Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Housing Developments in Kent

Comments

• Options
    Regarding your first point, it wasn't a reference just to the Lenham application.

Fair enough - you picked a poor example in your original post then. 

Every town in Kent IS experiencing massive growth -there are many developments everywhere. Can you name me a town in Kent where there are not new developments

Biggin Hill. 

Marden is right in the middle of Kent and the railway line I believe doesn't have direct links to London. The A229 wasn't built to take the amount of traffic is does now, let alone the huge increase that will result if a further 5K dwellings are built.

As I stated, I was referring only to the Lenham development that you highlighted. There are direct trains to London from Marden.  

Your agreement that wild animals need protection demonstrates that people associate 'species' with just animals. It is not only 'creatures' which need protection, ALL species be they plants, birds, insects or animals need protection. Biodiversity is essential and if we lose species from the food chain, there are severe consequences. 

I agree that all species need to be protected. I shall adjust my question accordingly: Are there rare species being destroyed by this development?     
    Biggin hill is in the London borough of Bromley. 
    We back to that old "Borough v Postcode" thing then?  :D

In your opinion, is every town in Kent experiencing massive growth, as stated?   
    Can I ask where in Kent you are currently residing?

This thread is about Housing Development in Kent and is not exclusively about the development Lenham. Threads evolve and each reference does not necessarily relate to the very first post. 

You are nitpicking @Algarveaddick
  • Options
    I am a bit ME14, you are right. But I am also making a few valid points... 

I'm in Biggin Hill. 
  • Options
    Regarding your first point, it wasn't a reference just to the Lenham application.

Every town in Kent IS experiencing massive growth -there are many developments everywhere. Can you name me a town in Kent where there are not new developments

Biggin Hill. 

Marden is right in the middle of Kent and the railway line I believe doesn't have direct links to London. The A229 wasn't built to take the amount of traffic is does now, let alone the huge increase that will result if a further 5K dwellings are built.

As I stated, I was referring only to the Lenham development that you highlighted. There are direct trains to London from Marden.  

Your agreement that wild animals need protection demonstrates that people associate 'species' with just animals. It is not only 'creatures' which need protection, ALL species be they plants, birds, insects or animals need protection. Biodiversity is essential and if we lose species from the food chain, there are severe consequences. 

I agree that all species need to be protected. I shall adjust my question accordingly: Are there rare species being destroyed by this development?     

I have no idea I haven't looked. 

But my point regarding Biggin hill is this.
    If you require the police you will get the metropolitan police not the Kent constabulary. 
    Same thing with the fire brigade and the ambulance service. 
    When you pay your rates you are paying a London borough and not Kent county council. 

I just think that using Biggin hill as an example is slightly unfair. 
  • Options

Biggin Hill. 

I have no idea I haven't looked. 

But my point regarding Biggin hill is this.
    If you require the police you will get the metropolitan police not the Kent constabulary. 
    Same thing with the fire brigade and the ambulance service. 
    When you pay your rates you are paying a London borough and not Kent county council. 

I just think that using Biggin hill as an example is slightly unfair. 
    Okay - I stand corrected.

• Options
    On a lighter note Algarve it's a shame we are in lockdown as there are a couple of decent pubs in Biggin hill and it would have been nice to meet up for a pint or two. 
  • Options
    It is a shame mate. One day maybe... 
  • Options
    ME...those people would have a different view if it was happening on their doorstep...
  • Options
    ME...those people would have a different view if it was happening on their doorstep...
    Yes, Biggin Hill couldn't be more different from Maidstone.
  • Options
    I couldn't think of a worse place to put a load of new houses than Marden, I thought the same about Langley but they have stuck a load there with no improvement to transport infrastructure, health or schools

Lordswood is already a pain in the arse, I am leaving earlier and earlier in the morning to deal with the M20 to do what should be a 35 minute journey. (pre lockdown I should say) 

The solution is to make use of the thousands of derelict homes elsewhere in the country and possibly look to bring industry and manufacturing back to the UK but too many influential people have financial interests in London so they will just keep cramming people into Kent 
  • Options

Talking b@llocks Chippy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just finished 25 flats opposite me with parking for 17
  • Options
    directly opposite the old gasworks.
    And they are loiking to develop flats/houses there.
  • Options
    Its also as you said chippy most people only worry about it if its on there doorstep.
    I suppose those in Kent would quite happily  see more flats go up in Bromley if it didnt affect them

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Its also as you said chippy most people only worry about it if its on there doorstep.
    I suppose those in Kent would quite happily  see more flats go up in Bromley if it didnt affect them

No me old china...and I wasnt talking about you...so you jumped the gun.....engage the old brain first...
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Well thats a greater distance than the houses opposite and next to me ?????
  • Options
    Lewisham is on my doorstep. Quite a lot of recent developments.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Christ, weren’t built for their aesthetic features were they 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

They look like rabbit hutches.
  • Options
    The architect who designed those should be forced to live in them for the first ten years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    looks like one of the self storage places. 
    That's a good description. How could anyone think they look good.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

No me old china...and I wasnt talking about you...so you jumped the gun.....engage the old brain first...
    Sorry Chippy I just think the majority of us only worry about the areas we live in.
    We have a growing population and a housing shortage, no one really wants to see large swathes of areas built on.
    What's the solution though?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

They look like rabbit hutches.
    Was over there earlier.
    No bigger than a rabbit hutch , 1 bed £340000
    Above the front door, you can see the toilet door.
    If the occupant decides not to shut the door you can watch them having a pony.

• Options
    Blimey. This thread.

• Options
    Addickted said:
    The architect who designed those should be forced to live in them for the first ten years.
    These flats have been beautifully transformed.
  • Options
    This is where the oldish Ladywell/Lewisham swimming pool used to be.
    Pop-up modular housing solution is no more than a sticking

This is round the corner where the Ladywell police station and very old baths used to be (became Ladywell play tower for a while)
    The proposed development.

Ladywell Playtower Residential  PRS Architects
  • Options
    Hopefully decent affordable accomodation for the health workers at nearby Lewisham Hospital.
  • Options
    The ones on the swimming baths are just temporary though (I think they're actually prefabs), to be used as emergency accommodation until all the planning stuff for the site has actually gone through. The old police station site was redeveloped about 5 years ago, and I can't remember what proportion of the development if any was designated as affordable, but the sale prices even back then are somewhat depressing.
  • Options
    I'm not comfortable with the large growth in housing in the South East on open land BUT it is a direct consequence of the growing population, which in recent years has been heavily driven by immigration. If you support uncontrolled/high levels of immigration (which is a perfectly legitimate position) you also need to accept that a lot of the extra houses needed will be on nice land as there simply aren't the brown field sites available in the South East, where many want to live, and the alternative of "densification" of urban areas is also unpopular - we don't want massive blocks going up on every spare scrap of land. 

We also desperately need to spread the economic development across the country too. 
  • Options
    Population growth is a global phenomenon.
    There is no reason to suppose that the growth would not affect local areas.