Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Been out and about this last week for work purposes and there's definitely more traffic about, which may be connected with the Easter half term finishing. Also, this time last week and the few weeks before the beaches were virtually empty. Today and yesterday lots more people just sat on it, playing bat and ball, building sandcastles, etc.

I reckon the government need to get on top of this double quick or it'll completely break down. 
  • Options
    Geezer sat 2mtr away on my bus, coughing and spluttering, not even covering his trap!  I got up and sat at the front of the bus.

This after coming out of Morrisons where social distancing was blatantly ignored, this has not been helped with the amount of people being allowed in.  It was not much different to a normal Sunday.
  • Options
    Been out and about this last week for work purposes and there's definitely more traffic about, which may be connected with the Easter half term finishing. Also, this time last week and the few weeks before the beaches were virtually empty. Today and yesterday lots more people just sat on it, playing bat and ball, building sandcastles, etc.

I reckon the government need to get on top of this double quick or it'll completely break down. 
    And this is the thing.
    How will we come out of lockdown?
    Not much will be able to open, ie pubs , bars , restaurants , cinema and other things.
    So when we partially open people will flock to open spaces like the beach because there's f@ck all else to do.
    Will be tens of thousands of people descending on our beaches, can the government say you have to be 30 miles from a beach to go there.
    I can't see a way out and I think the government are finding it hard.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

And this is the thing.
    Not much will be able to open, ie pubs , bars , restaurants , cinema and other things.
    So when we partially open people will flock to open spaces like the beach because there's f@ck all else to do.
    Will be tens of thousands of people descending on our beaches, can the government say you have to be 30 miles from a beach to go there.
    On the spot fines for people not adhering to Government requests.  That'll make the idiots think for once.
  • Options

I honestly think the government are “fine” with the rule breaking as it’ll create the herd immunity factor but at a scale where hospitals can cope.

It’s almost certain to cost more lives in the long run but that’s “ok” to prevent complete paralysis.

And I think I’m good with that which goes a bit against my normal view of things which is strange. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

And this is the thing.
    On the spot fines for people not adhering to Government requests.  That'll make the idiots think for once.
    Elfs I'm saying how are we going to open the lockdown up?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

And this is the thing.
    A bit like my spending habits, little by little.

Limited people allowed in shops, restaurants, cinemas etc.  Security employed to ensure distancing.

As for public transport, f*** knows.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

And this is the thing.
    A bit like my spending habits, little by little.

Limited people allowed in shops, restaurants, cinemas etc.  Security employed to ensure distancing.

As for public transport, f*** knows.
    That's the one for me. I guess the majority of people will continue to work from home, and those who can't, maybe businesses will be more flexible in there working times to try and avoid 'rush hours' - can't see it working myself. 

Maybe masks are the miracle protective equipment everyone is banging on about and we will all be fine? 
  • Options
    I am going to ease my neighbours power tool up his arse if he doesn’t stop it soon.
    They love it don't they?

Bit of sunshine and we have a 'look at me let's see who can make the most noise competition!' I've listened to a patio washer, a lawnmower and a strimmer most of today and now the other side are starting up. That's before you think about the cars and motor bikes without silencers on their exhausts.

When I was young you'd run the risk of getting nicked if you didn't have a silencer on the exhaust. Now it's de rigeur!
  • Options
    Just back from a walk with Little Miss Idle along the towpath across from Shiplake. Two paddle boarders on the river and that was it - would normally be full of craft on a day like this, so pretty impressive. I think even they were just paddling out of their posh riverside gardens.

That said, when you see how some selfish arseholes behave, it's enough to make you search for crossbows and tear gas grenades on ebay.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think I’ve  seen a policeman since the lockdown. South East London as far as I can see is traffic almost as normal. 
    Bromley has been and still is generally very quiet. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I don’t think I’ve  seen a policeman since the lockdown. South East London as far as I can see is traffic almost as normal. 
    Can say the same for Eltham. Live on Rochester Way and can actually have the windows open at night it's been that quiet. 

Lockdown is just like a football crowd. There's definitely some idiots amongst the crowd, but they are only a small minority and in fact most people are doing things properly. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Where I am in Peckham Rye there has been a noticeable increase in cars on the road and foot and bicycle traffic in the last 7 days. the pavement nearly as buisy as before lock down. Also people seem to be less strict on social distancing, going around in small groups more. I policeman freind of mine thinks that south London is less strict on following the lock down rules than the boroughs north of the river.Looking out of my window now I feel he could be correct, one group who have ignored the lock down from the start are the extra strong larger and cider drinks that frequent many park benches even before lock down. there is a group of 4-5 that congrgate on the green opposite every morning they even share cans. 
    What, the local alcoholics aren't social distancing, I can't believe it.
  • Options
    Drove passed the Tesco express by Plaistow green roundabout and very quiet going and coming back. A few walkers and a few cars but that was it. I’ve felt the residents of BR1 & BR7 have taken this seriously. 
  • Options
    Im living in the wrong part of Bromley then.
  • Options
    clive said:
    clb74 said:
    Your neighbours probably feel the same way.
     :D 
    F***** him there mate.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    But you live across the road from possibly the biggest supermarket in Bromley.
    Supermarkets are about the only place people can and need to go in significant numbers.
    It's no surprise that the traffic is higher in Homesdale Road, than the centre of Bromley, where nearly all the shops, restaurants, gyms etc are closed.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I honestly think the government are “fine” with the rule breaking as it’ll create the herd immunity factor but at a scale where hospitals can cope.

It’s almost certain to cost more lives in the long run but that’s “ok” to prevent complete paralysis.

And I think I’m good with that which goes a bit against my normal view of things which is strange. 
    I’m not sure it will create more deaths in the long term.

There seem to be four options:

A) whole world goes into full lockdown for 6 weeks and the virus and disease die off and we all go back to full normal (seems unlikely this could be achieved)

B ) countries choose to keep lockdown in some form with, in the end herd immunity across the globe. Could take years depending on how locked down people are.  Nearly everyone will contract the virus and around 1% or more of the world population will die. (Lots of people will die from non-COVID-19 illness as well as from COVID-19)

C) countries keep lock down sufficient to keep health services operational, manage the health services and hope to god a vaccine or a killer treatment emerge that allows quicker litigating of the lockdowns (basically most country’s strategy. Do not overwhelm the health services but gradually increase immunity at the same time)

D) lift all restrictions early and let a whole load  more people die than is necessary if the health service can’t manage case load (see Sweden)

one thing is for sure will be with us for a year or two given that A) doesn’t seem feasible. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Supermarkets are about the only place people can and need to go in significant numbers.
    It's no surprise that the traffic is higher in Homesdale Road, than the centre of Bromley, where nearly all the shops, restaurants, gyms etc are closed.

It'll be even busier when the Lord Homesdale reopens.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

One of the few pubs I haven’t been to in my 6 years as a bromley resident. Always thought it looked shit, worth a visit?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I am going to ease my neighbours power tool up his arse if he doesn’t stop it soon.
    They love it don't they?

Bit of sunshine and we have a 'look at me let's see who can make the most noise competition!' I've listened to a patio washer, a lawnmower and a strimmer most of today and now the other side are starting up. That's before you think about the cars and motor bikes without silencers on their exhausts.

When I was young you'd run the risk of getting nicked if you didn't have a silencer on the exhaust. Now it's de rigeur!
    The most cringe worthy thing I saw (and heard today) was a bloke in his 50s (I'm guessing) in an top down Saab Convertible blasting out Whitney Houston (the MOR period) at some ridiculous volume...
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    There’s been no noticeable increase in people or traffic where I am in Somerset. That said, about 40 people held a demo in Glastonbury yesterday (including Piers Corbyn) apparently against the lockdown. 
    I just don't get some people. Do they think the Government are just putting these measures in place for a laugh.

Piers Corbyn is that Piers Morgan and Jeremy Corbyns love child?
    I think some people just have to protest about anything. They would probably have protested if no lockdown had been implemented. Imagine Christmas in the Corbyn household, when they were kids ? The tantrums ! 
    Always had this theory that people like this are just rent a mob/professional protesters, if  god forbid the conservative government or trump came up with a cure for cancer they and their ilk across the pond would find something about it to protest over 
    You’re quite right. Rent a mob. Same bloody lot who won votes for women and got rid of the poll tax. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

One of the few pubs I haven’t been to in my 6 years as a bromley resident. Always thought it looked shit, worth a visit?
    Yeah, it's okay for a lager drinker 4/10.

The downside is @clb74 lives 2 minutes away and you could bump into him.

What others have you not been to? 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    LenGlover said:
    They love it don't they?

Cars and bikes without silencers are a menace. I too remember when I was young, my dad saying that if the silencer broke then it had to be fixed immediately or the police would fine you. I live on a 30 mph main road and every weekend the boy racers are out driving at stupid speeds, with their modified exhausts. They are still going out during the lockdown and I'm certain they're not shopping for essentials or taking exercise.  They also seem to have the loudest bass and think that everyone else wants to hear it. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    They love it don't they?

Cars and bikes without silencers are a menace. I too remember when I was young, my dad saying that if the silencer broke then it had to be fixed immediately or the police would fine you. I live on a 30 mph main road and every weekend the boy racers are out driving at stupid speeds, with their modified exhausts. They are still going out during the lockdown and I'm certain they're not shopping for essentials or taking exercise.  They also seem to have the loudest bass and think that everyone else wants to hear it. 
    Yep, been a fair few of those arseholes about, loud motorbikes similarly, blasting up the A4. It's a mile and a half away, but they're clearly audible. 
  • Options
    WSS said:

The WHO is saying there is no evidence that having it conveys immunity. Herd immunity comes through effective vaccination not letting people go about there normal lives and hoping for the best.

It was a very dangerous idea that they suggested and they quickly backtracked yet the idea now persists amongst the population.

We will need to adapt to a new normal as they say, whatever shape that my take, and people carrying on as they were are just putting others at an unnecessarily increased risk.
  • Options
    WSS said:

The WHO is saying there is no evidence that having it conveys immunity. Herd immunity comes through effective vaccination not letting people go about there normal lives and hoping for the best.

It was a very dangerous idea that they suggested and they quickly backtracked yet the idea now persists amongst the population.

We will need to adapt to a new normal as they say, whatever shape that my take, and people carrying on as they were are just putting others at an unnecessarily increased risk.

That research is ongoing and it is therefore correct to say that there is currently no evidence that having it conveys immunity. That doesn't mean it doesn't convey some sort of immunity, just that there is currently no evidence.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Dont bother stop shouting, even if it does reopen youd still think the lockdown was on.