Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2020/21 Europa League

Comments

• Options
    The binary final. 1:1, 11:10
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Hahahahahahahhahahahahaha all he had to do was save one, didn't even look like he was trying.

Heaton being signed by United too, wonder if this is DDG on his way out
    What a send off! 
  • Options
    It is ridiculous that you make tactical decisions for penalties with outfield players, but not the goalkeeper.
  • Options
    De Gea was lame in the shoot out and was fitting he missed 
  • Options
    It is ridiculous that you make tactical decisions for penalties with outfield players, but not the goalkeeper.
    Some do (or try to). Let's not forget the Kepa strop...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    All lining up for a sucker punch from United unfortunately
    Do you not want United to win ?
    After the debacle with the Super League, and the general fuckwittery of their fans and all the ex players who circle jerk themselves into a coma over them every game, why would you want them to win?
    I’d always want the English club to win in Europe (bar Millwall).

United, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc...I’d always want the English club to win in finals. 

I thought that was one of the benefits of supporting an average football team is not being impacted by rivalries at the top level. 

Is that just me then? Am I an outlier here?
    I said I wanted united if it was spurs /west ham or chelsea i wouldn't have wanted any of them to win .
    We hate everyone is what my one size fits all answer to the kids is , spread the hate 99% of it for millwall
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    After the debacle with the Super League, and the general fuckwittery of their fans and all the ex players who circle jerk themselves into a coma over them every game, why would you want them to win?

United, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc...I’d always want the English club to win in finals. 

I thought that was one of the benefits of supporting an average football team is not being impacted by rivalries at the top level. 

I wanted them to win tonight.

It's mainly Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I want to lose.

That said, I'm not that fussed they lost, either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So the last 10 finals between England and Spain is 10 -0 in Spain’s favour .  Says it all really 

Although De Gea will now return home to Spain a hero!
  • Options
    De Gea penalty saving technique:

If you said to me that due to a dressing room mix up before the game he ended up wearing his boots on his hands and his gloves on his feet I wouldn't have doubted it after watching that performance.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

To me thats absolutely crazy. The amount of plastic Chelsea, Arsenal, United fans i know is silly, they can’t even pronounce Charlton right - no way i’d want them to win in Europe ever (maybe PSG the exception)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

you must be made up with Saturdays champions league final then.

For me I have very rarely ever supported an English club in Europe. The ones that normally compete in European competitions are usually teams I dislike anyway and especially now as most of them were involved in the super league.
    Also for this particular game you can't help but go for the underdogs. Well done yellow submarine. 
  • Options
    Anyone but Liverpool 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

I’m the same, would always prefer the English team to win. If it’s two English teams playing I would prefer the team from London (if there is one) to win.

Obviously I don’t lose any sleep if the English team doesn’t win, and it’s unlikely my good wishes extend to Millwall and Palace!
  • Options
    I couldn’t really give a shit who won, just wanted to see English players in form. Shaw had a good game and AWB showed he could be useful in Qatar. Greenwood wasn’t too bad but I wouldn’t have poor old Marcus anywhere near our starting lineup.

Saturday I’ll be watching Foden, Stones, Sterling, James and Chilwell. Don’t care who wins it.
  • Options
    United aren’t an English team anymore. They’re one of the international clubs, they’re interests aren’t national but global.
  • Options
    I couldn't care less who won last night , showed when one minute i was cheering on Villareal then the next rashford done a good bit of play (possibly only bit in the game) and i was egging them to score. What a shocking final, Man U on paper had the team to do the job but couldnt break the wall and barely gave their keeper a shot to think about, considering how dodgy he looked against Arsenal i would have been shooting from distance and whipping the ball in as much as possible. 

What a fitting end to his career at United, a big shame as he was one of the best in the world just never really recovered his form, shocking that he hasn't saved a penalty since 2016. Henderson would have taken one too as he used to for England U20/U21 and is actually quite a decent penalty taker irony. 

Rashford, so frustrating. He tried too hard last night and just wouldn't fall for him. Also his finishing is pretty bad not sure if that was offside the tap in from Fernandes but regardless no excuse to miss that. In two minds whether he should be dropped completely based on that performance alone, although a cool penalty which could be useful. 

Great finish being a neutral and both keepers having a shocker, Rulu could have saved about 5 penalties, De Gea was nowhere near any really some really good penalties in there. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Villarreal are impressive in that they are from a very small town, with a population of just double the capacity of the stadium! They draw a lot of support from the surrounding area of Castellón though, and have a bit of money behind them. Always well liked in Spain though, by their nickname of 'the Yellow Submarine'.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

That is a very interesting question. I used to feel the same as you but realised several years ago that European success for the top English clubs just gives them more money and power and increases the gap between them and the rest. And as others have referred to, these clubs are no longer English. Non English owners, players and fans - like the rest of the PL and many in the EFL! So I have no longer have affinity with them based on my country of origin.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

No offence but how on earth could you have wanted Man Utd to win last night?

Only about 6 weeks ago they were one of the prime movers behind setting up the Super League - something that would drawn up the bridge behind them and made it impossible for anyone else not in that league to challenge them ever again.

And I feel that way about all of our so called big 6 (although for some strange reason I don't have much antipathy towards Man City)

If United had had their way, they would never have had to face the likes of Villarreal again. In their view why on earth waste time and energy playing against a small, provincial team that generates little income for them? Well last night proves that the beauty of football is that a smallish team like Villarreal can beat a so-called much bigger team. And football is so much better for that fact. 
    It's not the fans though, it's the Glazers - the fans were against the whole thing.  I can see both sides of the argument on wanting them to win/lose last night.