Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Captain Tom Moore (ed. RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Legend...RIP Captain Sir Tom 
  • Options
    What a lovely man with a great attitude for life. His remark about there being a better day coming tomorrow (or similar) just brought a lump to my throat. Wisdom is in the hands of those that have lived a full life. The world is so much richer for our old folk. Covid had culled so many of our much loved elder statesmen and women (and the not so old Seb). A sad passing, but what a life and legacy. RIP Sir Tom
  • Options
    Dignified elders like Captain Tom do nothing but inspire me
  • Options
    On tv yesterday there were people complaining that family were allowed to be with him in hospital whilst they were banned from being with their dying loved ones. 
  • Options
    Today I heard him described as the nation's lovable grandfather, which I think is lovely.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    On tv yesterday there were people complaining that family were allowed to be with him in hospital whilst they were banned from being with their dying loved ones. 
    Not an unreasonable view.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He may well have been in a private hospital?
  • Options

As mentioned above, it would be very fitting, in due course, to have a permanent statue of him erected somewhere in central London.
  • Options
    Good Innings Old Boy, rest in peace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let’s cheer and be thankful for a life well lived

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He may well have been in a private hospital?
    He was defo in Bedford NHS hospital 
  • Options

Charity set up in Captain Sir Tom Moore's name 'tried to appoint his daughter as CEO on £150,000 salary before watchdog intervened'

Shocking
  • Options
    They have rather tarnished his legacy haven’t they
  • Options
    This is being investigated alongside the foundation paying his daughter and her husband rather large ‘expenses’, in fact it was actually more than it donated to charities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t know the story here so won’t judge, but realised a few years ago there are huge things wrong with the charity sector imo. 

Really saddens me that I feel so cynical and untrusting in the industry 
    I've worked with a couple of charities in a voluntary capacity (never took a penny for any travel etc...) and you are correct to feel this way. It was very surprising.
  • Options
    Don’t know the story here so won’t judge, but realised a few years ago there are huge things wrong with the charity sector imo. 

Most charities are properly run, don't let the very few bad apples cloud your thinking. 
    Depends what you mean by properly run. As in a business? yes, you’re probably right. Where the focus of what revenue received actually goes towards what people were donating towards and not to salaries, running costs,  expenses etc, I’m more cynical. 

Anyway, I’m detracting this a bit. 
    Fundraising isn't easy and money has to be spent to get people to donate. Money doesn't flow into charities without a lot of very hard work. 
    Maybe she was giving up a comparable salary to do this and/or was bringing a lot of skills and experience but it does seem excessive in the circumstances and sullying her father's name
  • Options
    Going to hold off making any assumptions until there’s more info…..I personally think it makes sense not to jump to any conclusions.
    In the first instance the entire family came across as being such a solid and honest bunch, I just can’t believe there’s anything underhand going on as the rest of the family would surely be outraged.
    I very much hope there’s a reasonable explanation.🤞🤞🤞
  • Options

Most charities are properly run, don't let the very few bad apples cloud your thinking. 
    Depends what you mean by properly run. As in a business? yes, you’re probably right. Where the focus of what revenue received actually goes towards what people were donating towards and not to salaries, running costs,  expenses etc, I’m more cynical. 

Fundraising isn't easy and money has to be spent to get people to donate. Money doesn't flow into charities without a lot of very hard work. 
    Maybe she was giving up a comparable salary to do this and/or was bringing a lot of skills and experience but it does seem excessive in the circumstances and sullying her father's name
    Or it’s The Daily Mail, where you took the headline from, which is sullying his name...and his daughter’s.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Or it’s The Daily Mail, where you took the headline from, which is sullying his name...and his daughter’s.
    If it is true, then they are just reporting the situation. Maybe there is a valid explanation, but £150,000 seems a lot and why the 'watchdog intervened'

Being reported elsewhere too https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/captain-tom-foundation-charity-daughter-b2018320.html

https://public.uk.com/2022/02/18/captain-tom-charity-tried-to-appoint-daughter-as-ceo-on-six-figure-salary/
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Maybe a rule that only a certain percentage of the Charity's previous 3 years avarage can be used on any individual salary, could be brought in.

It could also be banded depending on the size of the Charity.
  • Options
    I guess it depends what value they add, the market rate etc