Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    IdleHans said:
    I'm lucky enough to live within a couple of hundred yards of the Thames in Berkshire. My next door neighbour and I both have inflatable kayaks which are good fun on sunny days that we are having now, and a decent form of exercise.

He's planning on taking his out tomorrow, thinks it is a permitted form of exercise. I'd love to do the same, but my understanding is that all river activity is off limits at the moment so as not to put further strain on the NHS through getting into trouble. A real shame as it's perfect on the river now, especially with no motor boats, and it's as about an isolated form of physical activity as you can get. But I'll be doing the right thing and sitting in the garden rather than going for a paddle. I'm interested to see how he gets on though.

The news were interviewing a couple of RNLI rescuers (I think), who had to save a couple of kayak users in Cornwall.
    They were really angry as they have to have contact with people to save them.
    Their message was PLEASE STAY HOME.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I'm coming to the conclusion of you're following good social distancing rules then your chances of catching it are greatly reduced. So we're following that remit
    If people want to take chances then that's up to them.
     I'm fed up with getting all het up about it, o just hope I don't come into contact with them.
    Agree on your first part but I can't agree that if people want to take chances it's their decision. The best piece of advice I've heard during this is assume you are carrying it, the social distancing is to prevent yourself from infecting a much more vulnerable person than yourself. Unfortunately there are far too many who are far too selfish and could not give a flying one about anyone else. 
    Agreed. It's never just them if they are taking risks. It's completely selfish and unneccessary. 
  • Options
    Ice cream  van just visited our area, Monty python tune full blast, essential journey?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I'm lucky enough to live within a couple of hundred yards of the Thames in Berkshire. My next door neighbour and I both have inflatable kayaks which are good fun on sunny days that we are having now, and a decent form of exercise.

He's planning on taking his out tomorrow, thinks it is a permitted form of exercise. I'd love to do the same, but my understanding is that all river activity is off limits at the moment so as not to put further strain on the NHS through getting into trouble. A real shame as it's perfect on the river now, especially with no motor boats, and it's as about an isolated form of physical activity as you can get. But I'll be doing the right thing and sitting in the garden rather than going for a paddle. I'm interested to see how he gets on though.

The news were interviewing a couple of RNLI rescuers (I think), who had to save a couple of kayak users in Cornwall.
    They were really angry as they have to have contact with people to save them.
    Their message was PLEASE STAY HOME.
    I'm in the same boat @IdleHans...or not! 

Conditions have been amazing for kayaking for about 5 weeks now. Flat calm and totally benign almost every day. I'm within easy wheeling distance of the beach so no driving involved. There's more risk of me injuring myself and requiring medical assistance making a cuppa than taking a gentle kayak down to the pier and back.

But, although it would count as my permitted exercise, and legally I think its allowed, I'm resisting the urge because it's frowned upon, advised against by the RNLI and I'll just be adding to the sense of normality, which will encourage others to mess about on the water who don't have a clue what they're doing. I've seen a handful of kayakers, paddleboarders and swimmers out there though and it is very tempting!

Saw this geezer get "strong words of advice" from the Old Bill last week...but he was just lying in it sunbathing so had it coming tbf.

• Options
    Ice cream  van just visited our area, Monty python tune full blast, essential journey?
    Have Ice Cream vans been banned? Thought they were classified as takeaway and so allowed. 

The essential journey information is irrelevant. You can leave your home for work, 
  • Options
    Ice cream vans are an interesting one. On the face of it, it is ridiculous, but in reality it isn't much different from going and getting a cornetto from your corner shop, in fact, at least you aren't in an enclosed space. The amount of space in the corner shop near me, which I have to say has done a fantastic job for me during this pandemic, is so cramped that it is impossible to have any kind of social distancing!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Ice cream vans are an interesting one. On the face of it, it is ridiculous, but in reality it isn't much different from going and getting a cornetto from your corner shop, in fact, at least you aren't in an enclosed space. The amount of space in the corner shop near me, which I have to say has done a fantastic job for me during this pandemic, is so cramped that it is impossible to have any kind of social distancing!
    Yeah my local much the same. He’s letting no more then 3 in a time which is pushing it! 
  • Options
    There’s been no noticeable increase in people or traffic where I am in Somerset. That said, about 40 people held a demo in Glastonbury yesterday (including Piers Corbyn) apparently against the lockdown. 
  • Options
    Definitely more traffic and people near me in Yorkshire. Started seeing the difference around Wednesday and when on our walk yesterday we saw a shed load of cars out and about (6pm). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There’s been no noticeable increase in people or traffic where I am in Somerset. That said, about 40 people held a demo in Glastonbury yesterday (including Piers Corbyn) apparently against the lockdown. 
    I just don't get some people. Do they think the Government are just putting these measures in place for a laugh.

Piers Corbyn is that Piers Morgan and Jeremy Corbyns love child?
  • Options
    I just don't get some people. Do they think the Government are just putting these measures in place for a laugh.

Piers Corbyn is that Piers Morgan and Jeremy Corbyns love child?
    I think some people just have to protest about anything. They would probably have protested if no lockdown had been implemented. Imagine Christmas in the Corbyn household, when they were kids ? The tantrums ! 
  • Options
    I live on a main-drag in Gravesend, traffic noise definitely increased recently 
  • Options
    i know a lot of tradesman who are going back to work, because they can’t afford not to. They are (or so they tell me) social distancing at work and working safely.
  • Options
    Things definitely appear to have dropped a lot quieter again my way today 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Things definitely appear to have dropped a lot quieter again my way today 

Maybe there is an expectation that the lock down will begin to ease in the coming couple of weeks and there's a 'not long now' attitude developing. 'Be good for another couple of weeks and then we'll be rewarded with some freedom - be bad and we may not get that freedom'.
    There will be some announcements this coming week about what an easing might look like.
  • Options
    I don’t think I’ve  seen a policeman since the lockdown. South East London as far as I can see is traffic almost as normal. 
  • Options
    I am going to ease my neighbours power tool up his arse if he doesn’t stop it soon.

Carry On Films - Uncyclopedia the content-free encyclopedia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am going to ease my neighbours power tool up his arse if he doesn’t stop it soon.
    Now I know I don’t live anywhere near you but I did feel just a little selfish as was using my electric saw to cut down some overgrown bushes at what I guess must be next door neighbours young kids nap time.

But hey, they woke me up a couple of time’s in the night screaming away, noisiest kid ever heard at night and it doesn’t just go on for a few minutes it’s like half an hour each time; and she just gave birth 2 days ago to no2 arghh.

maybe if the got some rest in the day they’d be better 😂 
  • Options
    That'll sort his piles out.
  • Options
    I don’t think I’ve  seen a policeman since the lockdown. South East London as far as I can see is traffic almost as normal. 
    My mate (a copper) was in Greenwich Tesco last night and two staff were worried about a dodgy looking guy and thought they’d seen a knife. 

Two uniformed police turned up, Searched him, had a knife, a gun, explosive powder and a bag of nails.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    My mate (a copper) was in Greenwich Tesco last night and two staff were worried about a dodgy looking guy and thought they’d seen a knife. 

Two uniformed police turned up, Searched him, had a knife, a gun, explosive powder and a bag of nails.
    Bloody hell
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2020
    He was meant to join us for virtual Bongo Bingo as well
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Bummer
  • Options
    Where I am in Peckham Rye there has been a noticeable increase in cars on the road and foot and bicycle traffic in the last 7 days. the pavement nearly as buisy as before lock down. Also people seem to be less strict on social distancing, going around in small groups more. I policeman freind of mine thinks that south London is less strict on following the lock down rules than the boroughs north of the river.Looking out of my window now I feel he could be correct, one group who have ignored the lock down from the start are the extra strong larger and cider drinks that frequent many park benches even before lock down. there is a group of 4-5 that congrgate on the green opposite every morning they even share cans. 
  • Options
    WSS said:
    What, the bloke with the shooter?
    Tough game.
  • Options
    Everyone not following the advice will at some point contract the virus. Of course for many it will be mild and not life threatening. A proportion will have nasty symptoms and a few will die. The herd numbers will increase. Make no mistake before this is over many millions will have had the disease and a commensurate number will have been hospitalised and 1% +/- will have died. Even those of us doing what we are told are still at enormous risk of being infected. This virus will be impacting us for quite some time.