Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs can reopen from 4th July

Comments

• Options
    We will claim 50% of ur food (& soft drink) bill up to £10 per person so u spend £20 we get £10 back , u spend £10 we get £5 , u spend £30 we claim the £10 maximum
    You receive the discount at point of purchase & retailer gets it back within 5 days
  • Options
    Kinda off topic but I must say the decision today to pay 50% of people’s food bills in pubs & restaurants in august is about the stupidest thing they have done so far financially regarding COVID-19 measures, this will have the arse ripped out of it no end & is about as good to the public as the vat cut : fucking useless.
    Ive supported the gov as much as I can & appreciate that not all measures fit well for everyone one but these two measures will cost a bomb & have very little impact to the man (or woman!) on the street ,similar to the stamp duty deal. 
    Waste of time, money & effort.
    Wow. That's an unexpected response from a pub owner when the BBPA have been calling for a reduction in the VAT rate for years - as recently as this week. The industry was crying out for something to be done and now it is.

I'm not a follower of any political party. But as someone with a good deal of professional knowledge in this area, it seems to me that this type of thing is almost EXACTLY what the industry has been saying it wants.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Kinda off topic but I must say the decision today to pay 50% of people’s food bills in pubs & restaurants in august is about the stupidest thing they have done so far financially regarding COVID-19 measures, this will have the arse ripped out of it no end & is about as good to the public as the vat cut : fucking useless.
    Ive supported the gov as much as I can & appreciate that not all measures fit well for everyone one but these two measures will cost a bomb & have very little impact to the man (or woman!) on the street ,similar to the stamp duty deal. 
    Waste of time, money & effort.
    Wow. That's an unexpected response from a pub owner when the BBPA have been calling for a reduction in the VAT rate for years - as recently as this week. The industry was crying out for something to be done and now it is.

I'm not a follower of any political party. But as someone with a good deal of professional knowledge in this area, it seems to me that this type of thing is almost EXACTLY what the industry has been saying it wants.
    Any cut in vat will not be passed on to the customer so it will only benefit the business owner , obviously this could be claimed will safeguard jobs & to some extent it will but more of the vat cuts will just go to company profits & as for the 50% back on your food bill there is one very big hole in their thinking that will cost the taxpayer a fortune.
    And as someone with a great deal of professional knowledge in this area you will surly see EXACTLY who will benefit most
  • Options
    As an owner for sure I will gain but what’s good for me isn’t necessarily what’s good for the country
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Why do you say the VAT cut wont be passed on? I know of businesses who will focus their marketing campaign on the very fact that the VAT saving IS being passed on.

Of course some businesses may choose not to pass it on, or only pass on some of it, but even then it goes towards helping some of those smaller businesses stay afloat and go towards protecting jobs, which is surely no bad thing? 

It's what the industry wanted, at least in part.
  • Options
    if the government want to give the economy a short term boost, they should pay everyone’s council tax bill for two months. That would give the average household cash to do as they please.....do up the garden, buy a new garage door, spend it in Wetherspoons, save the cash for the second wave.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Why do you say the VAT cut wont be passed on? I know of businesses who will focus their marketing campaign on the very fact that the VAT saving IS being passed on.

Of course some businesses may choose not to pass it on, or only pass on some of it, but even then it goes towards helping some of those smaller businesses stay afloat and go towards protecting jobs, which is surely no bad thing? 

Ohh I see so all those places are busy reprinting the thousands of pounds worth of disposable menus & advertising to change the prices by 15% are they and they are paying the company’s that control their new apps to change all the prices , I can focus a marketing campaign based on this too & just tell the customer it’s all 15% cheaper than it was going to be.
    there will be a lot more that don’t pass it on than do , the majority of this saving will end up in company profits 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Ohh I see so all those places are busy reprinting the thousands of pounds worth of disposable menus & advertising to change the prices by 15% are they and they are paying the company’s that control their new apps to change all the prices , I can focus a marketing campaign based on this too & just tell the customer it’s all 15% cheaper than it was going to be.
    there will be a lot more that don’t pass it on than do , the majority of this saving will end up in company profits 
    Isn’t the point that a lot of these places won’t be making profits? I thought the hospitality sector was on its knees?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:

Isn’t the point that a lot of these places won’t be making profits? I thought the hospitality sector was on its knees?
    The industry was on its knees before lockdown but the pub companies were still posting profits, the state of the hospitality sector is not in doubt what I doubt is wether this saving will help the right people within the sector or the man on the street
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:

Think the last line refers to a different type of the hospitality industry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Considering the hospitality industry provides nearly 10% of all employment in the UK, surely keeping these people in jobs for the next few months while the industry recovers is better for the taxpayer no?
  • Options
    Considering the hospitality industry provides nearly 10% of all employment in the UK, surely keeping these people in jobs for the next few months while the industry recovers is better for the taxpayer no?
    Yes it would be but a 6 month vat reduction won’t achieve this on any meaningful scale
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Who were the Conservative party pictured with to celebrate pubs opening? 

Was it a locally owned pub? No it was Tim Martin. 

All these deals are with him in mind to pocket millions. 
  • Options
    Yes it would be but a 6 month vat reduction won’t achieve this on any meaningful scale
    Don't apply it then. Pay more than you need to if you have the spare cash and are that worried about it.
  • Options
    if the government want to give the economy a short term boost, they should pay everyone’s council tax bill for two months. That would give the average household cash to do as they please.....do up the garden, buy a new garage door, spend it in Wetherspoons, save the cash for the second wave.
    If people then use it to buy a Netflix subscription or buy stuff on Amazon that won't help preserve jobs in the hospitality sector
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Don't apply it then. Pay more than you need to if you have the spare cash and are that worried about it.
    If I don’t apply it I will be making 15% more?
  • Options
    If people then use it to buy a Netflix subscription or buy stuff on Amazon that won't help preserve jobs in the hospitality sector
    Quite right & maybe the time & money should have been sent devising a tax scheme to make these companies pay proper uk tax 
  • Options
    What do you think would have been the right move @Spitfire76 ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Not my forte so I’m not sure & i know it’s easier to pick holes & find problems than find solutions.

I think with this kind of giveaway I’d rather it start at the bottom of the chain & work its way up so the money is in the hands of people who can choose where to spend it and the profits work there way up the chain rather than give the power to the top of the chain (the companies) & hope they pass it down.

The vat cut last time he cut it from 17.5% had little impact & at the end he whacked it up to 20% so I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens again , then you have the issue of 6 months down the line places having to put their prices up 15-20% when the cut ends & that’s quite a whack to the customer on his pint overnight so places will have to take the hit & put them up gradually if they ever put them down at all.

My issue with the 50% deal is there is a very big loophole leaving it wide open to fraud.

The 10-25k grants they have given were in no way means tested & largely given without  application so businesses that saw increased trade during lockdown still got them & didn’t need them.

It just doesn’t seem to be anything helpful long term & with all the financial measures there is no safeguards against business owners trousering the cash & not passing it on in the way it’s intended.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Not my forte so I’m not sure & i know it’s easier to pick holes & find problems than find solutions.

I think with this kind of giveaway I’d rather it start at the bottom of the chain & work its way up so the money is in the hands of people who can choose where to spend it and the profits work there way up the chain rather than give the power to the top of the chain (the companies) & hope they pass it down.

The vat cut last time he cut it from 17.5% had little impact & at the end he whacked it up to 20% so I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens again , then you have the issue of 6 months down the line places having to put their prices up 15-20% when the cut ends & that’s quite a whack to the customer on his pint overnight so places will have to take the hit & put them up gradually if they ever put them down at all.

My issue with the 50% deal is there is a very big loophole leaving it wide open to fraud.

The 10-25k grants they have given were in no way means tested & largely given without  application so businesses that saw increased trade during lockdown still got them & didn’t need them.

It just doesn’t seem to be anything helpful long term & with all the financial measures there is no safeguards against business owners trousering the cash & not passing it on in the way it’s intended.
    The point of the changes is surely to get people in the door. If Restaurant A slashes its prices but Restaurant B keeps the savings, I know which one I'll go to. And may continue going to afterwards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

The point of the changes is surely to get people in the door. If Restaurant A slashes its prices but Restaurant B keeps the savings, I know which one I'll go to. And may continue going to afterwards
    But in February restaurant A has to put its prices up 15% but restaurant B doesn’t.

The price of food and drink at least around my way varies so much from place to place unlike the old days where it might have been pence different now you pay pounds more from one to the next , I can get a pint of premium larger for £4 in my town I charge £5 but one place is £5.80.
    I can get a sirloin in a Wetherspoons for £10 but I’m £16 and another is £25 , the running costs determines a lot more of the price than the product so to judge who has cut & who hasn’t is quite tricky especially as most have been shut for 4 months & all prices have gone up since they were last open, if my customers ask me if there pint will be 15% cheaper I can just say yep it already is it would have been 15% dearer than I just charged you.
    Some customers will just drink in the cheapest place & im ok with that as they are not what I’m after but most will happily pay more if in a different setting.
    I can advertise everything is 15% cheaper to get people in the door but how would they know if it is?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

But in February restaurant A has to put its prices up 15% but restaurant B doesn’t.

The price of food and drink at least around my way varies so much from place to place unlike the old days where it might have been pence different now you pay pounds more from one to the next , I can get a pint of premium larger for £4 in my town I charge £5 but one place is £5.80.
    I can get a sirloin in a Wetherspoons for £10 but I’m £16 and another is £25 , the running costs determines a lot more of the price than the product so to judge who has cut & who hasn’t is quite tricky especially as most have been shut for 4 months & all prices have gone up since they were last open, if my customers ask me if there pint will be 15% cheaper I can just say yep it already is it would have been 15% dearer than I just charged you.
    Some customers will just drink in the cheapest place & im ok with that as they are not what I’m after but most will happily pay more if in a different setting.
    I can advertise everything is 15% cheaper to get people in the door but how would they know if it is?
    I think the idea is that, without this, Restaurant A might not exist in February. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I think the idea is that, without this, Restaurant A might not exist in February. 
    I think if that’s the case this will just put off the inevitable & that’s it , a stay of execution for a few businesses that will cost a bomb.
    I won’t be changing my prices to reflect the vat cut but then last time I didn’t raise my prices when the vat rate increased ,
    Getting the price point right is vital for any business and I won’t be fluctuating mine +/-15% on the whim of the gov but I don’t increase prices when certain products rise , I have 2 price reviews each year so my prices are held for 6 months regardless & I have a similar deal with some suppliers, this makes sense for advertising ,printing etc & me ,my customers & suppliers all know where we are without constantly fluctuating prices & we all get a consistent fair price.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Not if you still declare 20% on your VAT return and make a conscious decision to overpay as a concerned citizen.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Not if you still declare 20% on your VAT return and make a conscious decision to overpay as a concerned citizen.
    Lol
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Lol
    :-)

Some people do, you'd be surprised. 
  • Options
    Buddha Belly in Bromley appears to have closed. Fittings removed.

No great culinary loss but still lost jobs which is a real shame.

Has the chain gone or just that branch, does anyone know?
  • Options

I thought you still couldn't have self serve/buffet meals, which I believe it was. 
  • Options

They've been gone for a little bit , I thought they was just doing it up.
    Not sure it was still called Buddha belly.
    I take it you wasn't a fan?
  • Options

Retail/commercial landlords are still greedy. Don’t be surprised if it reopens somewhere local in the near future.