Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Can’t see anyway that this season will finish. Will be scrapped and void in my opinion.

the only way i could see It finishing is if it ‘replaces’ next season. For instance we don’t get back playing properly until say Oct/Nov...it then effectively becomes a 9 game mini season. Finishes in Jan?? All the leagues finish and then until the following May the leagues devise some sort of regional based tournaments (for instance a London based one, midlands etc....all clubs from all divisions) to keep all teams playing and fans interested and TV companies semi-satisfied.

effectively then there is no 20/21 season at all.
  • posted and only skim read so apologies if I’ve copied someone etc

the efl will push for all games to be played behind closed doors with games on tv, on line.

the issue is, what happens if both of a teams senior goalkeepers get the virus the day before a 6 pointer? 
    a real issue ? .. then all the players who have been 'in contact' with the keepers would be put in isolation and the game would be postponed until all the players, including the keepers were clear .. OR, a keeper could be loaned under the emergency loan rules
    Say 10 teams across all 4 leagues have to isolate, in a time when games come thick and fast to Get a finish. It won’t be possible.

team 4th from bottom away to 4th from bottom suddenly have to isolate! The season needs to be written off. 
  • msomerton said:
    The player contract situation is not as such regulated by FIFA but by English law. If your contract is to June the 30th then you are free to move on then as you like. If the club want you to stay to finish the season then you have to agree to it and I do not expect any footballer will do that for free.
    msomerton said:
    The player contract situation is not as such regulated by FIFA but by English law. If your contract is to June the 30th then you are free to move on then as you like. If the club want you to stay to finish the season then you have to agree to it and I do not expect any footballer will do that for free.

my point is that  player can move on BUT the football authorities should prevent him playing for his new club for the rest of this season .. read this comment on the law regarding restrictive practices/covenants.

'The principle renders a contractual term purporting to restrict an individual's freedom to work for others or carry out his trade or business (a restrictive covenant) void unless it is designed to protect legitimate business interests and no wider than reasonably necessary.' ..  unquote

I'd argue that a player changing clubs and being prevented from playing for the new club during a part of the season when this was not usual, would be to protect legitimate business interests .. (This really belongs on the other thread)
    UEFA have said that they are looking at changing the transfer windows, and none will open until all league seasons are finished. I believe I read that they were looking at things ending by Aug 31st (Champions League final) and new transfer window opening after that.

Therefore, taking Lyle Taylor as an example, he wouldn't be able to join a new club until Sept 1st at the earliest. Thats 3 months without being paid. 

I'm pretty sure the EFL via UEFA will put something in place that says ALL football contracts are extended by 2 months.
    3 months without getting paid, welcome to my world!
  • I feel confident in saying that whatever is decided it will be the worst outcome for CAFC. 
  • Truth is nobody knows when and how things will be after lockdown, so absolutely impossible and pointless trying to come up with a solution when we still don't know the extent of the problem.
  • se9addick said:
    Season should be voided now, but every team starts next season with the points they have at the moment (adjusted for points per game average for teams that have games in hand). 
    This is what I had in mind.

Or somethin along the lines of; play the remainder of this seasons games, at the beginning or next season, award the winners / relegate the loosers. Then start the new season, with 6 random games less. A bit long winded and it would be a far too quick turn around though, but possibly something a long those lines
  • edited April 2020
    Scrapped. And we’ll be ok as bottom 2 will go down to allow top 2 of League 1 to come up.
    That's not scrapping it, that's ending it as it stands. Surely scrapping it is making it null and void? Which I think is fairer 
  • msomerton said:
    And why would you sign a 2 month extension to play competitive football that could result in a career ending injury? Makes no sense for any player to take such a short term contract with no guarantee of employment after.
  • We do know that when the lockdown is eased we will still be asked to social distance for some time. Unless sport is an exemption to this which I see no reason to believe, then I can’t see how players could be either asked or expected to play matches. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t see anyway that this season will finish. Will be scrapped and void in my opinion.

the only way i could see It finishing is if it ‘replaces’ next season. For instance we don’t get back playing properly until say Oct/Nov...it then effectively becomes a 9 game mini season. Finishes in Jan?? All the leagues finish and then until the following May the leagues devise some sort of regional based tournaments (for instance a London based one, midlands etc....all clubs from all divisions) to keep all teams playing and fans interested and TV companies semi-satisfied.

effectively then there is no 20/21 season at all.
    The 20/21 season could run through the summer, then the 21/22 season finish in November 22.  Then you have the world cup, then it would be the 22/23 season that wouldn't happen.

• In order to avoid legal ramifications, a vote of all league clubs needs to be taken on the fairest way to end the season without playing any further games.
    Once the vote is obtained, the decision needs to be complied with by all clubs.
    There are many options, but I think the fairest, and probably the most acceptable to the vast majority of clubs, would be to Promote the top two in each league and increase the size of the higher league just for next season, then increase the relegation spots by another two at the end of next season, to bring it back to normal.
    That way the only team to lose out would be the third placed team, but their promotion was far from assured anyway.
    Scrap relegation for this year only.
    this is exactly the solution my long time friend (and CAFC addict) is advocating .. IF the season can't be finished, this would be by far the best way to go .. the biggest stumbling block ? .. the Prem .. they moan enough about the fixture congestion with Euro and cup games as it is ..  four extra league games would go down like a lead balloon with the top clubs .. as I mentioned earlier, a solution might be to scrap all the cups, except the Champions League next season .. whatever @queensland_addick your suggestion is excellent, BUT as Abraham Lincoln put it, 'you can't please all of the people all of the time'
  • In order to avoid legal ramifications, a vote of all league clubs needs to be taken on the fairest way to end the season without playing any further games.
    Once the vote is obtained, the decision needs to be complied with by all clubs.
    There are many options, but I think the fairest, and probably the most acceptable to the vast majority of clubs, would be to Promote the top two in each league and increase the size of the higher league just for next season, then increase the relegation spots by another two at the end of next season, to bring it back to normal.
    That way the only team to lose out would be the third placed team, but their promotion was far from assured anyway.
    Scrap relegation for this year only.
    this is exactly the solution my long time friend (and CAFC addict) is advocating .. IF the season can't be finished, this would be by far the best way to go .. the biggest stumbling block ? .. the Prem .. they moan enough about the fixture congestion with Euro and cup games as it is ..  four extra league games would go down like a lead balloon with the top clubs .. as I mentioned earlier, a solution might be to scrap all the cups, except the Champions League next season .. whatever @queensland_addick your suggestion is excellent, BUT as Abraham Lincoln put it, 'you can't please all of the people all of the time'
    You wouldn't even need to scrap all of the cups. 4 extra rounds of games just exclude the Premier League teams from next season's League Cup is all that needs doing to fit the 4 extra rounds of games in. Would also make it interesting to see an EFL team win the League Cup.
  • I can see Queensland's solution with a one/two year optional exemption from League Cup, depending on relegation policy to restore league size.
  • What has not been factored in is that despite our wonderful care workers, essential service workers and all those who have done as they have been told and isolated, there still are a significant amount of bell-ends in our population. 

The FA and FL will have nothing to do with it, they can decide all they like,  the authorities will shut it down.  Void all competition and start again post all clear, which will be a while off yet.
  • edited April 2020
    I can see only 2 scenarios that, sadly, probably mean we go down; completing the season behind closed doors (if any play proves possible) or following the Scottish leagues and ending the season now with promotion and relegation dictated by current positions. With Lyle clearly going and without our great support, I can see us ending without any further wins this season. Bit gutted really. It really would be ‘so Charlton’ to have fallen into the bottom 3 for the first, only and worst point of a uniquely shortened season. Unbelievable Jeff.
  • edited April 2020
    meldrew66 said:
    I can see only 2 scenarios that, sadly, probably mean we go down; completing the season behind closed doors (if any play proves possible) or following the Scottish leagues and ending the season now with promotion and relegation dictated by current positions. With Lyle clearly going and without our great support, I can see us ending without any further wins this season. Bit gutted really. It really would be ‘so Charlton’ to have fallen into the bottom 3 for the first, only and worst point of a uniquely shortened season. Unbelievable Jeff.
    I'd be surprised if the EPL/EFL can legally end the season prematurely as it stands rather than just voiding it. If there's a legal justification for doing so I'm surprised it hasn't found it's way into the public realm yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• meldrew66 said:
    We will not f*** it up like the sweaties, the season will not be decided on current standings.  There is too much money at stake, unlike the pennies played for in Scotland.
  • meldrew66 said:
    We will not f*** it up like the sweaties, the season will not be decided on current standings.  There is too much money at stake, unlike the pennies played for in Scotland.
    I still think we’ll be bottom three if they decided to start the season over again. We’ve been real crap and I can’t see anything to make me think playing behind closed doors will change it. That’s if we still have a club to support. 
  • meldrew66 said:
    I still think we’ll be bottom three if they decided to start the season over again. We’ve been real crap and I can’t see anything to make me think playing behind closed doors will change it. That’s if we still have a club to support. 
    Agreed, plus a points deduction for administration.

Division 4 August 2022.
  • edited April 2020
    We have 16 senior players either on loan or with contracts about to expire.  Even if those contracts could somehow be temporarily extended, their total salaries will be in the region of £700k per month, additional outgoings we can obviously not afford.
    You think we’re paying an average of £43,750 a month to each of those 16 players?  Really???
  • What has not been factored in is that despite our wonderful care workers, essential service workers and all those who have done as they have been told and isolated, there still are a significant amount of bell-ends in our population. 

The FA and FL will have nothing to do with it, they can decide all they like,  the authorities will shut it down.  Void all competition and start again post all clear, which will be a while off yet.
    Commenting on my own post, but I forgot to add.  We will still be shit whichever way it goes. Pick anyone out of a long list of villains, RD, Latrien, Murray, Mouthall, The Sheik of fuck all...  they have all done for us!
  • If this season is completed one way or another, how about -

make 20/21 a shortened season by only playing other teams once, no return matches, commencing November or whenever

a formula based on the placings in 19/20 to make the home and always as fair as possible

only two up and down (promotion/relegation)

forget all competitions outside the league except perhaps the FA Cup

• meldrew66 said:
    If they ended the season now with current positions dictating promotion and relegation then we'd be fine as it'd be 2 up 2 down. There won't be play offs and they won't just promote the 3rd placed team.

Genuinely don't see this happening though. They either finish the season behind closed doors or the season is scrapped.
  • Canceling the season is clearly the best result for us, but we are obviously still utterly ruined as a football club, utter uncertainty, no money, total weirdo's in charge that make no sense what so ever, so how we will be even able to field 11 players next, whenever next, season even is? 

Unless we either get a hail mary from some unknown investor, or suddenly the cast of complete criminal arseholes who have broken up the assets, and found a way to try and cripple this club, permanently, once and for all, suddenly change their spots or find 50 million under the sofa, I think we are in the most dangerous position we have been in since we left the Valley. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    We have 16 senior players either on loan or with contracts about to expire.  Even if those contracts could somehow be temporarily extended, their total salaries will be in the region of £700k per month, additional outgoings we can obviously not afford.
    You think we’re paying an average of £43,750 a month to each of those 16 players?  Really???
    They represent approx 2/3rds of our playing squad and include most of our best paid players including loans where we must be picking up a decent part of their wages (eg Taylor, Sarr, Williams, Cullen, Hemed, Green etc).

i suspect our total wage bill (for all staff) is in the region of £14m or so so those 16 would represent £8.4m which seems about right.