Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• This is interesting. My daughter's teacher said much the same thing about the town centre here in La Roche sur Yon. I've always thought that it's unrealistic to expect people to stay home for so long without maintaining a high police presence.

In a couple of weeks we will be officially easing the lockdown: on May 11th some pupils will be going back to school.

If we come out of lockdown then have to go back into it during a hot summer I wouldn't be surprised if people start to revolt. 
  • Here in Dubai we're into the 4th week of a full lockdown. Can only go out if you have a permit (you have to apply online) and at the start of this week they announced the rules were changing and you're now allowed one permit application per 72 hours. You can only go out to the supermarket or pharmacy, a medical appointment or if you work in key/vital sector. Police are everywhere stop checking people and if you're out without a permit you get a hefty fine.

Emirates have also just announced this morning no commercial flights until at least 1 July.
  • Here in Dubai we're into the 4th week of a full lockdown. Can only go out if you have a permit (you have to apply online) and at the start of this week they announced the rules were changing and you're now allowed one permit application per 72 hours. You can only go out to the supermarket or pharmacy, a medical appointment or if you work in key/vital sector. Police are everywhere stop checking people and if you're out without a permit you get a hefty fine.

Emirates have also just announced this morning no commercial flights until at least 1 July.
    Do you have a big place there? Just you or family too?  It’s calculating the amount of booze to get in with just one permit which would worry me! Don’t you have to have a licence even to buy booze?? 

I would definitely struggle with full lockdown. Can cope with this just about... but I don’t half miss going to the pub with me mates. 

Like you @robinofottershaw I often find myself on the road to get out of the way of someone coming towards me. Some people don’t really care. 

• People are starting to revert to type. I’ve been a fervent supporter of lockdown and abiding by the rules on here but I ventured out yesterday. Couldn’t get any bananas in the Ocado delivery on Monday. The first thing my little boys says when he wakes up is “nana dad” 😂 there’s a Tesco express at the top of the road so I chanced it. Wore gloves and face mask and there was no fucker there. Wife didn’t talk to me for the rest of the day tho 😂

Really think it’s down to a lack of leadership at the moment. No one cares what Hancock et al tell us. I know most people of here think Boris is a twat but It’s quite clear that the majority of the nation take notice of what he says, me included. 

Need the top man back to kick us all back into shape and get us through this.
  • There were definitely more people out today doing my weekly shopping, both pedestrians and cars. The roadworks were also back on. I've also had my  first two work contacts for six weeks. People's attitudes are definitely shifting partly because schools partially start going back on the 11th May and so I think this has changed the mindset.
    Meanwhile my wife was treating some COVID19 'suspects' today again.
  • Noticing a lot more people out as well, in fact a huge amount more people. 

I think a lot of people have done a mental calculation of 6-12 months in isolation/socially distancing vs a very, very small chance of being seriously ill (if they even get the disease) and decided to take their chances. 

We have a limited amount of years on this Earth, some have decided not to spent a good chunk of their time at home. 

Not saying it's right, just saying. 

The main thing I've noticed is that people are a lot more half hearted with their social distancing in public.
  • Curb_It said:
    Here in Dubai we're into the 4th week of a full lockdown. Can only go out if you have a permit (you have to apply online) and at the start of this week they announced the rules were changing and you're now allowed one permit application per 72 hours. You can only go out to the supermarket or pharmacy, a medical appointment or if you work in key/vital sector. Police are everywhere stop checking people and if you're out without a permit you get a hefty fine.

Do you have a big place there? Just you or family too?  It’s calculating the amount of booze to get in with just one permit which would worry me! Don’t you have to have a licence even to buy booze?? 

I would definitely struggle with full lockdown. Can cope with this just about... but I don’t half miss going to the pub with me mates. 

Like you @robinofottershaw I often find myself on the road to get out of the way of someone coming towards me. Some people don’t really care. 

Live with my fiance in a 2 bed apartment so the space isn't an issue. No garden is annoying though.

You can get alcohol delivered so that's not an issue, the places that require an alcohol license deliver quicker, the places that don't ask for a license are more expensive and take longer (i assume because most people probably don't have the license and order numbers have gone through the roof)
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:
    Noticing a lot more people out as well, in fact a huge amount more people. 

I think a lot of people have done a mental calculation of 6-12 months in isolation/socially distancing vs a very, very small chance of being seriously ill (if they even get the disease) and decided to take their chances. 

We have a limited amount of years on this Earth, some have decided not to spent a good chunk of their time at home. 

Not saying it's right, just saying. 

The main thing I've noticed is that people are a lot more half hearted with their social distancing in public.
    One hundred percent agree. Had almost 5 weeks of lockdown and people realised this will be lasting for another year or two. Chris Witty said social distancing will last until the end of the year. 

A lot of people are trying to get their life back to normal and are happy to take the risk of getting this illness.

• Definitely noticed it in this last week. Two big groups of teenagers wondering the this evening - first time I’ve noticed that.

We’re still only leaving the house once a day for a walk (early or late) and with my wife being pregnant we will be sticking to that as long as possible.

Surely if it’s that important to the government there should be tv / social media interruptions every day, several times reiterating the instruction and saying fines will rise to £x for any group gathering. They’re not which says it all.
  • As long as the majority of us abide by it it will have a material positive impact.

• Definitely noticed it in this last week. Two big groups of teenagers wondering the this evening - first time I’ve noticed that.

We’re still only leaving the house once a day for a walk (early or late) and with my wife being pregnant we will be sticking to that as long as possible.

Surely if it’s that important to the government there should be tv / social media interruptions every day, several times reiterating the instruction and saying fines will rise to £x for any group gathering. They’re not which says it all.
    People don't need telling any more, apart from politicians and scientists, every celebrity under the sun, from actors to footballers, from comedians to musicians have been repeating the message

The only thing which will enforce this properly is if there are more police out there actually charging people. I walked over Hampstead Heath this afternoon, and there were loads of people sunbathing or just sitting in the sun. They weren't causing any problems, as there was plenty of space for everyone, but if you're going to have rules, it's pointless having them unless they're enforced.
  • edited April 2020
    In some respects I agree but unless you watch the daily briefings or the news, which I’m sure many many do not, is the message really being emphasised enough still? The extension to the lockdown has felt half-hearted and woolly from the word go. And no one is really going to give a monkeys what celebs/footballer etc are telling you, are they?

But you’re right about enforcement, pretty pointless without it.
  • edited April 2020
    It surely all boils down to the numbers. Especially those entering hospitals.

Yes they're a lot busier than normal,.but as far as I'm aware haven't been over run. And that's driving the government's tone,which has definitely lowered in the last week or so.

It's a slow drive to herd immunity. Get as many people back to work but ban all large social gatherings. All work. No play.
    Yes they'll be some collateral damage, but this thing ain't going away.

I'm lucky. I can work in pretty much isolation. Get the shopping delivered and don't mind going out for my bit of excercise at times when hardly anyone's about. So steering clear of it is pretty easy.

Many are not as fortunate, and their odds are very much reduced.
  • There were definitely more people out today doing my weekly shopping, both pedestrians and cars. The roadworks were also back on. I've also had my  first two work contacts for six weeks. People's attitudes are definitely shifting partly because schools partially start going back on the 11th May and so I think this has changed the mindset.
    Jimmy, no way will schools be back on the 11th May, even partly. The talking of social distancing in schools I find ridiculous and I think the government know this too. There’s a long road ahead with this and I think people are going to have to come to terms with that. I fear if we don’t we will indeed be back to square one. 

I might be wrong but I think schools will be shut until September as the government scramble to find a vaccine or at least a more successful treatment. If they open any earlier then I think the suggestion about herd immunity being the plan could be true but this could see hundreds of thousands dead by the end. 
  • Being a glass half empty person.
    Im probably doing what i will be doing for the rest of the year.
    When they ease this lockdown it will be basically be for people to go back tk work those that can.
    Some might but if they were to announce  you can see family and friends will be rushing round there giving everyone hugs ,kisses and handshakes.
    Tbh ive never understood some of the lockdown rules.
    I can go to the supermarket once ,well twice a week if getting shopping for others but cant meet up with one family or friend member for a walk keeping 2 metres apart.
    For me i dont need the government telling me what i can and cant do i can make them decisions for myself.

• Went for a run yesterday evening and there were definitely more people out than I had seen previously, more traffic and saw more restaurants (offering take away) and takeaways open than I’ve seen since lockdown began. 

I couldn’t see many necessarily flouting the rules, but I guess more relaxing their adherence to the rules than previous. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The governments can’t save every business approach is pushing people out. I’ve seen a window cleaner working on my development, the grounds maintenance guys out working. Some people are entering week 6 without pay and are venturing out to try and earn.

if the government paid each adult a monthly salary to stay at home, would people?

i spoke to my dad yesterday who is mid 70’s. I was worried that he wouldn’t stay at home but he has been. His view is now changing, his words were “I’m in the final years of my life, I’m not going to spend it as a prisoner in my own home”. I think that’s a view echoed by many.

the government need to do something, whether it be being firm and having a day or two of police out issuing fines on mass, or telling people to go out wearing masks. Yet again, I feel they are adopting the do nothing approach
  • mart77 said:
    There were definitely more people out today doing my weekly shopping, both pedestrians and cars. The roadworks were also back on. I've also had my  first two work contacts for six weeks. People's attitudes are definitely shifting partly because schools partially start going back on the 11th May and so I think this has changed the mindset.
    Jimmy, no way will schools be back on the 11th May, even partly. The talking of social distancing in schools I find ridiculous and I think the government know this too. There’s a long road ahead with this and I think people are going to have to come to terms with that. I fear if we don’t we will indeed be back to square one. 

I might be wrong but I think schools will be shut until September as the government scramble to find a vaccine or at least a more successful treatment. If they open any earlier then I think the suggestion about herd immunity being the plan could be true but this could see hundreds of thousands dead by the end. 
    I’ve been looking back through the data from the 2008 recession and the impact of what happened afterwards. Apparently 500k extra deaths from cancer related illness due to poverty and 10k deaths from suicide in UK.

The really sad is I think whatever government decides to do a lot of people will die, whether in the short term (2/3 months) or in the longer term 2/3 years due to the economical impact.
  • The governments can’t save every business approach is pushing people out. I’ve seen a window cleaner working on my development, the grounds maintenance guys out working. Some people are entering week 6 without pay and are venturing out to try and earn.

if the government paid each adult a monthly salary to stay at home, would people?

i spoke to my dad yesterday who is mid 70’s. I was worried that he wouldn’t stay at home but he has been. His view is now changing, his words were “I’m in the final years of my life, I’m not going to spend it as a prisoner in my own home”. I think that’s a view echoed by many.

the government need to do something, whether it be being firm and having a day or two of police out issuing fines on mass, or telling people to go out wearing masks. Yet again, I feel they are adopting the do nothing approach
    I think (and was saying before the furlough scheme) the government should have given (number can be debated) £1.5k to every National insurance number in the UK per month. 

IF you are working, you earn everything above £1.5k.  

That way there is no excuse for going out. 
  • Huskaris said:
    The governments can’t save every business approach is pushing people out. I’ve seen a window cleaner working on my development, the grounds maintenance guys out working. Some people are entering week 6 without pay and are venturing out to try and earn.

I think (and was saying before the furlough scheme) the government should have given (number can be debated) £1.5k to every National insurance number in the UK per month. 

IF you are working, you earn everything above £1.5k.  

That way there is no excuse for going out. 
    That’s what I was getting at but you said it better than me
  • I’m a surveyor and can do some outside work in Southwark. 6 weeks ago I decided it was too risky, I’m now thinking that come mid may, I will have no choice but to do it. I’m assuming many are in the same boat
  • In parts of the UAE you get shopping vouchers that allow you to go to the shops 3 times per week.
    Caught outside that and the punishment is pretty severe according to a contact of mine who worked for Emirates airline.
    Wilko is open and has been all of the time.
    they do the best dog poo bags (get a good handful without getting shitty fingers lol) Essential, but people are queuing for non essential items. Coming out with just a bag of compost and bird seed! 

It is noticeable btw the increase of dog poo that’s not picked up at the moment.
    bloody disgusting 
  • We've never had a proper lockdown in this country. 

Where I live I've never seen so many out walking, running and cycling (many on the footpath). It's a main road and during the day there are just as many vehicles on the road as normal, though it is quieter at night. 

Both my husband and I are at higher risk of complications if we caught the virus, but are not officially at risk, so I worry about a loosening of the restrictions. I fear that there will be a second spike if people start to take more risks. 

• sam3110 said:
    The lockdown should have been a lot more severe, no going outside whatsoever apart from shopping for food and going to essential jobs. Anyone found outside without written consent is ordered to go home and fined. No exercise, no dog walking, no going for a bike ride with your snotty nosed kids, nothing. Would be a lot less contact and a lot less cases and deaths long term, but we were too wishy washy with it and this can be seen if you do venture out to any parks. Hilly Fields, Ladywell Park and Greenwich Park are all (just about) walking distance from me and the amount of people out and about flouting the rules is astonishing.

I've seen 20 people picnics, personal trainers running gym classes of a dozen or so people, people playing football, dog walkers with 5-6 dogs that aren't theirs (so they are traveling to multiple households to pick up and drop off dogs) it's insane

Amazing how we all see different things.

Superb adherents to social distancing where I live.  On the 4 days a week when I venture out, for exercise for body and mental health, I haven't seen groups of youngsters or groups of anybody congregating together. A common sense approach appears to be working. Having 4 different open areas, woods, downs, park and the local pond within a short walking distance helps and I will, and do, Zig zag across the road, if necessary or walk off  pavement till I get there. 

I accept that I will probably be run over by the boy racer type ( 17-75 where I live) but as long as my family and friends know I was doing it for social distancing reasons and hopefully, I will have clean underwear on, then I can depart with my head held high; metaphorically speaking.