Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Furlough

Anyone else think it is a bit rich for highly paid footballers to have their salary furloughed during this awful Covid-19 virus? Surely the government should be focusing on supporting small businesses and lowly paid workers, like shop assistants who probably do not have much money in reserve, through no fault of their own.

Comments

• Options
    Which footballers have been furloughed? I’m a bit behind!

i know that Liverpool and Tottenham have furloughed non playing staff which I don’t agree with. Especially seeing Liverpool made £40m last year 
  • Options
    Millwall
  • Options
    Blame the owners and not the footballers. 

Owners trying to make as much money as possible, leaving a massive bill for the tax payer. 
    If footballers took a pay-cut, do you really think the money they'd be paying in tax to HMRC will be donated by the owners to the government? I don't think so, it'll go straight to the pockets of the owners. 
  • Options
    if I was a premiership superstar, I would refuse a pay cut but make it known that I was donating money to the nhs and other covid related funds
  • Options
    Every player in the premier league should volunteer to take a hefty pay cut until all this shit is over. 
    Not so much lower league players as their wages are not as obscene. 
  • Options
    The max amount of furlough payments is what? £2,500 a month before tax equivalent to an annual salary of £30k.

Mortgage holidays for 3 months (which will surely be extended) are available but it’s not exactly premiership footballer wages is it.

As far as I know most high paying clubs are still paying players wages although looking to negotiate a discount across the board.

as others have said, it’s non-playing staff that have been furloughed. 

Whether that is appropriate for profitable businesses is questionable. For loss making companies, it may be the only way to keep staff paid and not have to make them redundant.

Standup companies will make up the remaining 20% of wages as furlough payments only cover 80% of salary. Most won’t. 
  • Options
    Hibs have furloughed their players 
  • Options
    How much would a hubs player earn? I expect a lot of league 1 and 2 clubs to follow unless helped out by the premier league
  • Options
    It's complex because we all know that players have a relatively short earning span. But even so, players earning £4/5k a week would not be my focus on furlough distribution. As for Millwall and Hibs, yes support the lower paid staff by all means.
  • Options
    How much would a hubs player earn? I expect a lot of league 1 and 2 clubs to follow unless helped out by the premier league
    Probably upper League One/bottom Championship type money. On average £3K a week I would imagine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's complex because we all know that players have a relatively short earning span. But even so, players earning £4/5k a week would not be my focus on furlough distribution. As for Millwall and Hibs, yes support the lower paid staff by all means.
    It is complex as well because the counter claim is if they continue to receive huge wages they will pay more tax and NI than they would probably donate to good causes. The only thing with that is how much of the tax and NI will be used to fight Covid-19
  • Options
    As football is supposed to be a family maybe the PFA could whip up a scheme where premier league players pay the furlough bill for the other leagues players.
    Win win, and reduced strain on the public purse.
    Mind you I believe ordinary club staff through the leagues should come first.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As football is supposed to be a family maybe the PFA could whip up a scheme where premier league players pay the furlough bill for the other leagues players.
    Win win, and reduced strain on the public purse.
    Mind you I believe ordinary club staff through the leagues should come first.
    Agree with this 
  • Options
    But furlough won’t give them more than £2,500 a month. Arguably they could just not be furloughed or paid as they have enough reserves to fall back on but that would be very complicated to administer as a system.

Personally think the furlough rules are about as good as they can be for instant support for PAYE staff in affected businesses. 
  • Options
    The trouble is how do you inforce a cut off?

Who is to say what rules should apply, real life stories are behind these players. If you pick an arbitrary figure (100k a year?), there will always be an example of someone just outside the threshold it doesnt work for.

If clubs furlough their players then all players should be entitled to the 80% of the 2.5K a month. How else do you enforce it? That's what the threshold is for everyone else.

Would be interesting to see if a player could terminate and move registration to another club if furloughed.
  • Options
    Pedant alert: the maximum is 80% of £3,125 being £2,500 before tax.
  • Options
    Decent player - always seemed to play well coming off the bench, especially in Europe.
  • Options
    Have to admit that I am surprised Charlton haven't taken advantage of this given our current state of affairs (not advocating it, just surprised)
  • Options
    Have to admit that I am surprised Charlton haven't taken advantage of this given our current state of affairs (not advocating it, just surprised)
    Tbf I think that perhaps we should.
    A better option than administration, unless Nimer's tens of millions are going to start rolling in.
  • Options
    What if Charlton were doing it?

As mentioned you can only furlough £2.5k a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Actually, the max the Govt will pay is £2.5 a month! It might make sense on non-playing staff, but even Charlton don't have many players earning that little dosh. 
  • Options
    Furlough.

I bet that's a word most of us had never even heard of two or three weeks ago. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

That would probably be a pay rise for most of ours 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I’m sure it was UP TO £2.5k a month
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Correct.
  • Options
    80% of wages up to £2,500 a month. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

It is so if you earn over £3,125 per month you will receive a maximum of £2,500. A load of Players in League 1 and below could be furloughed but the majority of Chanpionship players would be taking a huge wage cut if furloughed. 
  • Options
    Works just announced we'll be furloughed and expected to work.

80% salary with a new baby and as a result a single income.