Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cooking with rations

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    simple .. yesterday I brunched on a toasted sardine sandwich and in the evening had battered cod, mash and cabbage .. 
    leftovers today .. mash, cabbage (bubble & squeak) added to the remaining sardines ..  fried fishy squeak and baked beans .. went down a treat followed by Greek yoghurt and tinned pineapple .. 
  • Options
    Chicken stir fry for us tonight using last nights leftover roast chicken.
  • Options
    I’m going to make parsnip soup with the unused ones from today’s roast.
    It was lovely (even my fussy daughter liked it) and a piece of piss to make. 

Didn’t have chilli flakes so used chilli oil to fry off the parsnips and used long life cream instead of fresh.
    I see NLA don’t take the pi55 when you adapt a recipe to suit, I got slaughtered for using ham instead bacon and pastry instead of suet and adding cheese to take away the taste, to his recipe for Bacon & Onion slice. 😲😉
  • Options
    Great things can happen when your backed into a corner!!
    swaping stuff in recipes is great , I can tinker so much it evolves into a dish in its own right , I must add this has also led to many many disasters 
  • Options
    Great things can happen when your backed into a corner!!
    swaping stuff in recipes is great , I can tinker so much it evolves into a dish in its own right , I must add this has also led to many many disasters 
    It’s safe to say mine was, but it passed the time and was a bit of fun. 
  • Options
    I’m always cooking with flavoured oil , any chillis I have left over from cooking go in my oil bottle or my chilli vodka , all the tops & bits u have left over chuck em in 
  • Options
    Not exactly cooking with rations is it?
    Took me a week to gather the ingredients to make a spaghetti bolognese...
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Not exactly cooking with rations is it?
    Took me a week to gather the ingredients to make a spaghetti bolognese...
    It’s about making what you have go further.
    Have you thought of planting a spaghetti tree?
  • Options
    I
    One of my mates, who trained as a chef, always called this beauty “Amphibious Reptile in the Orifice”....call it what you will it’s a treat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picked up some smoked fish yesterday, so going to make some kedgeree later this week
  • Options
    I
    One of my mates, who trained as a chef, always called this beauty “Amphibious Reptile in the Orifice”....call it what you will it’s a treat.
    Your mate sounds a right laugh!
  • Options
    I
    What's more, toads are amphibians, not reptiles
  • Options
    Pies: steak n mushroom n Guiness. 
    Chicken, leek n mushroom. 
    Pot of Bolognese; Lasagne, pasta bake and spaghetti Bol 
    Meat balls
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I
    LOL, I’ll be pleased to tell him when I see him next (God knows when that will be) he’s been wrong for 35+ years.....we used to be tuning up our guitars and he’d break into Three Blind Mice, or as he called it “A trio of partially sighted rodents”. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    A couple of my Coronavirus life hacks went a bit wrong. I've learned that if you freeze kale and defrost it under a tap it disintegrates into sludge. I was also surprised to discover that defrosted lemons turn to a sort of jelly.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    It's about making your food go further..no waste.
    Also trying foods you wouldn't normally have. Made a lovely soup today.

That is ridiculous. No croutons?
    Oh man my dinner has just bought a return ticket....
  • Options
    Misread the title as “cooking with rashers”.....
  • Options
    A couple of my Coronavirus life hacks went a bit wrong. I've learned that if you freeze kale and defrost it under a tap it disintegrates into sludge. I was also surprised to discover that defrosted lemons turn to a sort of jelly.
     Do you defrost most things under the tap?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I
    LOL, I’ll be pleased to tell him when I see him next (God knows when that will be) he’s been wrong for 35+ years.....we used to be tuning up our guitars and he’d break into Three Blind Mice, or as he called it “A trio of partially sighted rodents”. 
    That’s wrong n’all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My thing is soups, to avoid wasting veg when it is looking sad or using tins:
    Tuna and sweetcorn chowder
    Chorizo and chickpea 
    A huge variety of 'green' soups (sad/wilted green veg) which can be improved with grated cheese or bacon bits
    Everything leftover minestrone with meat balls (if you have them or have a little mince to make them)
  • Options
    True wartime spirit.,..
    Along with burgling bombed houses and volunteering for the Firewatchers so you could get your end away with women whose husbands were off in the armed forces (hence this: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hansons/catalogue-id-hanson10246/lot-02f22e8a-efcb-45ff-be4b-ab800132aabf - warning, picture is a bit graphic).
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Not exactly rations though? Was thinking more like spam pasta with chives (those being the only thing that’s currently growing in my garden)
    You have spam growing in your garden?
    And pasta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU
  • Options
    I’m going to try a meatloaf this week I’ve not made one before but have taken bits from various recipes online , anyone got any good tips for meatloaf?
  • Options
    I’m going to try a meatloaf this week I’ve not made one before but have taken bits from various recipes online , anyone got any good tips for meatloaf?
    Don’t put bats in it (especially ones from hell)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Made beef bourguignon last night

(ed-bloody hell that picture was massive. removed.)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I
    Last year my Italian cousin came over for my niece's wedding with her partner and a friend. Now one thing you do in Italy is eat well, but they loved our sausages and Toad in the hole. For me - a little bit of gravy, not too much, and some English Mustard and Ketchup and it is quite hard to beat.

One thing I will never understand about us though is that we have so many quality types of sausages and many of us eat Richmond sausages which are basically value sausages. Put one on a BBQ and watch it go up.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chunes said:
    Made beef bourguignon last night

Did you cook it in a bin?

How big is your pot?!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @North Lower Neil That's actually the medium-sized one. Need big pots for making stock!
  • Options
    Not exactly rations though? Was thinking more like spam pasta with chives (those being the only thing that’s currently growing in my garden)
    You could always cook your dandelions and tender new leaves of stinging nettles.  :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7A9s6Sc4nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9m1e7PmX8