Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cooking with rations

Comments

• Options
    Soup looks great..alas only one place for tartan and that's around the wife's waist and no more than 10" deep.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Isn't poaching chickens illegal?
  • Options
    Soup looks great..alas only one place for tartan and that's around the wife's waist and no more than 10" deep.
    Only 10” deep , no kids yet then
  • Options
    Long!!!
  • Options
    Good pizza recipe that you can do with the kids.

Get some pitta breads. Cover in bolognase sauce. Then grated cheese. Then any other toppings you want. Ham, pepperoni,peppers, mushrooms......etc.

Bung it in the oven at 190deg for 10-15 mins. 
  • Options
    With meat rationing on the way I thought this recipe would come in handy. If you can't get hold of a lime substitute a lemon and it's still delicious. 

http://coffeemachinecuisine.com/cook-cat-coffee-maker/
  • Options
    With meat rationing on the way I thought this recipe would come in handy. If you can't get hold of a lime substitute a lemon and it's still delicious. 

http://coffeemachinecuisine.com/cook-cat-coffee-maker/
    I think it was recipes like this that started all this mess 😉
  • Options
    Planning a shop tomorrow, what’s the best time to go in your opinion? I know it will change in area but a rough time. I’m not worried about when it’s best stocked I’ll find something I just want it at its quietest mine is not 24hr it’s 7.am -22.00
  • Options
    We go to Tesco in sleaford Lincs around mid day ..15ish min wait. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good pizza recipe that you can do with the kids.

Get some pitta breads. Cover in bolognase sauce. Then grated cheese. Then any other toppings you want. Ham, pepperoni,peppers, mushrooms......etc.

Bung it in the oven at 190deg for 10-15 mins. 
    Used to use pita bread to do these but now use tortillas, ketchup is also a nice alternative to pasta sauce.  
  • Options
    I’m eating out in a pub tonight!!
    im venturing out to work tonight to prepare for our meals on wheels delivery day tomorrow  so am staying overnight & will have a table for 1 laid & the pub to myself , with no neighbours around me it will be a full on party for 1!
  • Options
    Thanks to my Mrs being organised we have plenty of food and with me having the time to prepare, we are eating better than ever! 
    Mainly following recipes from “a pinch of nom” (a healthy cookbook). They are so tasty you can’t believe that they are low cal/fat. 
    Recent efforts include chicken dopiaza, pork casselet, honey mustard chicken &potatoes, beef goulash and more. So much better than takeaways which were too frequently grabbed on the way home from work. Lost a few Kgs already as well 😊
  • Options
     Beef stew on Monday and used the left overs and made a pie last night. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I
    Looks a bit like the face of one of @ElfsborgAddick ‘s  old girlfriends.
  • Options
    I also want to start making bread. What are the essential things I’d need? Both ingredients and utensils. 
    Basic utensils turned up today.......just hope I can get the ingredients in my next Tesco delivery now.
  • Options
    I’m eating out in a pub tonight!!
    im venturing out to work tonight to prepare for our meals on wheels delivery day tomorrow  so am staying overnight & will have a table for 1 laid & the pub to myself , with no neighbours around me it will be a full on party for 1!
    Hope you create a good atmosphere mate!
  • Options
    We make batches of stew/soup using whatever fresh veg we have ( onions, carrots, maybe mushrooms, tomatoes that are too soft for salads) plus tinned tomatoes, tinned haricot beans/other pulses, tomato puree, garlic puree ( good staples to have in the cupboard) with several pints of hot chicken &/or veg stock. 

Soften the chunks of carrot & sliced onion in a little olive oil, then add the rest of the ingredients. 

Simmer for an hour or so & then batch up for the freezer. Sometimes we add florets of frozen broccoli to soften 15 minutes before serving. 

We eat with bread or rolls but can also bulk out with pasta then eat on its own. Really filling & pretty healthy too. And cheap.

We often buy a couple of rings of chorizo from Sainsburys which we cut into discs, soften in olive oil, and add to the stew. 

Mmmmm ! 
    Yes Fanny we do a similar mix.
    Also chuck in some celery and parsnips when they are in abundance.
    We freeze the soup in used margarine tubs and store.
    When defrosting and reheating, we sometimes add curry powder, on other occasions oregano, and broken bits of spaghetti to make a curry flavored soup or Italian style soup to add a bit of variety.  

Now Fanny, do you bake your own bread?
    I'm into bloomer's!!!
    No, not those ones you wear under (or over) your jeans.
    Strong white bread flour is in a bit short supply at the moment, but I find bashing the dough about and thinking of the bloke who ripped off our club quite satisfying.

So here's something that you Fanny or any other posters can try.
    Making meringues from the water of a tin of chickpeas. 
    It works a treat and you would never know they had not been made from loads of eggs.
    Enjoy your cooking.    
  • Options
    We make batches of stew/soup using whatever fresh veg we have ( onions, carrots, maybe mushrooms, tomatoes that are too soft for salads) plus tinned tomatoes, tinned haricot beans/other pulses, tomato puree, garlic puree ( good staples to have in the cupboard) with several pints of hot chicken &/or veg stock. 

Soften the chunks of carrot & sliced onion in a little olive oil, then add the rest of the ingredients. 

Simmer for an hour or so & then batch up for the freezer. Sometimes we add florets of frozen broccoli to soften 15 minutes before serving. 

We eat with bread or rolls but can also bulk out with pasta then eat on its own. Really filling & pretty healthy too. And cheap.

We often buy a couple of rings of chorizo from Sainsburys which we cut into discs, soften in olive oil, and add to the stew. 

Mmmmm ! 
    When defrosting and reheating, we sometimes add curry powder, on other occasions oregano, and broken bits of spaghetti to make a curry flavored soup or Italian style soup to add a bit of variety.  

I'm into bloomer's!!!
    Strong white bread flour is in a bit short supply at the moment, but I find bashing the dough about and thinking of the bloke who ripped off our club quite satisfying.

It works a treat and you would never know they had not been made from loads of eggs.
    Enjoy your cooking.    
    No bread baking for us, I'm afraid as don't eat much of it on the whole. We wrinklies have to watch our waistlines!

Today, we used up 2 bags of carrots that were starting to "go" a tad, chopped them up, added 2 chopped up onions &  softened both in some olive oil. Don't buy fresh garlic but always have granules or puree so added some of that plus 3 pints of veg stock & 2 chopped up potatoes. Simmered for 15 mins then mashed down the veg with a potato masher ( blender kaput) , returned it to the saucepan to see whether any extra liquid required & seasoned. Tasted pretty good. 
    Divided up into portions & froze in margarine tubs like you.  

Basically, a case of using up veg rather than bunging it in the composter. 

We have a large M&S chicken in freezer so will defrost & cook it for 2 meals ( probably one with spuds & veg and the other in a stir fry) then use the scraps with chicken stock, sweetcorn & small pasta for a final meal. 

Your turn.....:-) 
  • Options
    A couple of my Coronavirus life hacks went a bit wrong. I've learned that if you freeze kale and defrost it under a tap it disintegrates into sludge. I was also surprised to discover that defrosted lemons turn to a sort of jelly.
    Lemons really don't like to be frozen:

"Lemons. The tart fruits of the lemon tree (Citrus limon) are damaged when temperatures drop below 28 degrees Fahrenheit. Blossoms and young fruit die at 29 degrees. When temperatures reach 22 to 24 degrees, the tree's leaves are damaged and will drop."

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/minimum-temperatures-citrus-tree-59616.html

Surprised about your kale though ....... the kale that I grow in my veg patch is quite happy standing with frosted leaves in winter;
    although we don't often get many nights of frost in balmy sub-tropical Cornwall. :smile:

Maybe best to blanch your kale leaves before freezing (kills enzymes), just dunk in boiling water for a minute.
    Can't see any reason that they wouldn't freeze well after that?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Mmmmm ! 

I'm into bloomer's!!!

Enjoy your cooking.    
    No bread baking for us, I'm afraid as don't eat much of it on the whole. We wrinklies have to watch our waistlines!

Today, we used up 2 bags of carrots that were starting to "go" a tad, chopped them up, added 2 chopped up onions &  softened both in some olive oil. Don't buy fresh garlic but always have granules or puree so added some of that plus 3 pints of veg stock & 2 chopped up potatoes. Simmered for 15 mins then mashed down the veg with a potato masher ( blender kaput) , returned it to the saucepan to see whether any extra liquid required & seasoned. Tasted pretty good. 

We have a large M&S chicken in freezer so will defrost & cook it for 2 meals ( probably one with spuds & veg and the other in a stir fry) then use the scraps with chicken stock, sweetcorn & small pasta for a final meal. 

Thanks Fanny.
    I enjoy baking bread, the smell in the kitchen is almost as good as tasting fresh warm bread, but I also have to be aware of weight and diet.
    My catering trained wife and I are currently self isolating due to age and health restrictions so we are emptying our freezer of - bits of leftover Christmas dinner!!
    Yes leftover Christmas dinner and empty margarine tubs of I'm not to sure.
    All very nice actually.
    I remember seeing bags of mixed veg in Iceland for about £1 before the lock-down.
    Morrisons always seem to have parsnips on offer which make super curried parsnip soup.
    We were in France for a spell last summer and found supermarkets are big on veggi bags for soup.
    We have many recipes for beef or pork mince but have found mixing beef with a 50 x 50 mix of soya when making Spaghetti Bolognese.
    If you make it with Celery, onions, garlic. tin of toms. dash of puree, bit of tom sauce and plenty of oregano it really is delicious and slightly more healthy than a pure beef recipe. 
    Over to you Fanny. 
  • Options

Mmmmm ! 

I'm into bloomer's!!!

Enjoy your cooking.    

Thanks Fanny.
    I enjoy baking bread, the smell in the kitchen is almost as good as tasting fresh warm bread, but I also have to be aware of weight and diet.
    My catering trained wife and I are currently self isolating due to age and health restrictions so we are emptying our freezer of - bits of leftover Christmas dinner!!
    Yes leftover Christmas dinner and empty margarine tubs of I'm not to sure.
    All very nice actually.
    I remember seeing bags of mixed veg in Iceland for about £1 before the lock-down.
    Morrisons always seem to have parsnips on offer which make super curried parsnip soup.
    We were in France for a spell last summer and found supermarkets are big on veggi bags for soup.
    We have many recipes for beef or pork mince but have found mixing beef with a 50 x 50 mix of soya when making Spaghetti Bolognese.
    If you make it with Celery, onions, garlic. tin of toms. dash of puree, bit of tom sauce and plenty of oregano it really is delicious and slightly more healthy than a pure beef recipe. 
    Over to you Fanny. 
    Forgot, we also add shredded carrot to the mix. But the important thing about this recipe is the 50x50 mix with soya.  We've actually tried with 100% soya and it was good.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Easy Biryani .. prepared in 10/15 minutes
    Leftover from y/day's chicken based meal

Cooked rice by absorption method .. lil salt and turmeric to give colour and a slight flavour

Dice the pre cooked chicken very small, I rolled the pieces in oats and then threw into a hot pan with a little oil and very small sliced onions .. let them sizzle for a minute then turn down the heat .. add lemon juice and a touch of curry and chilli powder according to taste, stir up 

Frozen peas, mushrooms, broad beans into the microwave for 2 minutes
    When defrosted add to the pan and stir all the ingredients together, moderate heat

Rice is cooked, partially cooled, add to the other ingredients then just stir until all mixed .. then serve up & eat .. dead easy
    I also do this with prawns, it's also good without any animal protein .. the Indian stamp is NOT a picture of my effort lol 

• Options
    Love & biryani & great work coating & re flashing the chicken , that brings it right back to life & a massive improvement on just putting it in as is,
    Rolling that same chicken in some panko breadcrumbs &/or sesame seeds in a hot oiled wok on a bed of stir fry noodles & left over veg, bit of 5 spice & soy sauce for another 10 minute meal with virtually the same ingredients.

• Options
    Finished off the new kitchen today (all but tiling splash backs) and, while moving the monster fridge freezer, found a couple of wild duck breast that had managed to come out a drawer into the bottom of freezer. They've now defrosted and don't smell, so will be going into my belly once they've been pan fried and spent 20 minutes in the over. 
  • Options
    Don’t forget to score your breasts 😉
  • Options
    Great work they look fantastic 
  • Options
    Never bothered with scoring with wild duck mate (I think these were wigeon from memory) they just get seasoned, straight into a cold dry pan and bring it up to heat, skin side down. After fat rendered and it's cooked most of the way through, flip it over and do the other side till brown, then into medium oven for 10 - 15 minutes. 

Mum does a nice dish with larger Gressingham breasts. She scores the skin, seasons and adds a bit of brown sugar, then serves it with a redcurrent (from the garden) sauce. That's pretty special
  • Options
    Never bothered with scoring with wild duck mate (I think these were wigeon from memory) they just get seasoned, straight into a cold dry pan and bring it up to heat, skin side down. After fat rendered and it's cooked most of the way through, flip it over and do the other side till brown, then into medium oven for 10 - 15 minutes. 

Mum does a nice dish with larger Gressingham breasts. She scores the skin, seasons and adds a bit of brown sugar, then serves it with a redcurrent (from the garden) sauce. That's pretty special
    I love redcurrent with duck or lamb , had quite a successful duck & gooseberry dish a few years back too