Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League table talk

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    Barnsley today showed us that Leeds are not unbeatable (yes they lost, but that was as much their own inability to finish as anything). Like us, Barnsley are fighting for their lives from a much worse position than is and they really took the game to Leeds today, are we capable of doing the same if we need to?
    Yes I think we can... We scared Brentford a few weeks ago, we simply dont like facing teams that'll sit back when we attack

Leeds wont do that, the trouble with facing Leeds will be trying to get the ball in the first place but if we can be clever with it then we can hurt them

We couldnt even do it in League One, take that Oxford performance for example
    Tbf I'd also take another result against Leeds by going backs to the wall and pinging a ball in off someone's backside from a corner
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think we might get a bounce on Saturday,  simple fact it's a cup final , wins and we are safe we really need to get all the negative thoughts away and just go all out for the win.
    Lol, what another "Cup Final", Millwall were there for the taking in a "Cup Final" we did not show up, last night was a "Cup Final" we never took our chance, now Saturday is a "Cup Final" 

We are crap, and we never turn up when needed.
    Charlton Athletic will come good.

(At least I bleddy well hope so!)
  • Options
    It would be the final twist of a truly bizarre season if we were to stay up by doing the DOUBLE over the league champions...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think we might get a bounce on Saturday,  simple fact it's a cup final , wins and we are safe we really need to get all the negative thoughts away and just go all out for the win.
    Lol, what another "Cup Final", Millwall were there for the taking in a "Cup Final" we did not show up, last night was a "Cup Final" we never took our chance, now Saturday is a "Cup Final" 

This season or next?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    CH4RLTON said:

This season or next?
    You'll have to ask @eaststandmike

He was right about Sheff Utd. :smile:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    In the last game, Dunkley gets his foot round Gallagher and Oshilaja.

Nothing Phillips could do, but both the other two should do better there.

Sarr definitely pulled down in the box and the defending for the second is just a bit unlucky. 
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    I can’t see us getting any more points this season. IMO our only hope is a draw between Hull and Luton, and a loss in both of their final games :(
    I’m clinging on to this but think Luton will get out of it.
    I know what you mean, but don’t give up hope!
  • Options
    Leeds promoted, Huddersfield beat West brom.. 

Hudders look safe

Leeds may have nothing to play for next week 
  • Options
    We can’t score. It’s already all over. 
  • Options
    We can’t score. It’s already all over. 
    We can score, just need some luck, I'm not giving up, we need to support and be confident from afar!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    So it’s three from five, two from four if you’re discounting Barnsley and their incredibly tough fixtures.

All four are playing another team in the mini-group tomorrow. We are two points ahead of the pack which puts us in a relatively strong position.

Win tomorrow and we are guaranteed to be safe. That is not true for any of the other three teams.

A draw isn’t the worst result but it does leave the door open for Wigan plus one other (both if they draw) to jump above us if they get a result from their last game.

A loss will be painful. Pray for a Hull/Luton draw if that happens.
  • Options
    On Saturday, versus Wigan ....... we have just somehow got to do the business.

It then kills off Wigan and makes us safe. Play ugly, be lucky - any old way will do, just get the 3 points.
  • Options

Last time Charlton lost at Leeds. Twenty years ago. 
  • Options
    I can see it happening: Brentford will beat West Brom to automatic promotion. West Brom will be on a downer as they go into a semi-final against Millwall. Millwall will play Fulham in the final and as an ex-Charlton player Parker will infect his team with an inferioty complex.
  • Options
    Meanwhile at the bottom, Cardiff will have lost to Hull giving Hull 48 points who will have lost to Luton who finish on 51 points after beating Blackburn.

Middlesbrough and Birmingham get to safety with two easier matches to come. Wigan too after beating us.

Can we get 50 points by winning against Leeds and being equal on points to Stoke who could lose to Brentford and Forest? It could mean that we have an equal goal difference to Stoke but worse off on goals for. It could mean that we are heroically beating Leeds 1-0 but need one more to do it on goal difference. A bad tackle in the box and it's a penalty in the last minute to Charlton.

It's all rather like clutching at straws.

I don't wish to sound like Golfie but I really can't see anything but doom and gloom. Us in League One with Palace and Millwall in the Premier League. 
  • Options
    Let's just hope the Leeds fans who's met Bielsa tonight remembered to ask him to let Bowyer get a result on the last day if he needs one as a bit of goodwill, might be our only chance
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Last time Charlton lost at Leeds. Twenty years ago. 
    Their 16 year exile from the Premiership has been neatly book-ended by little old Charlton. Their last game in the Premiership was the 3-3 draw at Elland Road in May 2004. Their last game in the EFL will again by a home match against little old Charlton. 

Another draw perhaps.?
  • Options
    I can see it happening: Brentford will beat West Brom to automatic promotion. West Brom will be on a downer as they go into a semi-final against Millwall. Millwall will play Fulham in the final and as an ex-Charlton player Parker will infect his team with an inferioty complex.
    Exactly what I told my mate before the Huddersfield result ...
    all so predictable 
  • Options
    So we could be in the bottom 3 for 1 week pre lockdown and the last week! 
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Haven’t worked out the full permutations but a point at Elland Rd *should* now be enough unless two of the three other teams win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Let’s assume Luton win later as a worst case scenario. The table below will look like

Charlton 3pts
    Luton 3pts
    Wigan 1pt
    Hull 0pts

If we get a point at Leeds, Luton have to win to go above us because their goal difference is much worse. Wigan also have to win to go above us on goal difference.

If Hull/Luton draw then the table looks like this:

Charlton 2pts
    Wigan 0pts
    Hull 0pts
    Luton 0pts

If we get a point at Elland Rd, Wigan have to win to go above us. Luton and Hull have to win by 10+ goals to go above us.

• Options
    Can’t be bothered to check if anyone has said this but Fulham could be our saviour . If they beat Sheff Wed they need to beat Wigan next week to possibly get automatic promotion. That would mean with their 12 point deduction we would be safe regardless off our result at Leeds ! 
  • Options
    FiveThirtyEight now lists relegation percentage chances as above...
    I like these posts, but I just cannot agree with those percentages. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    If Luton and Hull draw i fancy us

Nick a point away at Leeds who play for nothing job done 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Win and we’re safe. Draw and we are praying that two teams don’t win. Lose and it opens the door to Wigan as well as the winner of Hull v Luton
  • Options
    Isn’t a Hull win better for us now? 
  • Options
    I personally think it is, yes.
  • Options
    Better than a Luton win simply because of who they each play in the last game. I think I feel better about a draw though.
  • Options
    100% yes. If it happens I predict that's us safe