Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    Watching all the videos of the world cup final and it's like why didnt Stokes just smash that last ball out the ground. Waist high full toss. Just smack it.

Like I know the logic.

But WHYYYYY?!?!??! 
    He said it was because he felt that if it was airborne there was a chance of getting out. He new if he played it safe, along the floor, then he knew that they would get one & tie the match.....maybe get 2 and win, but definitely backed them to at least take it to a super over.
    Thats the logic and I get it. But still - WHYYYYYYY?!?!
    You do realise that we won 😂
    So much stress though. obviously its amazing we won and the way we did it. But rewatching it brought back all the feelings and I couldn't help but be annoyed at that!

• Options
    Ballance made himself unselectable by the fact he went away and did zero work on his technique and just came back and got out exactly how everyone got him out before. Complete waste of time for everyone. I think that really fucked off the selectors that he’s fucked up his chances now.
    Ballance has much better stats than Denly, even bearing in mind that his Test average is distorted by his Bradmanesque early numbers

Test average - 37 vs 30 
    FC average - 47 vs 36

But then one of the reasons Denly was called up in the first place was as an additional spin option for subcontinent pitches, even if he is a better white ball bowler
  • Options
    Ballance made himself unselectable by the fact he went away and did zero work on his technique and just came back and got out exactly how everyone got him out before. Complete waste of time for everyone. I think that really fucked off the selectors that he’s fucked up his chances now.
    Ballance has much better stats than Denly, even bearing in mind that his Test average is distorted by his Bradmanesque early numbers

Test average - 37 vs 30 
    FC average - 47 vs 36

But then one of the reasons Denly was called up in the first place was as an additional spin option for subcontinent pitches, even if he is a better white ball bowler
    Stats don’t tell the whole story. Ramprakash was brilliant at county level, pony at test, hick was brilliant at county and average for England. It’s not how much runs you’ve got in your career, it’s how well you’re able to adapt to test cricket. Ballance simply couldn’t adapt his game. In contrast some one like Crawley has adapted their technique quite a bit since coming into the test team. 
  • Options

Test average - 37 vs 30 
    FC average - 47 vs 36

Stats don’t tell the whole story. Ramprakash was brilliant at county level, pony at test, hick was brilliant at county and average for England. It’s not how much runs you’ve got in your career, it’s how well you’re able to adapt to test cricket. Ballance simply couldn’t adapt his game. In contrast some one like Crawley has adapted their technique quite a bit since coming into the test team. 
    With Ramps (and to an extent Hick) it was the mental side of Test cricket where they struggled.

Crawley is at the start of his career so still improving (in both FC and Test cricket), but it's very early to say whether the likes of him and Sibley are likely to be Test players for a long time.
  • Options
    England rest  @jimmy9 & @MAWood33 for the 2nd Test. @CurranSM is added to the squad alongside Sussex seamer Ollie Robinson, who gets his first call-up to the senior squad.

England will pick their final XI from the following. 

Root, Archer, Bess, Broad, Burns, Buttler, Crawley , Curran, Pope, Robinson, Sibley , Stokes, Woakes. 
  • Options
    Two huge calls to drop England's greatest-ever wicket taker and England's fastest bowler.  But they're probably both right (and I suspect those decisions had already been made before the First Test). 

I would bring in Woakes and Broad for those two.  But, for me, the question is the batting order.  Who bats at three, four, five and six?  I suspect it will be Crawley, Root, Stokes, Buttler.  Which is maybe not a great message for Pope.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Two huge calls to drop England's greatest-ever wicket taker and England's fastest bowler.  But they're probably both right (and I suspect those decisions had already been made before the First Test). 

I would bring in Woakes and Broad for those two.  But, for me, the question is the batting order.  Who bats at three, four, five and six?  I suspect it will be Crawley, Root, Stokes, Buttler.  Which is maybe not a great message for Pope.  
    Why will pope not bat at 6? Have I missed something
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The usual Chizz contrarianism
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chizz said:

That's easy for you to say.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chizz said:

I prefer Chizz antidisestablishmentarianism
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chizz said:

That's easy for you to say.
    I had to Google it ffs 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chizz said:

I prefer Chizz antidisestablishmentarianism
    You wat 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

He will. 
  • Options
    I appreciate that almost all of us have been banging on about Buttler being replaced by Foakes but the dropping of Blackwood when he was on 20 proved to be another expensive one. Difficult to believe that the selectors will be brave enough but my changes would be Root for Denly, Foakes for Buttler and Broad for Wood.
    Agree with this. I would also consider Woakes for Anderson. Lats time Jimmy played back to back tests (in SA and there was actually an extra days break between those two) he broke down in the first innings. The fitness team will be monitoring but he is another one I would seriously consider playing every other match given 6 matches in 7 weeks.
    Called the resting of Jimmy! Someones listening to me.
  • Options

Test average - 37 vs 30 
    FC average - 47 vs 36

Being a bit premature re Crawley but I hope he continues to do well 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

He might
  • Options
    Chizz said:

He might
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

He might

You can say that again.
  • Options
    Archer has breached the teams isolation rules and will not play!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    According to Rob Key Archer must have left the hotel and gone somewhere else - or someone managed somehow to get into the hotel to see him.
  • Options
    And even more stupid, however unlikely, of Archer if it transpires that he has Covid as a result of this transgressions because that will be the end of this series.
  • Options
    According to Rob Key Archer must have left the hotel and gone somewhere else - or someone managed somehow to get into the hotel to see him.
     Some cracking detective work from Key there!
  • Options
    Big chance for Ollie Robinson now. Taken plenty at county level for Sussex , interested to see how he'd go at international level 
  • Options
    Ollie Robinson (the bowler) may make his debut - last season he was playing for Bickley in the Kent League when not required by Sussex.

In fact, I think that Kent can claim that he is another player produced by them given that he was born in Margate and came through the Kent system until his stepdad, Paul Farbrace, took him to Yorkshire when the latter became coach at that county.

• Options
    gotta be a bird
  • Options
    I think it's more likely to be Woakes, Broad and Curran in though.

At least we've got decent options at the moment! 
  • Options
    gotta be a bird
    Absolutely 
  • Options
    Here's a question - when was the last time that England changed three bowlers let alone three fast bowlers in consecutive Tests of a series?

PS I don't know the answer so no point asking me!
  • Options
    I think it's more likely to be Woakes, Broad and Curran in though.

At least we've got decent options at the moment! 
    Very samey swingers though, id say Ollie Robinson is the one with height, which along with his pace is what jofra brings to the table