Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    Disappointed in Solly and Taylor. I expected better of them
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Cant blame any of them for different reasons. Lyle has a potentially huge contract that would be at risk by getting injured. Solly is out of contract and unlikely to get a new one with us, having had loads of injuries of the last few years he doesnt want to risk not getting another club. Davis i assume is family related stuff.

Fair play to each of them, by not voiding the season the EFL have sent us down, how can it be fair to make us play without our best player because they are too scared to upset some of the big teams in the division?
    The EFL have offered us a lifeline by letting the season continue. Lyle not playing is down to him.
  • Options
    Lyle is one of them and that’s tough for us and for me as the manager. He’s a big player for us. Lyle has said that he’s not going to play because of risk of injury. Chris Solly has said the same.

Solly is doing the same thing as Taylor. Sitting out for a contract at a new team. 
  • Options
    My only question is can they refuse to play in June as they are still under contract?
    They can all refuse to play because of the Corona,  the reason lyle is giving is not quite right to me , because he doesn't want to get injured,  tough I say you are under contract.
  • Options
    I honestly can’t remember who Davies is. 
  • Options
    Cant blame any of them for different reasons. Lyle has a potentially huge contract that would be at risk by getting injured. Solly is out of contract and unlikely to get a new one with us, having had loads of injuries of the last few years he doesnt want to risk not getting another club. Davis i assume is family related stuff.

Fair play to each of them, by not voiding the season the EFL have sent us down, how can it be fair to make us play without our best player because they are too scared to upset some of the big teams in the division?
    Surely every player has a “potentially huge contract that would be at risk by getting injured“ every time they step onto the pitch?

Taylor has been doing lots of (very good) interviews and we know he frequently makes use of social media so I’m sure we’ll hear his side of it, hopefully there’s more to it than he isn’t going to play for Charlton whilst he’s under contract with us because he’s looking forward to playing for someone else in the future. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Lyle is one of them and that’s tough for us and for me as the manager. He’s a big player for us. Lyle has said that he’s not going to play because of risk of injury. Chris Solly has said the same.

Solly is doing the same thing as Taylor. Sitting out for a contract at a new team. 
    Yeaa because Solly is moving to a team better

If anything this is almost confirmation that he wont be offered a new deal with us

Unlike Taylor; Solly has a young family to think about
  • Options

If anything this is almost confirmation that he wont be offered a new deal with us

If that’s the reason for Solly then that’s fine . That’s not the reason Taylor is refusing to play though . 
  • Options

Who would give Solly a contract, even if he could pass a medical? Given that money is going to be very limited for most clubs that might usually be interested I’m not sure I would be spending it on a player with a questionable medical history that has struggled to get into a poor Charlton squad, relegated down the pecking order by teenagers in some cases. 

He’s been a brilliant servant for the club, but this would be a bad way to go out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020

If that’s the reason for Solly then that’s fine . That’s not the reason Taylor is refusing to play though . 
    Agreed, which is why I think its extremely unfair to be talking about Solly in the same breath as Taylor

People talk about there being no loyalty in Football yet Solly has given us that and is still being berated at the end of it because it looks like he's not leaving the club when it suits us

And then we have the cheek to abuse Karlan Grant
  • Options

Agreed, which is why I think its extremely unfair to be talking about Solly in the same breath as Taylor

People talk about there being no loyalty in Football yet Solly has given us that and is still being berated at the end of it because it looks like he's not leaving the club when it suits us

Would Solly have given the same level of loyalty to the club if he had been less injury prone/injury limited?  I doubt it. 
  • Options

Would Solly have given the same level of loyalty to the club if he had been less injury prone/injury limited?  I doubt it. 
    Maybe, maybe not - Regardless though he has given us that loyalty and has played plenty of games to confirm that
  • Options

I wonder if we have used his lack of options as leverage during salary negotiations in the past?
  • Options
    Taylor in his own words a week ago said the only people who would suffer would be the supporters.
    Our best player refuses to play and we are unable to replace him. Cheers Lyle, nice knowing you.....
  • Options
    Disappointed in Solly and Taylor if this is true.

If this had been a normal season and Taylor downed tools for the last 2 games of the season (Wigan and Leeds) because he didn't want to get injured and jeopardise his next contract elsewhere , he would rightly be massively criticised

And Solly is the club captain. 
  • Options
    Davis was a waste of space and Solly would only ever have been a bit part player for us - he's only made  appearances for us and his knees aren't going to get better.

Even if Taylor played, with that move at the back of his mind, would he really be putting himself about? We can't replace him with one individual but better to have 11 players giving 100% for the common cause than one undermining the team ethic.

And I don't blame Taylor for this situation either. He is just being honest and he knows the reality of him playing under these circumstances. Yes he is contracted to 30th June but there wasn't any clause in his contract that permitted him to be the scapegoat that Mouthall made him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My only question is can they refuse to play in June as they are still under contract?
    Player power is everything.

He can refuse to play and i'd assume we'll fine him wages for the weeks we have games he refuses to play in (if we don't fine him then we're complete morons).

Even if he now turned round and said 'ok i'll play' would Bowyer then want to risk playing him knowing he wouldn't exactly be putting much effort in?
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Leuth said:
    Hemed can make himself into a hero here. C'mon Tomer, your time now. Believe you still have it
    If his lockdown has been anything like mine he’ll be 40 stone and take to the pitch on a mobility scooter. 
    I take it you haven’t seen his Instagram then. The bloke is in great shape.
  • Options
    I've loved having Lyle as part of The side past 2 years but I understand his predicament. Dissapointing but like the honesty that he won't be trying his hardest. Cheers for everthing but let's concentrate on what we have.

HONESTLY I'd rather it was Taylor,  Solly, Davis that Pratley, Nabby, Lockyer that was mentioned last week. 

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Leuth said:
    Hemed can make himself into a hero here. C'mon Tomer, your time now. Believe you still have it
    Man, that would make his whole transfer shenanigans worth it, Tomer comes in bags 25 goals in 9 games and is awarded with a fools gold plated statue. 

Hemed and Bonne could work as a pairing as could Davison and Bonne or Aneke and Bonne or Davison and Hemed

But for the sake of our hopes not Aneke and Hemed.
  • Options
    It would have been more understandable if Hemed had refused to play, as he's leaving a country with a low death rate and returning to on with a high death rate. Plus all the quarantine hassle he'll no doubt get before and afterwards
  • Options
    Very very disappointed in Solly and Taylor, one is a captain and a Charlton man through and through and the other is our best player and hero, he got himself injured at the start of the season, but he was willing to play then, now just because he's getting a "dream move" (probably to someone no bigger than Brentford or Fulham) and he doesn't fancy it? Gone right down in my estimations, not playing because you have a pregnant girlfriend/history of health problems is one thing, not playing in case you balls up a big money move to a different team is quite another
  • Options
    I can understand it to an extent, TBH with regards Solly he's not been near the bench for a while has he so he was unlikely to be in or around the squad on a match day with everyone fighting fit.

Taylors a difficult one. He knows he is about to embark on a life changing contract, get crocked in the next few games and thats over. But I don't think had Corona not stopped the season he would have refused to play, so in my view he should play on.