Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Excellent news.

If Sarr and Taylor agree to play and beyond June, I really think we have a good chance of staying up, especially now everyone is back fit and seemingly all in very good shape.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    So with the new test and trace -if one player is possitive with symptoms then surely all his team mates any opposing players will have to self isolate for 14 days or am I missing something?
    Not necessarily. Because Championship clubs have access to testing twice a week, once results come back, you should know who in the squad has it and who doesn't. @Sage says it's about a 1-2 day turnaround on testing results. That part is concerning for when it comes to contact training, because it means that it could spread within a squad in those two days.

But, given the frequency of the testing, you should at least be able to catch it, or "Trace it," pretty quickly. 

Now, imagine if the entire country had access to that level of testing akin to South Korea (it wouldn't be necessary for everyone, but you get my point).

Once contact training starts I expect the numbers will go up. The problem is, players get it from just doing their grocery shopping. The virus hasn't been eliminated in the country. So I think they're probably going to need to put strict self-quarantine in effect for players for the next month or two. Basically, training ground, home, and matches. Same for staff. You could still get it from a teammate/colleague or family member, but it would reduce exposure.

It wouldn't be a problem if the players didnt  go home on between training. It was mooted on here a month or so ago that it should be treated like a World Cup. All players stay together in a hotel & it wouldnt matter do much. The Preston player said that he felt fine & was amazed that he tested positive. Fit men under the age of 35 seem to been immune to the symptoms. Very very few people under the age of 40 who have no underlying health problems have been ill from Covid-19.
    You're absolutely right, this is how it should have been done. Costs are prohibitive, as is players' desire to be away from family. But there was initially talk of doing this for baseball here (using Spring Training fields), it's the safest way to do the thing. The problem obviously being cost and logistics. But it would reduce a tremendous number of variables. You could set up no contact delivery of food and anything else players needed, etc. 

But lets be honest, player safety isn't the biggest concern in all this, it's money.
    This last sentence totally sums it up for me. Although I want to see Charlton play again it should only be when it is safe to do so. I am not fully convinced this to be the case, however, I am no expert and I hope I am working unnecessarily. 

The other issue for me will be the fans congregating, the so called experts don’t think this will be a problem, I am  not so sure. 

i will watch the Charlton games unfortunately only on TV , but my main hopes is that everyone connected with ‘Project Restart’ remains fit and healthy. 
  • Options
    Lyle I’d imagine 
  • Options
    Must be Taylor then 
  • Options
    Strange seeing he's gone from saying on that Podcast that he'll reassess each time the situation changes

Taking it with a pinch of salt until that Hull game - Especially as Bowyer appears one of those Managers who has the power of persuasion
  • Options
    Have to respect anyone who makes that decision. He's been treated badly by the club regarding his future and he surely needs to think about that particularly at the stage his career is at. On top of that are the obvious health risks. It's a shame for us but understandable from his point of view, however I'd be delighted if he changes his mind. 
  • Options
    Taylor doesn’t want to play fair enough but then won’t be paid for 3 months so up to him entirely, I get it he’s 30 had an injury in the last year and wants one final big move - get it completely, I presume if they extend contracts and he refuses to play he will be in breach of contract so no wage will be paid 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taylor doesn’t want to play fair enough but then won’t be paid for 3 months so up to him entirely, I get it he’s 30 had an injury in the last year and wants one final big move - get it completely, I presume if they extend contracts and he refuses to play he will be in breach of contract so no wage will be paid 
    They can’t unilaterally extend contracts, that’s just not a thing that can legally happen. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    (although surely he’s in breach of contract now for not turning up to training? Doubt we’d actually try and sue him for it, but technically now that gov’t have said it’s totally fine I’m not sure what his legal argument would be for not attending?)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Removed and added comment to the Lyle thread. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    They can’t unilaterally extend contracts, that’s just not a thing that can legally happen. 
    I was led to believe that all football player contracts have been extended till end of July as opposed to end of June?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I was led to believe that all football player contracts have been extended till end of July as opposed to end of June?
    Unless they already had a clause that allowed for that how would that be possible? 
  • Options
    TalkSport are saying its Taylor | Solly | Davis that are reluctant to play... Talk about a wide spectrum of players

Got one who is a Charlton Legend, one who has been here five minutes and one who is loved by fans
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    They end in June. I think it's written in every players contract that they're paid until the end of July, I guess as some kind of protection measure for players in case they don't find another club in normal circumstances.
  • Options
    I wonder if Solly doesnt want to play as he's got an epic injury record

If he plays and gets another injury he probably doesnt stand a chance of getting another contract

Will probably struggle to pass a medical anywhere anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Clubs and players can agree to extend contracts until “a date the season can be completed” as opposed to a set date. But that has to be agreed by both.

The EFL have a rule of paying 1 extra month after contracts end (a bit like 1 months notice) so players that have contracts until 30th June will be paid for July.

I think some reports seem to be getting those 2 points confused with each other.
  • Options
    Bowyer is on TalkSport properly now...

https://talksport.com/radioplayer/live/index.html
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Poor from them in my opinion. 

Injuries are always a risk.
  • Options
    Cant blame any of them for different reasons. Lyle has a potentially huge contract that would be at risk by getting injured. Solly is out of contract and unlikely to get a new one with us, having had loads of injuries of the last few years he doesnt want to risk not getting another club. Davis i assume is family related stuff.

Fair play to each of them, by not voiding the season the EFL have sent us down, how can it be fair to make us play without our best player because they are too scared to upset some of the big teams in the division?
  • Options
    Can't criticise really. 

Your contract runs out in 30 days and you've probably already been spoken to by a number of high-level clubs and know you'll be earning 20,000+ for the next 4 years if you stay healthy for a month. 
  • Options
    Taylor the only disappointing one really. Glad it's Solly and not Matthews. 
  • Options
    My only question is can they refuse to play in June as they are still under contract?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Taylor the only disappointing one really. Glad it's Solly and not Matthews. 
    Am relieved its not Solly and Matthews

The fact we hadnt seen either training was leaving me questioning who we'd have at Right-Back

Of course Oshilaja would play there but you want him backup at CB
  • Options
    Solly always injured anyway , love the guy but no loss, Davis was awful simple as that , Taylor obviously is a huge loss .