Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Captain Tom Moore (ed. RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Dodgy as Fcuk! Never like the daughter and set the dad up for this !
    The Barbados trip still during the pandemic was crazy and he died shortly afterwards! That’s when I got really suspicious! 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Huskaris said:
    Cloudworm said:
    As a trustee of a registered charity who gets paid nothing, not even expenses, I can absolutely see the value in having paid staff to do jobs.

They can commit proper time to it and bring in skills and experience that trustees and volunteers may not have.

Most paid staff in charities are needed to deliver the service so that IS what people donated for.

Do some people in some charities see it as a gravy train? Sure, but most charity staff aren't well paid.

And as we see in this case there is regulation that at least tries to stop abuses.

That doesn't, from what I see, justify £150k pa in this case but we don't have all the facts.

I'd be more annoyed about bonuses for bankers in banks we, the public, bailed out or  water bosses and shareholders taking huge bonuses and dividends after polluting our rivers.

And don't even mention PPE or track and trace
    Don't worry, The Daily Mail won't!
    Twice you've shoehorned the daily mail in this thread now. Get some new material 
    Wasn't me who posted the Daily Mail headline, dick.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Huskaris said:
    Cloudworm said:
    As a trustee of a registered charity who gets paid nothing, not even expenses, I can absolutely see the value in having paid staff to do jobs.

They can commit proper time to it and bring in skills and experience that trustees and volunteers may not have.

Most paid staff in charities are needed to deliver the service so that IS what people donated for.

Do some people in some charities see it as a gravy train? Sure, but most charity staff aren't well paid.

And as we see in this case there is regulation that at least tries to stop abuses.

That doesn't, from what I see, justify £150k pa in this case but we don't have all the facts.

I'd be more annoyed about bonuses for bankers in banks we, the public, bailed out or  water bosses and shareholders taking huge bonuses and dividends after polluting our rivers.

Twice you've shoehorned the daily mail in this thread now. Get some new material 
    Whatever mate, you're boring.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Huskaris said:
    Cloudworm said:

• Options
    I am sure the Charity Commission will get to the bottom of this without fear or favour.  They've a track record of honorable dealings, above and beyond reproach.  

Apart from Martin Thomas being appointed as the Chair of the Charity Commission, but then having to resign before taking up the post following three formal complaints about him, including sending an unsolicited picture of himself displaying lingerie to a female employee by mistake and asking her to send it on to the "correct" female employee.  I am sure Nadine Dorries was scrupulous and honest in insisting on fairness in the whole appointment process that ended up with Boris Johnson's long-term friend (click here and see the entry for 29 April 2019) Thomas being appointed. 
  • Options
    Can i suggest that a 'Bash Boris' thread is started. It seems to me that there are a dedicated group of anti Tories who take every opportunity  to highjack any number of threads to have a pop at Tories. This thread was about Capt Toms charity and peoples views as to whether the alledged CEO salary might be inappropriate. Not, "yea but what about friends of Boris".
    Agreed
  • Options
    Can i suggest that a 'Bash Boris' thread is started. It seems to me that there are a dedicated group of anti Tories who take every opportunity  to highjack any number of threads to have a pop at Tories. This thread was about Capt Toms charity and peoples views as to whether the alledged CEO salary might be inappropriate. Not, "yea but what about friends of Boris".
    No, it's a thread about Captain Tom and extended into some news about the charity set up after the distribution of the funds raised by his efforts. And some very well reasoned discussion as to whether people involved in the running of the charity should be investigated.  We should all hope that the Charity Commission is fair, trustworthy and beyond reproach, so that we can rest assured that their findings are appropriate.  

It seems the Charity Commission has as many questions to answer as the charity it has decided (and publicly announced) it's going to investigate.  

Who guards the guards?  I think it's very relevant to a thread that has turned from being a well-deserved lauding of a great Briton to a series of questions about the integrity of his immediate family. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what questions has the Charity Commission got to answer?
  • Options
    "Can we trust you to oversee charities when your senior appointments are so woefully inadequate and inappropriate?" 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chizz said:
    "Can we trust you to oversee charities when your senior appointments are so woefully inadequate and inappropriate?" 
    Can you elaborate on that please @Chizz.

Are there concerns over the running of the Charity Commission?
  • Options
    The appointment system is under review.  Because  Martin Thomas is a friend of Boris Johnson didn't make it inappropriate for his appointment, in my opinion. You no doubt, will disagree. 
    The Charity Commission  has done nothing wrong by checking the £150000 salary of the proposed CEO. It is one of the reasons it exists.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The appointment system is under review.  Because  Martin Thomas is a friend of Boris Johnson didn't make it inappropriate for his appointment, in my opinion. You no doubt, will disagree. 
    The Charity Commission  has done nothing wrong by checking the £150000 salary of the proposed CEO. It is one of the reasons it exists.
    I have never said the Charity Commission has done anything wrong. I'm just curious to see why Chizz thinks there is a problem with the Charity Commission itself. 

As to questions about The Captain Tom Foundation, a salary of £150K for the Chief Executive does seem excessive. If someone is being appointed for political reasons then I agree that it is not acceptable.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Afraid mate they have little else about them. There is also about 3 threads on the HoC group where they can and do that on a tedious daily basis.
  • Options
    Agreed
    Seconded...
  • Options
    Afraid mate they have little else about them. There is also about 3 threads on the HoC group where they can and do that on a tedious daily basis.
    Agreed and politicising everything, referring to a right wing view/agenda and polarising issues where there is no need
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Maybe start a new thread about the charity commission? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    Charities are all very well as an extra, but in this society I don't think anybody ought to either rely on, or be at the mercy of a charity to survive.
    If a government of any colour, local or national, passes their responsibilities off to the charitable sector they are avoiding taking proper action themselves.
    As per previous comments, whilst an interesting topic, this is for another thread?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Charities are all very well as an extra, but in this society I don't think anybody ought to either rely on, or be at the mercy of a charity to survive.
    If a government of any colour, local or national, passes their responsibilities off to the charitable sector they are avoiding taking proper action themselves.
    It depends on the type of charity, they don't only involve people. The charity I work for is better for not being funded by the Government.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As per previous comments, whilst an interesting topic, this is for another thread?
    This is a thread about a charity.
    Which other thread ought my comment to be on?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Maybe a rule that only a certain percentage of the Charity's previous 3 years avarage can be used on any individual salary, could be brought in.

It could also be banded depending on the size of the Charity.
    I don't know but think that this is why the regulator (Charity Commission) flagged this up.

£150k pa to head up a major national charity with 1000s of staff and £££m budget is reasonable and less than someone with the same responsibilities would get in the private sector.

For a small charity like Captain Tom's it's not reasonable.

It's out of kilter with the other expenditure and the amount of work and skills needed.
    Would £150k be a reasonable salary for the head of a L1 football club based charity without thousands of employees? Just asking for a friend…
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It depends on the type of charity, they don't only involve people. The charity I work for is better for not being funded by the Government.
    I have no idea which charity you are talking about, but if it is to save listed buildings, or protected habitats, or wildlife for example what happens if the money runs out?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I have no idea which charity you are talking about, but if it is to save listed buildings, or protected habitats, or wildlife for example what happens if the money runs out?
    Probably the RNLI Seth.
    A skipper told me they don't want funding as it would mean they are provided with equipment. Donations mean they can buy what they want. which means the best.

• Options
    Ah the RNLI.
    Fantastic voluntary service.
    When I was at Brockley County, once a year other boys would appear in our classroom inviting donations, and in return we go a paper badge and a pin:

If I had any money, which I usually didn't have, I would pay a penny or two and wear the badge which lasted all of half a day usually on a schoolboy uniform.
    The question remains though, what happens if the money runs out?
    Is it a political comment to mention that recently the RNLI were getting criticised for helping desperate people trying to cross the channel from France and Belgium?

We also used to learn about this exceptional woman:

https://rnli.org/about-us/our-history/timeline/1838-grace-darling

There is also this:

https://www.englandthisway.com/articles/lynmouth-lifeboat-incident.php#:~:text=The story takes place on,of crashing on the coast.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Maybe a rule that only a certain percentage of the Charity's previous 3 years avarage can be used on any individual salary, could be brought in.

It could also be banded depending on the size of the Charity.
    I don't know but think that this is why the regulator (Charity Commission) flagged this up.

£150k pa to head up a major national charity with 1000s of staff and £££m budget is reasonable and less than someone with the same responsibilities would get in the private sector.

For a small charity like Captain Tom's it's not reasonable.

It's out of kilter with the other expenditure and the amount of work and skills needed.
    Would £150k be a reasonable salary for the head of a L1 football club based charity without thousands of employees? Just asking for a friend…
    Not at all.

Fees more likely to be £100  to £150 a day and then only if grant funded.

At present, as previously stated, no one gets paid at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    Ah the RNLI.
    Fantastic voluntary service.
    When I was at Brockley County, once a year other boys would appear in our classroom inviting donations, and in return we go a paper badge and a pin:

If I had any money, which I usually didn't have, I would pay a penny or two and wear the badge which lasted all of half a day usually on a schoolboy uniform.
    The question remains though, what happens if the money runs out?
    Is it a political comment to mention that recently the RNLI were getting criticised for helping desperate people trying to cross the channel from France and Belgium?

We also used to learn about this exceptional woman:

https://rnli.org/about-us/our-history/timeline/1838-grace-darling

There is also this:

https://www.englandthisway.com/articles/lynmouth-lifeboat-incident.php#:~:text=The story takes place on,of crashing on the coast.

Yes it is, although I'd be interested to know how they determined which were the desperate ones - definitely for a different thread and not one about Captain Tom