Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Curb_It said:
    Curb_It said:
    The little Asda at the bottom of the Broadway is my little shop never a queue. Love it. But I don’t go early and I have all the meat so it’s just for veg and other essentials and to do my dads shop. Otherwise the newish Sainsburys in Abbey Wood is a good one. Empty.

I’m sure I was planning to reply to someone about shopping when I made this comment. Just read it back and I sound like a right  boring bastard.
    I though it was quite poetic, like blank verse. 

The little Asda
    At the bottom of the Broadway
    Is my little shop. 
    Never a queue. 
    Love it. 
    But I don’t go early 
    And I have all the meat. 
    So it’s just for veg and other essentials. 
    And to do my dads shop. 
    Otherwise the newish Sainsburys in Abbey Wood
    Is a good one. 
    Empty.
    Woe
    The tortured thoughts going through my mind
    There is a queue
    Outside Sainsbury's again
    Why always me?
    I wait patiently
    I maintain my distance at all times
    Unlike the woman behind me, encroaching in my space
    In normal circumstances that would be pleasurable
    But not today
    How I wish I was back home
    Safe in my favourite chair
    Reading Charlton Life

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Spoke with my American boss yesterday, who’s here during the lockdown, and he couldn’t believe how compliant the British people have been with the lockdown. His expectation was that, like the part of the States he’s from, there would be pubs open left, right and centre and a complete lack of respect for the rules. 

I don’t think we should give ourselves too hard a time - the statistics show that, even if things are starting to slip a tiny bit, Brits really have been respecting the lockdown in enormous numbers.
    Your American boss is missing the point, the British people aren’t compliant, far from it, we’re a nation that if you push us we push back. What’s happening now is we are also a nation that’s got a history of collective achievement, of rallying around, that’s familiar with paying it forward to help somebody else because somebody else has helped us. We’re also a nation that has embraced innovation and been at the forefront of invention. The lockdown is is a novel experience. We are not being compliant, we are making the most of it.
  • Options
    Stood in a corner of the bus from shopping in Bromley keeping the social distancing guidelines.
    Another useless b****** then managed to plonk her a*** directly behind another passenger.
    Words fail me at times.
    That reads like the start of a Bob Dylan song.

Blowin' In The Wind?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Spoke with my American boss yesterday, who’s here during the lockdown, and he couldn’t believe how compliant the British people have been with the lockdown. His expectation was that, like the part of the States he’s from, there would be pubs open left, right and centre and a complete lack of respect for the rules. 

I don’t think we should give ourselves too hard a time - the statistics show that, even if things are starting to slip a tiny bit, Brits really have been respecting the lockdown in enormous numbers.
    Your American boss is missing the point, the British people aren’t compliant, far from it, we’re a nation that if you push us we push back. What’s happening now is we are also a nation that’s got a history of collective achievement, of rallying around, that’s familiar with paying it forward to help somebody else because somebody else has helped us. We’re also a nation that has embraced innovation and been at the forefront of invention. The lockdown is is a novel experience. We are not being compliant, we are making the most of it.
    Righto. 
    Not convinced ? We live on a small island where you’re never more than 50 miles from the sea, the total population number is comparatively small and yet as a nation we consistently punch above our weight on the world stage. Definitely not a compliant nation.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I had a conversation on Facebook recently with an American guy who I know from the Elvis world etc, he’s a real southern bible bashing kinda guy, his whole take is that it’s all a conspiracy, don’t trust the government and him doing what he wants, when he wants regardless of lockdown, is fine because of the constitution, ie, it’s more important his constitutional rights as an American are upheld than people’s lives, health and safety, staggering 
  • Options
    Stood in a corner of the bus from shopping in Bromley keeping the social distancing guidelines.
    Another useless b****** then managed to plonk her a*** directly behind another passenger.
    Words fail me at times.
    That reads like the start of a Bob Dylan song.

Blowin' In The Wind?
    Stuck inside of lockdown with the Covid blues again?  ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    I think we've done very well tbh and from the comments on here from people living abroad, we're certainly no worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    I think we've done very well tbh and from the comments on here from people living abroad, we're certainly no worse.
    People have basically forgotten how many cars and pedestrians were on the streets before lockdown and so when they see half a dozen or a dozen cars on the road go by they think everybody is ignoring the lockdown whereas the reality is it’s just a small percentage of the population that’s off to the supermarket at that particular time to do the weekly shop and think that is happening all day long. when I’ve gone to the supermarket, sometimes I’ve had to queue going in and when I’ve left there’s no queue, and vice versa. It’s all about timing as to whether you go out and see bunches of cars and people or the occasional car and people.
    Exactly. It's amazing how all of a sudden people believe they have a concept of what a 'normal insert day here' looks like, when in reality the country looks vastly different to what it did 6 weeks ago.

T_C_E not digging you or the lady on your road out, but no one, even if they wanted to are continuing their lives as if the virus didn't exist. It has effected everyone in this country in someway, and though you may get the people and groups of people who go out more than once or don't adhere to social distancing, because 90% of the country are doing what's right fortunately they can't do much damage. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    People have basically forgotten how many cars and pedestrians were on the streets before lockdown and so when they see half a dozen or a dozen cars on the road go by they think everybody is ignoring the lockdown whereas the reality is it’s just a small percentage of the population that’s off to the supermarket at that particular time to do the weekly shop and think that is happening all day long. when I’ve gone to the supermarket, sometimes I’ve had to queue going in and when I’ve left there’s no queue, and vice versa. It’s all about timing as to whether you go out and see bunches of cars and people or the occasional car and people.
    As I've said before, I live on a main road and today, as has been the case on almost every day, there is little difference in the amount of traffic from what there was before the 'lock down'.  The boy racers are out again as well.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    Exactly. It's amazing how all of a sudden people believe they have a concept of what a 'normal insert day here' looks like, when in reality the country looks vastly different to what it did 6 weeks ago.

T_C_E not digging you or the lady on your road out, but no one, even if they wanted to are continuing their lives as if the virus didn't exist. It has effected everyone in this country in someway, and though you may get the people and groups of people who go out more than once or don't adhere to social distancing, because 90% of the country are doing what's right fortunately they can't do much damage. 
    Once again, my apologies as my written word is not as fluent in terms of explanation as others. But at least two neighbours have had exactly the same procession of visitors as they would have in normal times and they while have been externally affected in terms of shopping etc they have people coming and going all the time. We counted 11 different people including two children and builders entering and leaving the house opposite on good Friday and those were the one saw as we were in the garden at the rear of the house for most of the day.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    As I've said before, I live on a main road and today, as has been the case on almost every day, there is little difference in the amount of traffic from what there was before the 'lock down'.  The boy racers are out again as well.
    I'm not saying you are wrong ME14addick, just that I do find it hard to believe. Not only is traffic use nationwide down to unprecedented levels. Just from my own personal experience, as I have mentioned before I live on Rochester Way in Eltham, and usually there is always backed up traffic during rush hour. That has not happened once since lockdown. Furthermore by accident at somepoint we realised we had our window open all night, but didn't notice as we didn't hear any traffic.

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.

Once again, my apologies as my written word is not as fluent in terms of explanation as others. But at least two neighbours have had exactly the same procession of visitors as they would have in normal times and they while have been externally affected in terms of shopping etc they have people coming and going all the time. We counted 11 different people including two children and builders entering and leaving the house opposite on good Friday and those were the one saw as we were in the garden at the rear of the house for most of the day.
    When you hear things like this which will be multiplied ad infinitum the length and breadth of the country I can’t help wondering if the authorities early mixed messages and relaxed versions of the lockdown are not a strategy to get a herd immunity via the backdoor while all the time, on the face of it telling us to stay home. I think the behavioural science knew there would be 80% (?) compliance through fear and the rest would generally flout the rules and spread the virus. As long as the NHS was not overwhelmed all to the good.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Went out for a bike ride this morning. No too many cars but a fair few cyclists.

However, I live down on Romney Marsh and one of the few pubs here is serving beer with about 20-30 people in the beer garden. Large speakers setup to get into the party mood

Utter madness. 

Now at home listening to our nenighbours sociably distance by having a BBQ in their adjoining front gardens. 

Crazy and I’m keeping my distance from them all.

• Options
    You can’t win. Went out with the wife and dog (two separate entities before you ask) this morning for a stroll. On stretch of pavement with bumper to bumper parked cars a couple of people went in the road to maintain distance but one younger bloke on his own just walked straight towards us not even trying to sidle up to the edge of the pavement. I gave him a salvo and got a mouthful from the Mrs for my trouble along the lines of “your mouth is going to get you a sore face” sort of thing. Can’t be right even when you are. Humph. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Righto. 
    Not convinced ? We live on a small island where you’re never more than 50 miles from the sea, the total population number is comparatively small and yet as a nation we consistently punch above our weight on the world stage. Definitely not a compliant nation.
    Small nation island - agree
    50 miles from the sea - no, I grew up in warwickshire and the nearest sea over 100 miles away
    total population at 65m comparatively small per nation but not by land mass
    consistently punch above our weight - generally agree given we have no land mass or barural resources if our own. Going backwards in recent years

nit a compliant nation - no not normally but are prepared to be more compliant in times of difficulty. 

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.

When you hear things like this which will be multiplied ad infinitum the length and breadth of the country I can’t help wondering if the authorities early mixed messages and relaxed versions of the lockdown are not a strategy to get a herd immunity via the backdoor while all the time, on the face of it telling us to stay home. I think the behavioural science knew there would be 80% (?) compliance through fear and the rest would generally flout the rules and spread the virus. As long as the NHS was not overwhelmed all to the good.
    Considering you apparently need over 60% of the population to get the virus to gain herd immunity, seems like it would be difficult to achieve when 80%* of the population are following social distancing rules.

*The now shamed Professor Neil Ferguson mentioned in a recent interview that the behavioural scientists underestimated how much of the population would stick to the rules. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went out for a bike ride this morning. No too many cars but a fair few cyclists.

However, I live down on Romney Marsh and one of the few pubs here is serving beer with about 20-30 people in the beer garden. Large speakers setup to get into the party mood

Utter madness. 

Now at home listening to our nenighbours sociably distance by having a BBQ in their adjoining front gardens. 

That is utter madness. I hope the authorities are aware. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    I'm not saying you are wrong ME14addick, just that I do find it hard to believe. Not only is traffic use nationwide down to unprecedented levels. Just from my own personal experience, as I have mentioned before I live on Rochester Way in Eltham, and usually there is always backed up traffic during rush hour. That has not happened once since lockdown. Furthermore by accident at somepoint we realised we had our window open all night, but didn't notice as we didn't hear any traffic.

Two motorbikes have just gone past and they think they are Brands Hatch. I do live near some shops, petrol stations and takeaways, so I suppose they generate traffic.  It is quiet at night, but during the day there is definitely not much difference in the amount of traffic since lockdown started.
  • Options

Utter madness. 

The party will be over long before the day finishes, surely plod will be notified.
  • Options

Utter madness. 

The party will be over long before the day finishes, surely plod will be notified.
    The fact they are open and letting people congregate is bad enough, but to be actively encourage people by playing music shows no shame. 
  • Options

Utter madness. 

I don’t see the issue with the street party if they are keeping their distance. 

There’s a party in my road, I’ve stayed in doors as I’m miserable and would prefer to sit in my back garden but people are all sitting in front gardens and keeping their distance.
  • Options
    Surely plod can’t police mass rule breaking. 
  • Options
    Surely plod can’t police mass rule breaking. 
    Certainly not I expect, but an open pub blaring out music must be the sort of thing they should be stopping. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Righto. 
    Small nation island - agree
    50 miles from the sea - no, I grew up in warwickshire and the nearest sea over 100 miles away
    total population at 65m comparatively small per nation but not by land mass
    consistently punch above our weight - generally agree given we have no land mass or barural resources if our own. Going backwards in recent years

nit a compliant nation - no not normally but are prepared to be more compliant in times of difficulty. 

Are you mixing distance to a seaside resort with distance to the nearest coast ? Looking at the map of the country it appears that everywhere has a section of coast that isn’t that far away 
  • Options
    If we do get to a point over the summer where the social distancing rules are eased substantially, with international travel probably difficult, I dread to think what the coast will be like on hot days.