Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Housing Developments in Kent

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/new-m20-junction-still-on-the-table-226492/ 

I've taken part in discussions about the use of agricultural land being used for housing and I know a lot of you don't believe this is happening. Here is one more example and the plans for the M20.  As if we haven't suffered enough disruption in the last 2 and a half years due to the work to create the Smart Motorway which is anything but smart.

Comments

• edited May 2020

Brilliant!

I live in Harrietsham, so less than a 5 minute drive away.

The A20 is bad enough as it is on most days during rush hour, let alone when there's roadworks.

• Good link SJ. Look out of the aeroplane window is always a point I make when people come out with this "tiny overcrowded island" nonsense. 

• That wasn't Stack, that was Brock I think. But this may be veering into House of Commoners territory...
  • aliwibble said:
    That wasn't Stack, that was Brock I think. But this may be veering into House of Commoners territory...
    Fair point.
    House of Commons territory.
  • In 20 years time there will be roughly another 8 million people in the UK
    Where are they going to live?
  • clb74 said:
    In 20 years time there will be roughly another 8 million people in the UK
    On all those empty flood plains. And guess what happens next  :/
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2020
    clb74 said:
    preferably abroad
    Plenty of land up your way to build on.
  • I remember watching a lunchtime debate show a few years back, and one member stated that if every property in the UK (minus land) were put back to back they would only fill the county of Kent...
  • I've taken part in discussions about the use of agricultural land being used for housing and I know a lot of you don't believe this is happening. Here is one more example and the plans for the M20.  As if we haven't suffered enough disruption in the last 2 and a half years due to the work to create the Smart Motorway which is anything but smart.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/new-m20-junction-still-on-the-table-226492/?fbclid=IwAR0mHr-pKHhNaqtHzLA8NTjkEzLocbmyrKKAI9lqRPMGtYFraA0Tvyr-HZ0
    Its happening all right, and I stated the same around where I live where villages that were 3 miles apart are almost joint together. Even had one idiotic poster think that was funny.
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    preferably abroad
    Plenty of land up your way to build on.
    and plenty of building being done on it, but not a lot of VERY well paid work to attract  all the highly paid high flying rich southerners ((:>) (except me and a few others)
     .. 700+ houses are to built within 3 miles of me and a lot more planning permission has been granted for more development .. main problem is the roads, sewers, schools, surgeries, hospitals and other facilities are not being built to cope with the influx .. in Grimsby itself there are lots of  semi derelict and overgrown 'brown field' sites  which should be developed first, they are left as rotting eyesores .. good farming land is being sold off for housing development.
     Many people from the East Midlands and further afield are attracted to the area because housing is relatively well priced. But I know a lot of people who live here and commute as far as e.g.Leeds, Nottingham for work (when they are allowed that is). This puts a strain on the roads and means LONG and tiring commutes. Better to build in the town centres and improve public transport to make commuting easier and more affordable and shops more accessible.
  • I remember watching a lunchtime debate show a few years back, and one member stated that if every property in the UK (minus land) were put back to back they would only fill the county of Kent...
    That's all those of us that live in Kent needs - why pick on us!!!!
    That's all those of us that live in Kent needs - why pick on us!!!!

Man of Kent myself mate......but as the black sheep moved away years ago....
  • Nimbyism. 

Everyone says that houses have got to be built......but not near where I live.

First time I've seen that plan for Lenham Heath. Looks ok at first viewing  but only if they built the extra junction off the M20. I dont agree with farm owner who said the houses would be bought by commuters going into London, although I do agree that more affordable housing needs to be built.

As it stands there is a development planned where I live in Borough Green. Lots of people up in arms but I'm all for it. We need hundreds of thousands of new homes to be built  and unless you are going to build in the Highlands of Scotland or in the Brecon  Beacons then they will have to be built on green belt land near current urbanisation. 
    I suppose those commuters can't afford to live in London.
  • edited May 2020
    seth plum said:
    Nimbyism. 

First time I've seen that plan for Lenham Heath. Looks ok at first viewing  but only if they built the extra junction off the M20. I dont agree with farm owner who said the houses would be bought by commuters going into London, although I do agree that more affordable housing needs to be built.

As it stands there is a development planned where I live in Borough Green. Lots of people up in arms but I'm all for it. We need hundreds of thousands of new homes to be built  and unless you are going to build in the Highlands of Scotland or in the Brecon  Beacons then they will have to be built on green belt land near current urbanisation. 
    I suppose those commuters can't afford to live in London.
    Dont think there would be much difference in price for a house in Lengam to one in Dartford, Borough Green or many other towns & villages just outside the M25. Probably more expensive if it is a new build.
  • Dartford isn't really London though.

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Dartford isn't really London though.

Average house price in Dartford is around £300,000. 
  • edited May 2020
    That's bad enough. 10 to 12 times average pay.
    £270,000 borrowed over 30 years on an interest only mortgage at a 2% rate is a repayment of £450 a month I believe.
    In order to own the house after 30 years you have to pay an additional £750 a month.
    So essentially it is around £1200 a month in housing costs alone in Dartford if you've saved up £30,000 deposit and you want to own the property after 30 years.
    What is the average take home pay?
  • Nimbyism. 

Affordable housing, which now actually means part buy part rent. Only a percentage of the property is affordable to you with a mortgage and you have to rent the rest from a company. Strange definition of "affordable" in my eyes. 
    And it appears to me they're trying to prove it! 
  • Good link SJ. Look out of the aeroplane window is always a point I make when people come out with this "tiny overcrowded island" nonsense. 

UK population density 281 people per square KM
    Portugal population density 111 people per square KM
  • edited May 2020
    Good link SJ. Look out of the aeroplane window is always a point I make when people come out with this "tiny overcrowded island" nonsense. 

When did you last visit Kent @Algarveaddick ?
  • I'll preface this by saying I work in the planning industry. As a country we have an enormous housing shortage and new houses are not being built at the rate required to meet the shortfall. When you factor in sustainability, in many cases it makes sense to build near existing urban areas - not as far to travel , better public transport etc. A blanket removal of the green belt is not the right way to go, but a review of the land within the green belt is needed. The green belt doesn't necessarily mean the land within it is green, ecologically important of even nice to look at. Unfortunately the idea of a green belt review is political suicide but in my opinion would unlock a lot of sustainably located land for development
  • jams said:
    I'll preface this by saying I work in the planning industry. As a country we have an enormous housing shortage and new houses are not being built at the rate required to meet the shortfall. When you factor in sustainability, in many cases it makes sense to build near existing urban areas - not as far to travel , better public transport etc. A blanket removal of the green belt is not the right way to go, but a review of the land within the green belt is needed. The green belt doesn't necessarily mean the land within it is green, ecologically important of even nice to look at. Unfortunately the idea of a green belt review is political suicide but in my opinion would unlock a lot of sustainably located land for development
    Hear  hear
  • seth plum said:
    That's bad enough. 10 to 12 times average pay.
    £270,000 borrowed over 30 years on an interest only mortgage at a 2% rate is a repayment of £450 a month I believe.
    In order to own the house after 30 years you have to pay an additional £750 a month.
    So essentially it is around £1200 a month in housing costs alone in Dartford if you've saved up £30,000 deposit and you want to own the property after 30 years.
    What is the average take home pay?
    A 30 year mortgage of 270k at 2% interest rate is £998 a month.

To rent a decent 3 bed in Dartford you'd pay more than £1k a month.