Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    A lot easier to take a penalty when you don't have Omar Bogle trying to steal the ball!
    Although Paddy McNair stole their second penalty which Connor wanted to take. NI have a rule that no one takes two pens in one game as it's perceived harder to fool the same keeper twice. But McNair scored his also to the keepers right.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I thought the first couple of penalties he took for us, although scored, were a bit ropey and, subsequently, I have never had total faith when he steps up to take one. Certainly nothing like I felt with players like Bent, Buyens, and Taylor. Have to say though, he seems to be improving and has shown to be very reliable from 12 yards.

I’m not sure how often Connor is going to play a full 90 minutes for us this season so I wonder who will be our taker if he is not on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Should have scored tonight in first half....took too long to get a shot off and Tucker blocked it....
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Makes sense as I didn't think at the time that taking him off made sense.
  • Options
    Damn,  another one of our he’ll easily get 10-15 goals this season players out injured 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I like Conor but is that the second one-on-one he's fluffed this season?
  • Options
    He's a quality player. Another one who will benefit from a run of games in a settled side.
    Hopefully the injury isn’t too serious.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    He's a quality player. Another one who will benefit from a run of games in a settled side.
    Hopefully the injury isn’t too serious.
    Quality? Really? Yeah he runs around a lot and works hard, but he’s just not very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    let us down a couple of times last night when we were playing well..
  • Options
    Horrible / rubbish pun but we defend from the front when Washington is in the team - The game @ Peterborough last season is evidence of that as his constant pressing was forcing their Defenders to hit it long.

We've certainly seen since he joined that he's a limited Striker and isnt as prolific as he could be.

Although its a shame that CBT's cutback was behind him, as reckon he'd have scored had he just needed to run on to it yesterday - Wasnt it against Bristol Rovers when we won 3-2 where he had a one vs one, had the effort save but luckily the ball bounced back into his path allowing him to put it in an empty net?

Rochdale 4-4 is another game where he fluffed a one vs one at the death.

But then again Wright-Phillips was no better
  • Options
    He's so one footed that makes it really obvious what the intentions are if the angles are being narrowed. Lets hope his goals don't come from penalties only.

But, we are a more energetic team with him. 
  • Options
    Both he and Albie are sharp at moving and dropping off into space in the channels.  It was alarming when he went off that if Purrington gambled an attacking overload, Gillingham had the whole pitch to run into second half.  First half Washington was blocking space and finding it on the left.  Would like to see him and Blackett Taylor on the same side, as he covers holes and allows play to switch quickly.  If Taylor can play on the left.....
  • Options
    All L1 teams have this issue, but in particular we seem this season to have a lot of uneven players, who are good in some aspects, but weak elsewhere.

Washington has good workrate and movement, but isn't a prolific goalscorer - the most he's scored in L1 is 13 with Posh
  • Options
      Scored 10 in half a season before sold to QPR.  I don't think he's any worse in one on ones than Bonne, but whilst Bonne in a good team will score more he's no factor outside the box.

I think Washington is one of our most important players.  There is space behind lot's of L1 defences.  With Blackett-Taylor threatening to bring the ball up the pitch, it gives a lot more opportunity to Washington to find the space in channels that we haven't done all season.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
      Scored 10 in half a season before sold to QPR.  I don't think he's any worse in one on ones than Bonne, but whilst Bonne in a good team will score more he's no factor outside the box.

I think Washington is one of our most important players.  There is space behind lot's of L1 defences.  With Blackett-Taylor threatening to bring the ball up the pitch, it gives a lot more opportunity to Washington to find the space in channels that we haven't done all season.
    10 in 25 isn't bad, but that was in a Posh team which scored and let in goals for fun, so would presumably have had lots of chances - they scored 82 and let in 73 that season!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Most strikers miss chances but the trouble is we create so few we expect a 100% conversion rate.
    2 out of 2 missed, no thanks
  • Options
    The definition of 'flatters to deceive'. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ColinTat said:

Fans won’t admit it but Bonne is a good finisher, much better in front of goal than Washington (Washington is better than Bonne in a lot of other areas). Good with both feet and can score in the air - his conversion rate in the Championship was phenomenal for someone with little pedigree. 

He’s already got a few this season and I’d expect him to comfortably score over 15 goals at this level. He’s a much better player than Charlie Wyke, who scored a lot last year.
  • Options
    Six yards out, hits it wide. One on one, took so long that I stopped watching the game, went and made a cup of tea, came back and he still hadn’t taken a shot.

when was the last time he scored from open play? I get that he works hard but I prefer a striker to actually score goals than defend from the front. 
  • Options
    Six yards out, hits it wide. One on one, took so long that I stopped watching the game, went and made a cup of tea, came back and he still hadn’t taken a shot.

when was the last time he scored from open play? I get that he works hard but I prefer a striker to actually score goals than defend from the front. 
    Bristol Rovers last season... Ironically a one vs one...  a Striker should worry more about scoring than defending from the front, but if they dont it gives the defender time to pick the pass they need to.

Gillingham did exactly the same in the second half.

Every time Lavelle / Pearce had the ball at 1-1, the front three for Gills all instantly went and closed the gap between themselves and Morgan / Watson - Meant those two couldnt turn if given the ball so our Centre-Backs were forced to go long (and give the ball back to the Gillingham defence) or send it wide to Purrington or Matthews which ended up as a Goal Kick.
  • Options
    I think he has the intelligence and commitment of a potential championship player, but his ability doesn't quite match up to his football brain. His movement is good, his positioning is good, he reads the game well, and his touch is decent but when he gets into those key positions - chances to shoot or cross - I never have faith he's going to deliver the goods. I like him, and he definitely should be found a place in our first choice XI, but he's also another one who is a bit of a nearly man - quick but not really quick, can finish but not totally reliably etc etc. He'd have been a fantastic supporting cast member in a team like the 18/19 play-off winners, but I'm not sure he's leading man material.
  • Options
    If he'd have played in L1 with Taylor think he'd have scored more than Bonne, Leko or Chuks.  The first chance he hit past the post was virtually impossible to get his body round.  With the advantage we all had watching, it's easy to say he should leave it for Lee, but in the speed of that play I think he'd have to have world class awareness to leave it:  Even then the ego of the few players like that, say a Rodriguez, Bergkamp or a Ronaldo, would probably take it on and fail a fair few times.  

Bonne missed devestatingly good chances in the Champ.  OK the defences he was up against were much better, but he also managed to miss for QPR unbelievable chances when he came on and defenders were tiring.  I'd wish for Washington to be more prolific, but like others have said however we're playing he attempts to do the work of 2 players.  This team needs him, and some of the others should try to get somewhere near his efforts.
  • Options
    So, he hasn’t scored from open play since Adkins has been manager?
  • Options
    Let's ignore his injury that occurred in the next game writing him off for the next 4 games and only playing a cameo in the next two.

No he hasn't scored from open play since.
  • Options
    For me, overall, I feel like we are a better side when Washington is in the side.

However his inability to finish the chances he creates for himself with his movement is a real problem. 
    Washo might miss chances that he creates for himself - but at least he creates those chances.

Compare to others who don't show the same movement. How many chances have they been creating?

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Let's ignore his injury that occurred in the next game writing him off for the next 4 games and only playing a cameo in the next two.

No he hasn't scored from open play since.
    So 12 possible games (appreciate not all starts) without a goal and something like 1 in 18 for Northern Ireland. Not great reading