Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Spoke with my American boss yesterday, who’s here during the lockdown, and he couldn’t believe how compliant the British people have been with the lockdown. His expectation was that, like the part of the States he’s from, there would be pubs open left, right and centre and a complete lack of respect for the rules. 

I don’t think we should give ourselves too hard a time - the statistics show that, even if things are starting to slip a tiny bit, Brits really have been respecting the lockdown in enormous numbers.
    You beat me to it.
    I think we've done very well tbh and from the comments on here from people living abroad, we're certainly no worse.
    People have basically forgotten how many cars and pedestrians were on the streets before lockdown and so when they see half a dozen or a dozen cars on the road go by they think everybody is ignoring the lockdown whereas the reality is it’s just a small percentage of the population that’s off to the supermarket at that particular time to do the weekly shop and think that is happening all day long. when I’ve gone to the supermarket, sometimes I’ve had to queue going in and when I’ve left there’s no queue, and vice versa. It’s all about timing as to whether you go out and see bunches of cars and people or the occasional car and people.
    As I've said before, I live on a main road and today, as has been the case on almost every day, there is little difference in the amount of traffic from what there was before the 'lock down'.  The boy racers are out again as well.
    I can't help thinking your road/area is the exception to the rule.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Spoke with my American boss yesterday, who’s here during the lockdown, and he couldn’t believe how compliant the British people have been with the lockdown. His expectation was that, like the part of the States he’s from, there would be pubs open left, right and centre and a complete lack of respect for the rules. 

I don’t think we should give ourselves too hard a time - the statistics show that, even if things are starting to slip a tiny bit, Brits really have been respecting the lockdown in enormous numbers.
    You beat me to it.
    I think we've done very well tbh and from the comments on here from people living abroad, we're certainly no worse.
    People have basically forgotten how many cars and pedestrians were on the streets before lockdown and so when they see half a dozen or a dozen cars on the road go by they think everybody is ignoring the lockdown whereas the reality is it’s just a small percentage of the population that’s off to the supermarket at that particular time to do the weekly shop and think that is happening all day long. when I’ve gone to the supermarket, sometimes I’ve had to queue going in and when I’ve left there’s no queue, and vice versa. It’s all about timing as to whether you go out and see bunches of cars and people or the occasional car and people.
    As I've said before, I live on a main road and today, as has been the case on almost every day, there is little difference in the amount of traffic from what there was before the 'lock down'.  The boy racers are out again as well.
    I hope it is, but as I haven't been anywhere else I can't tell.
  • Options
    The reality is that while traffic may have crept up a bit over a couple of weeks ago, it is still well down on normal

And the lockdown has also created its own traffic, all that internet shopping has to get to your house somehow 
  • Options
    Surely plod can’t police mass rule breaking. 
    They tried & failed when we partied in fields & warehouses in 89/90s but 20/30 villagers shouldn’t be a problem but then again
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Your American boss is missing the point, the British people aren’t compliant, far from it, we’re a nation that if you push us we push back. What’s happening now is we are also a nation that’s got a history of collective achievement, of rallying around, that’s familiar with paying it forward to help somebody else because somebody else has helped us. We’re also a nation that has embraced innovation and been at the forefront of invention. The lockdown is is a novel experience. We are not being compliant, we are making the most of it.
    Righto. 
    Not convinced ? We live on a small island where you’re never more than 50 miles from the sea, the total population number is comparatively small and yet as a nation we consistently punch above our weight on the world stage. Definitely not a compliant nation.
    Small nation island - agree
    50 miles from the sea - no, I grew up in warwickshire and the nearest sea over 100 miles away
    total population at 65m comparatively small per nation but not by land mass
    consistently punch above our weight - generally agree given we have no land mass or barural resources if our own. Going backwards in recent years

nit a compliant nation - no not normally but are prepared to be more compliant in times of difficulty. 

Are you mixing distance to a seaside resort with distance to the nearest coast ? Looking at the map of the country it appears that everywhere has a section of coast that isn’t that far away 
    Just googled the question and it turns out that some place called Coton in the Elms in Derbyshire is the furthest place in the UK from the coast at 70 miles
  • Options
    Went out for a bike ride this morning. No too many cars but a fair few cyclists.

However, I live down on Romney Marsh and one of the few pubs here is serving beer with about 20-30 people in the beer garden. Large speakers setup to get into the party mood

Utter madness. 

Now at home listening to our nenighbours sociably distance by having a BBQ in their adjoining front gardens. 

Crazy and I’m keeping my distance from them all.

That is utter madness. I hope the authorities are aware. 
    The party will be over long before the day finishes, surely plod will be notified.
    The fact they are open and letting people congregate is bad enough, but to be actively encourage people by playing music shows no shame. 
    But plenty of ignorance and stupidity.
  • Options
    Just back from visiting my Dad's grave in Brook Street. 
    20 travellers with deck chairs having a bbq next to a grave. 

Much abused community but they don't help themselves. 
    ......putting it mildly.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You beat me to it.
    It is very quiet this evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Plenty of second home idiots turning up overnight in Cornwall with their families.  God help us when the children grow up with that kind of example of selfishness.
  • Options
    Plenty of second home pond life turning up overnight in Cornwall. Utter scum and their horrible brats.
    You seem lovely. 
  • Options
    Stood in a corner of the bus from shopping in Bromley keeping the social distancing guidelines.
    Another useless b****** then managed to plonk her a*** directly behind another passenger.
    Words fail me at times.
    That reads like the start of a Bob Dylan song.

• Options
    Plenty of second home pond life turning up overnight in Cornwall. Utter scum and their horrible brats.
    Isn’t Cornwall one of the poorest places in Western Europe @Wheresmeticket? ? If it wasn’t for those folks with second homes that county would have been finished off a long time ago. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Recycling centres at Footscray and Crayford open later next week, 6 and 3 cars respectively
  • Options
    Would be better if 2nd home owners stayed away but they are far from the main problem down here. There are scores of locals flouting the rules, no question.
  • Options
     Next door neighbour has his family round today for the.first time since lockdown began.
  • Options
    The issue for Cornwall is that they currently have a low level of C19, and people travelling from London (where there has been a very high level) is increasing the chance of locals getting the disease.
  • Options
    Would be better if 2nd home owners stayed away but they are far from the main problem down here. There are scores of locals flouting the rules, no question.
    The issue is that local health services can barely meet the needs of the local population.  There is one medium sized hospital in Cornwall, Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske.  In an area with a population of appx 350,000 there is no capacity in the system for thousands more people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Isn’t Cornwall one of the poorest places in Western Europe @Wheresmeticket? ? If it wasn’t for those folks with second homes that county would have been finished off a long time ago. 
    I was referring to people who have decided to travel to Cornwall despite this current emergency.  There is a discussion to be had about the benefits and drawbacks of having an influx of comparatively well-off people for a few months of the year and comparatively very well off people buying homes and inflating the local housing market and cost of living in an area of low wages and seasonal work, but this is probably not the place.
    Whereabouts in Cornwall were you born?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    I was referring to people who have decided to travel to Cornwall despite this current emergency.  There is a discussion to be had about the benefits and drawbacks of having an influx of comparatively well-off people for a few months of the year and comparatively very well off people buying homes and inflating the local housing market and cost of living in an area of low wages and seasonal work, but this is probably not the place.
    I wasn't born in Cornwall.  I've live and worked here for 15 years in the health service.  I currently live in Par, near St Austell.  How about you?  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Who sold them the houses in the first place?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    I wasn't born in Cornwall.  I've live and worked here for 15 years in the health service.  I currently live in Par, near St Austell.  How about you?  
    Ah, right. 

I was born in Loosham. But like you I've now fucked off somewhere nicer. War torn Syria.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Had a lovely catch up with our daughter and two beautiful grandchildren on our anniversary this morning. Neighbours watched in amazement as we maintained distancing across the garden gates which prevented our to young to know different granddaughter giving us a hug, it broke our hearts as she cried because mum told her grandma is to poorly and she may make her worse still. But we have cake, balloons our reasonable health and the thoughts we may be able to hug them again soon to keep us going. 
    I think I've got something in my eye...
  • Options
    Native Cornish are a pretty strange bunch in my experience.