Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612

National League Clubs vote to end the season.

Surely a forerunner of what is to come even if the EFL still say the Leagues will finish.
  • I dont understand everyone screaming for null and void - you need to park trying to save Charlton arse for now. We have bigger issues than relegation.

Finish this season whenever. Compromise the next one.
    If we are still in the Championship next season, rather than League 1, there is at least a small chance that we may hang on to some decent players and perhaps even attract other investors who may actually be genuine and have some money.
    Just for once, in my lifetime, it would be wonderful to see us actually get a lucky break for once, rather than get shafted yet again.
    The fans deserve it, the team deserves it, in fact the whole club deserves a slice of good fortune.
    Relegation would be huge, and could well be the final nail in our coffin.
    Saving Charlton's "arse" should be the priority of all of us right now, by hook or by crook.
    We are in a bad way, on and off the field, if the season continues, I don't fancy our chances at all.

• I dont understand everyone screaming for null and void - you need to park trying to save Charlton arse for now. We have bigger issues than relegation.

Finish this season whenever. Compromise the next one.
    Hasn’t this season already been compromised? Surely this is the season to write off and start again next season, whenever that may be
    100%
  • Please please end the season now. It will shut the pundits up and the players. Let us all just concentrate on ending this awful virus.
    Totally agree,17000 plus people die in UK alone,17000 families lost a mum a dad,brother sister,son,daughter,how is sport even worth a mention.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    There are so many logistical hurdles to starting up again. At this point, teams would need some lede time, and that won't happen until May at the earliest. That makes finishing 19-20 almost impossible.

You then have the issue of contracts expiring June 30, so you're racing the clock to finish. 

There is then the issue of needing to quarantine players and their families, plus referees, plus club staff, in between matches. Testing will not only need to occur up front, but throughout the season if/when someone shows symptoms. Because of the nature of football, it will be easy for it to spread through a squad, and if players are asymptomatic, to then spread to other squads, club staff, etc. Tests and those administering them would be taking away from the overall efforts to combat the virus.

This will also require a lot of both medical and cleaning staff dedicated to making this all work. This will come at a time when clubs aren't getting any matchday income (though I imagine money from streaming and telly will be coming in). 

I can't see all 92 clubs making it work logistically and financially. And that's before we get into the moral issue of prioritizing football and footballers over public health. Or the fact that the number of tests required just might not be available.

But it's a serious risk that teams might go into administration because of this. And the incredibly wealthy FA, Premier League, and (to a lesser extent) EFL all need to be looking at big picture solutions surrounding things like loans and bailouts. And it increasingly feels like this naive hope that they will be able to finish the season is just kicking the can down the road on these kinds of big picture problems. 
  • Please please end the season now. It will shut the pundits up and the players. Let us all just concentrate on ending this awful virus.
    Yup 
  • There is no way the season will be completed and I doubt next season will start on time either - to be honest I'm past caring. Far more dreadful news to come I reckon. By the time football (or any sport) commences it's quite possible we may not even exist in our present form.
  • addick19 said:
    There is no way the season will be completed and I doubt next season will start on time either - to be honest I'm past caring. Far more dreadful news to come I reckon. By the time football (or any sport) commences it's quite possible we may not even exist in our present form.
    I agree,but I am sick and tired of the way our club is being run,(like everybody else)I would rather watch div 2 football with the club being run by genuine people and not a succession of idiots and crooks Look at the guys owning Accrington and Fleetwood,,that would do me.
  • Not sure if anyone has seen this and apologies if has been mentioned since yesterday..but what about this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381370
  • Not sure if anyone has seen this and apologies if has been mentioned since yesterday..but what about this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381370
    We have a relatively good home record. Does anyone has a morning to spare, and want to calculate the final league table on average points at home and away?
  • edited April 2020
    the latest advice/edict from the govt advisers that we all might be social distancing until Christmas makes the possibility of finishing this season very unlikely, even behind closed doors .. and the football powers that be will not have a clue 'where to go'/what to do until there is at least some semblance of certainty.  
  • the latest advice/edict from the govt advisers that we all might be social distancing until Christmas makes the possibility of finishing this season very unlikely, even behind closed doors .. and the football powers that be will not have a clue 'where to go'/what to do until there is at least some semblance of certainty.  
    I concur. Every day it appears less likely but next season isn't a certainty either. If nothing changes at Charlton we won't be in a position to start next season. The club is being destroyed but there are other clubs as well who simply can't fund themselves. From anywhere near Spalding?
  • trickyf said:
    the latest advice/edict from the govt advisers that we all might be social distancing until Christmas makes the possibility of finishing this season very unlikely, even behind closed doors .. and the football powers that be will not have a clue 'where to go'/what to do until there is at least some semblance of certainty.  
    I concur. Every day it appears less likely but next season isn't a certainty either. If nothing changes at Charlton we won't be in a position to start next season. The club is being destroyed but there are other clubs as well who simply can't fund themselves. From anywhere near Spalding?
    No, I live near Grimsby, few miles south west on the edge of the wolds, Waltham .. Lincolnshire is a BIG county .. I'm a south Londoner. Lewisham/Lee/Blackheath, moved here a few years back .. you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Social distancing will be around for a LONG time.  So how can a football match take place?
  • Social distancing will be around for a LONG time.  So how can a football match take place?
    Behind closed doors and all players tested
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Social distancing will be around for a LONG time.  So how can a football match take place?
    This could only work if all players, coaches, managers, staff and anyone else needed to play a game were all quarantined away from the rest of society and kept away from them which is just not realistic.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Social distancing will be around for a LONG time.  So how can a football match take place?
    Would need to test more than just the players. Then there's the people they will come into contact with between matches so would need to be tested regularly. Just don't see it as feasible. 
  • Declare it null and void (eventually) so that there'll be enough time meanwhile for a resolution to our club's crisis to be found.
  • addick19 said:
    There is no way the season will be completed and I doubt next season will start on time either - to be honest I'm past caring. Far more dreadful news to come I reckon. By the time football (or any sport) commences it's quite possible we may not even exist in our present form.
    Do you mean that you think that we are going to mutate?
  • Talal said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Would need to test more than just the players. Then there's the people they will come into contact with between matches so would need to be tested regularly. Just don't see it as feasible. 

They'll have to make it a non contact sport like Basketball.

• I want to go to the Valley have a beer and watch us again, but at the moment I can’t see that happening this side of October/November

I think it'll be much longer than that. The very last things to be 'back to normal' will be where there are large crowds in close proximity. Football and other sports, gigs etc, it won't be this year sadly.