Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    The lack of a proper lockdown here is going to result in the 'lockdown' being in place for much longer. We should have been much tougher right from the start and have started it much earlier. 

Since the 'lockdown' started I have seen far more people out walking, running and cycling than ever there were before it started. The number of people cycling on the pavement past my house is incredible. Traffic levels during the day have never really gone down much and at the weekends we have had the usual boy racers speeding up and down the road which has a 30mph limit. People know they can get away with flouting the rules so many do as they please.

There were still over 4K new cases confirmed yesterday and whilst that number remains so high we are going to have problems in this country.  If the lockdown were working, we should surely see far fewer new cases than we currently have.
    A couple of things on this:

1. As I've mentioned a few times on this thread, and the main thread, our 'lockdown' has managed to have the exact effect as other countries lockdowns in a similar amount of time - to reduce the R0 number below 1. 

2. Don't look at the amount of cases each day, look at the percentage of people who tested positive compared to tests done, as well as hospitalization rates. That will give you a better indication of what the virus is going.

3. You cant dismiss the long term health benifits. Both physically and mentally. Of us not being 'fully lockdowned'. We may not know for years, but I believe, especially in a situation where we may have to continue with sporadic lockdowns having some freedom will have long term health benifits. There was an interesting article on the BBC about Italy and its lockdown effect yesterday. 

4. Yes there are certainly quiet a few idiots flouting the rules that are in place. However the vast vast vast majority of people are not. 
    I think the actual data, rather than the anecdotal observations, show that the vast, vast majority of people are complying with the lockdown conditions. We’ve actually done a far better job as a country of complying than I expected. 
    Strangely enough a far better job than the government and scientists expected as well. 
  • Options
    I realise that there are more tests being done, but 4k new cases is still a high number and reflects current new infections. Hospitalisation rates may not be people newly infected, as it takes some time for the virus to get bad enough to require going into hospital in a lot of cases.

I do get the mental health  aspect but I do think that the exercise excuse has given the green light for people to be far more liberal than what was probably intended.  The people going past my house cannot be 2 metres apart as they pass each other on the pavement. 

• Options
    As a key worker and someone who can cycle or drive to work I have noticed in recent weeks that there is more and more traffic and people about. I have changed to driving even though work is a couple of miles away as I go past more and more people on my cycle. 

Even at 23.15 at night when I have been riding home I seem to be bumping into more people.

I would like another 3 weeks lockdown as I feel, we will be put under a longer one if this goes again.
  • Options
    The lack of a proper lockdown here is going to result in the 'lockdown' being in place for much longer. We should have been much tougher right from the start and have started it much earlier. 

Since the 'lockdown' started I have seen far more people out walking, running and cycling than ever there were before it started. The number of people cycling on the pavement past my house is incredible. Traffic levels during the day have never really gone down much and at the weekends we have had the usual boy racers speeding up and down the road which has a 30mph limit. People know they can get away with flouting the rules so many do as they please.

There were still over 4K new cases confirmed yesterday and whilst that number remains so high we are going to have problems in this country.  If the lockdown were working, we should surely see far fewer new cases than we currently have.
    Is it possible that this is partially because you are at home more, and therefore have more opportunity to see more people walking/running/cycling past your house?
  • Options
    I realise that there are more tests being done, but 4k new cases is still a high number and reflects current new infections. Hospitalisation rates may not be people newly infected, as it takes some time for the virus to get bad enough to require going into hospital in a lot of cases.

I do get the mental health  aspect but I do think that the exercise excuse has given the green light for people to be far more liberal than what was probably intended.  The people going past my house cannot be 2 metres apart as they pass each other on the pavement. 

In reality someone passing you outdoors for half a second when less than 2m away is a minuscule risk. It's annoying when people don't keep their distance, but it's very minor risk when compared to the public places that have been closed down, where you have close and prolonged indoors contact
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Is it possible that this is partially because you are at home more, and therefore have more opportunity to see more people walking/running/cycling past your house?
    I'm quite lucky where I live as only have to run for about a mile (roughly 8mins) before I'm down countrylanes which sees very little traffic whether it be pedestrian or vehicle

Since this lockdown though there is one lane which I love to run down yet has had a much larger increase in walkers / cyclists / runners 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I live in the countryside with neighbours about  a quarter of a mile away and during the first days of lock down the B Road on which I live was completely devoid of traffic. on the second or third day whilst walking the dogs over the field I found people driving out from the nearest town (7 miles away) and parking their cars at the end of the bridle path  by the house to exercise their own dogs. This was the first time in 19 years that I had met some people on the path other than a few local horse riders from the stables half a mile away. Traffic began to return in the second week and now seven weeks in  we have several cars a minute using the road, often at speeds in excess of 80 (it is a 50mph limit). 
    The South Cambridgeshire area has a low number of Covid 19 cases and supposedly one of the highest number of university graduates  per square mile of anywhere inthe country. We are probably now approaching the highest number of dipsticks per sq mile as well
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I am working at home and sitting at the back of the house most of the day, but when I am sitting in my lounge at the front, I do see far more people out than usual.
  • Options
    The main difference I can see is that people are becoming less adherent to the 2m rule, especially younger people

There were many different age groups in the queue at Lidl's Bromley on Saturday, they could have almost nestled their chins on the shoulder of the person in front they were so close.  Around 7 or 8 people all unrelated to each other.
    May be now related via Covid-19.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I think it's appropriate that Farage was spoken to by the police, but that they did nothing else for his transgression.  He's broken the "rules" that are in place for all of us, to go on a (roughly) 150 mile round trip on a non-essential journey and, while he was there, he filmed a piece to camera which was intended to be shown to several, easily-influenced people.  And these are exactly the sort of people who might, ultimately, mimic his anti-social, inconsiderate and dangerous behaviour.  (What if we all did it, Nigel? What would happen then?)  

But he only needed to be spoken to, to give him advice and a request that he doesn't do it again.  No need for any other action on the part of the police.  Not for that trip, anyway. 

They should have thrown the fucking book at him for the ridiculous hat, though. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I think your looking at it the wrong way, this would make perfect sense IMO, when we were not in lockdown, people could pick & choose when they wanted to go out and exercise, if at all.
    Now that we are restricted to going out once a day to exercise, people are taking advantage of it whilst they can, for instance, I was never one for just going out and having a walk at random or at any other specific time in the pursuit of exercise, it’s just not me, My job is fairly active & physical, now that I’m furloughed I make the effort to go out on certain days for a 20-30 minute walk to clear the cobwebs, nothing to do with breaking or trying to stretch the rules, although I’m sure there are some that do, the vast  majority are just getting out when allowed, like me. 
    If you think of it in another way, out of lockdown during the week, most people are at work, you see less people doing the above, there’s a reason parks are busier and you see more cyclists at weekends, the opportunity.
    If you were at HMP and didn’t take your 1 hour daily exercise, more fool you. 
    And ironically, had the call earlier, back to work Monday, slightly reduced hours but full pay, we’ve had one person in full time, ticking over etc, but getting busier apparently 
  • Options
    The main difference I can see is that people are becoming less adherent to the 2m rule, especially younger people

There were many different age groups in the queue at Lidl's Bromley on Saturday, they could have almost nestled their chins on the shoulder of the person in front they were so close.  Around 7 or 8 people all unrelated to each other.
    That was Bromley though, so you can't be too sure

"Your sister is your mother..."
    Excuse me but we have much better bred idiots in Bromley I'll have you know!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Rothko said:
    I think it's appropriate that Farage was spoken to by the police, but that they did nothing else for his transgression.  He's broken the "rules" that are in place for all of us, to go on a (roughly) 150 mile round trip on a non-essential journey and, while he was there, he filmed a piece to camera which was intended to be shown to several, easily-influenced people.  And these are exactly the sort of people who might, ultimately, mimic his anti-social, inconsiderate and dangerous behaviour.  (What if we all did it, Nigel? What would happen then?)  

But he only needed to be spoken to, to give him advice and a request that he doesn't do it again.  No need for any other action on the part of the police.  Not for that trip, anyway. 

*walks off to hat collection* 😢
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Aren't journalists / broadcasters 'key workers?' Laura Wotsit doesn't get a police visit when she loiters outside Downing Street or the Houses of Parliament.

Whether they should be key workers is another debate but thisparticular  'visit' seems politically motivated to me given the recipient of it.
    Apparently so. Piers Morgan recently got a Coronavirus test (negative). Quiet ironic after he berated government ministers for getting tests themselves. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Rothko said:

Ok, I lent him that when he popped round for a beer last week. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Aren't journalists / broadcasters 'key workers?' Laura Wotsit doesn't get a police visit when she loiters outside Downing Street or the Houses of Parliament.

Whether they should be key workers is another debate but thisparticular  'visit' seems politically motivated to me given the recipient of it.
    He isn't a journalist or a broadcaster in any true sense of the word though. He is, however, a prick. Not sure they're exempt mind... 

LenGlover said:

He isn't a journalist or a broadcaster in any true sense of the word though. He is, however, a prick. Not sure they're exempt.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

He isn't a journalist or a broadcaster in any true sense of the word though. He is, however, a prick. Not sure they're exempt mind... 
    someone got a puncture?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Rothko said:

The easily influenced people that voted Tory you mean?
    Get off your fucking high horse and stick to the thread title.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I have no dog in this fight, don’t care either way, but he is both, either the rule applies to him and all journalists and broadcasters or it doesn’t
    Im more concerned that the zero talented, vacuous waste of oxygen that is Gemma Collins thinks it’s acceptable to drive 30-40 miles from her lockdown address to visit her just as zero talented vacuous waste of oxygen boyfriend at his home for the weekend, then drive back again. 
    Farage can at least claim it was inline with one or both of his roles, hard as that may be to swallow 
  • Options
    Police out this morning in Eltham high st asking people why they are there. Plenty of people about to.
  • Options
    Police out this morning in Eltham high st asking people why they are there. Plenty of people about to.
    We went to my wife's pre-school nursery yesterday to open the post, check the premises and to run a few taps etc.

I was shocked at the amount of traffic and people about outside and on the roads and this is in the Eltham/Blackfen area.