Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Spare a thought for poor old market traders, one of the few cash economies left. A lot of them won’t be returning, post lockdown.
    Big issue sellers have card readers now
    so I’m sure market traders can adjust, if they haven’t done already.
  • Options
    The cost of using iZettle, Square or whatever Stripe off is tiny, and probably cheaper then handling cash. Business banking is also easier and cheaper with new banks in the market who won’t rip you off 
  • Options
    reported 9,000 fines issued for 'breaking lockdown' .. I see a lot more people out walking, more cars on the road than for the previous 3/4 weeks (including mine) .. so there is certainly an unofficial lockdown easing around here 
  • Options
    ‘Feels’ very quiet again today 
  • Options
    reported 9,000 fines issued for 'breaking lockdown' .. I see a lot more people out walking, more cars on the road than for the previous 3/4 weeks (including mine) .. so there is certainly an unofficial lockdown easing around here 
    On the spot fines for ignorant c**** ignoring guidelines.
  • Options
    Went out for a bike ride today - went through a local town and it was a lot busier than I have seen it but I hardly saw any cars on the road.

I did encounter a group of cyclists, maybe they were in the same household who knows - the thing that really pissed me off was that one of them cleared their nostrils when i was cycling about 10 metres behind him - who does that normally when they know people are are travelling near them, let alone now. Cretin.
  • Options
    Ditto down here in Newquay, many more cars. See a bit more of neighbours gently flouting as well.
  • Options
    Very busy in the local park today walking the dogs. At least 3 or 4 groups of rule breakers. One group having a beer (been there a lot of days but now 6 rather than 3), 2 groups of picnickers and one ‘family’ group of at least 10 people walking the dog and I’d be amazed if they all lived in the same house. 
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Heard from a couple of people who own pubs that they are gearing up for opening in July 
    Have heard the same thing mate 
    Interesting, have a very good mate who has a pub. He hasn’t mentioned anything about re-opening. He needs to earn profit prior to opening, otherwise, why do it?

Has a beer garden also but not that big.

His comments, only tonight to me were...

” “Mmm, social distancing will not work for me. Need 10k T/o a week to break even.

Have to sharpen the old pencil 

Staff costs main prob 

Could be closed a while 

Chains in London saying cheaper to stay closed !!!!

Be interesting to see how they’ll charge rent which will be main problem 

Already companies saying in the lease rent is payable for the sale of alcohol if your forced to be closed rent needs adjusting 
    Plenty of legals to be discussed”
    Same for my pub I’ll need minimum 70% table occupancy at weekends to be able to open & I can’t keep social distancing manageable at that level , I seat 70 in one pub & would be lucky to seat 20 with proper distancing in place so much head scratching at the mo as to how we prepare reopening.
    im still planing September but think I’m optimistic, even with July opening it will take months to regain customer confidence till we would be at a profitable level.
    gona be a real hard time a head for pubs
  • Options
    On the spot fines for ignorant c**** ignoring guidelines.
    You must of had quite a few fines then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ROTW said:
    Spare a thought for poor old market traders, one of the few cash economies left. A lot of them won’t be returning, post lockdown.
    Probably due to the thought of having to declare full earnings and pay full tax in a reduced cash society
    That is a cheap shot
    Why is this a cheap shot... ?  Same reason why Black cab drivers are not that happy with the move to card payments. Any pure cash business has always, had this perk of untraceable earnings. 
  • Options
    Took my dogs to our normal private fields, let’s just say. 
    The gates were unlocked and I didn’t stay..... 
  • Options
    Big issue sellers have card readers now
    so I’m sure market traders can adjust, if they haven’t done already.
    Market traders will be fine, especially as peolle won't want to be in a massive shop with 100s of other people touching products/machines and trolleys 
  • Options
    The kitchen of the pub where my husband  used to work was  very small and would be impossible for  the staff to keep 2 metres away from each other.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    T_C_E said:
    Is this a coded message?!
    Think its a rather good poem myself
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    What I saw was disgusting and gave me the hump,
    So I left and took the dogs somewhere else for their dump
    Simply too many people out in the private fields jogging,
    Hence simply not the right place for some afternoon dogging.
  • Options
    ‘Feels’ very quiet again today 
    Funny as I thought the total opposite, we all went out yesterday for a wander in Bexley Woods and the roads felt like a normal Saturday. Cars and people everywhere through Welling / Bexley. More and more people seem to be out and about in my opinion - the only difference being nothing open apart from food shops. Most shops we passed that were open had queues stretching outside 
  • Options
    Where as I am certain car use, and footfall has definitely increased since the beginning of lockdown - I am frequently seeing posters use the phase it's 'like a normal *insert whichever day* here.

I am inclined to believe that's just an individuals misperception of the current situation. Car usage is still around 56% lower than it normally would be, and when you're hyper aware of social distancing it's always going to seem that people are everywhere, when in fact it's a lot quieter than it would be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve avoided the mud slinging at walkers/joggers/cyclists, as I think there is good and bad in all groups......until today.

Sat and Sun morning I’ve done a 45min walked loop of our estate at 7.30am, combining it with opening the local crematorium which I do as a wknd job - I’ve gone extra early and gloved up to avoid anyone.

Over the two morning but primarily yesterday (Sat) I encountered 11 joggers, most individuals but some doubles and a range of age and genders. On every separate occasion, upon seeing them in the distance I went far left or right either as far wide on the wide path, on the grass verge or sometimes in the road. Only one of the 11 reciprocated my move and only two acknowledged what I had very, very clearly done to help us both.  

Are these people:

1. Thick
    2. Day dreaming 
    3. Rude/selfish

I generally don’t know.

You need a fourth option - 'all of the above'.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    I’ve avoided the mud slinging at walkers/joggers/cyclists, as I think there is good and bad in all groups......until today.

Sat and Sun morning I’ve done a 45min walked loop of our estate at 7.30am, combining it with opening the local crematorium which I do as a wknd job - I’ve gone extra early and gloved up to avoid anyone.

Over the two morning but primarily yesterday (Sat) I encountered 11 joggers, most individuals but some doubles and a range of age and genders. On every separate occasion, upon seeing them in the distance I went far left or right either as far wide on the wide path, on the grass verge or sometimes in the road. Only one of the 11 reciprocated my move and only two acknowledged what I had very, very clearly done to help us both.  

Are these people:

1. Thick
    2. Day dreaming 
    3. Rude/selfish

I generally don’t know.

You need a fourth option - 'all of the above'.
    And we might as well chuck in the car/van drivers/motorcyclists who think the speed limits have been suspended during lockdown.

and lets not forget the pizza/Deliveroo riders who think they are on the streets of Baghdad.
  • Options
    We talk about the general public,but what about employees of firms.
    Thursday was at barclays at 08.30 one person in front of me we queue at 2 metres.
    Abour a dozen staff are out talking before they go in, they start to go in and all of them walk between me and the lady in front.
    They could of walked round the side and kept 2 metres apart or asked us to make a bit more space.
    Nope just all walked through.
  • Options
    Where as I am certain car use, and footfall has definitely increased since the beginning of lockdown - I am frequently seeing posters use the phase it's 'like a normal *insert whichever day* here.

I am inclined to believe that's just an individuals misperception of the current situation. Car usage is still around 56% lower than it normally would be, and when you're hyper aware of social distancing it's always going to seem that people are everywhere, when in fact it's a lot quieter than it would be. 
    It also seems busier as everyone is congregated in a smaller area, as people can’t go to Bluewater etc.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    We talk about the general public,but what about employees of firms.
    Thursday was at barclays at 08.30 one person in front of me we queue at 2 metres.
    Abour a dozen staff are out talking before they go in, they start to go in and all of them walk between me and the lady in front.
    They could of walked round the side and kept 2 metres apart or asked us to make a bit more space.
    Nope just all walked through.
    Had the same in Bexleyheath on Monday ... ridiculous. 
  • Options
    The main difference I can see is that people are becoming less adherent to the 2m rule, especially younger people
  • Options
    The main difference I can see is that people are becoming less adherent to the 2m rule, especially younger people
    and chavs.
  • Options

There were many different age groups in the queue at Lidl's Bromley on Saturday, they could have almost nestled their chins on the shoulder of the person in front they were so close.  Around 7 or 8 people all unrelated to each other.