Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Furlough

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Works just announced we'll be furloughed and expected to work.

80% salary with a new baby and as a result a single income.
    When you are furloughed you can’t work for that company, not even at home, not for an odd day in an emergency. End of. You can be taken off furlough and then furloughed again but each furlough period must be of at least three weeks.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

When you are furloughed you can’t work. End of.

You can work for another company though - e.g. furloughed from your job, part-time job stacking shelves in a supermarket, or delivery driver for Ocado etc...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

That is not what it's for - and is probably fraud.

Totally against the rules of the Scheme. Fraud pure and simple. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Maybe their announcement needs rewording in that case as they're usually pretty clued up.

Still 80% on a single income will be a bit shite as I'm very certain others are already experiencing.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Maybe their announcement needs rewording in that case as they're usually pretty clued up.

Still 80% on a single income will be a bit shite as I'm very certain others are already experiencing.
    Well you literally can't spend anything on travel and entertainment, so I would like to think it shouldn't be as bad as you may think (not that I know your circumstances).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Well you literally can't spend anything on travel and entertainment, so I would like to think it shouldn't be as bad as you may think (not that I know your circumstances).
    I'm probably better off even though 20% down.
  • Options
    Does commission come into furlough figure ? 
    So your basic Pay after tax is 1800 a month but you actually get another 800 a month in bonus/ commission does that 800 get taken into account. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It does of course depend on the individuals circumstances but as you say most would save on travel, buying lunch etc and not be much out of pocket over the course of a month. Add in the fact many are on a mortgage holiday being furloughed isn’t a problem for many, not all of course, but many.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Does commission come into furlough figure ? 
    So your basic Pay after tax is 1800 a month but you actually get another 800 a month in bonus/ commission does that 800 get taken into account. 
    I can’t remember because it doesn’t apply to staff on our payroll but it is covered on the gov.uk website under details of the Job Retention Scheme (but I think it does cover commission, contracted bonuses and even overtime).
  • Options
    At least Liverpool have reversed their furlough decision and apologised. Can't help thinking that this is a damage limitation exercise but at least they have done something positive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Weird situation here that I thought I could ask advice on... I'm away on sabbatical and was due back to work on 5th May but have pushed that out because of Coronavirus-related travel restrictions and figuring it'd be safer to stay in Canada self-isolating for now... even if I could bag myself a flight.

Can I ask them to put me on furlough from May instead of just extending the unpaid sabbatical?

Edit: To clarify, the reason I was thinking of it is I've still got rent/mortgage to pay in the UK which I'd budgeted to cover until May but will start to get tricky beyond that without an income (not because I want free money!)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As football is supposed to be a family maybe the PFA could whip up a scheme where premier league players pay the furlough bill for the other leagues players.
    Win win, and reduced strain on the public purse.
    Mind you I believe ordinary club staff through the leagues should come first.
    what about if the lowest paid got the most help 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Work have re-issued the notice with amendments this morning. 

It said some roles will continue to be expected to work, some will be furloughed and those that are furloughed will be topped up with an additional 20% covered by our employer. So no loss to staff that aren't allowed to continue working. 

I wonder if I do get fur'd I can get signed up as a volunteer somewhere to keep me mentally sharp as that's one of the tougher things in all of this... 
  • Options
    I don't understand why any Premier League team didn't wait until all collective negotiations with the PFA failed to reach a conclusion before they jumped on the bandwagon for non playing staff?

I appreciate clubs may have a separate structure for wages and how they run the playing side, to how they run the non playing side, but to just jump on a scheme straight away without waiting until the PFA concluded agreements, and then not trying to pursue individual agreements within their own clubs, seems incredulous and immoral to me.  

I am not in the 'footballers must hand over there wages camp', far from it.  I just cannot believe the likes of Levy couldn't wait a week or so for the PFA to conclude negotiations, and then isn't able to have productive discussions about what a wage cut may look like with the likes of Mourinho and Kane etc, to support the non playing staff.

I think Spurs have got some good guys in their squad like Kane who would've more than happily done something either individually or collectively to shave a bit of money from their wages to those on the non playing side.  Levy hasn't even bothered imo.  Just seen it as available and gone for it.  I just can't get my head around it all.

@Dazzler21 sorry to read this mate.  Tough times.  I know you will do everything you can to make it work for your family.  As others have said, you're either furloughed and not working, or your working on full pay.  Don't let any ratchet bosses think they're getting the best of both worlds here
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

It said some roles will continue to be expected to work, some will be furloughed and those that are furloughed will be topped up with an additional 20% covered by our employer. So no loss to staff. 

I wonder if I do get fur'd I can get signed up as a volunteer somewhere to keep me mentally sharp as that's one of the tougher things in all of this... 
    Don't even have to volunteer, you can take another job, I've been furloughed from my bar job and am now picking up 30+ hours a week in Sainsbury's, which is topping up the money lost in service charge/tips and the 20% reduction in wages.

Just to be clear though, not doing it just for the money, but doing it as a favour to my wife's best friend who is a manager there, half her checkout staff were over 70 and therefore all shielding at home for 12 weeks, many others were parents with young children, so she lost about 75% of the workforce overnight. Also helps to have a reason to get up, get ready and leave the house, otherwise I'd just be annoying the wife who's working from home and playing my PS4 like I'm 15 again.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It said some roles will continue to be expected to work, some will be furloughed and those that are furloughed will be topped up with an additional 20% covered by our employer. So no loss to staff. 

Don't even have to volunteer, you can take another job, I've been furloughed from my bar job and am now picking up 30+ hours a week in Sainsbury's, which is topping up the money lost in service charge/tips and the 20% reduction in wages.

Just to be clear though, not doing it just for the money, but doing it as a favour to my wife's best friend who is a manager there, half her checkout staff were over 70 and therefore all shielding at home for 12 weeks, many others were parents with young children, so she lost about 75% of the workforce overnight. Also helps to have a reason to get up, get ready and leave the house, otherwise I'd just be annoying the wife who's working from home and playing my PS4 like I'm 15 again.
    Your wife lets you do that?

Yeah we should get confirmation this week on what's happening to our roles. If we do get Furl'd I'll find something extra to do. Even if it's just a couple of days a week. 
  • Options
    I believe you need explicit permission from the employer furloughing you to take a “second” job so be careful...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

It said some roles will continue to be expected to work, some will be furloughed and those that are furloughed will be topped up with an additional 20% covered by our employer. So no loss to staff that aren't allowed to continue working. 

That sounds more like it, and the 20% top up is to be applauded.
    There is nothing to stop you doing any other paid or unpaid work - the furlough scheme is designed to protect your primary role.

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I believe you need explicit permission from the employer furloughing you to take a “second” job so be careful...
    Yes indeed. My renewed contract for furlough was very specific about that.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

That sounds more like it, and the 20% top up is to be applauded.
    There is nothing to stop you doing any other paid or unpaid work - the furlough scheme is designed to protect your primary role.

Yeah confirm that. 

Great idea @Dazzler21, that is an awesome solution. Hope it works out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weird situation here that I thought I could ask advice on... I'm away on sabbatical and was due back to work on 5th May but have pushed that out because of Coronavirus-related travel restrictions and figuring it'd be safer to stay in Canada self-isolating for now... even if I could bag myself a flight.

Can I ask them to put me on furlough from May instead of just extending the unpaid sabbatical?

Edit: To clarify, the reason I was thinking of it is I've still got rent/mortgage to pay in the UK which I'd budgeted to cover until May but will start to get tricky beyond that without an income (not because I want free money!)
    I'm not sure, part of the rules it that you must be in a full time job (or on a PAYE basis) on February 28, this includes people on zero hours contracts or those working flexibly. I'm not quite sure how a sabbatical would fall into this, but if you do pass that rule, hopefully you'll should be okay.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Cash in hand would be the best bet, if you pay 2 x lots of tax it will get messy.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Cash in hand would be the best bet, if you pay 2 x lots of tax it will get messy.
    So the best way to help the public pocket for their furlough expenditure would be to take a second job and not declare it for tax?
  • Options
    Sunderland taking the piss by placing their first team squad on Furlough leave ??? WTF
  • Options
    amazed we haven't done it yet given the shitshow currently happening
  • Options
    Sunderland taking the piss by placing their first team squad on Furlough leave ??? WTF
    Looks like they are guaranteeing 100% of their wages though. So if a player is on 30k a month they will take 2.5 from the government but still pay the other 27.5
  • Options
    Looks like they are guaranteeing 100% of their wages though. So if a player is on 30k a month they will take 2.5 from the government but still pay the other 27.5
    You've lost me there. Surely they get 80% of wages paid by the Government and Sunderland pay the other 20%?
  • Options
    You've lost me there. Surely they get 80% of wages paid by the Government and Sunderland pay the other 20%?
    The maximum the government are offering is 2.5k a month. So if a player is on 30k a month the government won't pay the 80%, they will pay 2.5. 
  • Options
    The maximum the government are offering is 2.5k a month. So if a player is on 30k a month the government won't pay the 80%, they will pay 2.5. 
    You're quite right. I'm now found! 
  • Options
    You're quite right. I'm now found! 
    Haha! I mean 30k isn't even that unreasonable for a club like Sunderland to be paying. Isn't Grigg on something like 80k a month. So they will still be paying 97% of his wages. Surely not what the scheme should be used for.