Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Refunds on any flights you had

Comments

• Addickted said:
    Brian said:
    ROTW said:
    In view of the trouble I have had with PayPal, and the positive responses on here from BA, I know where I would consider the issue lies
    Initially BA were very helpful and I have tried to be very understanding but with Paypal refusing to say that they had received the money and without proof from BA that they sent it, I can only contact BA and ask for proof of payment. Its frustrating as neither of them want to be very helpful and I am £465 down. 

Not being funny, but why on earth would you pay for a holiday by PayPal and not use a credit card?
    Was going to post exactly the same.
  • ChiAddick said:
    Anyone had any luck getting refunds via booking.com on bookings that didn't have free cancellation?
    We contacted the villa direct and they wanted to offer us the opportunity to re-book. We contacted booking.com who contacted the villa to request a refund but no response. I have chased, but still no response. We aren't adverse to going to the same place, hopefully next year, but would far prefer a refund for now as, along with the many unknowns, I have no idea when I'll be able to take leave as we have minimum manning levels and everyone will have leave they're going to want to take 
    Thank you for the reply. Similar situation to me. I'll give booking a chance to reply but I'll look into resolver. Cheers.
  • edited May 2020
    Booked flights in February with Ryanair to/from Cork for end of April/early May. Once flights were cancelled you couldn't use the flight numbers on the refund page. Eventually got an email offering a voucher or refund. Got a refund application accepted. Then got an email with "my voucher". Refused it. Their excuse for not paying up is that their staff are working from home and they can't use on-line banking. They claim it could take 6 months to sort. CAA threatening to put sanctions on the airlines.
  • cafc4life said:
    Was due to be going to Rome in July for a Euro 2020 game. Hotel and flights booked through last minute.com as a package. Any ideas where we stand in terms of money back etc?
    Have you got an ATOL certificate? If it is a "package" certificate then all of the package is protected ie if one component can't be fulfilled, you will get a refund on the full value of the package. This is the benefit of booking a package rather than individual (and independent) parts...
  • Addickted said:
    Brian said:
    ROTW said:
    In view of the trouble I have had with PayPal, and the positive responses on here from BA, I know where I would consider the issue lies
    Initially BA were very helpful and I have tried to be very understanding but with Paypal refusing to say that they had received the money and without proof from BA that they sent it, I can only contact BA and ask for proof of payment. Its frustrating as neither of them want to be very helpful and I am £465 down. 

Not being funny, but why on earth would you pay for a holiday by PayPal and not use a credit card?
    I consider myself reasonably savvy  but am kicking myself as I booked my flights on my debit card not my credit card . Must have had a brain freeze 
  • holyjo said:
    Addickted said:
    Brian said:
    ROTW said:

I consider myself reasonably savvy  but am kicking myself as I booked my flights on my debit card not my credit card . Must have had a brain freeze 
    You can still do charge backs with a debit card.
  • ChiAddick said:
    Anyone had any luck getting refunds via booking.com on bookings that didn't have free cancellation?
    We contacted the villa direct and they wanted to offer us the opportunity to re-book. We contacted booking.com who contacted the villa to request a refund but no response. I have chased, but still no response. We aren't adverse to going to the same place, hopefully next year, but would far prefer a refund for now as, along with the many unknowns, I have no idea when I'll be able to take leave as we have minimum manning levels and everyone will have leave they're going to want to take 
    I've just raised a case via Resolver (which is in association with MoneySaving Expert)
    Unfortunately the villa are insisting the policy of our booking does not allow cancellation, they will let you change the dates of your stay. We don't want to re-book at this stage and we aren't cancelling as such, but cannot travel due to flights being cancelled and the policies of the UK and Spanish governments. I have re-iterated this. If this doesn't work I will try the credit card charge-back option. And it this doesn't work will consider travel insurance or just try and re-book some time inthe future and hope they don't go out of business

Anyone got any advice re 'cancellation'? Villa booking through booking.com but the villa are saying we are cancelling and refute my claim we aren't cancelling such as cannot go due to the Spanish and UK governments policies and our flights being cancelled
    Have you booked the villa as part of a package (including air travel) or independently? If the latter, then in theory the villa owner is able to say that the villa is available as per the contract - the fact that you cant get their isn't their problem (however, in the current climate my understanding is that most are playing ball). If when you come to go you are aren't able to travel due to FCO advice, then you should have a claim against your travel insurance.
    I have found out that there is a mistake with the cancellation policy! There is a link on the originla email I was sent when I booked that takes you to another screen where you can view the policies and it says something completely different. I have offered to send the origonal email and/or a screen shot but they keep ignoring this and just repeating I have requested to cancel and won't get a refund! I have just taken a video of what happens when you click on the links and what comes up. I have the bit between my teeth and am not giving up!
  • Addickted said:
    Brian said:
    ROTW said:

Inexperience, I know now it would have been better to pay by credit card. I have used Paypal for a number of purchases but usually pretty small ones. Clearly I won't do so again. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I applied for a refund/vouchers from BA, and the denied the booking reference was correct. I then sent them the email they sent me originally, with the booking reference. That was three weeks ago. Have heard nothing since. 
    Maybe someone from BA is on CL because hey presto, got a DM on Twitter offering me a full refund 👍
  • Took a kick in the knackers by cancelling my July holiday on the day the balance was due and losing my deposit. Before anyone says I am lucky to be able to afford to do that, I can't. It is a huge blow to my finances and I was desperate to discuss the situation - and options - with TUI as per an email from them but they did not answer one of my calls.
     At least I have the balance in my pocket rather than theirs and can control my own destiny re getting away on holiday later this year or next year (hopefully).
     A lot of tour operators have dodged their responsibilities by reneging on their obligation to repay monies within 14 days if they cancel your holiday. What other tricks do they have up their sleeves? Will their credit notes be worth anything? What if a rebooked holiday is cancelled? How long will it take ATOL/ABTA to sort out this mess?
     I believe it is morally wrong for tour operators to ask for the balance of a holiday which, realistically, is not going to take place in July.
     My only (slight) consolation is that after many years of being a loyal TUI customer is that that will never get another penny off me.
     In the meantime I will sadly have to count my losses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have EasyJet flights booked for August, and certainly not expecting to be able go. My understanding is that the flight companies are only cancelling about a week before so nothing I can do before then. 

EasyJet have advised I can change at no cost but I will need  to book  August 21 /September 21 and these flights have not been released yet. If they were to be honest that’s what I would.

I have a Private booking for the accommodation and thankfully they are being very understanding up until now.

My concern is the countries will start to allow flights but you will have to go into quarantine for 14 days on arrival which is of no use for most of us looking for a fortnight holiday but the airlines will be able to say well the flight went your choice not to be on it and not need to provide a refund.

Personally don’t think it will be safe to travel for sometime yet and the health and well-being of everyone should be the main concern, not sure that is the case TBH.
  • I see this morning Ryanair are resuming 40% of their flights to places like Spain and Portugal on July 1st. Just happens that our flight to lanzarote is on July 1st. Not sure what to do 
  • edited May 2020
    I see this morning Ryanair are resuming 40% of their flights to places like Spain and Portugal on July 1st. Just happens that our flight to lanzarote is on July 1st. Not sure what to do 
    not an easy one ... we have booked to go to Lanzarote in September and we are doubtful about that ... much will depend on whether or not the travel restrictions to and from the UK are relaxed ... even then, I am not convinced I will feel safe to go. 
  • You don't want to go and find everything is locked down and then get quarantined when you get back.
  • edited May 2020
    BFG94 said:
    Took a kick in the knackers by cancelling my July holiday on the day the balance was due and losing my deposit. Before anyone says I am lucky to be able to afford to do that, I can't. It is a huge blow to my finances and I was desperate to discuss the situation - and options - with TUI as per an email from them but they did not answer one of my calls.
     At least I have the balance in my pocket rather than theirs and can control my own destiny re getting away on holiday later this year or next year (hopefully).
     A lot of tour operators have dodged their responsibilities by reneging on their obligation to repay monies within 14 days if they cancel your holiday. What other tricks do they have up their sleeves? Will their credit notes be worth anything? What if a rebooked holiday is cancelled? How long will it take ATOL/ABTA to sort out this mess?
     I believe it is morally wrong for tour operators to ask for the balance of a holiday which, realistically, is not going to take place in July.
     My only (slight) consolation is that after many years of being a loyal TUI customer is that that will never get another penny off me.
     In the meantime I will sadly have to count my losses.
    We were booked to go to Tenerife in March but had the holiday cancelled by the travel ban.

Last week, Her Indoors, managed to finally get through to TUI after 21 calls where it was engaged. She then waited in a queue for an hour before getting through to a TUI person. After the usual " we can offer you vouchers and £500 off your next holiday" cobblers, she finally managed to get TUI to agree to a full refund. The TUI person said that should be back on the credit card by the end of this week. We shall see and I shall update with any developments. 

EDIT: and as if by magic....the TUI refund has appeared! I'm not happy that they've pissed people about (even allowing for staff being off with Covid) and have tried to keep money in their coffers that people may well have needed badly. But I am happy that they've now stuck to their word and paid up. Would I use them again? Probably only if they offered a mega-attractive deal on a holiday, although time is a great healer I guess! 
  • Wondering whether to book a villa in southern France for September. Not sure of the chances of it goong ahead but can cancel up until a month before. France looks a better bet than elsewhere and there is the flexibility of driving and taking the train as well
  • edited May 2020
    4 cancelled flights all refunded by British Airways. One of these flights I only booked last Thursday (very optimistically), cancelled on Saturday and money back with me today having rang them up on Sat. Class service based on my experience, didn't try and push the vouchers or delay getting money back to me at all.

BA seem to be proactively cancelling flights a couple of months in advance - I have a flight to Italy with easyjet mid June which is still showing as happening. They are offering the free change of flights, but no option of refund unless officially cancelled, hence they are delaying that til last min it feels like
  • Wondering whether to book a villa in southern France for September. Not sure of the chances of it goong ahead but can cancel up until a month before. France looks a better bet than elsewhere and there is the flexibility of driving and taking the train as well
    Essential travel ?

The European Union's executive Commission is to propose a gradual lifting of borders in an attempt to kick-start a tourist industry hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

"Our message is we will have a tourist season this summer," said economic affairs commissioner Paolo Gentiloni, "even if it's with security measures and limitations."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52644816

Essential travel ?
    Of course not. Couldn't go now but might be able to go by September if the TA allows. Wouldn't go if not allowed of course and risk assess if we are. Would need to make a decision a month before to cancel with no penalty
  • Sponsored links:

• Had flights booked Doha to Bangkok through Qatar Airways, and then onto Sydney with Qantas (return). Qatar Airways was fairly straightforward, 1 phone call, then offered either a voucher for the full amount +10% or a full refund. Qantas took a bit more effort, 7 hours all in over 3 skype calls... redirected to Cape Town offices etc... but eventually got a full refund minus fees, but took over 6 weeks for the refund.
  • booking.com have now admitted that it was a 'system error' that meant a link to the policy of being able to cancel my accommodation up until 24 hours before with no penalty being included in the email I received when I booked it. I went back and said that was their fault not mine and they had to honour it. The said someone would respond to my last comment within 24 hours but they haven't, so I chased it but still no response. Seems like they are now ignoring me
  • edited May 2020
    Over past couple years heard a few horror stories about BA, we went Mexico  with them last year and our flight got cancelled whilst on the tarmac (problem with cargo door) waiting to take off, 4 hours on the plane and then hussled off it with promise of hotel for the night and flight rearranged next day.
    Got of plane and was in hotel (on sue at gatwick) with £100 food vouchers each within 1hr.
    Everything went to plan the next day and obviously missed a day of our holiday. Everyone got £800 refund I think and some were refunded whilst they were still in Mexico.

Pretty class service and and I'd deffo use them again especially reading the posts on this thread. 
  • Another plaudit for BA. We went to San Fransisco with them in Feb. BA also arrange transport from the airport to our hotel, but between booking and the holiday date, the transport company went bust. BA didnt inform us and we traipsed around the airport for an hour looking for this non extinct company. Upon returning to the UK, I complained to BA, who acknowledged the problem was their fault and offered us £100 compensation, which exceeded the extra cab costs that I had incurred.
  • clive said:
    Wondering whether to book a villa in southern France for September. Not sure of the chances of it goong ahead but can cancel up until a month before. France looks a better bet than elsewhere and there is the flexibility of driving and taking the train as well

The European Union's executive Commission is to propose a gradual lifting of borders in an attempt to kick-start a tourist industry hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

"Our message is we will have a tourist season this summer," said economic affairs commissioner Paolo Gentiloni, "even if it's with security measures and limitations."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52644816

Don't understand why borders within the Eu have been closed anyway.
    Infringement on the rights of free movement.

should have been closed to non EU countries only surely.....
  • I hope others are getting better outcomes than I am with booking.com. I have tried using Money Saving Experts Resolver, which worked with BA, and various different email addresses because they won't reply to me. They did for a while but when I provided evidence of an error in their cancellation policy on the email they sent me to confirm my booking which meant I was due a full refund, they admitted it was a 'system error' and then have refused to reply any further - unacceptable behaviour from a global travel company!
  • Money refunded in a day for May flights with BA so have been impressed.

Still waiting for a refund on our hotel booking for April holiday, hotel was booked with Lastminute.com.  Over 4 weeks now that they agreed to refund.  Am getting nervous, though they say it will come.  If it doesn't get refunded will i be able to claim on my credit card? 
  • We have fully paid for a holiday on 1 July with Tui. I was hoping for some communication and options but it looks like I am going to have to chase them. Will give it another few days.
  • So day 63 with p and o cruises told 45 days then 60 days.
    Done a chargeback for the shore excursions  on day 61 on debit card.
    Bank re funded me the money and will investigate the claim.
    Tomorrow will chargeback for the cruise if not received.
  • Curb_It said:
    Money refunded in a day for May flights with BA so have been impressed.

Still waiting for a refund on our hotel booking for April holiday, hotel was booked with Lastminute.com.  Over 4 weeks now that they agreed to refund.  Am getting nervous, though they say it will come.  If it doesn't get refunded will i be able to claim on my credit card? 
    I am going to try one more time with booking.com including the CEO's email (a method that has been successful in the past). Otherwise if booking.com refuse to respond or cretae a complaint I could call again (but I don;t think that will get me anywhere) or go to my credit card company eith all the different evidence