil to fry off the parsnips and used long life cream instead of fresh.
    Great swap on the chilli oil for the onions!!!
    i gave up on cabbage leaf sausage skins after just 1 disaster & went for frozen natural skins the kids loved it but were disappointed there were no real toads
  • Options
    I