Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One Play Offs

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Well, it's going to be a nice Home Counties side promoted now - good stuff
    isn't Hampshire in the home counties? It actually takes longer to drive to oxford than to portsmouth from the valley.
  • Options
    Josh Parker on the bench for Wycombe. He's a lucky charm for anyone in the playoffs!
  • Options
    Oxford v Wycombe  the M40 derby.
    A massive shame for their fans to not be there

For Wycombe the biggest game in their history, for Oxford the biggest game since the 90s
  • Options
    Well if we stay up this season we SHOULD surely be able to keep ahead of Coventry / Rotherham and the Play-Off winners

Of course they'll be the three that deserve promotion but with the recent giants down there that is three teams that you'd expect to see struggling 
    Of course? How do you figure that out? They never finished the season. Never has there been any less deserved promotions since that of Arsenal.
  • Options
    Can we so confidently rule out Coventry being decent? 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Leuth said:
    Can we so confidently rule out Coventry being decent?
    At ones peril. Already made a couple of good signings and are no doubt looking at the loan market as well which can equalise things.
  • Options
    personally don't like Oxford United after that 2-1 loss last season so i'd prefer Wycombe having their first season ever in the champs. Wycombe also have Joshie parker.
  • Options
    Well if we stay up this season we SHOULD surely be able to keep ahead of Coventry / Rotherham and the Play-Off winners

Of course they'll be the three that deserve promotion but with the recent giants down there that is three teams that you'd expect to see struggling 
    Depends what our budget is and if we get things sorted so we're actually allowed to buy players.

Coventry just spent 1.5m on a player, i doubt we will be.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

For Wycombe the biggest game in their history, for Oxford the biggest game since the 90s
    Yes, it is. My eldest was born in Oxford when I lived at (RAF) Benson. However, I got married just outside Wycombe and was also based in the area a couple of times.

Whenever Charlton were not playing, I'd have a run down to Adams Park to watch Wycombe (early 90s, non-league and league under Martin O'Neill; then again c2009-13). 

Good 'little' club, well run. Always thought that Ainsworth would be a good fit for Charlton - until Bowyer came along, of course.

I wish them well next week. (Although the thought that they could potentially be in a league above Charlton is utterly surreal!). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, it is. My eldest was born in Oxford when I lived at (RAF) Benson. However, I got married just outside Wycombe and was also based in the area a couple of times.

Whenever Charlton were not playing, I'd have a run down to Adams Park to watch Wycombe (early 90s, non-league and league under Martin O'Neill; then again c2009-13). 

Good 'little' club, well run. Always thought that Ainsworth would be a good fit for Charlton - until Bowyer came along, of course.

I wish them well next week. (Although the thought that they could potentially be in a league above Charlton is utterly surreal!). 
    You wonder how long Ainsworth will stay. I'm sure he wants to manage Wycombe in the Championship, but if they lose at Wembley, surely higher clubs will be interested in him
  • Options

This is apparently Oxford's 4th trip to Wembley in the last 10 years.

Wycombe were last there 5 years ago.

Not so bad for clubs whose fans will have been there recently.
  • Options

I wonder: do you recall a Wycombe forward who's first name was Jason playing for them around 1992-94?
  • Options

This is apparently Oxford's 4th trip to Wembley in the last 10 years.

Wycombe were last there 5 years ago.

Not so bad for clubs whose fans will have been there recently.
    The L1 playoff final is another step up though from the NL playoffs or the JPT/Checkatrade/whatever trophy!
  • Options
    I always liked Robinson, even when I thought it was right to sack him. I think he did a lot of good whilst he was here and I wish him all the best in the Final.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I have a mate who supports Pompey, so would like to have seen them promoted, plus it’s an excellent away trip to an atmospheric old ground.

Although our results under Karl Robinson weren’t good enough and he is the most garrulous manager in the country, he seemed a decent enough bloke (albeit his press conferences became unbearable in the end). More importantly, he left us one hell of a legacy with Bowyer and Gallen. Be that as it may, I’ll be rooting for Wycombe - promotion would be an outstanding achievement for a club of their size, plus I’d relish another trip to the Mad Squirrel Brewery Taproom and the beer tent behind the away end. If we’re both in the Championship next year, let’s hope the fixture is after Christmas, when there’s more chance of actually attending a game.

Will it be viable for League 1 to recommence next season In September/October without supporters ? I have real doubts about that. 
  • Options
    At least we can look forward to playing Sunderland and Pompey next season, if we are still around.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    At least we can look forward to playing Sunderland and Pompey next season, if we are still around.
    Not even remotely funny.
  • Options
    be good to see Wycombe in the Champ for the first time, but alas I reckon they would go straight back down, whereas Oxford might have a better chance of staying up. The Championship is getting very much like the Premier in that promoted clubs are more often likely to be relegated the very next season
  • Options
    Hoping for a Wycombe win, then surely that's them and Rotherham we can finish above next season.

Unsure about Coventry as they're actually buying players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Ipswich. Mind you, watching most of the two Oxford v Portsmouth games was a grizzly reminder of the ever-expanding gulf in quality between the Championship and League 1. We just have to hope that we can keep our heads above water this season and sort out the accursed ownership of the club, failing which, we're on borrowed time.

We have become a yo-yo club in the last decade or so - but, sadly, not between the the Championship and the Premier League.
  • Options

I wonder: do you recall a Wycombe forward who's first name was Jason playing for them around 1992-94?
    I remember Jason Cousins, he was a defender though and a real stalwart. Don't recall any forward called Jason. I'll have a look at the squad. 

Main forward at that time was a fella called Keith Scott. A real handful at that level. Steve Guppy was there as well; he who went on to play for Newcastle and England.

They had a decent midfielder called Steve Thompson who was a RAF Physical Training Instructor during their non-league days. When they got promoted to the league and turned professional, they paid for him to leave the RAF (as was the process then) and he turned professional with them. 
  • Options
    I’d have preferred the day out in Pompey but a day out in a few Oxford pubs before and after the game wasn’t so bad last season even though we lost so currently prefer that to Wycombe. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53381166

Nice little quiz about L1 playoffs, including a familiar face in the second question!
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53381166

Nice little quiz about L1 playoffs, including a familiar face in the second question!
    7/10

Got 2, 3 and 5 wrong lol

Guessed both the scores and got one right and one wrong haha
  • Options
    Kuddly Karl or Gallant Gareth? 
  • Options
    They always say the play off winners have a disadvantage as they get promoted last so have less time to prepare their squad.

The winners today will know they are a championship team before 6 or 7 other teams do this time around lol
  • Options
    Gareth Ainsworth singing the nation anthem loud and proud there 
  • Options
    Has anyone scored an own goal yet?
  • Options
    1-0 Wycombe