Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    ROTW said:
    LenGlover said:
    Aren't journalists / broadcasters 'key workers?' Laura Wotsit doesn't get a police visit when she loiters outside Downing Street or the Houses of Parliament.

Whether they should be key workers is another debate but thisparticular  'visit' seems politically motivated to me given the recipient of it.
    He isn't a journalist or a broadcaster in any true sense of the word though. He is, however, a prick. Not sure they're exempt mind... 
    someone got a puncture?
    That's original
  • Options
    Did anyone see the BBC South East piece on barbers yesterday?  The reporter posed as someone wanting a haircut and quite a high proportion of the barbers he contacted were working illegally and offered to cut his hair at a very inflated price. 
  • Options
    Did anyone see the BBC South East piece on barbers yesterday?  The reporter posed as someone wanting a haircut and quite a high proportion of the barbers he contacted were working illegally and offered to cut his hair at a very inflated price. 
    When you watch people on TV, how many people have hair which looks uncut or obviously cut or dyed at home?
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    There were definitely more people out today doing my weekly shopping, both pedestrians and cars. The roadworks were also back on. I've also had my  first two work contacts for six weeks. People's attitudes are definitely shifting partly because schools partially start going back on the 11th May and so I think this has changed the mindset.
    Meanwhile my wife was treating some COVID19 'suspects' today again.
    Jimmy, no way will schools be back on the 11th May, even partly. The talking of social distancing in schools I find ridiculous and I think the government know this too. There’s a long road ahead with this and I think people are going to have to come to terms with that. I fear if we don’t we will indeed be back to square one. 

I might be wrong but I think schools will be shut until September as the government scramble to find a vaccine or at least a more successful treatment. If they open any earlier then I think the suggestion about herd immunity being the plan could be true but this could see hundreds of thousands dead by the end. 
    I’ve been looking back through the data from the 2008 recession and the impact of what happened afterwards. Apparently 500k extra deaths from cancer related illness due to poverty and 10k deaths from suicide in UK.

The really sad is I think whatever government decides to do a lot of people will die, whether in the short term (2/3 months) or in the longer term 2/3 years due to the economical impact.
    Sorry. I should remember everytime to state on such threads that I'm in France. School restarts here next Thursday.
  • Options
    Just had at least 8 people with balloons and pressies go to a birthday party in the next street. Parked outside my house and left an hour later. Tossers 
  • Options
    Have been told a few big city firms are planning to return to work on the 18th May. One of these will start with 3500 staff which equates to 50%. Lots of rules to be followed apparently. 

• Options
    The view in the civil service is that it's unlikely you'll be needed in the office unless your role is business critical. Our building is having its capacity cut by 2/3rds, and we work in a building which is 100% open plan, on the 6th and 7th floors and is 100% shared desks. So no chance of people coming back 
  • Options
    Street party down my road Friday.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    But social distanced ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:
    Have been told a few big city firms are planning to return to work on the 18th May. One of these will start with 3500 staff which equates to 50%. Lots of rules to be followed apparently. 

It's never going to work. I've read about some of the plans they're putting in place but it simply won't work for office jobs in the city. What level of staff allowed to go back would mean you could safely get on public transport? What about walking down the narrow streets? Sharing elevators or corridors? Using toilets?

I know certain jobs are different but for my team if we can't all be there at the same time it's pretty pointless some of us being in. We'd still need to communicate so it would just be done virtually so then why be in the office at all? I can't speak for every firm but I have a feeling ours are just going to allow us to work from home until the end of the summer. My hope is that other firms do similar unless it's absolutely vital you have to be in an office, I hope that some don't try and take advantage of any relaxation of the rules.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    One planned for mine too. Apparently my neighbours didn't like the proposal to use front gardens as we live on a main road, so are instead planning on congregating in the rear access road, which is out of sight.
  • Options

A colleague from work contacted his regular barber about doing his hair and the barber went to my mates house to sort out his barnet. He had to have it done out in his garden because his missus said in no uncertain times was the barber coming in the house. She also made my mate rinse himself off under the garden hose before she’d let him in the house.  Not sure how much was charged for this.
  • Options
    We have a lady who visits the house, she offered to come round next week, we have decided to decline and will be in touch in the future. 
  • Options
    Barbers and hairdressing is one of the top problem sectors for compliance with the law on business closures. Why people are prepared to let others get that close when they've no idea who else they've cut that day is a mystery but there you are.

The other is mobile phone/accessory shops. Apparently it's essential to buy yet another sparkly cover for your iPhone even in these times.

I've absolutely no doubt the demand for this sort of thing is there and we will see another spike in a few weeks if the government goes too far with relaxing its lockdown. 
  • Options
    We have a lady who visits the house, she offered to come round next week, we have decided to decline and will be in touch in the future. 
    She can come round mine.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Let’s hope it doesn’t go on too late.
  • Options

A colleague from work contacted his regular barber about doing his hair and the barber went to my mates house to sort out his barnet. He had to have it done out in his garden because his missus said in no uncertain times was the barber coming in the house. She also made my mate rinse himself off under the garden hose before she’d let him in the house.  Not sure how much was charged for this.
    Really, his wife should do it for free, otherwise it's blatant profiteering.
  • Options
    She can come round mine.
    One snip and your hooked. Shame your not local very pleasant trim technique. 
  • Options
    She can come round mine.
    One snip and your hooked. Shame your not local very pleasant trim technique. 
    Never heard it called that before. 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    It was great. 
    You should have joined us.
  • Options
    Keep up. This is the Irish government plan released at the weekend. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    It was great. 
    You should have joined us.
    He was not invited.  People wanted to enjoy themselves.
  • Options
    "Fitness & sport activities (non-contact) in small groups (max of 4 people) may resume (golf included)"

That'll be our 1st team squad after the 30th June, so we'll be ok!
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    clb74 said:
    One planned for mine too. Apparently my neighbours didn't like the proposal to use front gardens as we live on a main road, so are instead planning on congregating in the rear access road, which is out of sight.
    Im glad im not the only one whose complained.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2020
    I have just come out of a 24 hour power cut, anyway, the reason I mention this is that they had what they call a welfare van around the corner, charging points, hot water, microwave etc.
    they were literally parked in front of my car, so as I am regularly going to my car to turn the battery over and running etc, I took my phone for them to charge and sat in my car reading a book, got chatting to the guy outside the van running things, he goes all over the south east and anglia, he was telling me that he was on an estate recently and he was told a story of a local pub that was raided by the police as people were seen to be inside, anyway, the landlord said they were all family and staying there and it was a private party, police did a search, they found locals hiding in cupboards and cellars etc