Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cooking with rations

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Made some croissants today. Now i've got the time I finally managed to try it. Pretty pleased with the results
    They look really good. Recipe please.

• Options
    Don’t forget to score your breasts 😉
    6/10
  • Options
    JohnfromNorfolk said:They look really good. Recipe please.

Here's the page with the recipe on:
    https://bakingamoment.com/easy-homemade-croissant-recipe/

You'll have to scroll through the long blog article to find the recipe - the video is really useful.

Enjoy!

• Options
    JohnfromNorfolk said:They look really good. Recipe please.

Here's the page with the recipe on:
    https://bakingamoment.com/easy-homemade-croissant-recipe/

You'll have to scroll through the long blog article to find the recipe - the video is really useful.

Enjoy!

Thanks moutuakilla the video looks good we'll give it a go.
  • Options
    Finished off the new kitchen today (all but tiling splash backs) and, while moving the monster fridge freezer, found a couple of wild duck breast that had managed to come out a drawer into the bottom of freezer. They've now defrosted and don't smell, so will be going into my belly once they've been pan fried and spent 20 minutes in the over. 

• Options
    Good stuff , build the kitchen & cook the food that must have been a satisfying meal
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Finished off the new kitchen today (all but tiling splash backs) and, while moving the monster fridge freezer, found a couple of wild duck breast that had managed to come out a drawer into the bottom of freezer. They've now defrosted and don't smell, so will be going into my belly once they've been pan fried and spent 20 minutes in the over. 

:yum:

Them croissants look top notch too.
  • Options
    Another couple of Pinch of Nom recipes turned out pretty good this week!

• Options
    Ran out of lasagne sheets whilst making a big lasagne. Had to fill the gaps with spaghettifodnt come out too bad all things considered.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Another couple of Pinch of Nom recipes turned out pretty good this week!

Got 1/4 cup of duck fat in the fridge, ready for some saute potatoes over the coming days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bubble & squeak pancake .. with added peanut butter .. thin and cooked in a shallow frying pan with HOT smear of olive oil to start, fried hard then flipped .. 5 minute prep and cook .. very nice
  • Options
    bubble & squeak pancake .. with added peanut butter .. thin and cooked in a shallow frying pan with HOT smear of olive oil to start, fried hard then flipped .. 5 minute prep and cook .. very nice
    ??? Mind blown!! 

I’ll have to try it now that has me Intrigued 
  • Options
    I also want to start making bread. What are the essential things I’d need? Both ingredients and utensils. 
    Basic utensils turned up today.......just hope I can get the ingredients in my next Tesco delivery now.
    Well......finally managed to get ingredients. 

I’ve not cut it yet.....but pretty chuffed with my first attempt. 

Looks lovely 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    ??? Mind blown!! 

??? Mind blown!! 

pure experiment that worked VERY well .. eaten with a simple salad, grated carrot, thin shredded lettuce, cucumber and tomato
    EDIT ..  medium sized spud with skin on, equal volume of cabbage  straight from the fridge  and just 2 heaped teaspoons of peanut butter .. mashed together
  • Options
    I’ve moved on to pizza dough. This was lovely!

Cheese melted to perfection!!
  • Options

Cracking job. Little Miss Idle makes a fabulous pizza dough, but we haven't been able to get hold of any yeast for a month.

That said, we used the mozzarella we'd bought for the homemade pizzas by putting half inside a split bake at home roll with a big spoonful of pesto before chucking in the oven for ten minutes, and they were LOVELY.
  • Options
    Made these bad boys yesterday.  MaccyDs eat your heart out. 
    Homemade chicken selects and honey mustard dip. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Nice what’s your secret coating?
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

It’s a secret
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Crushed tortillas seasoned with onion, garlic, paprika & cayenne pepper 😋
  • Options
    Crushed tortillas is very inventive 
  • Options
    Crushed tortillas is very inventive 
    And adds flavour 👍🏻
  • Options
    Crushed tortoises would be more inventive.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    IdleHans said:

Cracking job. Little Miss Idle makes a fabulous pizza dough, but we haven't been able to get hold of any yeast for a month.

That said, we used the mozzarella we'd bought for the homemade pizzas by putting half inside a split bake at home roll with a big spoonful of pesto before chucking in the oven for ten minutes, and they were LOVELY.
    You can find recipes for yeast free pizza dough online but I would urge you try to make Piadina. Nowadays you can buy pizza all over Italy, but it originated in the south, Naples I think. Cuisine in Italy has differences by region. The Northern Italian equivalent, well the Emilia Romagna region where my dad was from, have a flat bread called Piadina.

There are a couple of ways to eat it. My favourite is just as a flat bread, hot from the pan with mortadella, prosciutto, or Milano salami in the middle of a sandwich made of a cut in half circle. You can also make a crescione which is similar to a pizza calzone. This would normally have mozarella and combinations of tomato, and italian hams or sausages. But you can fill it with what you want, including mayo, tuna etc...

Anyway to make the dough, you need the following ingredients:
    • 1 3/4 cups + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (250 grams)
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt (2.6 grams)
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 3 1/2 tablespoons of lard (43 grams) 
    • 1/2 cup milk (room temperature) (120 grams)
    To make:

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda, make a well in the middle and add the lard or olive oil (lard is nicer, olive oil is healthier), mix with a fork, then slowly add the milk and mix.

When almost combined move to a flat surface and knead into a smooth ball. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic and let rest 20 minutes.

Divide dough into 3-4 balls, sprinkle a  flat surface with a little flour and place balls on top, cover with a tea towel and let rest for another 20 minutes.

Roll out each ball to approximately 8-10 inches (20-25 cm)and  very thin, just a bit more than paper thin. Prick the dough with a fork.

Brush bottom of medium size frying pan with a very little amount of olive oil (or use a non stick heated pan/surface, when hot place one Piadina at a time on pan flip when golden, flip each side two times.

Immediately fill cooked warm flat breads with desired fillings. Eat warm accompanied by a nice wine or cold beer. You can heat up previously made piadinas. 

Very easy to do and a great alternative to Pizza. Great with chips on the side too.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Nothing as impressive as @mutleyCAFC's recipe above (which I am definitely going to try!), but after struggling to get hold of any yeast I made pizza bases using the following recipe and was pleasantly surprised how good they were! Basically just self raising flour, baking powder and yogurt. Incredibly easy so a good one to get the kids involved in too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quick_cheats_pizza_88026

• Options
    IdleHans said:

You can find recipes for yeast free pizza dough online but I would urge you try to make Piadina. Nowadays you can buy pizza all over Italy, but it originated in the south, Naples I think. Cuisine in Italy has differences by region. The Northern Italian equivalent, well the Emilia Romagna region where my dad was from, have a flat bread called Piadina.

There are a couple of ways to eat it. My favourite is just as a flat bread, hot from the pan with mortadella, prosciutto, or Milano salami in the middle of a sandwich made of a cut in half circle. You can also make a crescione which is similar to a pizza calzone. This would normally have mozarella and combinations of tomato, and italian hams or sausages. But you can fill it with what you want, including mayo, tuna etc...

Anyway to make the dough, you need the following ingredients:
      1 3/4 cups + 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (250 grams)1/2 teaspoon salt (2.6 grams)1/4 teaspoon baking soda3 1/2 tablespoons of lard (43 grams) 1/2 cup milk (room temperature) (120 grams)To make:

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda, make a well in the middle and add the lard or olive oil (lard is nicer, olive oil is healthier), mix with a fork, then slowly add the milk and mix.

When almost combined move to a flat surface and knead into a smooth ball. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic and let rest 20 minutes.

Divide dough into 3-4 balls, sprinkle a  flat surface with a little flour and place balls on top, cover with a tea towel and let rest for another 20 minutes.

Roll out each ball to approximately 8-10 inches (20-25 cm)and  very thin, just a bit more than paper thin. Prick the dough with a fork.

Brush bottom of medium size frying pan with a very little amount of olive oil (or use a non stick heated pan/surface, when hot place one Piadina at a time on pan flip when golden, flip each side two times.

Immediately fill cooked warm flat breads with desired fillings. Eat warm accompanied by a nice wine or cold beer. You can heat up previously made piadinas. 

Very easy to do and a great alternative to Pizza. Great with chips on the side too.

Sounds good I’ll give that a go , the thing I like most about this recipe is that you have given exact grams next to the cup/teaspoon/table spoon measurements, I don’t like the rough half cup of this , 3\4 tablespoon that it’s just not precise enough & a pet hate of mine I mean is it a level spoon or heaped spoon if so how heaped , as you have shown it’s perfectly simple to put exact amounts! 
    • Options
      edited May 2020
      The lard just gives them a fantastic taste and texture. If you have a non stick pan, I wouldn't use oil but if you have to, use as little as you can get away with. My grandmother, Nonna Maria, cooked the best food I ever tasted. She would come over sometimes and stay with us in England when I was a boy and my dad rigged up a piadina hot plate to go over our kitchen cooker hobs and it was better than Christmas.