Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 30 June 2020 | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Charwill said:
    Mini league after 3 games has us in 6th place behind, Brentford, Wigan, Derby all with 9 points then Cardiff, Barnsley and us on 7 points. Like that at end we will be comfortably mid table
    LB has said that he split the nine games into three blocks and hope to get four points from each block. First block 7 points
    Interesting that he was targeting 12 points, which would put us on 51. I wonder how many points he'll think is enough for safety now?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I didn't realise they'd changed the laws of the game whereby only forwards are allowed to score goals 🤔.

They haven't. But they're paid to predominantly score goals.

And the ones we have, haven't scored since lockdown was lifted. They haven't even remotely looking like scoring bar that one chance across the line against Hull.

We've scored two goals, both from set-pieces. Are we just going to rely on that to win us games now? Because at the moment, we haven't got much else to rely on.

Will be interesting to see how they react when we concede first. It's only a matter of time before it happens, the clean sheet run won't last forever.

We've lost three of our top scorers since the turn of the year so it should be no surprise that we are going to struggle to score goals. The forwards we now have aren't going to suddenly turn into 20 goal a season strikers so we have to play to our strengths in midfield and defence. If that means low scoring games and avoiding defeat I can live with that.

Points are all that matters so yes if we have to rely on set pieces for our goals then so be it but inevitably we will create chances from open play and it doesn't matter who converts them I'm not overly concerned.

I don't think anybody is expecting 20goals a season strikers but as I said... the ones we have don't even look like scoring. If we are reliant on set-pieces to score goals, we'll come unstuck eventually unless things change. We won't keep grinding out 1-0 and 0-0 forever.

I don't see many clear cut chances being created.

Strikers need a service - and then, the expectation is that they score 1 goal from 3 chances.
    That's normally what stats prove from a decent striker.

Also, penalties are a useful addition - but in our 3 matches, we haven't remotely looked like winning a penalty.
    One reason will be that we're not carrying the ball into the box.

Remember the 3 consecutive clean sheets? Bowyer is planning to keep a compact shape and so far it's working.
    But the price paid is that we're often deeper and not getting in penetrating positions or into the box, nearly enough.

Hemed dragged shot against Hull. Green choosing to turn on his right rather than left against Cardiff. Bonne shot from left hand side straight at keeper against QPR. Bonne getting his feet muddled when put in against Hull. Bonne missing the cross on the line against Hull, Hemed following him up behind also missed. Chuks turns his man but shoots wide against QPR, Bowyer said he should've scored.

Just a few I could think of post-lockdown, some not clear-cut as you have stated. But all of them chances to score, and none of them ended up in goals.

I do remember the clean sheets very well, and we should be proud of that. But that won't last forever, and when we do concede that goal... at the moment we're reliant on a set piece to get us goals. We didn't even have a shot on target yesterday.

We've had 3 shots on target in 270mins of football.

It would be great if all our strikers converted their every chance - but players are only human, make wrong decisions, rush their shot plus there is an opposing defence pressuring to stop our forwards scoring. They've also had a 3 month layoff which inevitably means a lack of sharpness.

It's not just us, you know. 
    How many clear chances did the Cardiff forwards fashion last night - and how many did they take?

Bowyer knows that without Taylor as an outlet, innovator and scorer, he needs a plan B.
    His current gameplan is to keep the shape compact and close down the midfield; inevitably that reduces the number of attacking options, therefore relying on set pieces and a quick turnover on the counter attack.

You know, I accept our players are a bit short of World Class, they've got their limitations and that we've lost 3 of our 4 leading goalscorers. Right now we're just plucky Charlton punching above our weight in the Championship, but competing well and with determination not to be relegated. That'll do me, for now. 

Fair enough, last I'll speak on the matter cause we'll be going around in circles.
    I'm not sure that you guys views are too far apart really.

If I could attempt to consolidate your arguments: -
    You are sort of implying that our strikers are a little bit shit.
    Oggy is sort of suggesting that it's not their fault if they are a little bit shit
    There maybe reasons they are currently a little bit shit
    Other teams have strikers who are a little bit shit.
    We have other attacking options to accommodate our strikers being a little bit shit
    As long as we continue pulling out results and performances that'll do (even though our strikers are a little bit shit)  ;)
    Got it in one, Mr Nuts.

Sorry about my Grapevine 49-esque posts; I wish I could have put it as concisely as you did.  :smile:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Charwill said:
    Mini league after 3 games has us in 6th place behind, Brentford, Wigan, Derby all with 9 points then Cardiff, Barnsley and us on 7 points. Like that at end we will be comfortably mid table
    LB has said that he split the nine games into three blocks and hope to get four points from each block. First block 7 points
    Interesting that he was targeting 12 points, which would put us on 51. I wonder how many points he'll think is enough for safety now?
    One more point than the team that finishes 22nd.

Seriously, it's well known that Bowyer says he sets up to win every game. He expects 3 points each time.
    But he knows the team has it's limitations so targets are realistic, without causing too much disappointment and negative pressure on players. It's a confidence game, after all.

Points target? ...... I reckon he'll think: right, we've got 46 points now, there's 3 teams just ahead of us within reach and struggling.
    He'll set up for a win on Friday, which puts us level with Reading. That's the target.

• Options
    I think if he targeted 4 points from every three games, Bowyer expected 51 would be enough and I suspect he has a good chance of being right.
  • Options
    it may not have been the prettiest draw ever seen
    but it was a good draw against a Good playoff team away from home.
    in other words it was a well ground out point.
    At this stage of the season points matter, prettiness 
    does not.
    once again well done Lee Bowyer  your a Top man 👍
    and well done the lads who are proud to wear the Shirt, unlike that WANKER of no integrity Lyle Taylor!!
  • Options
    I thought Aneke was excellent yesterday. You need the forward balls to stick and not come straight back at you when you set up like we did and that is what was happening when he was on the pitch. If that wasn't clear, we then had the evidence of what happened when he came off. It wasn't a game that gives a player like Aneke the glory, but Bowyer will know what he gave us and I would be amazed if he didn't start on Friday if he is physically ok.
    Agreed aneke was ace, it didnt work
    berween green and bonne,  but bonne/hemed combo worked together so will be surprised if he doesnt revert

Or aneke/hemed? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Objectively that was a rubbish 0-0, with next to zero chances created, but somehow I found it all very enjoyable. Bowyer switch the whole thing round meant there was plenty of interest. Aneke and Doughty gave me the most to enjoy. Both really unsettled Cardiff, and Aneke's first touch was a revelation. Doughty's pace and energy makes me thing he's one to hang onto for the future.
    Sarr is never boring, no matter whether you're a fan or not. A couple of sublime passes, and a generally solid enough performance, considering he's not played since early March. Lapslie did ok and ran his socks off.
    It was also good to see Field start, and he offers so much. Let's hope he can stay fit.
    Cullen was superb, and what a pro his is. Others slunk away, when he has stood tall. Will never forget that, whether he returns to West Ham or not.
    Just heard that Wigan are in admin, and face a 12 point deduction. That could be massive for our chances of staying up.
    Ditto all of this 👍🏽 (Maybe not lapslie for me)

Sarr was like stevie g. Does this mans capabilities have no limits? 

Just cant for the life of me see doughty staying and not getting poached. ☹️
  • Options
    Great point gained. Just a pity the game was marred by the crowd trouble..............
  • Options
    Sky reported a bit of pavement cardboard boxing going on outside?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Awesome pic of LapsLocks ! 
    The new Robbie Savage?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I didn't realise they'd changed the laws of the game whereby only forwards are allowed to score goals 🤔.

They haven't. But they're paid to predominantly score goals.

And the ones we have, haven't scored since lockdown was lifted. They haven't even remotely looking like scoring bar that one chance across the line against Hull.

We've scored two goals, both from set-pieces. Are we just going to rely on that to win us games now? Because at the moment, we haven't got much else to rely on.

Will be interesting to see how they react when we concede first. It's only a matter of time before it happens, the clean sheet run won't last forever.

We've lost three of our top scorers since the turn of the year so it should be no surprise that we are going to struggle to score goals. The forwards we now have aren't going to suddenly turn into 20 goal a season strikers so we have to play to our strengths in midfield and defence. If that means low scoring games and avoiding defeat I can live with that.

Points are all that matters so yes if we have to rely on set pieces for our goals then so be it but inevitably we will create chances from open play and it doesn't matter who converts them. I'm not overly concerned.
    I'm usually the first one to be banging on about our shot shy strikers. But being pragmatic for once I'd say that as long as we score enough to win 2 more games (so like the first 2 a 1-nil will do) then that will do for me. If you compare our strike force to Cardiff's then they were in a different league. We had Bonne & Aneke who have never played in this division.......they had Adomah & Tomlin, who I believe have played in the Premiership. They didn't do any better than our front 2.

It is concerning about our lack of chances in front of goal & that's why I would have Williams, Morgan & Mcgeady in the team (maybe not all together). They can all carry the ball forward & play in other players. 

All we need to do is get another 7 points. With Wigan now in administration I think they are going to find it very hard not to get relegated & so we just need to stay ahead of 2 other teams down there.
  • Options
    Most of what I thought about the players has been said already but I feel the need to just reiterate what was said about Sarr.
    I'm not a great fan of his because he makes me nervous when he has to defend. I've often thought that he should be in central midfield with his passing ability.
    Yesterday his passing was sublime, and for the first time ever I was comfortable with his defending. 
    There were other good performances: Lockyer and Cullen particularly, but Sarr is my MOTM because I at last felt, not only at ease, but enjoying the ball coming to his feet. 
  • Options
    I think if he targeted 4 points from every three games, Bowyer expected 51 would be enough and I suspect he has a good chance of being right.
    Not everyone, including ourselves will keep up the intensity. 
  • Options
    Recovery Wednesdays
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just in case anyone was wandering I heard from a reputable source that Sue Parkes was once again in attendance last night. Photographic evidence shows her in disguise as she tries to avoid anymore brouhaha.

• Options
    Great point!

Can only re-iterate one or two things I said after the QPR game:-

1) LB is a top, top manager. To take a battered and depleted squad like he has had to do and get it to produce fighting performances like the last three games is incredible. We are so lucky to have him. 

2) In the QPR post match thread, there were a couple of people who cast doubt on Cullen's ability. I only hope they were watching tonight. Another superb performance from him. This lad is absolute quality and if only we had a few bob the team should be built around him for the next 5 or 6 years.

3) Dillon Phillips gets better and better. Another top save from him tonight to earn us a point. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Premier League club, seeing the mess we are in, came in with a cheeky offer for him.

4) Chucks Aneke is finally showing that there is a player there. And a good one. If only he can stay fit he is going to be a big player for us. 

5) Alfie Doughty is another who has just got to be signed up. His pace on the break is electrifying and there's a raw talent here waiting to emerge. But because of his contract situation, I fear he will follow the likes of Grant and Aribo out the door for a pittance.  

Let's look forward to Friday as I honestly think that this team will turn up.

Point 3
    Ive been thinking this since the restart too. I think he will be off to the Premier League a lot lot sooner than i thought he would. I wouldnt be surprised if these are the last 6 games he plays for us but hope i am wrong obviously.
    He still has improving to do but hes a top keeper already- and a top fella. Well pleased for him
  • Options
    The problem with a keeper is that he is definitely in the sights of Premier League clubs looking for a decent reserve. I think he would be best staying with us. If he carries on following this trajectory he will be bought as a first choice.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Really disappointed with Bonne, I hope that early season goal spell wasn't a fluke, because his really looking out of his depth atm
    I suspect it will turn out to be a fluke, at least for now. He can finish, there's no doubt about that. But his all around play is still desperately lacking. He doesn't win enough headers. His control isn't great. And he's not great with the ball at his feet. He's still relatively young, and these are all things he can improve on, but he was never meant to play all that much this season and now he seems to be our first choice center forward. I'd like to see Aneke and Hemed given a shot up front on Friday. They've both looked very good thus far, Bonne and Green have not. 
  • Options
    Bonne will come good.

He needs a regular run with a quick strike partner.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    It's a great save but watching it back I think it's going harmlessly wide. Still does well to save it and keep it out of the way of oncoming attackers. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:
    It's a great save but watching it back I think it's going harmlessly wide. Still does well to save it and keep it out of the way of oncoming attackers. 
    No way that's going wide 😆
  • Options
    @Dazzler21
    watching it yet again I think you're right but thank you for the image by image breakdown it's brilliant.