Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    His deficiencies must have been hugely frustrating for QPR when they spent millions on him. For L1 and a free/nominal fee, it's clear what his weaknesses are and he can still excel in the areas he's good at.
  • Options
    Washington was excellent yesterday.  Comfortably my MoM.

His movement along the front line made the difference.  His finishing was poor, but I'd back him to score ten this season.

He sort of gives the impression that he knows what he is doing ... unlike a few others.
  • Options
    I agree, he was excellent up until his finishing but we know that’s not his strength. 

He’s a handy player to have but if we can bring in another striker to play alongside Stockley we should.
  • Options
    Great assists from Conor yesterday. A simple pass but a lot that could go wrong with it but he controlled the ball well and weighted the pass perfectly. 

Thought he had a good game yesterday. He frustrates me a.bit as he’s so nearly a really good player but just comes up slightly short on a couple of key areas (e.g, his finishing yesterday). That’s why he’s in League One, I guess. His movement and energy are great though and he definitely helps make the team work better. He’s one of those engine-oil type players that makes the other parts of the team work better even if he himself isn’t standing out as a key component. 
    The new shape seemed to do both Washington and Stockley good. Defences either get pulled around by Washington's movement leaving Stockley to bulldoze through or they drop back to deal with Stockley leaving Washington unmarked. There's not going to be many defences at this level who relish facing that combination.

And then you add Lee making runs from deep, Kirk/DJ cutting in and possibly the pace of CBT and that's a potent attack if it all clicks.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Great assists from Conor yesterday. A simple pass but a lot that could go wrong with it but he controlled the ball well and weighted the pass perfectly. 

Thought he had a good game yesterday. He frustrates me a.bit as he’s so nearly a really good player but just comes up slightly short on a couple of key areas (e.g, his finishing yesterday). That’s why he’s in League One, I guess. His movement and energy are great though and he definitely helps make the team work better. He’s one of those engine-oil type players that makes the other parts of the team work better even if he himself isn’t standing out as a key component. 
    The new shape seemed to do both Washington and Stockley good. Defences either get pulled around by Washington's movement leaving Stockley to bulldoze through or they drop back to deal with Stockley leaving Washington unmarked. There's not going to be many defences at this level who relish facing that combination.

And then you add Lee making runs from deep, Kirk/DJ cutting in and possibly the pace of CBT and that's a potent attack if it all clicks.
    Do you think it was a deliberate change in shape and tactics or do you think we actually started well and dominated possession early on gave more confidence in the execution?

Pre match Adkins said Washington would play behind Stockley, which is where Morgan has ment to have been playing up until now.  Obviously Washington has a completely different skill set to Morgan but being the better team allows the whole team to be 10 yards further up.  The full backs also pushed up more, is that Chicken or egg?

Even going back to last season when we have played badly its looked like a 451 with Stockley very isolated, when we have played well it's more of a 244 when we are attacking.  A lot of the time Gilbey looked more like a second striker than an advanced midfielder when we were top. 
  • Options
    I have always been a fan of Washington. You just know he is going to give you 100% every game. The bloke must be a nightmare to play against as he just doesnt stop running. I know his finishing isnt great but then again if it was I dont think he would be playing for us 
  • Options
    I agree, he was excellent up until his finishing but we know that’s not his strength. 

He’s a handy player to have but if we can bring in another striker to play alongside Stockley we should.

Definitely need another striker as we are short and the Ronnie Saga runs and runs with no outcome in sight. 
    Washington had a 1 goal in 3 game average in League 1 before this season started. Not so good in Championship.

Conor will work his socks off every match but not a clinical finisher even if he plays central but it will increase his chances of scoring if he can be in and around the box and not stuck out on the left wing where he has to get on to his right foot and cut in.

About time a young striker could progress from our academy. Is Burstow someone who may step up ?
  • Options
    Think he’s my favourite player of the current squad. 
  • Options

Definitely need another striker as we are short and the Ronnie Saga runs and runs with no outcome in sight. 
    Washington had a 1 goal in 3 game average in League 1 before this season started. Not so good in Championship.

Conor will work his socks off every match but not a clinical finisher even if he plays central but it will increase his chances of scoring if he can be in and around the box and not stuck out on the left wing where he has to get on to his right foot and cut in.

About time a young striker could progress from our academy. Is Burstow someone who may step up ?
    Burstow sounds promising, as does Daniel Kanu in the u18s. Will also be interesting to see how Miles Leaburn develops, a tall striker just like his dad.
  • Options
    There were a lot of comments last season about a lack of connection to the players but I think Conor is the kind of player that fans will get behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A somewhat local lad from Chatham....I like him as he always gives 100%. Great game Saturday playing off Stockley which was what we were missing
  • Options
    Plus a lovely cross for their first goal. 
  • Options
    Would he be penalty taker for us? He did take a few last season and has a good record from the spot, but Stockley as Captain and "main" striker might take duties, or potentially someone like Lee.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Would he be penalty taker for us? He did take a few last season and has a good record from the spot, but Stockley as Captain and "main" striker might take duties, or potentially someone like Lee.
    Washington has scored 4 and missed 1 for us, Schwartz & Stockley have taken one each and both failed to score. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    We've had a penalty with them both on the pitch this season remember? He converted it (I was glad he didn't go to the same corner as last many).

Well done Washy - good to see him in this form!
  • Options
    Can we fit him, Stockley, Lee and two wingers into the same XI? I mean, Harry Arter could just do midfield on his own right? ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leuth said:
    Can we fit him, Stockley, Lee and two wingers into the same XI? I mean, Harry Arter could just do midfield on his own right? ;)

McGillivray
      Lavelle Inniss Famewo
           Morgan Arter
                    Lee
             DJ          Kirk
      Stockley Washington

Ohhhhhh I like it!
  • Options
    I am slightly concerned that Adkins won't be able to fit Lee in - it feels like he and Washington are fighting over one spot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I am slightly concerned that Adkins won't be able to fit Lee in - it feels like he and Washington are fighting over one spot
    Surely it's Lee vs Morgan vs Gilbey?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    thenewbie said:
    We've had a penalty with them both on the pitch this season remember? He converted it (I was glad he didn't go to the same corner as last many).

Well done Washy - good to see him in this form!
    I had forgotten that honestly. I think he's still first choice to be partner/playing off Stockley but hopefully Lee and Leko coming in gives us some competition and cover that will bring the best out of all three.
  • Options
    And then what about Leko etc etc

(I think Leko and Kirk might be the ones in competition tbf)
  • Options
    Gilbey has had long Covid. We can forget about him for a while
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Not the way we played last Saturday, with Morgan is one of the deeper 2. Lee and Washington were a lot more advanced up the pitch
  • Options
    If only he’d been fit to take the pen v Oxford.
    Class act Washington. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Lee or Gilbey if we play an AM. Morgan needs to be deeper where he can pick out their and others runs, rather than make those runs himself.
  • Options
    Anybody have a link to the International goals/assist?