Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    I took my car to Tesco's this morning (say 11:30) and I was surprised how QUIET the roads were. Maybe rush hour traffic is busier, but I certainly didn't see much evidence of the roads being packed out with drivers
    Data from Apple, Google and the AA indicate there has been an increase in the number of people out and about over the past couple of weeks.
  • Options
    chev said:
    Rumours boris Johnson is extending lockdown till june and will be announced tonight at 5pm 
    I don't expect that to be announced tonight,  but I do think that will happen. Lock down until end of May 
  • Options
    Almost certain there will be a 3 week extension after this current 3 weeks. 
  • Options
    How can there possibly be anything else? There are still hundreds of people passing away daily from this virus including healthcare workers and the virus is in circulation, why would we do anything other than extend the lockdown until the cases and deaths have been extinguished. 

I've always thought how good we have it comparatively in the UK would cause us tons of problems with this. It's my own (and millions of others) diligence and fear of catching or spreading the virus that is keeping us at home. I dont feel under any threat or pressure from the authorities to do so and I'm confident I could be out between 7 and 7 without being challenged if I was so selfish. And that freedom will ensure either the government bend to economic pressure and just reopen the floodgates or that we remain in a soft "please stay in but you are allowed out to do anything apart from go to the pub because we can't in any way enforce this" lockdown for the foreseeable 

• Options
    Heard from a couple of people who own pubs that they are gearing up for opening in July 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Heard from a couple of people who own pubs that they are gearing up for opening in July 
    2021 I hope 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Have heard the same thing mate 
  • Options
    Pubs won’t open before Christmas 
  • Options
    chev said:
    Rumours boris Johnson is extending lockdown till june and will be announced tonight at 5pm 
    I think if this is true it’s very sensible. If we can maintain the lockdown as is then we could well see the R number remain under one. That must be the ultimate goal. I do believe that lockdown is lifting despite no allowance for it to do so. On that basis I think that the government needs to crack the whip a bit. Announcing June would give focus to a time scale and I believe that before then small changes could be made. 
  • Options
    and forget Schools opening anytime soon, the scientific debate is ongoing, and no where near fixed 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-scientists-caution-against-reopening-schools 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are we really still touting ' to put things in perspective the deadliest flu season killed this many people' argument?
  • Options
    Are we really still touting ' to put things in perspective the deadliest flu season killed this many people' argument?

Well,  surely it's all about opinion.  Just maybe,  some people have a different opinion and viewpoint than you do. 

• Options
    Baffling isn't it? It's fundamentally wrong as well, we're dealing with something much more infectious and definitely more deadly. And this applies to all ages. I can only put it down to people being selfish and just not caring about those most vulnerable to this virus. I really hope none of them have to experience losing a loved one over this but it would really show how utterly ridiculous this argument is. Some things are more important than how much you earn, the economy and how often you can go to the pub.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Baffling isn't it? It's fundamentally wrong as well, we're dealing with something much more infectious and definitely more deadly. And this applies to all ages. I can only put it down to people being selfish and just not caring about those most vulnerable to this virus. I really hope none of them have to experience losing a loved one over this but it would really show how utterly ridiculous this argument is. Some things are more important than how much you earn, the economy and how often you can go to the pub.

Figures also showed that only 1.3% of London patients who died were under the age of 40, while 87% were aged at least 60 and just under half were 80 or older.

graph
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

Well,  surely it's all about opinion.  Just maybe,  some people have a different opinion and viewpoint than you do. 

But how can you even compare the death rates from a virus that's allowed to pretty much circle freely through society, to those from a virus which has seen much of society quarantined away from each other. 

To put things in perspective how many people do you think would have died, and in how short a period if we decided to do nothing to slowdown the transmission of Coronavirus? 

• Options
    Pubs won’t open before Christmas 
    Yes they will
  • Options
    clive said:
    colthe3rd said:

Figures also showed that only 1.3% of London patients who died were under the age of 40, while 87% were aged at least 60 and just under half were 80 or older.

graph
    But still more deadly and infectious than flu to people of all ages.
  • Options
    clive said:
    colthe3rd said:

graph
    And the comparative figures for the flu are...?
  • Options
    chev said:
    I don't expect that to be announced tonight,  but I do think that will happen. Lock down until end of May 
    That’s handy. Got flights booked on EasyJet to go and see the in laws at Alicante on the 24th May
    Every cloud.
  • Options

Here’s a question.
    When can I invite my mum over to meet the children, meaning sit alongside them.
    She is nearing 80, very well, and lives on her own in her own property.
    Does she isolate until a vaccine has been achieved?
    Well we have offered to bring her over next Saturday.
    How long can you lock someone up of her age? 
    I explained the situation fully, but she jumped at the offer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    ROTW said:

Here’s a question.

Seeing her in person is a risk. That’s a fact. 

My mum is 86 and I’ve not been closer to her than 10 metres since the lockdown. I’m expecting she will need to shield until a vaccine.
  • Options
    ROTW said:

Here’s a question.

I think you're bloody mental.
    If she catches Covid her chances aren't good.
    I wouldn't want to live with my mum dying on my conscience.
    Mate, that is our families worry. But she is a very steadfast person. 
    Do we say we will pop over once a week (at distance) and see you properly some time in 2021?
  • Options

Just to add, she has been out shopping most days, so not totally isolated from anyone.
    Look, it is a tough one that I don’t expect a simple yes/no answer to.
    What I would say is, that given the gamble, I know which one my mum would choose.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    ROTW said:

Here’s a question.

I think you're bloody mental.
    If she catches Covid her chances aren't good.
    I wouldn't want to live with my mum dying on my conscience.
    Mate, that is our families worry. But she is a very steadfast person. 
    Do we say we will pop over once a week (at distance) and see you properly some time in 2021?
    Well most people aren't being seen at all or perhaps at a distance if they live close to each other.
    If the journey is more than possibly 30 mins, then you shouldn't travel at all.
  • Options
    ROTW said:

Just to add, she has been out shopping most days, so not totally isolated from anyone.
    What I would say is, that given the gamble, I know which one my mum would choose.
    Well she's already putting herself at risk by going out against all the advice.
    Maybe show/tell her the death stats for aged 80+ ?
    It may make her see sense.
  • Options
    Mate, I take on board all that has been mentioned and will try and think of some sort of compromise.
  • Options
    ROTW said:

Well she's already putting herself at risk by going out against all the advice.
    Maybe show/tell her the death stats for aged 80+ ?
    It may make her see sense.
    The advice isn't for all elderly to stay at home though

1.5m vulnerable people were told to stay at home, but it's not a blanket instruction for all elderly

Personally I would be wary of elderly people mixing too closely with children, as children aren't always very disciplined when it comes to contact and distancing
  • Options

Stay at home

• Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)
    • If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
    • Wash your hands as soon as you get home

Do not meet others, even friends or family. You can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus