Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Put this on the other thread, but as it is more to do with lockdown easing I thought it might be of interest to put it here to say how it is happening in Spain:

Just announced here we'll be able to go out for one walk a day (first time in eight weeks) between 6-10am or 8-11pm, maximum of 1km from home. Different times of the day for older people and for children to be out with parents. All very strict here still but will be very happy to finally stretch the legs.

I think the different time slots for over-70s, children and other adults is a good idea to minimise any more chance of it spreading again and causing another spike after the infection rate and death rate has gone down so much. 
  • Options

8. Can I visit elderly relatives?

No, you should not be visiting family members who do not live in your home.

You should keep in touch with them using phone or video calls.

Where your relatives are elderly or vulnerable, you may leave your house to help them, for example by dropping shopping or medication at their door. You can also help them to order online.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    clive said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Are we really still touting ' to put things in perspective the deadliest flu season killed this many people' argument?
    Baffling isn't it? It's fundamentally wrong as well, we're dealing with something much more infectious and definitely more deadly. And this applies to all ages. I can only put it down to people being selfish and just not caring about those most vulnerable to this virus. I really hope none of them have to experience losing a loved one over this but it would really show how utterly ridiculous this argument is. Some things are more important than how much you earn, the economy and how often you can go to the pub.

Figures also showed that only 1.3% of London patients who died were under the age of 40, while 87% were aged at least 60 and just under half were 80 or older.

graph
    And the comparative figures for the flu are...?
    These are for 2018. The numbers for young people are low BUT young people do die of the flu, presumably on top of other conditions. Indeed other perhaps the 40-50 category, I'd say the age spread is pretty similar. 

And just as the C19 numbers have been kept down by lockdown (which I entirely support) the flu numbers have been kept down by vaccination

• Options
    There will be all sorts of compromises for people to consider. I’m a recovering heart attack person and have athsma. I’m being careful and abiding by the rules. My son is at university in Canterbury. He wants to come home but we’ve told him he can’t. On 30 June (his birthday!) his contract on his house expires and he’s not allowed to enter his new one until September. If he doesn’t come home he’s homeless. What do I do?  Not a special case by any means but if the situation is still as it is by the end of June then I have a decision to take unless there is a soldier at the bottom of my garden with a gun. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    There will be all sorts of compromises for people to consider. I’m a recovering heart attack person and have athsma. I’m being careful and abiding by the rules. My son is at university in Canterbury. He wants to come home but we’ve told him he can’t. On 30 June (his birthday!) his contract on his house expires and he’s not allowed to enter his new one until September. If he doesn’t come home he’s homeless. What do I do?  Not a special case by any means but if the situation is still as it is by the end of June then I have a decision to take unless there is a soldier at the bottom of my garden with a gun. 
    Quarantine him in the shed for three weeks? :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    aliwibble said:
    Distinct possibility. We have a really good office come man cave at the bottom of the garden. The hour in the car together on the way from Canterbury pretty much knackers up the distancing bit though!
  • Options
    Very tricky.
    Rather than renting elsewhere, could he self isolate in a bedroom in your house for 3 weeks ?
    Use his own towels don't touch anything outside his bedroom etc?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    colthe3rd said:
    Are we really still touting ' to put things in perspective the deadliest flu season killed this many people' argument?
    Baffling isn't it? It's fundamentally wrong as well, we're dealing with something much more infectious and definitely more deadly. And this applies to all ages. I can only put it down to people being selfish and just not caring about those most vulnerable to this virus. I really hope none of them have to experience losing a loved one over this but it would really show how utterly ridiculous this argument is. Some things are more important than how much you earn, the economy and how often you can go to the pub.
    The whole point of mentioning other conditions ISN'T to downplay the severity of C19 or suggest we should all go back to work or to football or the pub, but to put the numbers in perspective.

It's far too simplistic to say this is more important than the economy, as if we stay in lockdown until a vaccine is ready, the economy will be destroyed. 5m unemployed, maybe 10m unemployed, and the government bankrupt with no money to pay for the NHS.

The timing of coming out will be a compromise, balancing all the conflicting demands. 
    Yes, I think some people may regard the economy being wrecked as big companies having smaller profits.
    I think they forget it means millions unemployed, becoming homeless, worsening health for many more than just Covid patients etc etc. 
  • Options
    ROTW said:

Here’s a question.
    When can I invite my mum over to meet the children, meaning sit alongside them.
    She is nearing 80, very well, and lives on her own in her own property.
    Does she isolate until a vaccine has been achieved?
    Well we have offered to bring her over next Saturday.
    How long can you lock someone up of her age? 
    I explained the situation fully, but she jumped at the offer.

I’ve posted without reading ahead and I’m sure people have beat me to this but not Saturday. We are still in lockdown so unfortunately it’s a no!

I’m guessing that you will be picking her up....unnecessary journey.

extra trip to the supermarket to get nice food....unnecessary journey.

what if any of your family have the virus and pass it on?

my advice is to hold out (I appreciate that this is hard) and hopefully see her in a few weeks when we are told it’s safe to do so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Distinct possibility. We have a really good office come man cave at the bottom of the garden. The hour in the car together on the way from Canterbury pretty much knackers up the distancing bit though!
    Let him get a train (seriously) or at the very least keep your car windows open.
    RIP Seb (driving instructor).

A man cave may be the answer or self isolating in his bedroom.
    Leave meals outside the door.
    Your only issues then are bathroom needs.
  • Options
    Come home but make him stay in his room for 7-14 days (not sure what the guidance is).

hopefully by June, the lockdown will be eased
  • Options
    My son caught Covid from me 18 days after I was better (I believe).
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    aliwibble said:
    Let him get a train (seriously) or at the very least keep your car windows open.

That’s about the size of it except there’s all his stuff that will need either brought home (at least two maybe three carloads) or put in storage in Canterbury (probably sensible but I’ll still need to go get it out the house as he doesn’t drive). I’m hoping that in the next eight weeks there is some progress and some restrictions are lifted   
  • Options
    Put this on the other thread, but as it is more to do with lockdown easing I thought it might be of interest to put it here to say how it is happening in Spain:

Just announced here we'll be able to go out for one walk a day (first time in eight weeks) between 6-10am or 8-11pm, maximum of 1km from home. Different times of the day for older people and for children to be out with parents. All very strict here still but will be very happy to finally stretch the legs.

I think the different time slots for over-70s, children and other adults is a good idea to minimise any more chance of it spreading again and causing another spike after the infection rate and death rate has gone down so much. 
     I read things like this and think how the f**k are there still new cases in Spain?

Same with Italy. Listened to a woman on a podcast yesterday, she had ventered out of the permitted walking distance and was slapped with a 800Euro fine. No questions asked.

These countries are taking it seriously. They are not messing about.

Then I look at us.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

A guy in his late teens/early 20’s locked in a bedroom for 3 weeks. Time to stockpile the andrex 
    Fortunately enough we have plenty of bog roll!! 🤣
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

A guy in his late teens/early 20’s locked in a bedroom for 3 weeks. Time to stockpile the andrex 
    turn off his wifi - haha ;)
    That’s pure evil. I really hope that I never cross you.....good idea though
  • Options
    @ROTW can’t you do a compromise? Her in her hallway on a chair and you guys 10-15 feet back on the drive? Stick a couple of fold up chairs out?

gives some face to face contact but 99% safer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:

I didn’t think a runny nose was a symptom? 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @ROTW can’t you do a compromise? Her in her hallway on a chair and you guys 10-15 feet back on the drive? Stick a couple of fold up chairs out?

gives some face to face contact but 99% safer
    Mate, my son (being the cleverest member of the family) has put us all right.
    We will organise some sort of picnic over hers where we will keep her at home, yet still have some sort of interaction.
    God knows where he gets his common sense from, but loves his nan.
    Still got to break it to my mum yet, but think she will be in tears for his understanding.
    All the best all.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Fortunately enough we have plenty of bog roll!! 🤣
    Not once he's been in isolation for 14 days !
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

That’s about the size of it except there’s all his stuff that will need either brought home (at least two maybe three carloads) or put in storage in Canterbury (probably sensible but I’ll still need to go get it out the house as he doesn’t drive). I’m hoping that in the next eight weeks there is some progress and some restrictions are lifted   
    You won't be at any less risk of catching Covid just because the government lift restrictions.
    (Apart from if restrictions are lifted then there is presumably less people out there infected). 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    T_C_E said:
    Just watched as an applauding neighbour who’s boyfriend pulled up at 8.00. He joined her in applauding before going in the house, he doesn’t live there but drops in 2/3 time daily. The hypocrisy is outstanding. 
    My wife went out at 8pm for her weekly chat/bang a metal colander with a wooden spoon. 
    I looked out and saw her then another couple of neighbours taking it in turns to all stroke the same dog.
    Absolutely fookin clueless.
    I was of course in the dog house (geddit) for asking her to wash her hands when she came in.
  • Options
    Had to drive into work today as my DSE assessment commanded I have a whole load of supportive equipment... Basically went to collect all the gear I already had on my desk.

It's about 10 minutes of driving each way and it honestly felt as busy as 4pm on any other day pre Covid... I was one of the cars, so can't really complain. 

In other news what are all these dickheads doing out there? Doing 90 odd in a 60 in heavy rain. Where are you all going? You can't all be collecting laptop risers, wrist supports and adjustable chairs from your offices.

Cunts.
  • Options
    Awaits Mehmet regarding wrist supports 
  • Options
    Dazzler, wrist support as in mouse rest, or one of them neoprene things you wrap round your wrist?