Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Retirement Yann

124»

Comments

• Options
    I’ll always remember the pre match anticipation of the Yann era. Something was always going to happen, whether an audacious goal, a moment of skill miles ahead of everyone else, or some muscular dark arts like the the Beattie incident mentioned above.

A brilliant player and a proper Charlton legend. What might’ve happened if the club hadn’t drummed him out in favour of a player completely unsuited to English football?  

• Options
    Cant remember the game much but i think we were wining and ended up losing right at the end. after the final whistle Yann was standing in the centre circle utterly devastated. even as all the players and most of the fans had left the ground he was still there. i half expected when i came on this site the next day to be told that he was still standing there as no one dared to ask him to go home. 

The man is a Legend. When he left i was also utterly devastated. 
  • Options
    Cant remember the game much but i think we were wining and ended up losing right at the end. after the final whistle Yann was standing in the centre circle utterly devastated. even as all the players and most of the fans had left the ground he was still there. i half expected when i came on this site the next day to be told that he was still standing there as no one dared to ask him to go home. 

The man is a Legend. When he left i was also utterly devastated. 
    Pretty sure this was after drawing against Birmingham. We had absolutely battered them for the whole second half with Yann unplayable. He then got we we all thought was the winner with about 10 mins to go only for them to equalise right at the death totally undeservedly. I remember us throwing a few games away right at the end in this period (nothing ever changes eh..).

Yann is a Charlton legend and I cant think of many players so loved by all of us in my 25 years of going.
  • Options
    Yann's episode of Valley Stories is now live. A decent way to kill an hour! 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGbS3YK95U

Valley Pass: https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_gkm45syr
  • Options
    Thanks for that Olly. What a man. Hoping he’ll be back at the Valley soon for a heroes reception.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Great video to watch, thanks for this Olly

Painful watching when he answers why he left Charlton

Edit: Couple more bits, thought you asked some really good questions Olly - Was especially hoping you'd ask him about the difference between the atmosphere when he joined Charlton compared with when he joined Leicester (e.g. players not making him welcome etc.) - Certainly loved the ending when he really reiterated the fact that he'll come back to the Valley one day, you could tell that wasnt an empty promise - Just have a lot of man love towards Yann thats for sure!!
  • Options
    Stonking. But tell his missus to keep the fridge door closed to save energy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've been lucky over the years to have had players like Yann, word class? No, but like he said in the video, as fans all you expect from the players on the pitch is to give 100% for the shirt, he did that, like many others through the years (no i'm not thinking of you Reza!). 

I really believe that the Powell promotion winning side was as much about the character of the players we had as ability, thats so important.

Crazy to think it's 6 years ago he left yet only just retired, you reading this Roland! Too old my bl00dy backside.
  • Options
    10 years ago diary entry.
    Just seen Leicester go out to Cardiff in play offs. What was that bloke thinking doing the dinky penalty. 
    Who knew what set of events that would set off. 
    Yann one of the classiest players its been my pleasure to watch