Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Reading | Sat 11 Jul | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Reading
Saturday 11th July 2020 ... 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Bond (Previous Games: Cardiff City (H) | Nottm Forest (A))

Introduction
As we approach yet another fixture its mini-season that I continue to struggle to get used to yet at the same time am quite enjoying. Itts less than two weeks now the 2019/20 Football League Championship will be complete and we'll finally know the outcome in what has truly become a marathon season, whether we find ourselves remaining in England's second tier or whether we get relegation is largely irrelevant at the end of the day, especially when you compare it with every day life and the troubles that more and more Football clubs appear to be finding themselves under.

This Saturday we welcome Reading to the Valley... Its a time of the year where we should be looking forward to seeing players back for pre-season, and the traditional curtain raiser against Welling United at Park View Road should be the talk of CharltonLife. In some ways it'll be a relief when we eventually get back to normality in every aspect of our lives, should that ever truly happen again!!

The Opposition
Name: Reading (13th) | Manager: Mark Bowen (Win Rate: 36.11%)
Previous Result: Reading 0-0 Huddersfield Town

Established in 1871 Reading are one of the oldest teams in England (Still older than that lot) yet did not in fact join the Football League until 1920, just one year before their famed South East London opponents this weekend. The two sides would meet in the Third Division South in our first season, I hope you're not looking for a sign... Reading would win that first encounter 1-0 at the Valley (anyone here remember it?), ironically played on the 13th April 1922, with this fixture itself originally due to be played: 14th April 2020!!... Spooky

Both teams have come a long way since that encounter at the Valley, both teams have enjoyed relative success in the Premier League and now find themselves battling in the Championship, you'd probably argue its the natural level of both clubs - Obviously neither club will be vying for a return to the top flight this season; Reading would briefly spend a few short weeks looking over their shoulders at the relegation battle, results for Mark Bowen (ex-Charlton players pop up everywhere dont they!!) havent been perfect but the five points achieved appear to have hauled the Royals into a mid-table position that should ensure their Championship status for another twelve months at the latest.

In terms of playing opposition it is Goalkeeper: Rafael Cabral who was one of the signings of the summer for any Championship club, the Brazilian not only has international caps to his name yet would also spend the 2014/15 season as Napoli's first choice Goalkeeper... Whilst wound up by an ex-Striker of ours in the reverse fixture, he's surely the reason for them being safely in midtable, our opponents having conceded far less goals than anyone else in the bottom half of the table!!

Charlton Team News
So at the Addicks complete their run of London derbies and return from the West End you have to wonder what changes Lee Bowyer will make compared to the team that for so long held out against one of the best footballing teams in the Division - Behind the Strikers there has been much fan debate over whether Aiden McGeady or Jonny Williams should be starting and the welsh wizard surely presented a case proving that he should be starting more games.

Sam Field was another who impressed, and put in a display that was well deserved after a frustrating season on loan from West Bromwich Albion... Another sixty minutes could be a bit risky for someone who has been injury prone this season so you'd expect to see a return for Darren Pratley - Meanwhile it is in defence that Naby Sarr put in yet another display that has seen a complete three sixty from fan opinion, does Bowyer take the risk and go with three at the back, especially when those three Centre-Backs have complemented each other so well when called upon since the restart?
Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr | Doughty
Cullen | Pratley
Williams
Hemed | Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Purrington | Oshilaja | Lapslie | Morgan | McGeady | Aneke | Davison | Field

Prediction
Sitting in 13th position and you'd expect Reading to be pretty safe now. Of course they could lose their next two, everyone below could win (impossible with the matchups) and they could be dragged back into it, yet from so high in the Division they're a side that can effectively take a break until next season - So with big matches against Birmingham and Wigan to come in the next week that is a position that would suit us very nicely; Huddersfield came away from Berkshire with a point on Tuesday evening so I see little reason why we cant achieve the same at the very least, these next three games are without doubt vital to our survival, we certainly afford no slips, no lapses in concentrate now!!

Comments

• Options
    Big big game. Win this and we are probably safe.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    According to you, we're already safe :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    They are playing better away than at home, but if we play like we did on Tuesday we have a chance. I hope your team is right, but I cannot see Williams starting two games in a row and LB hinted that he may rest Bonne and that he left Hemed out of the squad for this game and only a short appearance for Aneke, so I expect them two to start up front.
  • Options
    NEVER FORGET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPXBu2TsXU

Still haven't forgiven Roger Johnson tbh
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Must win, will win. 3-0 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    According to you, we're already safe :smile:
    I am sure I said that I didn’t think the bottom 3 will get more than 46 points. I still think that, but if we stay on 46 points our goal difference could take us down.

I am still convinced that Luton and Barnsley will not get more, I am just a bit concerned that Sheffield Wednesday still haven’t received the relegation/points deductions I was expecting.

I still think Wigan will Struggle to get to the 46. 

Three points will be a huge step from just thinking we will be OK to being where we know we are safe. The quicker the better.
  • Options
    I'd be ok with a draw because I think we'll win at Birmingham but dropped points on Saturday does put a lot of pressure on the 2 games after. Especially if there's a winner in Barnsley v Wigan.
  • Options
    0-1 kick in the nuts!
  • Options
    3-0 to LB's Red & White Army
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0

• Options
    2-0 and LB in buoyant mode in his post-match conference. COYA
  • Options
    We won't score more than one.

They wont score less than one.

• Options
    everything clicks ... we perform at our very best ... a hellish 2-1 win with our backs against the wall
  • Options
    We need to be positive in this match and STAY positive. No parking the bus and time wasting 5 minutes into the second half.

We do lack pace and movement up front other than Bonne, which is a shame as it makes so much difference if you can counter attack quickly.

Will Cullen at some stage be rested, with us starting with Pratley and Field?
  • Options
    Like your set up @ForeverAddickted but I think LB had said that Bonne is struggling to be fully fit for Saturday so I think it may just be Hemed up front & the same formation that we played at Brentford.

Definitely getting down to squeaky bum time. Can't see us winning this one & seeing as Reading are no Brentford I think a draw is on the cards.

1-1.
  • Options
    This game is absolutely massive. 
    Win and we are almost safe 
    Lose and we are probably back in the bottom three. 
    It really doesn't get much bigger than this.
    2.1 Charlton and we all breath a little easier. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sooooo desperate for a win , where will the goal come from ,  I dare not  put the plural it’s been months ....
    1 point from the last 3 games is relegation form but we did better in them games than the wins against the shit teams we beat .
    Hopefully Reading are as pony as Hull and the hoops were and we can grab something .
    A win would let us breath but this is Charlton so it’s a draw at best and the reliance on Wigan’s point deduction (don’t punish the fans, oh it’s not us please punish the fans ;-) becomes more and more essential.

• Options
    Home defeat and squeaky bum time.
  • Options
    oohaahmortimer said:
    Sooooo desperate for a win , where will the goal come from ,  I dare not  put the plural it’s been months ....
    1 point from the last 3 games is relegation form but we did better in them games than the wins against the shit teams we beat .
    Hopefully Reading are as pony as Hull and the hoops were and we can grab something .
    A win would let us breath but this is Charlton so it’s a draw at best and the reliance on Wigan’s point deduction (don’t punish the fans, oh it’s not us please punish the fans ;-) becomes more and more essential.

You have to take the mini season so far as the context and from that we have 7 points from 5 games. We have won the two we thought we should win. Lost the two we knew we'd lose and got a great draw. All the games have been really tight and this will be just the same. We need to stick to the plan of being difficult to break down and clinical on set pieces. I think Bowyer was hinting that Williams may not be ready to start again but hopefully if he can play behind Bonne and Hemed then there is enough there to get us a goal. There wont be more than a goal in it, fingers crossed we can get the result.

For the rest of the season I will look at it as: As long as we stay above Hull, we are safe.
  • Options
    We need to play football and not be so cagey, either from the start or if we get ourselves ahead. Aside from the end to last season, we really struggle when put under the spotlight. I thought we had turned that corner so hopefully we have and display it in this game.
  • Options
    We need a win here, big performance from the lads. Still think we struggle up top but Jonny starts we win 2-0, i dont really like Hemed/Bonne as a pairing either.

Also personal opinion but i know we cant really change it but i would prefer if Doughty was an out and out winger rather than have to worry about defending, maybe thats for next year. 
  • Options

Great preview, on paper the least hardest game we have left, 3 points would be great.

1-0 Charlton

• Options
    For me Williams has to start but this is a huge game as we don't know how Reading will look at this...so we need 110% concentration... Everyone is right.. Win this and we are nearly over the line... Nearly! 
  • Options
    Reading play some nice football and can score goals, we have no threat up front so I see a 0-2 or a 1-2 to Reading