Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Just took son for his daily mile run over local park. Some bloke had lifted his kid over the locked gate to the playground so he could go on the climbing frames and slides. We had words.

I really do despair at times.
    Yep - I have had a few ‘incidents’ where words have been exchanged - there are some really ignorant people around 
  • Options
    Just took son for his daily mile run over local park. Some bloke had lifted his kid over the locked gate to the playground so he could go on the climbing frames and slides. We had words.

More like your son lifted you over.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    bobmunro said:
    All governments (so this is not party political) use leaks and rumour to test public opinion. Perhaps an example of this was the rumour that schools would re-open in May - the general public response was negative so out comes Gove (who is chairing a cabinet committee who are looking at how best to ease the lockdown) to deny it. Expect more of the same and ultimately the lockdown will ease in direct correlation to public opinion - politicians above all else are focused on votes!
    There is a schism in government - those that are focusing on the economy (lead by Sunak) and those focusing on public health (lead by Hancock).
    Teacher I know from a local borough said last week they were being prepared for a return to school by mid-May. Can’t see it In anyway myself but that’s what he was told last week. 
    My mum's a teacher and she's been told it's unlikely to be back til September. Private school in Surrey. 
    That’s just the normal private school summer holidays!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    The lockdown should have been a lot more severe, no going outside whatsoever apart from shopping for food and going to essential jobs. Anyone found outside without written consent is ordered to go home and fined. No exercise, no dog walking, no going for a bike ride with your snotty nosed kids, nothing. Would be a lot less contact and a lot less cases and deaths long term, but we were too wishy washy with it and this can be seen if you do venture out to any parks. Hilly Fields, Ladywell Park and Greenwich Park are all (just about) walking distance from me and the amount of people out and about flouting the rules is astonishing.

I've seen 20 people picnics, personal trainers running gym classes of a dozen or so people, people playing football, dog walkers with 5-6 dogs that aren't theirs (so they are traveling to multiple households to pick up and drop off dogs) it's insane
    To play devil's advocate you can see in the stats such as hospitalisation rate, and the percentage of confirmed positive cases that just like in our European neighbours, we are 'flatterning the curve' in the same time period as them. 

I mentioned in the Covid-19 thread, that I believe our 'lockdown light' is probably one of the things the government may have got correct. I expect it will be difficult to quantify, but giving people the opportunity to go out and exercise when they want, may have had more of a positive then negative effect.

On the whole it would appear the British public have stuck to the rules. Of course there are always idiots that will not pay attention to this, but that has happened in places with more stringent lockdown measures as well. 
    Nobody knows what the correct level of lockdown should be, as it'll take a long time before we are able to properly assess the data, which may include second (and third) wave attacks, the impact on general health, the impact to the economy etc

Sweden will be an interesting country to watch, especially as you'd assume that they and the other Nordic countries, while not the same, are similar enough to make direct comparisons. One thing that surprises me is that Sweden has fewer ICU beds per head than the UK

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-why-the-nordics-are-our-best-bet-for-comparing-strategies-135344
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    All governments (so this is not party political) use leaks and rumour to test public opinion. Perhaps an example of this was the rumour that schools would re-open in May - the general public response was negative so out comes Gove (who is chairing a cabinet committee who are looking at how best to ease the lockdown) to deny it. Expect more of the same and ultimately the lockdown will ease in direct correlation to public opinion - politicians above all else are focused on votes!
    There is a schism in government - those that are focusing on the economy (lead by Sunak) and those focusing on public health (lead by Hancock).
    Teacher I know from a local borough said last week they were being prepared for a return to school by mid-May. Can’t see it In anyway myself but that’s what he was told last week. 
    'Preparing for' is rather different from 'will be delivering' tho isn't it?

Imagine the hectoring BS the education staff would be subjected to if they got little or no notice that schools were to return to normal in a day or so - cos that's the alternative to not preparing for one possible eventuality.

this whole issue is relentlessly hijacked by one-eyed self-agrandising arseholes [not you afka] whose sole means of self-justification is to prattle empty bullshit on one self-contained binary subject at a time - departure from simplistic unrealistic narratives is shouted down by these arseholes presumably cos their own minuscule intellect can only hold one idea at a time and their snowflake ego can't withstand any challenge at all.  It's as tiresome as it is fatuous.
    Anything that deflects the population from minimising the possibilities of transmission of this virulent, incurable infection is criminal stupidity of the lowest order.  Until we can be delivered significant proven levels of immunity or there is a widely available, affordable drug remedy, prevention of transmission is our only defense against unfettered epidemic.
    Adults will make their own minds up as to the risks to which they expose themselves - sadly a big fat majority of those adults can't be trusted not to expose the rest of us to the contagion of their stupidity.  Doubly sadly this infection doesn't discern between the helplessly stupid and the poor saps they contact.

• Options
    We really are not set up to cope with this lockdown.

I guess people have had enough. Know there is some sort of risk but are happy to roll with.
    The consequences could be catastrophic.
    Suppose we'll see in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    bobmunro said:
    My mum's a teacher and she's been told it's unlikely to be back til September. Private school in Surrey. 
    Will send the riff raff back first so parents can go and get sick while saving the economy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just did a 3 mile round trip to pick up some letters from my mum. People everywhere and some ignorant families and friends not social distancing. Disappointing. 

Today was an exception for me as I am usually out early and back in by 8am at the latest. Reckon people are out multiple times a day. Mostly dog walkers. 
  • Options

Ignorance is a terrible thing.

• Options
    One of my sons has just been 'recalled to be on site', he is a supervisor on the Crossrail project for Monday, had a feeling this was going to happen, he drives in so at least no underground.  
  • Options
    They have been revising their assessments over the past couple of weeks.
    Wont be a full on site just yet.
  • Options
    Im working over in Putney atm and the traffic/people numbers has increased quite  dramatically this week. The traffic coming home tonight was i would say,near normal for the route 😔
  • Options
    We've had an ongoing issue with our boiler for the majority of the time in lockdown. We've looked at youtube tutorials, manuals, our plumber has tried to talk us through stuff over the phone, but essentially it needs an expert in order for us to have hot water for a shower longer than 20 seconds and I couldn't possibly wear any more clothes to work in as i'm so cold (the room I'm set up to work is at the back of house and gets no sun so very cool).   So tomorrow our plumber is coming round to fix it. I'm not happy about it, but I'm can't carry on in a freezing house.  I am convinced he will be wearing gloves (if he isn't i'll insist he does) and won't touch anything he shouldn't, and we will clean the whole place top to toe when he goes as well as steering very clear when he's in the house and he's not getting a cup of tea.  I feel like i'm failing lockdown. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've had an ongoing issue with our boiler for the majority of the time in lockdown. We've looked at youtube tutorials, manuals, our plumber has tried to talk us through stuff over the phone, but essentially it needs an expert in order for us to have hot water for a shower longer than 20 seconds and I couldn't possibly wear any more clothes to work in as i'm so cold (the room I'm set up to work is at the back of house and gets no sun so very cool).   So tomorrow our plumber is coming round to fix it. I'm not happy about it, but I'm can't carry on in a freezing house.  I am convinced he will be wearing gloves (if he isn't i'll insist he does) and won't touch anything he shouldn't, and we will clean the whole place top to toe when he goes as well as steering very clear when he's in the house and he's not getting a cup of tea.  I feel like i'm failing lockdown. 
    Getting a plumber in is reasonable in that scenario, you shouldn’t be feeling bad.

i know 2 people that are having extensions staring on their houses next week. I don’t see how that is in the spirit of the lockdown
  • Options
    Been there done it.......I feel very strongly that the shut down should be a lot more stringent......it seems very half hearted, still trying to fathom out why the transmission rates are so high?
    One other thing that has been drawn to my attention Is that 15,000 people are entering the UK every day.
    ”Supposedly” they have all been tested at point of departure WTF!!!!
    We have these people, whether they are British citizens or otherwise, standing right there in front of our eyes...TEST THEM ON ARRIVAL FFS, what are we thinking of.

Hope you are feeling better now mate.
  • Options
    Been there done it.......I feel very strongly that the shut down should be a lot more stringent......it seems very half hearted, still trying to fathom out why the transmission rates are so high?
    One other thing that has been drawn to my attention Is that 15,000 people are entering the UK every day.
    ”Supposedly” they have all been tested at point of departure WTF!!!!
    We have these people, whether they are British citizens or otherwise, standing right there in front of our eyes...TEST THEM ON ARRIVAL FFS, what are we thinking of.
    The way it’s been explained to me is that incubation period is 5-14 days, so if people are tested on departure, that’s considered sufficient because it’s extremely unlikely that it would come out during a 12 hour flight. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Don’t feel bad at all.
    I had to go next door and sort out the old girls electric.
    Told her to stay in the garden, wore gloves and mask and escaped with all her personal possessions.
    Joke.
    Fixed the problem, and all good.
    Just insist on gloves and a mask. 
    Also, no harm in a cup of tea in a disposable cup you tight cow :-)
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Over Danson Pk and you will get two people/groups that know each other stand either side of a 2m pathway.
    Walked along the pathway and asked “you really haven’t given this much thought have you”?
    These ain’t chavs either, but people with no fucking common.
    That happens everywhere, people talking either side of a pathway oblivious to the fact that people will be walking through the middle of them
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The sunny weather this last month hasn't exactly helped. It pissed down for 5 months when things were normal, then went bright and sunny as soon as lockdown started...
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    They have been revising their assessments over the past couple of weeks.
    Wont be a full on site just yet.
    You are right he and 1 other  plumber 'local' as well as 4 sparks,on Crossrail, has to do a 'pressure test' most of his site will not be back quite yet, but  Balfour were reluctant to close the site in the first place, I guess this is being done as 'safety'. 
  • Options
    We really are not set up to cope with this lockdown.

I guess people have had enough. Know there is some sort of risk but are happy to roll with.
    The consequences could be catastrophic.
    Suppose we'll see in a few weeks.
    Totally agree. I'm preparing for the second wave as soon as the trains and tubes and buses becoming packed again.
  • Options
    Not sure if it’s a sign of the easing of the lockdown around my way but I had to go for a few things today and went to Lidl. Was quite surprised that there was no one on the door monitoring how many customers were going in and once inside it was like any pre-lockdown day with a number of others in store making no attempt to maintain social distance. It wasn’t an enjoyable experience and in future I think I’ll be going to Morrison’s because they are attempting to make shopping for essentials as safe as they can for both customers or staff.

Outside of the supermarket though my town seems to be adhering pretty well and the streets and roads are a lot quieter than in normal times though I heard today a number of residents from one estate had received letters advising them to comply with what has been requested or face hefty fines. Seems it’s been business as usual for a lot of them but knowing that estate well it doesn’t surprise me at all.