Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    Holder has to come out NOW. Don't send that joker Blackwood in, take responsibility
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    England can't lose by 1 run

Speaking of trolls, always fun to see how John Campbell approaches his professional wind-up job of comedy opener
    Ok clever clogs.......Windies win by 1 run. 

Which isnt the same I know, but you are trying to dismiss a very clear point. Why, I have no idea.
    That isn't possible either
  • Options
    51-3 

The decision to bat in these conditions is biting us in the posterior! 
    But will hopefully be more than evened up by WI batting on day 5.
    27-3 & Campbell off injured atm. 
  • Options
    oof, WI's turn to have a ridiculous stroke of luck from the umpires/Hawkeye
  • Options
    First captaincy fail from Stokes here for me: taking off Bess. Unless he's switching ends. Has to bowl more or less from here on out
  • Options
    Today's action definitely confirms that England made the wrong call at the toss. Yes there are a few demons in the pitch, but it was far harder on Wednesday and Thursday AND it's not as if the ball has turned square for Bess
  • Options
    Bess has looked quite threatening though. Loss of nerve to take him off. Am sure he was close to forcing a breakthrough
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I daresay that's the last time he bats at 8, because it's the last time they waste a spot on professional joker Jermaine Blackwood
    Sorry lads
  • Options
    Denly brought into the attack with 20 runs needed. Takes 6-1 and wins SPOTY
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Holder has to come out NOW. Don't send that joker Blackwood in, take responsibility
    Leuth said:
    The joker Blackwood who is 88no?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whoops!
  • Options
    TBF, this innings has been an absolute coming-of-age for the lad; all of the WI fans were calling for his head after the first innings!
  • Options
    I couldn’t resist. I would have been confident in getting him out before this Innings bowling medium pace under arm
  • Options
    Fair play the Windies. 
    Thourghly deserved victory 
  • Options
    Taking Bess off pivotal imo. English captains don't trust spin
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Taking Bess off pivotal imo. English captains don't trust spin
    Very true. 
    But most of the time I can't blame them
  • Options
    What really strikes me though is that Bess was creating chances and not getting collared. How often does a spinner have a huge say on the last day? And instead he put Anderson on when it wasn't moving around
  • Options
    Well done Windies. Really sets up this series as well, a real battle was exactly what cricket needed
  • Options
    I appreciate that almost all of us have been banging on about Buttler being replaced by Foakes but the dropping of Blackwood when he was on 20 proved to be another expensive one. Difficult to believe that the selectors will be brave enough but my changes would be Root for Denly, Foakes for Buttler and Broad for Wood.
  • Options
    We lost the Test before a ball was bowled.

If Stokes had bowled first & selected  Broad not Wood I think we would have won.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we should pick bowlers because of how they bowl, but it was notable how much longer our tail is with Bess, Archer, Wood and Jimmy as the bowlers when compared to previous England teams with the likes of Moeen, Sam Curran or Woakes
  • Options
    I appreciate that almost all of us have been banging on about Buttler being replaced by Foakes but the dropping of Blackwood when he was on 20 proved to be another expensive one. Difficult to believe that the selectors will be brave enough but my changes would be Root for Denly, Foakes for Buttler and Broad for Wood.
    Agree with this. I would also consider Woakes for Anderson. Lats time Jimmy played back to back tests (in SA and there was actually an extra days break between those two) he broke down in the first innings. The fitness team will be monitoring but he is another one I would seriously consider playing every other match given 6 matches in 7 weeks.
  • Options
    Agree with this. I would also consider Woakes for Anderson. Lats time Jimmy played back to back tests (in SA and there was actually an extra days break between those two) he broke down in the first innings. The fitness team will be monitoring but he is another one I would seriously consider playing every other match given 6 matches in 7 weeks.
    Not picking Jimmy for his home Test would be a brave move, though there will be more Test matches at OT later in the summer. In addition to Woakes and Broad there are plenty of bowling options amongst the reserves who've been kept on in the bubble, and thus are available for selection. Indeed not sure why we need 7 additional seam bowlers

James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Olly Stone (Warwickshire)
  • Options
    They’re different types of bowlers though, Mahmood and stone are genuine quicks, Overton and Robinson are tall hit the deckers and Curran is an all rounder. 
  • Options
    Not picking Jimmy for his home Test would be a brave move, though there will be more Test matches at OT later in the summer. In addition to Woakes and Broad there are plenty of bowling options amongst the reserves who've been kept on in the bubble, and thus are available for selection. Indeed not sure why we need 7 additional seam bowlers

James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Olly Stone (Warwickshire)
    Aren't the next two matches both at OT? Would be brave to play Jimmy in 3 tests back to back so I would bet he misses one of them. For me the safest option would be to have him miss the next test and play the 3rd.

There was a bit of discussion on sky about England coupounding their selection mistake in the next test as OT is generally quicker and bouncier and would suit Wood more but he gets dropped for Broad who would have suited the first pitch better. Would probably bring Wood back for the 3rd test.
  • Options

Aren't the next two matches both at OT? Would be brave to play Jimmy in 3 tests back to back so I would bet he misses one of them. For me the safest option would be to have him miss the next test and play the 3rd.

There was a bit of discussion on sky about England coupounding their selection mistake in the next test as OT is generally quicker and bouncier and would suit Wood more but he gets dropped for Broad who would have suited the first pitch better. Would probably bring Wood back for the 3rd test.
    No, the 3rd Test is back at Southampton. The Rose Bowl is ideally suited to lockdown cricket as it's so remote!

I agree that the 1st Test choice looks a bit flawed.
  • Options
    Sorry, it's the Pakistan series which has 2 consecutive Tests at the Rose Bowl

It will be much harder for the players to maintain their social bubble at OT, as it's in an urban area, it will be grim if they have to stay in their hotels all day
  • Options
    that double duff decision to bat on winning the toss bit Stokes (if it was really his decision) squarely in the balls
    All Silverwood's spirit crushing dreary horseshit about "we've got plans for each batter" and "we want to play a certain type of test cricket" just so much predictable empty bollocks
    "Plan for each batter" evidently bowl both sides of the wicket throughout and when WIndies are chasing a small target push the field back early doors giving them easy singles on both sides cos we're cacking it already and setting fields for all the bad balls we're expecting- gobbledegook wank.
    Add to that missing 4 routine chances in WIndies 2nd innings alone and we have the tame defeat to a very moderate opposition in under 4 days play.
    WIndies have some pace in their attack but only Holder has real control of lateral movement so opting to bat on a warm dark damp day with more of the same forecast for day 2 then followed by 3 fine days was just moronic.
    Always set out to do the last thing your opponent wants you to, nope Stokes/Silverwood rolled out the red carpet and offered up precisely what Holder/Simmons wanted at almost every turn.
    With Captain Cretin back in harness this week I'm expecting more of the same.
    The 1st test should have been in the bag by c.o.p Friday with England well on their way to an unassailable first innings lead, having shot out WIndies for 80 or 90.
    Hopefully the skill and determination of the likes of Crawley, Anderson and Burns might provide a bigger obstacle to WINdies success. 
  • Options
    that double duff decision to bat on winning the toss bit Stokes (if it was really his decision) squarely in the balls
    All Silverwood's spirit crushing dreary horseshit about "we've got plans for each batter" and "we want to play a certain type of test cricket" just so much predictable empty bollocks
    "Plan for each batter" evidently bowl both sides of the wicket throughout and when WIndies are chasing a small target push the field back early doors giving them easy singles on both sides cos we're cacking it already and setting fields for all the bad balls we're expecting- gobbledegook wank.
    Add to that missing 4 routine chances in WIndies 2nd innings alone and we have the tame defeat to a very moderate opposition in under 4 days play.
    WIndies have some pace in their attack but only Holder has real control of lateral movement so opting to bat on a warm dark damp day with more of the same forecast for day 2 then followed by 3 fine days was just moronic.
    Always set out to do the last thing your opponent wants you to, nope Stokes/Silverwood rolled out the red carpet and offered up precisely what Holder/Simmons wanted at almost every turn.
    With Captain Cretin back in harness this week I'm expecting more of the same.
    The 1st test should have been in the bag by c.o.p Friday with England well on their way to an unassailable first innings lead, having shot out WIndies for 80 or 90.
    Hopefully the skill and determination of the likes of Crawley, Anderson and Burns might provide a bigger obstacle to WINdies success. 
    This was such a good post until the captain cretin comment then it got silly! 

Roots captaincy is improving, or are you blaming him for the defeat despite him not being involved?

You really expect England to skittle teams for 80-90 every game? If England bowled first, I expect the Windies would have made a similar score to England, maybe a tad lower.