Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• Options
    WI have kept Aizarri Joseph on for about 3 overs too many here
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Bit disappointed with Crawleys shot 
    .if bat had come down straight he would have hit it ..hope it's a fault he can iron out 
    Agree that it was disappointing but believe it was possibly shot selection rather than a technical issue. In his head he should have been thinking "play in the V" as much as possible especially early on. He chose to clip a ball where his front foot was virtually outside off stump and only showing the edge of the bat to the bowler in the process. As you say, had he played straight and offered the full face of the bat, the ball would have gone through mid on - ironically an area where there wouldn't have been a fielder and the shot would probably him resulted in a boundary.

Denly has that technical fault, on the other hand, of planting that front foot and leaving a massive gap at times and this seems far more ingrained and not something that, at the age of 34, he will possibly find easy to rectify. 

These batsmen have got where they have got by scoring a certain number of runs. Not necessarily "enough" runs and Test cricket is so much a different animal to County First Class cricket let alone the limited over game. The former isn't a good enough preparation nowadays for Test cricket because counties do not face the best bowlers in the world as they would have done 30 or so years ago. The latter game leads batsmen down roads where they can freely score runs because very often there isn't even one slip let alone four of them and it is all about run rates - infinitely better to get 25 off 12 balls than 40 off 40. And counties are, from a financial perspective, under more pressure to produce a successful white ball side than a red one hence the constant emphasis on "scenario batting" - first power play, middle overs, last 10 overs etc etc. 
    Maybe we are both right..shot selection exposed a technical issue.its clear,like a lot of players in the era of more forgiving bats,that his bottom hand takes over ..
  • Options
    204 all out

A very useful 31* from Bess. The fact that 7 of the top 8 reached double figures makes the overall total rather disappointing.

But, as they say, you can't tell what a good score is 'til the other side has batted. I just hope that we bowl line and length in these conditions and don't get drawn into bouncing their batsmen out because, generally speaking, that is what Holder and Gabriel did. Create pressure, let the ball do the talking and let them make the mistakes.
  • Options
    WI have a world-class batsman at #8

Trouble is, he's their best batsman
  • Options
    Damp overcast conditions with plenty of rain stoppages. 
    Surely win the toss and bowl 
  • Options
    Aggers, Tuffers et al wittering away the day in the lengthy rain breaks at Southampton while WIndies shoot out England in a session and a half
    Not even a session and a half 67 overs FFS - lightweight pisstaking wankers - and the windies dropped Stokes twice!
  • Options
    England still favourites to win for me. WI need a lead of over 100 for me to think otherwise
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    England still favourites to win for me. WI need a lead of over 100 for me to think otherwise
    Totally agree. 
    Windies all out for less than 250.
    We bat well 2nd innings and win.
  • Options
    Seven balls in and they still haven't saved the follow-on.  We're all over them. 
  • Options
    I know it’s county level umpires, but they haven’t been very good this test match. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank goodness for 3 reviews per side because our Umpires haven't covered themselves in glory to date.

That's at least 4 decisions that the Windies have managed to get turned over via reviews
  • Options
    Kettleborough and Illingworth are international umpires!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Kettleborough and Illingworth are international umpires!
    They are but they haven't been terribly good bearing in mind, particularly, that they have "Umpire's Call" on their side. As I say, the 3 review system helped the situation because the Windies might not have been quite so inclined to review with only 2 of them.
  • Options
    I suppose to be fair to them, the Umpires are probably a bit rusty after the long layoff!
  • Options
    Make that 5 decisions overturned
  • Options
    Anderson might just beat up Campbell if this is overturned
  • Options
    There was really no need for Illingworth to jump up and down and shout "YES" when that decision was confirmed as correct!
  • Options
    There was really no need for Illingworth to jump up and down and shout "YES" when that decision was confirmed as correct!
    Yes, it was totally unnecessary as it upset his guide dog
  • Options
    Curtly talk to no-one Ian Ward. Good stuff
  • Options
    57-1 as play finishes early. the Windies will resume in better conditions tomorrow
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    57-1 as play finishes early. the Windies will resume in better conditions tomorrow
    WI reach 350 for 8 by 5:45 tomorrow put England in for 35 minutes til the close of play and wrap the match up in time for lunch on Saturday.
  • Options
    51-3 

The decision to bat in these conditions is biting us in the posterior! 
    Yeah, who would have thought that dank & wet conditions would help the bowling side. And just for good  measure when the WIndies re-start their innings there is nothing but good weather for the next 3 days.

Stocks is a plank.
  • Options
    WI reach 350 for 8 by 5:45 tomorrow put England in for 35 minutes til the close of play and wrap the match up in time for lunch on Saturday.
    I'm surprised they are not starting at 10.30am & finishing at 7pm. Lost around a days play & only making up 30 mins at the end of the day. Bonkers.
  • Options
    I'm surprised they are not starting at 10.30am & finishing at 7pm. Lost around a days play & only making up 30 mins at the end of the day. Bonkers.
    They can play until 7.30 I believe.
  • Options
    Well we didnt bowl particularly well. 

Not only is this the wrong selection of bowlers (as I said before the match) it's also like they didnt watch the Windies bowl at all. We need to pitch it about a foot further up the pitch and bring the stumps into play.
  • Options
    Jason Holder should make a statement today and stroll out at 4 or 5 
  • Options
    LOL nice one Jofra
  • Options
    Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.
  • Options
    That's a really good catch.
  • Options
    Another Hopeless shot