Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Vaccination Novak Djokovic

Comments

• Options
    there's no doubting his talent
    there's no doubting his devotion to the training and the physical rigour
    he's been luckier with injury than Nadal
    he's never had the balletic grace of Federer
    at their respective peaks Federer beats him on grass and Nadal beats him on clay
    much closer to call on the other surfaces
    their peaks were close together in time but don't overlap completely
    even for a professional athlete he's a weirdo - the anti vax stance ain't unheard of but for someone who's applied science to his physicality, training, recovery, etc, etc it is flat out delusional to choose that one bit of science to refute - he does seem sincere - despite how many people caught the virus at the covidiot tournament he staged
    he was a spiky character that few crowds took to earlier in his career but his conduct in the runup to last year's Aussie open is gonna remain a stain on his record
    his best is right up there with anybody's ever
    the relentless gamesmanship is tiresome

the notion of "G.O.A.T." is fatuous 
  • Options
    Not sure how you come to that conclusion but it's about subjective enjoyment of a players style as much as actually winning more matches.
    Popularity, public standing. 

In 20-50 years time people will still wax lyrical about Federer. Djokovic will be a footnote. 
  • Options
    Not sure how you come to that conclusion but it's about subjective enjoyment of a players style as much as actually winning more matches.

In 20-50 years time people will still wax lyrical about Federer. Djokovic will be a footnote. 
    Not sure I'd go that far, but he'll be a Sampras, remembered as brilliant but without the affection reserved for, say, Borg.
  • Options
    Results wise,Novak is the best ever,but the majestic way Federer covered the court and played those wondrous shots from both wings will never be matched.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Djokovic will certainly be the  most successful player, quite possibly ever as his record will take some beating. But Federer is still (for me) the best player, in as much as he was enjoyable to watch play and the art of it.

Djokovic is most likely going to be remembered as a fantastic player but rather less fondly as a person but his record speaks for itself. I don't much like him but I do respect his achievements.
  • Options
    Like or loath him, he is the best of all time. I enjoyed watching Federer more. Nadal was king on clay but Djokovic has now overtaken them in terms of grand slam sad. Probably the best.
  • Options

So, your opinion.  To which you have every right.  But being popular doesn't make you a great tennis player, and I found Federer nauseating towards the end of his career.  That's my opinion.
  • Options
    To an extent, the number of majors reflects longevity and fitness as much as talent. And the level of competition. Borg burnt out early, Laver wasn't able to play grand slams for a few years as he was a professional. Sampras wasn't good on clay, at a time when grass and clay court tennis were far more different to each other than they are now.

The likes of Nadal and Djokovic would never have won Wimbledon in the 80s and 90s when it was dominated by big serve volleyers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To an extent, the number of majors reflects longevity and fitness as much as talent. And the level of competition. Borg burnt out early, Laver wasn't able to play grand slams for a few years as he was a professional. Sampras wasn't good on clay, at a time when grass and clay court tennis were far more different to each other than they are now.

The likes of Nadal and Djokovic would never have won Wimbledon in the 80s and 90s when it was dominated by big serve volleyers.
    I miss serve volleyers, was something great to watch about it.

Appreciate it wouldn't work on the surfaces now etc!
  • Options
    Djokovic is the best player of all time if we judge things on results - his personality is irrelevant. A better player than Nadal or Federer regardless of their style or personality.

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    there's no doubting his talent
    there's no doubting his devotion to the training and the physical rigour
    he's been luckier with injury than Nadal
    he's never had the balletic grace of Federer
    at their respective peaks Federer beats him on grass and Nadal beats him on clay
    much closer to call on the other surfaces
    their peaks were close together in time but don't overlap completely
    even for a professional athlete he's a weirdo - the anti vax stance ain't unheard of but for someone who's applied science to his physicality, training, recovery, etc, etc it is flat out delusional to choose that one bit of science to refute - he does seem sincere - despite how many people caught the virus at the covidiot tournament he staged
    he was a spiky character that few crowds took to earlier in his career but his conduct in the runup to last year's Aussie open is gonna remain a stain on his record
    his best is right up there with anybody's ever
    the relentless gamesmanship is tiresome

the notion of "G.O.A.T." is fatuous 
    Agreed.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It's always subjective who is the GOAT but 23 Slams is a fantastic achievement in such a demanding Physical sport.
    Federer always looks so graceful especially at Wimbledon.
    Nadal was the king of Clay and he was a beast over the 16+ years.
    Djokovic is the best Competitor on all four Surfaces. Only man to have won 3 or more slams on all 4.

Andy Murray who was the best of the rest with SW for many years did well to win the US slam and a couple of Wimbledon's plus a couple of Olympic Golds and the Davis Cup.

Stan Warinka can be proud that he won all the slams other than Wimbledon; QF best, when Roger, Novak and Rafa were dominating Men's Tennis over 16+years.

• Options
    Djokovic for me is the greatest. 

Federer won 15 of his 20 titles by 2009 at which point he was 27 and before Djokovic really got going. 

Djokovic in his mid 30s is still smashing everyone. He's won 6 of his last 8 majors and he's now 36 years old. 

Djokovic also has a winning h2h record v both Federer and Nadal.
    Perfect summary. 
  • Options

Federer won 15 of his 20 titles by 2009 at which point he was 27 and before Djokovic really got going. 

Djokovic in his mid 30s is still smashing everyone. He's won 6 of his last 8 majors and he's now 36 years old. 

Perfect summary. 
    The main problem for Djokovic is people dislike him.
  • Options

Perfect summary. 
    Yep I know. 
    Federer may well have been easy on the eye. 
    But this isn't gymnastics or sycranised swimming. 
    You do not win points for artistic  rhythm or whatever. 
    23 slams means he is the 🐐. 
    Until someone beats that total he shall remain so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree. His decision highlighted the absurdity of the rules at the time.
  • Options

A footnote ?

this is the most ridiculous comment I have seen you post
    Is Djokovic a Spurs fan or something ?
  • Options

Perfect summary. 
    Yep I know. 
    Jimmy Connors is the GOAT according to this. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Perfect summary. 
    Yep I know. 
    Connors only has 8 slam titles.

Singles titles aren't the measure of greatness. Connors has 109 to Novak's 94.

I wonder if Connors would swap those minor singles titles for more slam titles.....of course he would.

You're either stretching or wumming.
  • Options

Perfect summary. 
    Yep I know. 
    Connors only has 8 slam titles.

Singles titles aren't the measure of greatness. Connors has 109 to Novak's 94.

I wonder if Connors would swap those minor singles titles for more slam titles.....of course he would.

You're either stretching or wumming.
    Is this a new fangled aerobic exercise regime?
  • Options
    That you still believe the vaccine stopped the spread of Covid and restrictions were correctly and scientifically applied to the unvaccinated, is odd.

Djokovic tried to play in Australia by circumventing utterly daft and politicised rules. Instead of attacking the daft rules and those who tried to make populist political capital out of the situation, most people seemed to prefer to attack Djokovic. It was clear that by this stage, the political bandwagon had become far too loaded for common sense to prevail, so a perfectly fit and healthy man who posed zero threat to Australia’s public health was prevented from playing in a tennis tournament. As mentioned above, the situation amounted to a perfect encapsulation of the absurdity of the rules that prevailed at that point in time. 
    I have just realised you are the same poster who made up some weird fanfic fantasy about the Mason Greenwood case where he was a victim of an elaborate honeypot operation by his girlfriend and now everything you have posted on this thread makes so much more sense. Enjoy your conspiracy theories. Just watch out for 5G, pretty sure it's a wizard!