Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley threatening EFL ahead of Disciplinary action for Wednesday, Derby & Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    I think they will relegate them and that’s why they are waiting. 
    Why wait though? Can just order an automatic relegation right now to Wednesday and state only the bottom 2 will be relegated normally. 
    If the EFL plan to relegate them outright, the delay might be because it is a punishment applied to a team after the season ends and, although highly unlikely, in theory Wednesday could still sneak into the playoffs, so if the EFL announce that they are relegated, there is an outside chance that they then get promoted on the pitch, which means the EFL will have made a judgement on a Premier League team, which I would imagine they have no jurisdiction to do.
    As soon as Cardiff, Swansea, Derby or Preston are 100% out of Wednesday’s reach, they could announce it.

If they issue a points deduction, that applies to this season, so could’ve been announced anytime.

Just a thought.
    They can only get 64 points which is currently sixth place. I would bet my house & everything I have to say that the teams currently in 6th  7th, 8th & 9th are going to get more more than that. I expect some are even playing against each other & therefore they cant all not get more than 64 points.

Yeah, I’d bet my bottom dollar too. But it’s possible.
    For example, I just put a bunch of convenient results in to get this final table:

I did say it’s unlikely, but I would understand if the EFL wanted to be 100% sure.
    Pleased to see that your random results got us up to 15th!
    And Millwall get only 1 more point in their last 4 matches  :D
    I hope they get 3 today!
    If we've learned anything over the last eight days it's that we can only rely on the Spanners for one thing: to stuff us up.

I'm expecting an easy Hull win. :(
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wednesday, like Wigan will surely get their points deduction the moment they're mathematically safe prior to the deduction

E.g. Give them both the points deduction now and they go down regardless then they've each escaped punishment

At the moment Wednesday are 10-pts clear of Hull with nine points to get

They cant go down without a deduction now so its safe to give them the punishment as from today as it'll be earnt this season rather than ineffective in League One next season
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wednesdays 'punishment' is hardly befitting the crime. Theyre 2 up at qpr,seemingly playing well and even with a 12 point deduction now,would only be 3 points from safety. Cheats do prosper after all🤷‍♂️
    I think they'll stay up regardless if they get a 12-pt deduction!! - Is why the nine points should be suspended

They've got that little bit of quality that the other relegation fighters dont quite have
  • Options
    The queue for clubs trying to get into EFL tribunals is longer than the one I witnessed at Tescos when toilet rolls were flying off the shelves!

And both queues are trying to cover up the sticky stuff!

• Options
    Wednesdays 'punishment' is hardly befitting the crime. Theyre 2 up at qpr,seemingly playing well and even with a 12 point deduction now,would only be 3 points from safety. Cheats do prosper after all🤷‍♂️
    I think they'll stay up regardless if they get a 12-pt deduction!! - Is why the nine points should be suspended

They've got that little bit of quality that the other relegation fighters dont quite have
    Better still ...

Automatically relegate the cheating furkers this season, give them a 12-point penalty to start next season to (hopefully) stop them bouncing back at the first attempt, and have a suspended 9-point penalty to be triggered if they find themselves on the naughty step again.

If you don't have a suitable deterrent unscrupulous owners will roll the dice again and again, hoping to get away with it.
    But only announced AFTER they've already beaten Huddersfield and Boro...
  • Options
    With all the ownership charade resurfacing (if it really went away) I hope administration and a 12 point deduction isn’t coming our way. Or worse we get relegated then it happens and we start league 1 on -12. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brian said:
    With all the ownership charade resurfacing (if it really went away) I hope administration and a 12 point deduction isn’t coming our way. Or worse we get relegated then it happens and we start league 1 on -12. 
    The way English football has been allowed to be run for last few years, this is going to become normal every season. 2 or 3 clubs in each division will start the season on minus points and a further 2/3 clubs will receive deductions throughout the season for various offences/administration.
  • Options
    Brian said:
     I guess when we start defaulting on payments/wages we'll see some action in that area.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    HEAD OF MEDIA AND PUBLIC RELATIONS

EFL House, Preston

35 hours per week £45,000 per annum, dependent on experience + benefits

The Head of Media and Public Relations will manage a medium sized team focused primarily on disseminating the EFL's narrative and boosting the profile of the organisation through media and PR activities. This role will also have a strong focus on the planning process across the two disciplines, ensuring that opportunities are maximised and that all activity is co-ordinated both internally and externally.

The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following essential requirements;

1. A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior Media and PR or Communications role, managing a small to medium sized team.

2. A thorough understanding of the Media and PR industries.

3. A thorough understanding of the Football industry and the EFL and its member Clubs. 4. Experience of external affairs.

4. Experience in project management.

5. Experience in crisis communications is essential.

6. The ability to generate ideas, challenge the status quo whilst considering organisational limitations.

7. Previous experience of trusted relationships with sporting and media stakeholders.

9. The ability to engage a team and deliver results.

10. Excellent interpersonal skills including proven experience of influencing individuals and decision makers at all levels.

11. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.

12. Proven experience of effective communication planning and the development and activation of media and PR plans.

13. The ability to create, manage and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.

14. A track record for meeting and exceeding goals within strict timeframes in a pressurised environment

15. The ability to plan and think strategically alongside reporting on successes and challenges.

16. Pro-active approach to day to day issues.

The EFL is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion or belief(s), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or with regards to pregnancy or maternity.

For a full job description and application form, please visit www.efl.com.

Completed application forms should be returned to jdexter@efl.com.

Closing Date: Friday 24th July, 5.00pm. Interview Date: Tuesday 28th July, via Microsoft Teams

Not sure what essential requirement 8 is.
    Not gonna get a decent PR for £45000
    who’d want to be spin doctor for a morally bankrupt cadre of risible fuckwits anyway? You’d need a passion for futility 
  • Options
    Expectations of what EFL will do about any of this blatant chicanery and how long they’ll kick cans down roads and into long grass have to be set on the same scale as we had for 🐀💩‘s delusional rambling at the nadir of his Charlton catastrophe. EFL is as crooked as 🐀 is crazy
  • Options
    Brian said:
    The way English football has been allowed to be run for last few years, this is going to become normal every season. 2 or 3 clubs in each division will start the season on minus points and a further 2/3 clubs will receive deductions throughout the season for various offences/administration.
    They'll be happy to punish small to middling clubs that way but I bet it's a different set of rules for the big boys.
    But you aren't likely to see any of the big clubs going into administration.

Leeds probably the biggest club it happened to and they started a season on -15.
  • Options
    Squeaky bum time at the EFL, do they make a decision or not?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think I've ever seen the words Charlton and bum raped in a sentence.... However, I get the very well made point...

The EFL are the beginning, middle and end of the whole problem... They're like a cancer that should be cut out.

Thing is nobody has the balls to do it which is why we are probably watching a time limited sport in footy... It can't survive and in ten years or sooner it will just be Premier league games... Everthything else will be non league. 
  • Options
    Don't think I've ever seen the words Charlton and bum raped in a sentence.... However, I get the very well made point...

The EFL are the beginning, middle and end of the whole problem... They're like a cancer that should be cut out.

Thing is nobody has the balls to do it which is why we are probably watching a time limited sport in footy... It can't survive and in ten years or sooner it will just be Premier league games... Everthything else will be non league. 
    I think that is too pessimistic. I am hoping that reality hits home. A wages cap in Championship and the leagues below is essential IMO. That does not have to be set at a level that means each and every club can afford 20 players on that wage. It is a cap not a minimum wage.

Not complying with the rules must have automatic penalties, like the rule on administration.

The EFL would have a lot less issues to deal with if punishments were transparent and immediate. Sitting around trying to decide penalties for this and mitigation for that is a nonsense. They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and money investigating.

Take SW. The punishment should be (Say) 25 points - with published mitigation for a small amount (Less than (say) £20m) of 5 points. Mitigation for putting your hands up to it of between 0-5 points. Double for a repeat. 

Take us. New owners to provide evidence to satisfy fit and proper within 14 days of purchase or transfer embargo. 5 points deducted for every 7 day period beyond that. 
  • Options
    I'll repeat what I said a few days ago about the EFL, they only have the powers the clubs give them, and the clubs aren't going to give them the powers as it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. Not giving them the powers allows clubs to take the piss, with the easy scapegoat of the EFL. 

If they had the powers, then great, but they don't, pretty much the only way to do it is an Independent regulator for the sport, and no government is going to fund it or do the legislative work, and the clubs will cripple it by not giving it the resources to do its job.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I think that is too pessimistic. I am hoping that reality hits home. A wages cap in Championship and the leagues below is essential IMO. That does not have to be set at a level that means each and every club can afford 20 players on that wage. It is a cap not a minimum wage.

Not complying with the rules must have automatic penalties, like the rule on administration.

The EFL would have a lot less issues to deal with if punishments were transparent and immediate. Sitting around trying to decide penalties for this and mitigation for that is a nonsense. They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and money investigating.

Take SW. The punishment should be (Say) 25 points - with published mitigation for a small amount (Less than (say) £20m) of 5 points. Mitigation for putting your hands up to it of between 0-5 points. Double for a repeat. 

Take us. New owners to provide evidence to satisfy fit and proper within 14 days of purchase or transfer embargo. 5 points deducted for every 7 day period beyond that. 
    I guess the problem with caps is that they need to be in proportion to income, and that's only something you can judge several months after the season has finished

For example Leeds have far larger crowds and commercial income than say Luton or Wigan, so should be able to spend a lot more on wages
  • Options
    Caps are fine in centralised revenue or closed sports where there is little or no movement. Rugby does it by effectively limiting a players ability to play for their country, which is a restraint of trade, but gets away with it, Rugby League does it, but limits the sport geographically. There are other ways to save money, there is no need for the League 1 and 2 to be National Leagues anymore for example
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I guess the problem with caps is that they need to be in proportion to income, and that's only something you can judge several months after the season has finished

For example Leeds have far larger crowds and commercial income than say Luton or Wigan, so should be able to spend a lot more on wages
    Which is why it likely will never work in football.

It's different in the NFL or NBA where the stadiums are all fairly similar sizes, there's no promotion or relegation, and there's a player draft. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Doesn't seem to be that much of a problem. Just set the cap as a proportion (say 50% or 60%) of turnover for the last financial year.  
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Jints said:
    Redrobo said:

Doesn't seem to be that much of a problem. Just set the cap as a proportion (say 50% or 60%) of turnover for the last financial year.  
    Indeed. The Deloitte report on football, which I think is the report that gave us the most recent stats on wages, pointed out that a 70% cap was required to support sustainability.  Implementing it would be the challenge.