Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    I like how he thinks all four Strikers are Championship quality

Would struggle to argue myself but its nice to hear that self-belief from players as breeds confidence
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/the-leagues-going-to-be-in-a-bit-of-trouble-conor-washington-has-message-for-charltons-rivals/

Interesting article and particularly like what he says here towards the end - obviously worked hard on his fitness and cardio and he slipped straight into the side looking sharp from the off. Compare that to say Williams who was rumoured to have slacked on his fitness through lockdown etc and didn't get game time because of it. 
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/the-leagues-going-to-be-in-a-bit-of-trouble-conor-washington-has-message-for-charltons-rivals/

Interesting article and particularly like what he says here towards the end - obviously worked hard on his fitness and cardio and he slipped straight into the side looking sharp from the off. Compare that to say Williams who was rumoured to have slacked on his fitness through lockdown etc and didn't get game time because of it. 
    Couple of things I've taken from it

Interesting that Washington appears to be the penalty taker for us, although bet Bogle would have taken it had it been 2-0 etc.

The other thing is how Washington mentions the fact that he saw Bowyer's quotes about not being a 20-goal striker and saw it as kidology... I know there has been a lot of talk about how Bowyer has spoken about him, but hope that Albie has a similar view whenever Lee has spoken about him in the press.
  • Options

Couple of things I've taken from it

Interesting that Washington appears to be the penalty taker for us, although bet Bogle would have taken it had it been 2-0 etc.

The other thing is how Washington mentions the fact that he saw Bowyer's quotes about not being a 20-goal striker and saw it as kidology... I know there has been a lot of talk about how Bowyer has spoken about him, but hope that Albie has a similar view whenever Lee has spoken about him in the press.
    Think Lee's always been quite obvious about how he uses the press to his advantage to press his players to improve in certain areas, he bashed Albie last year for not doing the defensive side of the game in the press, and I'm sure in training as well, then in his first start in ages on Tuesday Albie does exactly what Bows was calling for him to do and gets praised for it in the press by Lee. 

People have complained on here before that Bowyer is too critical in the press towards his own players but I'm certain its all calculated. When he first became manager Lee talked about how he'd picked up things from his managers in past like Bobby Robson etc, and how it influenced his style, and i'm sure I remember him giving an example where Robson had rinsed him for a missing part of his game (might have even been his defensive workrate) and pulled him from the team which made him work on that area so he could play again, and Bowyer was a better player for it. That's exactly what happened with Albie.

Same thing with Bonne who recently said he thought Bowyer didn't like him personally cause he gave him pelters at times in the press, but I'm sure given time that would've come round to fruition as well.

But back to the point, can't wait for Washington to score 25 goals this season and laugh at Bowyer for his miscalculation  ;)
  • Options
    Always good to have the workrate but ultimately forwards will be judged on their goal stats and it's great to see him get some early ones under his belt. If I'm honest I wasn't too excited when we signed him but he's made a terrific start and epitomises the spirit that all promoted sides need.
  • Options
    Washington has been excellent so far this season. 5 goals in 8 starts is very impressive when you consider the new team, and the fact he’s been asked to play slightly wider as well.

Can you imagine how many he might get when we have Maddison in the team creating alongside others like Shinnie and Gilbey. Playing off of one of Aneke or Bogle will help enormously too.

Really excited, he definitely could get 20 this season. 
  • Options
    Type of player Bowyer must love. Works extremely hard, contributes with goals and is versatile. 
  • Options

Great pic of his position as he’s about to strike the penalty .... I’ll be waiting for him to do a John Terry/ Beckham slip for his next penalty 
  • Options
    clive said:
    I like how he thinks all four Strikers are Championship quality

Would struggle to argue myself but its nice to hear that self-belief from players as breeds confidence
    All 4 strikers have been with Championship clubs and scored at that level.

Otherwise all subjective, of course.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has joined twitter today for anyone wanting to give him a follow

https://twitter.com/WashingtonConor
  • Options
    Has joined twitter today for anyone wanting to give him a follow

https://twitter.com/WashingtonConor
    Well now he's injured it'll give him something to do!
  • Options
    Smart bloke - using his spare afternoons and evenings to study sports science.
    Not his biggest fan but can’t not admire his graft. It’s hypocritical that I don’t like watching league 1 football because the standard is poor, but then moan that I can’t relate to any of the premier league players who earn £150k a week. Always nice to see a player having a career path in mind for when their playing career comes to an end.
  • Options
    And he follows the Hoff!

Good lad 😎
  • Options
    The Bradley Pritchard of our current squad
  • Options
    No real updates on his injury? Shame, he really was coming into his own with goals, allround play and penalties.  
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    No real updates on his injury? Shame, he really was coming into his own with goals, allround play and penalties.  
    Adkins said he wouldn't be available for "the Easter programme". This was before it was announced that Lincoln was off. No idea if he'll be ready for Sunderland but probably unlikely.
  • Options
    I think he's back for Sunderland if I read/saw something correct today 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I think it was inaccurate information, but Sky commentary mentioned he's likely to miss remainder of season. 

I hope it was a gaff rather than reliable info.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Smart bloke - using his spare afternoons and evenings to study sports science.
    He seems to read a few books as well, rare for a footballer!

Would be interesting to watch an interview with him, just seen that he used to be a postman. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    Conor Washington had won 3 MOM awards in a row before his injury in the first few minutes of the next match.
    We missed his 90 + minutes work rate and his potential goal scoring yesterday.

Young Ruud van Maatsen took his goal well but I can't see it working on a regular basis.

With 8 games left we need Conor to play in as many as possible. 
    Also sorley missed by NI
  • Options
    Conor is in my running for POTY. Was a great bit of business on a free. 

Hope he can get fit and get back to running his socks off asap. 

Didn’t we pay a fee, or was that gilbey?
  • Options
    Officially undisclosed, but that even that doesn’t guarantee we paid a fee. It may be that Hearts just didn’t want their fans thinking they gave him away for nothing.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f33e080c2eb7/done-deal-conor-washington-joins-on-two-year-deal
  • Options
    Does he play wide in this system or is he the number 9 ?