Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    The rubber/silicone thing that you stick in front of your keyboard.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Just watched as an applauding neighbour who’s boyfriend pulled up at 8.00. He joined her in applauding before going in the house, he doesn’t live there but drops in 2/3 time daily. The hypocrisy is outstanding. 
    My wife went out at 8pm for her weekly chat/bang a metal colander with a wooden spoon. 
    I looked out and saw her then another couple of neighbours taking it in turns to all stroke the same dog.
    Absolutely fookin clueless.
    I was of course in the dog house (geddit) for asking her to wash her hands when she came in.
    Get out on your drive and give a round of applause ya miserable scroat!
  • Options
    Yeah, I really ought to get one of those, although to be honest my wrists are the least of my problems.
  • Options
    There will be all sorts of compromises for people to consider. I’m a recovering heart attack person and have athsma. I’m being careful and abiding by the rules. My son is at university in Canterbury. He wants to come home but we’ve told him he can’t. On 30 June (his birthday!) his contract on his house expires and he’s not allowed to enter his new one until September. If he doesn’t come home he’s homeless. What do I do?  Not a special case by any means but if the situation is still as it is by the end of June then I have a decision to take unless there is a soldier at the bottom of my garden with a gun. 
    Get him to get enough supplies for 2 weeks of shopping so he doesn't have to interact with anyone and then he can come home? I imagine this becomes a lot more complicated if he is sharing accommodation and then a tent in the garden with some camping supplies might be the best solution
  • Options
    But I can't see how high street retail recovers easily, small shops who don't take cards will be hit as I think cash is dead after this, how do clothes retailers cope in a world of no changing rooms and the knock on on margins as people bring back tons of clothes. 

Interesting to see the share prices of the likes of ASOS and BooHoo go up in recent weeks
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    But I can't see how high street retail recovers easily, small shops who don't take cards will be hit as I think cash is dead after this, how do clothes retailers cope in a world of no changing rooms and the knock on on margins as people bring back tons of clothes. 

Interesting to see the share prices of the likes of ASOS and BooHoo go up in recent weeks

My missus has always been a very keen shopper, preferring real shops over online! But this will permanently change her shopping habits as she now sees the much greater convenience of online shopping. I've been trying to convince her for years!!
    The majority of even small shops take cards now so I don't necessarily see that as a contributory factor. I also think that plastic will continue its dominant growth over cash but I can't see cash disappearing completely any time soon.
    The world will never be the same - that's for sure.

• Options
    Spare a thought for poor old market traders, one of the few cash economies left. A lot of them won’t be returning, post lockdown.
  • Options
    Spare a thought for poor old market traders, one of the few cash economies left. A lot of them won’t be returning, post lockdown.
    Why can't market traders accept card payments? Plenty of other businesses like street food stalls/coffee vans have done so for quite a while. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Rothko said:

Cash won’t be dead and won’t be allowed to become dead. There was a move in Finland and Estonia I think ? to move in that direction but they decided that it was not either good or possible. A UK government committee was/is looking at this and the likely outcome is that cash will be retained with no push towards cashless. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why can't market traders accept card payments? Plenty of other businesses like street food stalls/coffee vans have done so for quite a while. 
    Most do now. Just a few of the old guard will only take cash.

The problem at the moment is how to have a market with social distancing.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Cash won’t be dead and won’t be allowed to become dead. There was a move in Finland and Estonia I think ? to move in that direction but they decided that it was not either good or possible. A UK government committee was/is looking at this and the likely outcome is that cash will be retained with no push towards cashless. 

I've read that stuff, but it doesn't include something that hugely shifts the dynamics when you've got retailers and government advising that the best way to pay is contactless at the moment, I just don't think you'll shift that behaviour back to polymer and metal. 
  • Options
    Probably due to the thought of having to declare full earnings and pay full tax in a reduced cash society
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

I've read that stuff, but it doesn't include something that hugely shifts the dynamics when you've got retailers and government advising that the best way to pay is contactless at the moment, I just don't think you'll shift that behaviour back to polymer and metal. 
    Take your point but for another 20 years ? We still have a significant proportion of the population that can’t or won’t want to go cashless. The aged. That’s ignoring the poorest and most disadvantaged in society who also have a stake in retaining cash. It will happen eventually but not for the foreseeable in my opinion.
  • Options
    What about the drug dealers, can't see them going cashless.
  • Options
    Most fruit and veg stalls are round sums only - this bowl of grapes for £1 - I assume that will continue. More difficult for stalls selling a variety of produce, at various prices

• Options
    On the late shift this afternoon, drove in the short distance to work and was amazed at how many cars were on the road....
  • Options
    Probably due to the thought of having to declare full earnings and pay full tax in a reduced cash society
    That is a cheap shot
  • Options
    When all our notes are converted to the new materials we can just wash them every day. We'll all be helping to launder money
  • Options
    Went on normal weekly supermarket trip this morning, first time since lockdown that there was no queue to get in, and took no time to be served. 

However, the roads were the busiest yet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I cycle to and from work and have done since the lockdown started, the last 2 weeks on the cycle home the amount of cars on the road has seemed like it was pre-lockdown, it is especially noticeable in the mornings as I'm out at 6.30, 3 weeks ago I would maybe see 3 or 4 cars on the 20 minute ride now it's like the is no lockdown. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Roads on my dog walk today were the busiest since lockdown, funny enough saw no joggers or bike riders though. 
  • Options
    Just been for a short walk. The roads are still MUCH quieter than normal
  • Options
    Definitely an increase in number of cars driving up & down Station Hill here which is the road mainly used to get to Tunbridge Wells from the area. 

But a decrease in the number of road kill , especially badgers.

However, yesterday, sitting on my pc with the front windows to my left, my eye was caught by the sight of 2 deer running along the station car park opposite ! 

Often encounter them in the lanes around here but this was out of the ordinary, like the goats straying into built up areas of Wales. 
  • Options
    Definitely an increase in number of cars driving up & down Station Hill here which is the road mainly used to get to Tunbridge Wells from the area. 

However, yesterday, sitting on my pc with the front windows to my left, my eye was caught by the sight of 2 deer running along the station car park opposite ! 

Often encounter them in the lanes around here but this was out of the ordinary, like the goats straying into built up areas of Wales. 
    I’m assuming they gave up on a Southeastern train ever arriving ....
  • Options

• Options

I’m assuming they gave up on a Southeastern train ever arriving ....
    The tickets were too deer...
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Heard from a couple of people who own pubs that they are gearing up for opening in July 
    Have heard the same thing mate 
    Interesting, have a very good mate who has a pub. He hasn’t mentioned anything about re-opening. He needs to earn profit prior to opening, otherwise, why do it?

Has a beer garden also but not that big.

His comments, only tonight to me were...

” “Mmm, social distancing will not work for me. Need 10k T/o a week to break even.

Have to sharpen the old pencil 

Staff costs main prob 

Could be closed a while 

Chains in London saying cheaper to stay closed !!!!

Be interesting to see how they’ll charge rent which will be main problem 

Already companies saying in the lease rent is payable for the sale of alcohol if your forced to be closed rent needs adjusting 
    Plenty of legals to be discussed”
  • Options

So we have a timeline for going forward here in Ireland.
    I’ll grand for my trim in July so.
  • Options

Is it sponsored by the government and called a Bo-dom?