Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Top 2 go up 
    bottom 2 go down 
    no play offs

of course that would help us 

Championship 
    Leeds and West Brom - 6 and 7 points clear of rest. 
    luton and Barnsley - 6 and 7 points from safety. 

League 1
    Coventry and Rotherham 7 and 2 points clear of rest 
    Bolton and Southend 18 and 16 points from safety - no argument there. 

League 2 - gets more complicated 

Crewe, Swindon, Plymouth Can’t promote all 3 
    only one Gets relegated - Stevenage 

the issue is for lower leagues it has a ripple effect all the way through, as we are part of the efl it has to be uniform across all the leagues. 

It either needs to be played out or cancelled completely. 

The contract issue is going to massively fuck us over we could play remaining games with no taylor no loan players
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Top 2 go up 
    bottom 2 go down 
    no play offs

of course that would help us 

Championship 
    Leeds and West Brom - 6 and 7 points clear of rest. 
    luton and Barnsley - 6 and 7 points from safety. 

League 1
    Coventry and Rotherham 7 and 2 points clear of rest 
    Bolton and Southend 18 and 16 points from safety - no argument there. 

League 2 - gets more complicated 

Crewe, Swindon, Plymouth Can’t promote all 3 
    only one Gets relegated - Stevenage 

the issue is for lower leagues it has a ripple effect all the way through, as we are part of the efl it has to be uniform across all the leagues. 

It either needs to be played out or cancelled completely. 

The contract issue is going to massively fuck us over we could play remaining games with no taylor no loan players
    League One already has Bury removed so you could still promote the top three from League Two.

I agree though it needs either playing out by the end of June or cancelled completely. And I'd be amazed if football is even capable of starting by the end of June.
  • Options
    Why cant you promote all three from League Two?

Send the top three up (as normal), relegate just Bolton and Southend and it allows League One to go back to 24-teams

Stevenage dont get relegated and Barrow come up from the Conference
  • Options
    My personal thoughts are they will do all they can to finish this season. It will be easier from a legal perspective and means they will meet all of the contractual requirements as well. I think allowing SKY to show additional games I.e. all of them as they will be behind closed doors will also allow the Premier League /EFL some leverage in future negotiations. As Elfsborg has said earlier it’s all about the money. 

I know there are problems around players contracts etc, but if you are a player at a lower level would you want to be out of contract with no idea what is going to happen next season? I also believe any club that has furloughed workers whether they have changed their minds or not should be banned from signing any new players for a fee as they Obviously can’t afford them. 

Additionally, I think they will look to finish the season as they will not want to start a new season behind close doors as it’s clear we are not going to be able to go to games for quite some time if again this year. Although, as we know money talks and the fans seem to be secondary to all else at the moment.

By finishing this season they could then change next season in line with what time allows it to be and renegotiate TV contracts salaries etc to match this. 

I  don’t see how there can be any Euro competition next season and this can be offset by allowing the 19/20 qualifiers to enter in 21/22 and if the 20/21 is not a full season it does not count for European qualification. Let’s be honest it will be yhe same teams that qualify anyway. 

As I have said just my opinion and I imagine UEFA will want to have a CL and Europa competition for money purposes.

I always thought the football bubble would burst, I just never imagined this would be how it did. 

Football clubs must. Be aware  that fans will get used to watching on TV which is a lot cheaper than attending and game and added to this the current situation is making people realise there are more important things than football. 

For us it has come at probably the worst possible time in our history and the longer it goes on the more fearful I am that I have seen our last ever game last month. 
  • Options
    My personal thoughts are they will do all they can to finish this season. It will be easier from a legal perspective and means they will meet all of the contractual requirements as well. I think allowing SKY to show additional games I.e. all of them as they will be behind closed doors will also allow the Premier League /EFL some leverage in future negotiations. As Elfsborg has said earlier it’s all about the money. 

I know there are problems around players contracts etc, but if you are a player at a lower level would you want to be out of contract with no idea what is going to happen next season? I also believe any club that has furloughed workers whether they have changed their minds or not should be banned from signing any new players for a fee as they Obviously can’t afford them. 

Additionally, I think they will look to finish the season as they will not want to start a new season behind close doors as it’s clear we are not going to be able to go to games for quite some time if again this year. Although, as we know money talks and the fans seem to be secondary to all else at the moment.

By finishing this season they could then change next season in line with what time allows it to be and renegotiate TV contracts salaries etc to match this. 

I  don’t see how there can be any Euro competition next season and this can be offset by allowing the 19/20 qualifiers to enter in 21/22 and if the 20/21 is not a full season it does not count for European qualification. Let’s be honest it will be yhe same teams that qualify anyway. 

As I have said just my opinion and I imagine UEFA will want to have a CL and Europa competition for money purposes.

I always thought the football bubble would burst, I just never imagined this would be how it did. 

Football clubs must. Be aware  that fans will get used to watching on TV which is a lot cheaper than attending and game and added to this the current situation is making people realise there are more important things than football. 

For us it has come at probably the worst possible time in our history and the longer it goes on the more fearful I am that I have seen our last ever game last month. 
    The winner of 'Post of the Thread'.
  • Options
    Surely a solution for Sky TV, BT Sport etc is to give them extra games next season to compensate eg let them both show a Saturday 3pm kick off each for every game they are missing. I say Saturday 3pm as this is now possible from next season I believe and no current rights are there to broadcast these so just let them broadcast one Saturday 3pm between them until they have caught up on the games they've missed out on.

Then we can have a sensible conclusion to the 19/20 season without money dictating instead of safety.
  • Options

Agree with most but banning clubs from buying players is a bit harsh. It’s like banning companies from buying printer cartridges for the same reason
  • Options
    With the Bundesliga now set to resume on May 9th providing the health department agree to the plan, then other leagues will soon follow suit
  • Options
    Germany is in a very different position to the UK. More confirmed cases and 10,000 less deaths. They can be a lot more confident of their real picture than we can. The UK seems to be shadowing Italy very closely. I doubt the Italians are close to resuming football.
  • Options

Agree with most but banning clubs from buying players is a bit harsh. It’s like banning companies from buying printer cartridges for the same reason
    Agreed,I was a bit harsh about banning players, but -at the same time the Premier League clubs are crying they are struggling for cash the papers are running stories about Utd bidding £200m for Kane and the other foreign imports coming to join the gravy train.

Plus I was thinking it would put us on a more level playing field next season. Although, admittedly we would lose out on any recent freebies (as they would be allowed) due to the salaries. 

Although after  reading the news tonight about the EFL investigation just having team  left to support when football starts again is going to be a bonus as a Charlton fan! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Given at least two weeks training needed, can't see even behind closed doors, minimum 50 people together, happening before end of May.  Players can refuse to risk their lives even then. Cannot happen. Post 30th June, no level playing field.

Season void. Maybe Prem may accept top two promotion and increase relegation in subsequent years.

The Premiership's lack of support to the pyramid is disgusting.
  • Options

But no surprise. 
  • Options
    With the Bundesliga now set to resume on May 9th providing the health department agree to the plan, then other leagues will soon follow suit

Hmmmmmm, we'll see how long that takes.  My money says AT LEAST July for us.
  • Options
    Pardew and Powell will be happy and hoping the season is void

7 points from safety and in terrible form 
  • Options
    I still think it will be cancelled. I just can't see how they can dedicate the resources to keeping players and club staff safe. 
  • Options
    If the Dutch cancel their season, that's a massive development. Interesting that they don't believe playing behind closed doors us a viable option

No Dutch teams left in Europe, so theoretically the CL and EL could continue, but what happens next season if some leagues resume and some don't?
  • Options
    If the Dutch cancel their season, that's a massive development. Interesting that they don't believe playing behind closed doors us a viable option

No Dutch teams left in Europe, so theoretically the CL and EL could continue, but what happens next season if some leagues resume and some don't?
    Not going to happen but the easiest approach would be to cancel Cup competitions (that includes the Champions League and Europa League) until 2021/22

Concentrate on being able to play domestic league games before those come back

Even if Football cant resume until September / October you'll surely be able to complete next season just by having League games and nothing else
  • Options

Not going to happen but the easiest approach would be to cancel Cup competitions (that includes the Champions League and Europa League) until 2021/22

Concentrate on being able to play domestic league games before those come back

Even if Football cant resume until September / October you'll surely be able to complete next season just by having League games and nothing else

We need to finish the current season first, and that is not happening anytime soon.

If this one is played to a finish you'll be lucky to see the next one start by October.

If it was not for the sake of a pound note the season would have been squashed by now.  Money over lives.
  • Options
    Roughly seventy days until June 30th. Only way this season will finish is if they can find a creative way to navigate the remaining period of next season.

if we finish 2019/2020 season then next year won’t be able to be completed. Don’t see this season finishing before September/ October at earliest. Would need to find a creative way (British league/cup competition) to fill the schedule until we can resume in August 2021.

We’ve still got Euro qualifiers, FA cups, league matches and Europeans matches to play to finish the season officially.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont understand everyone screaming for null and void - you need to park trying to save Charlton arse for now. We have bigger issues than relegation.

Finish this season whenever. Compromise the next one.
  • Options
    Simplest to write off this season and hope to start the new one as early as possible. Maybe with a September start and ditch the cups for next season.

Trouble with trying to finish this season is this will inevitably then create problems for next season too.
  • Options
    I dont understand everyone screaming for null and void - you need to park trying to save Charlton arse for now. We have bigger issues than relegation.

Finish this season whenever. Compromise the next one.
    Can’t see the TV companies handing over billion when they have nothing to show for next season. 

This is nothing to do with Charlton current ownership scenario, but not a chance I would not hand over a penny in season ticket money until we receive confirmation on next season, how many matches will be played etc. Do we get compensated on matches being played behind closed doors etc.

A lot of big decision need to be made in a short period of time. 

• Options
    It's pointless finishing this season if it ends up completely compromising next season, what's the benefit? We have a short period of time to complete 2019/20 before it starts causing ongoing problems. 

If we get to say July, and only then is everything is finally back to some sort of normality, it would be a lot simpler to just start 2020/21 as per normal

Of course the contrary argument is that next season could be affected by C19 as well, if there's a second wave...
  • Options
    Most national league players out of contract on Monday. No chance most part time players would get time off to finish season in crazy schedule. Still to vote on how to finish the season. 
  • Options
    Given at least two weeks training needed, can't see even behind closed doors, minimum 50 people together, happening before end of May.  Players can refuse to risk their lives even then. Cannot happen. Post 30th June, no level playing field.

Season void. Maybe Prem may accept top two promotion and increase relegation in subsequent years.

It will almost certainly require much longer. This weekend will be 7 weeks since most teams last played a game and it's going to be at least another 2-3 weeks before teams can even start to train. And that's if the lockdown doesn't get extended.

That's longer than most team usually have off in the summer (early May-early July) and then teams have 4 weeks of pre-season and play various friendly games before playing competitive football.
  • Options
    a lot of what happens is going to depend on Government regulation. For example in Denmark it would seem that no gatherings of people will be allowed until at the earliest September, and then they will restrict the numbers.
    So if many other countries follow along those lines then it is immaterial what UEFA say.
  • Options
    Just don't see it feasible due to contracts loans expiring on 30th June