Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Being classified as a key worker (Shift working) driving into London this morning I was shocked at the amount of cars on the road heading into London. Over the last 3 weeks I have noticed it getting worse and worse but this morning was just like a normal working day. If you are not a key/essential worker stay at home 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Being classified as a key worker (Shift working) driving into London this morning I was shocked at the amount of cars on the road heading into London. Over the last 3 weeks I have noticed it getting worse and worse but this morning was just like a normal working day. If you are not a key/essential worker stay at home 
    Again this is due to guidelines rather than rules or laws, think it was Hancock himself who said last week that they never told anybody to stop working, and you can return to work if you can keep to social distancing guidelines, it’s no wonder people and business under strain are taking him at his word 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Again this is due to guidelines rather than rules or laws, think it was Hancock himself who said last week that they never told anybody to stop working, and you can return to work if you can keep to social distancing guidelines, it’s no wonder people and business under strain are taking him at his word 
    That’s the problem, open to interpretation and no firm rules.

i can see the confusion, it’s okay to stand 2m behind someone when queuing to buy paint at a larger sit store but it’s not okay for a single person living alone in a flat to sit on their own in a green area, away from everyone else for 20 minutes. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:

i can see the confusion, it’s okay to stand 2m behind someone when queuing to buy paint at a larger sit store but it’s not okay for a single person living alone in a flat to sit on their own in a green area, away from everyone else for 20 minutes. 
    The working guidelines aren't open to interpretation. If you can't be 2 metres away from someone while you work then you shouldn't be working. The guys building a house next door to me certainly aren't doing that and it's a clear breach of the rules. 

On the park thing, agree being by yourself with no one around for some distance is fine but let's be honest we can't be trusted to do that. Look at that weekend before lockdown, even when encouraged to avoid busy places everyone flocked to the parks. If people are allowed to have a rest in parks you know they'd be taking the piss and we'd have a situation where thousands are in the parks all day long. How do they get there? Presumably they'd have to walk past many other people in the streets not keeping the recommended distance. 

These guidelines are in a place for a reason. When they don't suit people they'll look for any loophole they can to try and get round them because making a small sacrifice for a few months isn't worth it it to save thousands of lives.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:
     Yep. 601 more deaths today.

Well done on flattening the curve Hancock.

Problem is, it's going to stay flat at between 500 - 700 deaths PER DAY for weeks because of you and your governments ineffectiveness.

We are rapidly catching up with Spain and Italy and will surpass them very soon.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Wonder if this could, in part, be down to some who would normally commute by train, are feeling safer in their own cars , even though parking might be a problem ? 

From NW Kent for instance, they could drive to Lewisham , park up then take the DLR into London itself .....

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Just been out for our daily walk. Wet and miserable. Did not see one other soul.

Funnily enough those that were out in the sun a few days ago for their 3rd jog of the day
    ( because if they don't get out for excercise 3 times a day, they'll die of course) were nowhere to be seen?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:

The working guidelines aren't open to interpretation. If you can't be 2 metres away from someone while you work then you shouldn't be working. The guys building a house next door to me certainly aren't doing that and it's a clear breach of the rules. 

On the park thing, agree being by yourself with no one around for some distance is fine but let's be honest we can't be trusted to do that. Look at that weekend before lockdown, even when encouraged to avoid busy places everyone flocked to the parks. If people are allowed to have a rest in parks you know they'd be taking the piss and we'd have a situation where thousands are in the parks all day long. How do they get there? Presumably they'd have to walk past many other people in the streets not keeping the recommended distance. 

These guidelines are in a place for a reason. When they don't suit people they'll look for any loophole they can to try and get round them because making a small sacrifice for a few months isn't worth it it to save thousands of lives.
    I never mentioned work, I purely mentioned social examples. 

you’ve brushed aside the queuing to get into a diy store part. I know local facebook pages aren’t reliable sources of information  but people were queuing for two hours to get into b an q dartford on Saturday. How is that allowed. How many people needlessly stood in line increasing the risk of spreading the virus
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Did he say this ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m Turning into the miserable hater of other people I didn’t want to be.

Just took one of my boys for a 10 min jog round field, first time out since early Sunday morning. Four blokes about 20 playing football, all chatting away within 2 metres, spitting on the floor etc 

They just don’t care. 

Drives me mad 
    Thing is mate 
    Probably 95% of us have broken the lockdown rules one way or another.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Just took one of my boys for a 10 min jog round field, first time out since early Sunday morning. Four blokes about 20 playing football, all chatting away within 2 metres, spitting on the floor etc 

They just don’t care. 

Drives me mad 
    Thing is mate 

You are having a laugh. a lot of people including me have not been outside the house.
    Yes your one of the 5% then
  • Options
    clb74 said:

They just don’t care. 

Drives me mad 
    Thing is mate 
    Not really. We're allowed out for daily exercise and we're allowed out to do "essential" shopping, the majority of the people I see outside are doing that
  • Options
    clb74 said:

They just don’t care. 

Drives me mad 
    Thing is mate 
    and the great thing is, we can blame the government! Hurrah!
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2020
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Did he say this ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/coronavirus/video-2158800/Video-Matt-Hancock-Businesses-opened-never-required-close.html
  • Options
    clb74 said:

They just don’t care. 

Drives me mad 
    Thing is mate 
    I go out once a week to Asda (for me and a local older couple as I’m volunteering) and once a day for 5 minutes to start my car to make sure the battery stays charged, maybe once a fortnight so far I’ve gone for a 20 minute walk, all the time respecting social distancing, I think the vast majority are respecting the guidelines, however when outside my flat 2 days ago coming back from my car, a couple asked me where a certain flat was whilst carrying carrier bags full of lager, don’t think the guidelines were bothering them 😡
  • Options
    Just over 26,000 have died in the UK basically a sell out Valley. Scary
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    DA9 said:
    magic1999 said:

I never mentioned work, I purely mentioned social examples. 

you’ve brushed aside the queuing to get into a diy store part. I know local facebook pages aren’t reliable sources of information  but people were queuing for two hours to get into b an q dartford on Saturday. How is that allowed. How many people needlessly stood in line increasing the risk of spreading the virus
    I agree they shouldn't be open, anything that isn't essential to life should not be open. 

bobmunro said:

Yes it is scary, but it helps to get some perspective - not to diminish the tragic loss but to avoid being overwhelmed by fear.
    If a full Valley represented the UK population then around 10 people in the crowd have sadly died.
    Some perspective is also that that figure quoted is way below the true figure. We're most likely double that number and it's not even 2 months in. Let's not downplay this for a second as that's when people become complacent about the rules in place designed to protect the most vulnerable. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    A terrible figure, but 165000 die of cancer in the UK EVERY YEAR, 35000 of lung cancer alone 

And 28330 died of flu in 2014/15 the worst year

This is a terrible disease, but a balance has to be made between normality and shutting society down completely, which will have other terrible affects
    Can we stop this? You're comparing to the worst year in recent memory about flu and we are going to be far far higher than that figure. If we were all asked to make some small sacrifices to save thousands from cancer wouldn't we do it? This comparing to other terrible deaths and diseases does not help and belittles the hard work done by many to save thousands of lives. Yes it's a bit of inconvenience to many of us but well worth it. 
    I think that’s a huge understatement. Everyone has had to make huge sacrifices in the last two months, whether mentally, physically or emotionally. We will disregard all operations which aren’t taking place at the moment 

The sugar tax and smoking ban are two examples of sacrifices which have been made in the fight against cancer.

Personally, I am happy to see people like Peter Hitches challenging the data as no one else is questioning the logic behind this decision of keeping the whole nation under lockdown.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    A terrible figure, but 165000 die of cancer in the UK EVERY YEAR, 35000 of lung cancer alone 

This is a terrible disease, but a balance has to be made between normality and shutting society down completely, which will have other terrible affects
    Can we stop this? You're comparing to the worst year in recent memory about flu and we are going to be far far higher than that figure. If we were all asked to make some small sacrifices to save thousands from cancer wouldn't we do it? This comparing to other terrible deaths and diseases does not help and belittles the hard work done by many to save thousands of lives. Yes it's a bit of inconvenience to many of us but well worth it. 
    I think that’s a huge understatement. Everyone has had to make huge sacrifices in the last two months, whether mentally, physically or emotionally. We will disregard all operations which aren’t taking place at the moment 

The sugar tax and smoking ban are two examples of sacrifices which have been made in the fight against cancer.

Personally, I am happy to see people like Peter Hitches challenging the data as no one else is questioning the logic behind this decision of keeping the whole nation under lockdown.

There are more cases now than when lockdown started. If we start to lift it now then what was the point of the lockdown in the first place.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

But you can't catch cancer from a family member that has it, and we're only a third of the way through the year so far. Let's do some quick and dirty maths:
    The first UK covid death was announced on 5th March, which was 55 days ago, and since then the official tally of deaths is 26,097. That averages out at 474 deaths per day. There are 245 days left this year, so if we maintained that average over the rest of the year, that works out at roughly 116,000 more deaths this year or 142,000 total. And that's not over a full 365 day period - using your figure for cancer, that works out at roughly 452 cancer deaths a day.
    Now obviously, there are a number of issues with this approach as the number of daily deaths is currently higher than that average, and with the recent inclusion of care home deaths it's difficult to say whether they are still climbing, leveling off or dropping, and if they are dropping, how quickly. But this is with the current restrictions in place, and if they are eased the number of infections are likely to balloon, and with them the number of deaths.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Famous contrarian Peter Hitchens? Sorry if I disagree with his views over what medical professionals are advising. The logic is quite clear, if you want to say you miss doing things or you can't work etc then that's fine but please don't question the medical advice of why we are doing that. Tell me how have those countries done that have had no/minor lockdowns (I include us with minor lockdowns as this is not very severe at all) versus those that have had much more stringent lockdowns? 
  • Options
    I took my car to Tesco's this morning (say 11:30) and I was surprised how QUIET the roads were. Maybe rush hour traffic is busier, but I certainly didn't see much evidence of the roads being packed out with drivers
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

There are more cases now than when lockdown started. If we start to lift it now then what was the point of the lockdown in the first place.
    There is more testing now. As a percentage of cases per tests, the numbers are now lower
  • Options
    Rumours boris Johnson is extending lockdown till june and will be announced tonight at 5pm