Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 30 June 2020 | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    3 clean sheets in a row, couldn't be more buzzed
    How long since we’ve done that?
    You must have been the geezer standing next  to your flag behind the goal then 😉
  • Options
    Lack of firepower up top is a concern. Especially with all these teams below us continuing to pick up points.
    Yeah especially as we're not picking up... oh ;)
  • Options
    Lack of firepower up top is a concern. Especially with all these teams below us continuing to pick up points.
    We could win every game from here 1-0 and stay up. Would it be better to put games to bed? Of course. But 3 points are the most important thing here.
  • Options
    LB brilliant on TalkSPORT this morning. Being repeated right now.
  • Options
    Another tactical masterstroke from LB
    Ugly us hell but job done - really impressive in the context of barely having 10 players at it for 80 odd minutes until the charlatan Green finally got the hook 
    Hull and QPR were both really poor but very useful exercises in tuning up the squad, especially the back line.
    We're down on numbers up front and our best by far Mr Bonne has now played the equivalent of 2.5 matches in 11 days with another game to come within 3 days - he'll have to spend the whole time til then either in an ice bath or on the masseur's table, he can't be risked in training or we won't be scoring any goals from open play at all.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I didn't realise they'd changed the laws of the game whereby only forwards are allowed to score goals 🤔.
    Yes, Pearce and Pratley up front in a 442 for Millwall is the rumour. 
  • Options
    I'd have no problem if Davison was given a go up front with a strike partner like Aneke, Hemed or Bonne. He showed against West Brom that he's got enough physicality and willingness....and he's not slow either. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm not sure wrapping Bonne up in cotton wool is going to help his cause either he needs to up his game which is not at pre lockdown levels yet. Aneke has contributed more in less minutes thus far IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:
    I didn't realise they'd changed the laws of the game whereby only forwards are allowed to score goals 🤔.

They haven't. But they're paid to predominantly score goals.

And the ones we have, haven't scored since lockdown was lifted. They haven't even remotely looking like scoring bar that one chance across the line against Hull.

We've scored two goals, both from set-pieces. Are we just going to rely on that to win us games now? Because at the moment, we haven't got much else to rely on.

Will be interesting to see how they react when we concede first. It's only a matter of time before it happens, the clean sheet run won't last forever.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Interesting comments from Bowyer there, in such a unique situation, coming back after such a short pre season, I agree with him in picking players based on current sharpness and fitness, rather than how they were playing earlier in the season
    Completely agree. It’s very interesting and the way he says it makes it sound as if he’s a little disappointed how Jonny's fitness isn’t up there with others. Completely right to pick and play players based on what’s happening now. I just hope Jonny gets to that level soon and gets the chance to impact our season again in a positive way.

Williams did say before the restart that there’s only so much you can do and that they’re not runners. Maybe he struggled with the running and the motivation to hit the targets that were set. He seems the type of person who would’ve done better had he been able to complete the runs with a teammate rather than on his own.
    If it was a player, like let's say Hemed, or McGeady who came back and Bowyer said the same things about them - they would be getting absolute pelters from many fans. Indeed Hemed was getting called fat when he came back from injury when the bloke is clearly pretty ripped! 

I know Johnny is a lovely guy, and has some serious talent, but his body is just not up to it at the best of time and if youre not putting in the fitness work when there's an opportunity like lockdown presented, then maybe it explains why. 
    I'd much rather play a 3/4 fit Williams than a fully fit JFC, Green or Oztumer.
    That just sends out the wrong message to the other players, destroys the team ethic, and causes more negatives than any supposed positive gained.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Interesting comments from Bowyer there, in such a unique situation, coming back after such a short pre season, I agree with him in picking players based on current sharpness and fitness, rather than how they were playing earlier in the season
    Completely agree. It’s very interesting and the way he says it makes it sound as if he’s a little disappointed how Jonny's fitness isn’t up there with others. Completely right to pick and play players based on what’s happening now. I just hope Jonny gets to that level soon and gets the chance to impact our season again in a positive way.

Williams did say before the restart that there’s only so much you can do and that they’re not runners. Maybe he struggled with the running and the motivation to hit the targets that were set. He seems the type of person who would’ve done better had he been able to complete the runs with a teammate rather than on his own.
    If it was a player, like let's say Hemed, or McGeady who came back and Bowyer said the same things about them - they would be getting absolute pelters from many fans. Indeed Hemed was getting called fat when he came back from injury when the bloke is clearly pretty ripped! 

I know Johnny is a lovely guy, and has some serious talent, but his body is just not up to it at the best of time and if youre not putting in the fitness work when there's an opportunity like lockdown presented, then maybe it explains why. 
    I'd much rather play a 3/4 fit Williams than a fully fit JFC, Green or Oztumer.
    But a 3/4 fit Williams often seems to get injured.
    Bowyer knows this.

I've always been impressed with his enthusiasm ........ it's a bit disappointing to learn that Williams came back from Lockdown not as fit as most of his team mates. And subsequently not showing so well in training.

As a professional, need to have a quiet word with yourself Jonny.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised at LB publicly having a pop at JW, people refusing to play even though still under contract seemed to get off more lightly. We all know that JW seems a little injury prone, maybe he has an underlying medical issue that hinders his getting 100% fit. For someone who took a massive drop in wages to come & play for us + extending his contract to play the last 9 games of this season doesn't sound the kind of player to just drift through his training.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:

And the ones we have, haven't scored since lockdown was lifted. They haven't even remotely looking like scoring bar that one chance across the line against Hull.

We've scored two goals, both from set-pieces. Are we just going to rely on that to win us games now? Because at the moment, we haven't got much else to rely on.

Will be interesting to see how they react when we concede first. It's only a matter of time before it happens, the clean sheet run won't last forever.

We've lost three of our top scorers since the turn of the year so it should be no surprise that we are going to struggle to score goals. The forwards we now have aren't going to suddenly turn into 20 goal a season strikers so we have to play to our strengths in midfield and defence. If that means low scoring games and avoiding defeat I can live with that.

Points are all that matters so yes if we have to rely on set pieces for our goals then so be it but inevitably we will create chances from open play and it doesn't matter who converts them. I'm not overly concerned.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

We've lost three of our top scorers since the turn of the year so it should be no surprise that we are going to struggle to score goals. The forwards we now have aren't going to suddenly turn into 20 goal a season strikers so we have to play to our strengths in midfield and defence. If that means low scoring games and avoiding defeat I can live with that.

Points are all that matters so yes if we have to rely on set pieces for our goals then so be it but inevitably we will create chances from open play and it doesn't matter who converts them I'm not overly concerned.

I don't think anybody is expecting 20goals a season strikers but as I said... the ones we have don't even look like scoring. If we are reliant on set-pieces to score goals, we'll come unstuck eventually unless things change. We won't keep grinding out 1-0 and 0-0 forever.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Points are all that matters so yes if we have to rely on set pieces for our goals then so be it but inevitably we will create chances from open play and it doesn't matter who converts them I'm not overly concerned.

I don't think anybody is expecting 20goals a season strikers but as I said... the ones we have don't even look like scoring. If we are reliant on set-pieces to score goals, we'll come unstuck eventually unless things change. We won't keep grinding out 1-0 and 0-0 forever.

Time will tell and to quote Lord Bowyer it is what it is.  My glass is half full 😉
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Time will tell and to quote Lord Bowyer it is what it is.  My glass is half full 😉
    I of course share your hope that something happens, I'd like nothing more than a Bonne brace on Friday to shut me up.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

I don't see many clear cut chances being created.

Strikers need a service - and then, the expectation is that they score 1 goal from 3 chances.
    That's normally what stats prove from a decent striker.

Also, penalties are a useful addition - but in our 3 matches, we haven't remotely looked like winning a penalty.
    One reason will be that we're not carrying the ball into the box.

Remember the 3 consecutive clean sheets? Bowyer is planning to keep a compact shape and so far it's working.
    But the price paid is that we're often deeper and not getting in penetrating positions or into the box, nearly enough.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Strikers need a service - and then, the expectation is that they score 1 goal from 3 chances.

Also, penalties are a useful addition - but in our 3 matches, we haven't remotely looked like winning a penalty.

Remember the 3 consecutive clean sheets? Bowyer is planning to keep a compact shape and so far it's working.
    But the price paid is that we're often deeper and not getting in penetrating positions or into the box, nearly enough.

Hemed dragged shot against Hull. Green choosing to turn on his right rather than left against Cardiff. Bonne shot from left hand side straight at keeper against QPR. Bonne getting his feet muddled when put in against Hull. Bonne missing the cross on the line against Hull, Hemed following him up behind also missed. Chuks turns his man but shoots wide against QPR, Bowyer said he should've scored.

Just a few I could think of post-lockdown, some not clear-cut as you have stated. But all of them chances to score, and none of them ended up in goals.

I do remember the clean sheets very well, and we should be proud of that. But that won't last forever, and when we do concede that goal... at the moment we're reliant on a set piece to get us goals. We didn't even have a shot on target yesterday.

We've had 3 shots on target in 270mins of football.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Even before the lockdown we were hardly firing on all cylinders and getting loads of chances. This had been a feature literally all season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we keep clean sheets for the next six games, I will not complain, occasional 1-0 win and the rest 0-0 draw, we will be fine
  • Options
    Massive point on the road. Another battling team performance. On to a huge one Friday.
  • Options
    Good point on the road and another clean sheet .. look forward to Friday now !!
  • Options
    If we get a clean sheet against Brentford away I'll run a naked lap around the Valley.
  • Options

I could not recognise our player (not Cullen), No. 32 and had to look it up
  • Options
    Awesome pic of LapsLocks ! 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

Hemed dragged shot against Hull. Green choosing to turn on his right rather than left against Cardiff. Bonne shot from left hand side straight at keeper against QPR. Bonne getting his feet muddled when put in against Hull. Bonne missing the cross on the line against Hull, Hemed following him up behind also missed. Chuks turns his man but shoots wide against QPR, Bowyer said he should've scored.

Just a few I could think of post-lockdown, some not clear-cut as you have stated. But all of them chances to score, and none of them ended up in goals.

I do remember the clean sheets very well, and we should be proud of that. But that won't last forever, and when we do concede that goal... at the moment we're reliant on a set piece to get us goals. We didn't even have a shot on target yesterday.

We've had 3 shots on target in 270mins of football.

It would be great if all our strikers converted their every chance - but players are only human, make wrong decisions, rush their shot plus there is an opposing defence pressuring to stop our forwards scoring. They've also had a 3 month layoff which inevitably means a lack of sharpness.

It's not just us, you know. 
    How many clear chances did the Cardiff forwards fashion last night - and how many did they take?

Bowyer knows that without Taylor as an outlet, innovator and scorer, he needs a plan B.
    His current gameplan is to keep the shape compact and close down the midfield; inevitably that reduces the number of attacking options, therefore relying on set pieces and a quick turnover on the counter attack.

You know, I accept our players are a bit short of World Class, they've got their limitations and that we've lost 3 of our 4 leading goalscorers. Right now we're just plucky Charlton punching above our weight in the Championship, but competing well and with determination not to be relegated. That'll do me, for now. 

Fair enough, last I'll speak on the matter cause we'll be going around in circles.
  • Options
    Mini league after 3 games has us in 6th place behind, Brentford, Wigan, Derby all with 9 points then Cardiff, Barnsley and us on 7 points. Like that at end we will be comfortably mid table